• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S reportedly passed the PS5 to be the second best-selling console in the UK in April

Redlight

This is what you call "persecution complex."

Console war race to second in ONE heavily supply-constrained market is irrelevant regardless of who gets the silver medal.

Not that I consider the console war relevant to begin with, but people will have fun as they can, I guess.
'Persecution complex' my fat hairy arse.

There are far more Sony fans here than any other platform so there's a naturally occurring bias that's perfectly understandable and most of that fanbase is okey dokey.

Unfortunately, there's also a sizeable squad of absolute die-hards that exhibit a blind (and aggravating) worship of all things Sony. They consider it their God-given duty to downplay and dismiss anything that isn't 100% pro-Sony and they are relentless in doing their holy work.

If you've been here for awhile you'd have to be wilfully blind not to see it.

People really underestimate supply chain issues.
If you ship more that's impressive on its own.

Not only demand is someone a sales person cares about. It's always an equations of supply and demand.

Let's see how much Sony will ship this quarter. Ps4 did 2.7m
So far Ps5 seems quite a bit below it.
And maybe Microsoft is finally able to increase supply. So far their supply was really bad.

yazenov

People really underestimate supply chain issues.
If you ship more that's impressive on its own.

Not only demand is someone a sales person cares about. It's always an equations of supply and demand.

Let's see how much Sony will ship this quarter. Ps4 did 2.7m
So far Ps5 seems quite a bit below it.
And maybe Microsoft is finally able to increase supply. So far their supply was really bad.

MS has only two countries where there is a demand for Xbox; Its the US and UK. So its much easier to restock and supply those 2 countries for MS.

Meanwhile , Sony's console have a worldwide appeal and the demand for the console is through the roof in every country. Its a good problem to have but its more diffucult logistics wise.

pasterpl

MS has only two countries where there is a demand for Xbox; Its the US and UK. So its much easier to restock and supply those 2 countries for MS.

Meanwhile , Sony's console have a worldwide appeal and the demand for the console is through the roof in every country. Its a good problem to have but its more diffucult logistics wise.

if there is demand only in 2 countries why series x is impossible to get across most of the other countries?

eg

pasterpl

I don't follow you. It's windows central part of neogaf? And in any case wasn't MS who said hardware sales doesn't counts anymore? But why everytime it beats ps5 their journalists scream to the world their victory? And it's the second time their victory is tied to the out of the stock of the ps5, at least to preserve a bit of dignity? I mean I wouldn't celebrate so much a second place if the other is retired to the race 🤷‍♂️ mind you I don't try to say their console sold badly but they seems to suffer about a complex of inferiority to the playstation sales.
My point was that when ps5 outsells xbsex in a particular month, team blue comments are in line with ones fro team green in this thread, but team green is not shitposting in the ps5 sales threads at the rate that team blue is in this one

pasterpl

it isnt. xbox is easy to get everywhere but usa.
Cannot seem to find series x ready available in USA, uk, Canada, Australia, Germany, France etc. Can you please give me an examples where Xbox series x is easy to get? now I am really curious.

SLB1904

Banned
Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

SLB1904

Banned
For £645......a scalper. I could go on Ebay and pay over the odds for a PS5 right now....means nothing.
yeah you are right. i didnt look at the price when i posted anyway

series s is readily available, also damn this thing is cheap.

Last edited:

yazenov

Cannot seem to find series x ready available in USA, uk, Canada, Australia, Germany, France etc. Can you please give me an examples where Xbox series x is easy to get? now I am really curious.

Notice how you try hard to ignore the series S and focus on the X to fit your narrative that the xbox is not available and it's selling out due to demand.

Fact is the series S is not selling out and is abundantly available. And the series X is not available because MS made its supply limited due to the lack of demand in countries outside of the US and Uk.

MS ship units according to the demand. The lack of demand leads to fewer shipments and supply.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Notice how you try hard to ignore the series S and focus on the X to fit your narrative that the xbox is not available and it's selling out due to demand.

Fact is the series S is not selling out and is abundantly available. And the series X is not available because MS made its supply limited due to the lack of demand in countries outside of the US and Uk.

MS ship units according to the demand. The lack of demand leads to fewer shipments and supply.
What a terrible post. Claiming that others are pushing narratives while performing some pretty horrible mental gymnastics to push your own narrative. If you're going to be this disingenuous, why bother posting?

The Xbox Series X and Series S are two different consoles for two different demographics. The PS4 Pro and the PS4 Slim are much the same; different machines to cater to different demographics. Claiming that, because the Series S is available, there is somehow little demand for "Xbox" is pure and simple bullshit. In Australia, my country, retailers stopped taking back orders for the Series X because they've sold out all shipments they have. Not just shipments on hand - they've already sold every single Series X console they know they'll ever receive from Microsoft. They had to delist the hardware because the orders were backed up so far in advance that it became a financial liability. The Series S is still available in some stores, but not all. However, it's a budget console for budget gamers. Given that we're still in the early adopter phase of this generation, amidst a global pandemic that has seen an explosion in spending on gaming hardware, its logical that most people looking to buy a console right now aren't interested in the budget console, so the Series S is not what people are looking to buy. Notice how you try hard to ignore this fact and pretend that the Series S and the Series X are entirely interchangeable to fit your narrative?

I also want a source on your second sentence: Microsoft has seen strong demand in nearly all western countries, middling demand in Europe, and virtually no demand in Asia. What western countries did Microsoft limit supply to in favour of just the US and the UK? Official press releases from Microsoft or its retail partners would be preferable, thank you.

Last edited:

pasterpl

if you wanted a series x in EU you would get it by now lets be honest. series x s are out of stock because ms isnt supplying enough.

edit: me: google buy xbox series x uk
google:https://www.onbuy.com/gb/microsoft-...bCbZATUQW22SEcB0QgYaArrXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

great, same shop sells ps5, so no stock issues then

lol...it is scalpers website with scalper prices

Just as sony is doing with China launch?
No need to ignore Series S,

my post clearly say Xbox series x, I am not talking about Xbox in general but series x(which I am stating in every reply), if I would try to ignore or bundle series s into this conversation I would say Xbox, I don’t have a problem with saying that there is no problem with getting series s. User I was originally replying to was bundling both series consoles into Xbox term in his original post while saying that it is easy to get, I am just proving a point that Xbox series x is not easily available.

my post clearly say Xbox series x, I am not talking about Xbox in general but series x(which I am stating in every reply), if I would try to ignore or bundle series s into this conversation I would say Xbox, I don’t have a problem with saying that there is no problem with getting series s. User I was originally replying to was bundling both series consoles into Xbox term in his original post while saying that it is easy to get, I am just proving a point that Xbox series x is not easily available.

But the post you've quote mentioned "Xbox", so, it means BOTH. That's why i've said there is no need to ignore S

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

https://www.worten.pt/gaming/xbox/consolas/xbox-series-x-s/consola-xbox-series-x-1-tb-7240976 thats in portugal

ps4 is more expensive
9HZgvBe.png

Last edited:

Zatzuken

This isnt surprising at all, i can go on amazon and have an xbox series s with me by tommorow, the same cannot be said for the series x and ps5.

SirTerry-T

Short ps5 supplies i live in uk and have been fighting to get a ps5 since ever with no avail. Not just me its my friends and my brother aswell and actually my brother has given up and thinking of buying a series x. But its a good win for microsoft at the moment but in a year or 2 they wont sell a unit.
Not even ONE single unit??!?
Fucking hell, what are Microsoft wasting theirs (and ours) precious time for then?
Here, have a GIF.
7K1E0YH.gif

yazenov

What a terrible post. Claiming that others are pushing narratives while performing some pretty horrible mental gymnastics to push your own narrative. If you're going to be this disingenuous, why bother posting?

The Xbox Series X and Series S are two different consoles for two different demographics. The PS4 Pro and the PS4 Slim are much the same; different machines to cater to different demographics. Claiming that, because the Series S is available, there is somehow little demand for "Xbox" is pure and simple bullshit. In Australia, my country, retailers stopped taking back orders for the Series X because they've sold out all shipments they have. Not just shipments on hand - they've already sold every single Series X console they know they'll ever receive from Microsoft. They had to delist the hardware because the orders were backed up so far in advance that it became a financial liability. The Series S is still available in some stores, but not all. However, it's a budget console for budget gamers. Given that we're still in the early adopter phase of this generation, amidst a global pandemic that has seen an explosion in spending on gaming hardware, its logical that most people looking to buy a console right now aren't interested in the budget console, so the Series S is not what people are looking to buy. Notice how you try hard to ignore this fact and pretend that the Series S and the Series X are entirely interchangeable to fit your narrative?

I also want a source on your second sentence: Microsoft has seen strong demand in nearly all western countries, middling demand in Europe, and virtually no demand in Asia. What western countries did Microsoft limit supply to in favour of just the US and the UK? Official press releases from Microsoft or its retail partners would be preferable, thank you.

Funny you asked me for a source when most of your post are anecdotal evidence with no facts to back it up from your local stores.

Isn't the Series S priced as a mass market appeal device capable of playing Game pass games and next gen games on a budget? Strange how the mass market largely ignored this product and its collecting dust on the shelves. Im merely pointing out that the series S is a next gen product and people saying that xbox is selling out similar to the Playstation is not accurate in their statement, as they are ignoring the series S.

Fact is if a product is not selling out and sitting on shelves, Retailers won't order more units as they will take up valuable space. Those valuable spaces are current being occupied by the series S. So basically, retailers are hesitant to stock up on Xbox consoles because the demand for them is low. The weakest link being the series S.

You misunderstood me when I said MS is focusing on UK and US and limiting supply to other countries. They are limiting supply not by choice but due to demand or lack of it. Suppliers aren't ordering more units of Xboxs since they aren't selling out.

Do you need a source for commen sense?

Also due to historical data, we know that demand for Xbox are low outside of the US and UK. Check all the sales threads for "sources". Check the Japan media create thread and PAL threads for sources buddy.

Last edited:
Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone are open world games.
Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part II are third person action-adventure games

Wow, way to be perpetually offended to state the obvious. One can still argue anyway those are linear games since the story-based narrative events flow simply one way, there are not many if any branch paths in the story that can lead to a vast variety of endings.

Xbox fanboys such as yourself (don't deny it at this point, it's obvious)

Yep, such an Xbox fanboy I'm mainly playing SNES and PlayStation games this weekend. Maybe you are projecting yourself onto me and you just incessantly call other people Xbox fanboys out some guilt of being a giant shill yourself? Dunno, maybe go see a psychiatrist about it 🤷‍♂️

try to make a blanket statement by saying they're all the same which they're clearly different. That would be like saying all Xbox games are the same because they're all First-Person action games and all their new studios would be making games just like that, too.

It wasn't a blanket statement; it was a general to-the-point statement since it was barely the focus of that post. The point there was, when most of these people who keep asking for MS to release "1P bangers" do so, they usually keep bringing up the sort of Sony games that fit that label more closely than others.

But here you are getting offended and triggered thinking I made the mention as a qualitative statement, like I was inferring one type of game is inherently better than the other. No, that's YOU reading into it because you have some bias against me picturing me as something I'm not. Go deal with that off the forum.

We know which games generally attract gamers and that's the big budget triple A releases. They're the ones that receive the biggest marketing budgets in an attempt to lure gamers into their ecosystem. That's what Xbox has been lacking over the past 5 years and they're still struggling out of the gate with the Xbox Series X|S when it comes to big heavy hitter titles.

So once again, suddenly 3P games magically don't count. Also maybe take a look at Sony's own software figures before making these claims while conveniently ignoring that 3P releases make up 83% of their own platform's software revenue and, uh, last I checked the vast majority of those are on Xbox as well.

You guys can never quantify what a "big budget AAA release" even is, you say this like it's a single type of game, in a single type of genre. But I can generally infer what you mean when you say it, which shows how limited that talking point really is. Also your statement here is chock full of hypocrisies and unintended ironies; "biggest marketing budgets" could also mean things you probably don't want to think they could mean, like access media privileges in return for early copies and free sway (this stuff happens in the movie industry all the time you would be naive to think it doesn't happen in gaming as well).

You are making a very selfish argument because truth be told there are many other things that draw people into a gaming ecosystem outside of just 1P AAA games; I mentioned a lot of those and while it's debatable if PS5 is as good at some of those other things mentioned, nonetheless it does provide them which are also draws in and of themselves. You guys forever get caught in narrow-minded tunnel vision and you just end up recycling the same stale talking points over and over even with literal proof that those talking points either aren't true, or don't hold up in practice the way they do in your imagination.

Now leave me alone while I go have some time with my PlayStation (uh oh maybe I can't play that anymore since I just made a post that didn't completely kick Xbox in the balls and licked PlayStation's butthole 😲 :messenger_weary: )

When did that come to console?
It's coming this year? Oh and are we shifting the goalposts again to conveniently shut out PC when it comes to platform-holder 1P list wars that didn't specify console-only at first?

Xbox 360 pioneered online gaming in consoles and had a bigger library than ps3 multiplats even performed better on 360 but the lack of blockbuster exclusives like uncharted and god of war on ps3 was the reason the ps3 outsold the 360.

By a literal 3 million units. After Microsoft ceased 360 production earlier. And after Sony lost their biggest market in the USA to both Microsoft and Nintendo that generation.

You people act like it was a PS4/XBO situation with PS3/360. Absolutely not the case. One thing I will agree on is that MS dropped the ball on AAA exclusives at the tail-end of the 360's life, focusing on Kinect instead. Meanwhile during that same time window Sony pushed out arguably their biggest 1P release that gen in TLOU, all of which helped build back up rapport that PS4 benefited from.

But prior to that? They had plenty of AAA exclusives both from 1P and 3P (the Mass Effect games for example never even came to the PS3), let's not pretend they had no big games for that entire generation.

And now with ps5 theres more playstation blockbusters coming, and with the dialsense to which i think is very enjoyable. The series x will be outsold unless they do something about it.

Depends on what you consider a "blockbuster". Is it in reviews? Sales? Userbase sentiments? Demon's Souls Remake is a great game but is not a major seller at all, does that mean it's suddenly a failure? As for Xbox, they have several noteworthy games coming this year starting very soon, I wouldn't worry much on that front.

I don't think Dualsense in the grand scheme of things makes much of an impact, if they really feel a need to bring similar they can just release a new controller and start to package that in as the default with new SKU revisions. But in the same breath, one could say Sony needs to do something to match certain Series features like Quick Resume (or let alone allowing M.2 SSD installation in the PS5 which...still isn't here, yet).

Theres no emptions here its just facts. Gamepass is fantastic and makes me wish i had a series x for multiplats but then again ill build a pc for that not that i dont want the xbox its because gamepass is on pc aswell and i can comtinue with my app development, game development projects.

Cool, well in either case if you go Series or go PC, MS just wants people in the ecosystem of which both are a part of. Side note though, GP on PC isn't 100% the same as GP on Xbox; for example Outriders is not on GamePass PC, and there are other variations in title availability as well. Features like FPS Boost, IIRC, are also not present on the PC version of GP (or at least not as much).

Hit 2 birds with one stone. So for that reason gamepass will run out of gas as a reason for people to purchase a series x. The xbox needs blockbusters and its not the consoles reason its the management.

The management that's been keenly aware of prior failures under different heads running the division including when Microsoft as a whole were looking for reasons to cut the division's budgets during the 2015-2017 period, and have been working to try fixing things since Phil took over and they began acquisitions in 2018?

I agree in a sense that GamePass alone can't sell the platform long-term, as ultimately a service is nothing without its content. But I vehemently disagree with people who continue to pretend GamePass has no games or only mediocre games (even though the vast majority of its games are 80 MC or higher and the software itself is highly curated, i.e there's no equivalent to Black Tiger (PSN Store) on GamePass), or that the 1P content won't eventually arrive, including the heavy-hitting software.

All signs point to that content coming; simply having a basic understanding of probability and statistics, there is a good probably at least SOME of the teams they have as 1P now will deliver the type of "AAA bangers" to shut some of the doubters up, due to the sheer volume of teams they now have. I personally would say that is a likelihood for the majority of their teams actually, even if I have doubts with one in particular (343i; Infinite's shown improvements but I'm still waiting for the next gameplay reveal).

Overall, Xbox will have a lot of strong reasons outside of GamePass to justify itself to customers at large, I don't see that as a point worth worrying about.

Mr Moose

It's coming this year? Oh and are we shifting the goalposts again to conveniently shut out PC when it comes to platform-holder 1P list wars that didn't specify console-only at first?
Shifting goalposts? More like padding lists with games not available on the consoles. This thread is about consoles, you know?

assurdum

Banned
My point was that when ps5 outsells xbsex in a particular month, team blue comments are in line with ones fro team green in this thread, but team green is not shitposting in the ps5 sales threads at the rate that team blue is in this one
Still you continue to talk about fans when I was talking about MS press...anyway I barely seen shitposting about the Sony press as MS did for the respective hardware announcement.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

You should check the price about ps5 by the scalpers. Now tell me series X has the same level of prices. Just to give an idea how crazy is the ps5 demand even compared the X. Maybe in US but no way series X is priced as is it the ps5 around the world by the same scalpers.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't think Dualsense in the grand scheme of things makes much of an impact,
You are free to think that, but for me it is The deciding factor (if devs use it decently and the difference as far as the rest of the game is concerned is small enough) for multiplatform titles I want to own. Motion controls + Haptics Feedback + Adaptive Triggers + good quality controller speaker…. All coupled with quite low latency.

The controller is what connects you to the game (like tires and suspensions connect your car to the road), any change to it can be well received and enhance the gameplay or it can be hated (see Wii U GamePad) and sour the rest of the game Experience for some players.
This is not to know down the XSX controller, it’s DPad is now a major factor why some games are now maybe Xbox first (face buttons could be a bit better, but the DPad got a lot lot better, it trades blows with the DS now and both lose against PS Vita’s one).

if they really feel a need to bring similar they can just release a new controller and start to package that in as the default with new SKU revisions.
That would not get the same level of adoption (not packaged in with every console) and developers use on it would be affected by this (so maybe for XSX2), you can see that if would be the case and maybe give Sony some props for innovating with the controller instead of being so dismissive about it :p.

Last edited:

There are far more Sony fans here than any other platform so there's a naturally occurring bias that's perfectly understandable and most of that fanbase is okey dokey.

Unfortunately, there's also a sizeable squad of absolute die-hards that exhibit a blind (and aggravating) worship of all things Sony. They consider it their God-given duty to downplay and dismiss anything that isn't 100% pro-Sony and they are relentless in doing their holy work.

this post is hilarious.

Just because the forum has more sony fans which lets be honest there is more sony fans worldwide and even in USA and UK xbox biggest markets, so of course that will reflect on gaming forums, and it means absolutely nothing.

All one has to do is look at the gamepass thread to see that persecution complex in overdrive. The meltdowns and account suicides that happened when it was first made were a sight to behold. Xbox fans might be less here, but that doesn't stop them being overly vocal. The amount of times I see the gaf conspiracy card against all things xbox is laughable. Always playing the victim, its legit entertaining.

Apparently people playing down sales figures isn't logical (since when there is supply it sells out instantly), but its again that conspiracy by sonygaf to play down all things xbox.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Or maybe you should mind your own damn business and stay out of it just like you can say something stupid. I can say what I want to say. I'm more reasonable than you stupid fanboys on here and elsewhere, fanboys need to call out, not be allowed to speak their pathetic nonsense. People on here should act like adults not be a child and still act like 13-year-olds comparing which plastic dick size is bigger, it's annoying. Anything else you need?

Err, what? I'm not fanboying anything and your the one throwing a tantrum like a 2 year old. You can't tell the kids to behave while ranting up and down like a crazy person, they will just copy you.

oldergamer

100% agree with that statement. anyone claiming otherwise is acting oblivious and trying to fool themselves.

I've been on the receiving end of some of the most ridiculous Sony fanboy venom (I should post the death threats just as an example) that i don't see coming from any of the other camps.

Last edited:

Goalus

You should check the price about ps5 by the scalpers. Now tell me series X has the same level of prices. Just to give an idea how crazy is the ps5 demand even compared the X. Maybe in US but no way series X is priced as is it the ps5 around the world by the same scalpers.
PS5 is bulkier and probably also heavier.
This results in increased handling costs for scalpers, and it is only natural that they pass these on to their customers.

yazenov

One point people are neglecting is that from a retailer's point of view, I'd be more invested in pushing the PS rather than the Xbox because of the following reasons:

1- Game Pass.

With the PS5, more software would be sold with the console. Since MS is pushing Game Pass hard and is changing it's consumers habits towards the rental service rather than buying games, its lies counter to their interest (retailers) to sell software. You can see this habit displayed in the UK charts where PS boxed software where the physical multiplatform games has a 80-90% ratio in favour of Playstation. Sure the PS5 has an all digital version, but its the lesser of 2 evils.

2- DualSense.

You can see that this is by far the most popular accessory of any console since its a brand new product and that new games aren't supported by the Dual shock controllers. Its not forward compatible like the Xbox controllers that works on the new Xbox systems, therefore, less sales.

So if I'm a 3rd party retailer, it would be in my best interest that I sell more PS5 than Xbox because id be generating more money on the consoles sold from software and accessories. Therefore, I would push consumers toward PS ( more shelves spaces and more visibility). Game Pass is really a doubled edged sword for Microsoft.

Last edited:

Vognerful

you are right, which makes the xbox a better bargain as it is cheaper than PS5DE

Top Bottom