• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S reportedly passed the PS5 to be the second best-selling console in the UK in April

On Demand

Banned
Dude, you think I give a fuck? I mean seriously......Hold on let me act surprise.....Hold on let me get ready.

Okay I'm ready

"LIKE OMG, OMG, OMG, *SCREAMING* - *CRYING* THE CONSOLES ARE SLOWING DOWN IN SALES WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!!!!! HELP ME JESUS HELP ME GAMING JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THE GAMING INDUSTRY!!!!! OH, GOD!"

--- Is that better for you. I said what I said let's celebrate whatever but you don't need to be a complete fucking dick about it. That is why fanboys will always be scums either that be PlayStation, Nintendo, PC, and Xbox.

Again, I have no idea what you’re on on about. You sound so dumb. Calm down please.

Stop being upset and pay attention to the conversation. PS5 stock is low. So low that PS4 outsold it.

Read my post again. Slowly this time.

Don’t know what you’re on a rampage about.

People need to use the context of PS4 selling more than PS5 in April instead of jumping to conclusions. Sony didn’t ship as much PS5’s in April

Got my Xbox Series X today through Xbox store in the UK, was pretty lucky only in stock for about 20mins. Lovely piece of kit mind, heavy but surprisingly small and compact. Just hoping Phil blows us away next month at E3, really want a game to push both Series consoles.

assurdum

Banned

• According to the report, the Xbox Series X|S duo comfortably passed the PS5 amidst its lagging supply.
  • The Nintendo Switch retained its top spot, however, where it continues to dominate console sales.
  • The Xbox Wireless Controller also beat out the PS5 DualSense for best-selling controller in the UK.

it sold more BUT. Windows Central never change.

Last edited:

T-Barbs

To make a fair and valuable comparison in the same time window, shouldn' t 2 different products not only be available, but actually exceed the customers' demand?

My guess is Sony reduced the supply of PS5s in some regions to increase the allocation of units for the China launch on May 15th.

I hope console gaming, especially PS5, becomes big in China. The Chinese will fund the development of our next games.

How exactly is the ups and downs of supply in a single market noteworthy? It doesn't even give any indication of what the supply actually is, because more consoles may have gone elsewhere, and there's zero info on that. The desperation is in trying to make that sound like a win when constraints make the race irrelevant and neither console actually won anything anyway, because the Switch is at the top. Do you seriously, honestly, find the race to second interesting in a supply-constrained market where there's no way to know what the customers would actually buy if there was supply matching demand?

More like seconds.
Why the hell are you so stuck up over what people find noteworthy? The matter of fact is that if the PS5 is having stock issues, that’s on them and the sales will reflect that just like we’re seeing posted here.

The interesting part you ask? Well it shows that even though PS is in higher demand, Xbox are able to compete (for now) because they are able to produce more units for the given market. Will it change? Definitely but it’s interesting because to me, it shows one of two things. Either the design of the PS5, Dualsense and whatever else is causing them difficulty to produce enough systems to meet current demand, or they have prioritised larger markets with more units.

Another thing to note that if this trend continues, it could result in the UK being an Xbox dominated market again due to Sony not being able to meet demand in the early years of the console cycle.

That all said, it’s not that serious and is all just a bit of fun on a forum. Wild speculation and bad predictions etc. Lighten up and don’t get so agitated by a harmless post.

What part of it is funny? That post simply expresses my sympathy (and bafflement) for people who have to distort something like this into a "win" to appease a brand-aligned console warrior reader base. I'd be extremely distressed being constricted to doing unpaid marketing for a console brand ignoring and/or dismissing the rest of the industry regardless of whether they may have games I'm interested in.

Thing is though, your post was the 2nd post in the thread so for whatever reason it comes off like you were preemptively trying to shut that kind of thing down with no prior examples happening in the thread...because the thread had just started. If that was something you did to speak on people doing it in other places, then I guess that's okay but again...why bother?

We know there's always going to be a handful of people who use news like this for console war fodder, that's just a given. IMO it's more pertinent to make note of it if you see it happening in the thread or in other spots on this forum, since this is where you're posting. And I suppose also on ERA, for as much as they try to run away from their GAF lineage....they're still NeoGAF 2.0.

Reaching out further WRT meta-commentary in other places IMO is best reserved for when building up evidence to support a point in a discussion that in itself goes meta (or opens the chance for it to).

Have you seen posts quoting articles from PlayStation fanboy sites that headlined something like "PS5 beat Xbox Series X|S in X?" where the Switch was actually first? Because In that case, yes. I'd judge them exactly the same way. I haven't seen any tho. Not saying they don't exist, but if they do, I've missed em.

Personally? No. Not articles per se, because I don't go looking for gaming articles unless others point ones out they think are worth reading. However, I HAVE seen various videos with titles just like that. Not just from console fanboys, but even reportedly legit gaming channels like Dualshockers and MojoPlays.

So what you're describing definitely happens (and to be fair, the inverse also happens though not at as high a pitch).

If you find it idiotic, why do you care so much that you have to make an unfitting comparison with a forum where people are banned on sight with inane motivations simply for writing something a moderator arbitrarily did not like?

I don't think it was unfitting; saw the same thing happening here as I saw on the ERA thread. People kept running to the non-answer of "it's a supply issue, that's why PS5 didn't sell more"...as if that is a revelatory thing. We've known for MONTHS that PS5 and the Series systems (particularly the X) are heavily supply-constrained to meet demand.

However, when PS5 sales numbers or figures would pop up for various UK and NPD threads, and PS5 was placing higher, you didn't see too many people trying to say why Series X was coming in third, did you? I didn't. I saw a lot of those same people either concern-trolling about lack of demand for Series X (even if demand may not be at as high a fever pitch as is for PS5, there is definitely a lot of demand for Series X to the point it's selling out its stock pretty much instantly), or just praising PS5's performance due to demand.

Suddenly here's an instance of Series X selling more than PS5 in a region for a month and now these people need to "remind" us that it's due to lack of supply for PS5 (which is both a months-old answer, and something still affecting Microsoft's product they keep conveniently forgetting), and overall just having a very muted, almost pessimistic take on Xbox's performance due to this. That's a very clear bias by those people, and there's been a LOT of it in this thread and the ERA thread, so unfortunately can't say it's an unfitting comparison :/

Like I said, how hard would it be for these folks to just give a simple congrats and move on? Or better yet, not say anything? Because if they're simply going to give supply as an excuse, they're adding nothing new to the picture (and for those bringing up PS5's Chinese launch, are only proving what was already known months ago i.e Sony frontloading shipments to a smaller range of select markets like America during the launch period).

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Like I said, how hard would it be for these folks to just give a simple congrats and move on?

I don't know about these folks, but I'll give congrats when congrats are due (for instance, I've been congratulating MSFS a LOT for making my favorite game), not when a bad article by a brand fanboy website tries to clumsily and artificially create a non-story to appease its fanboy readership.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

How the hell can they, they are not the highest bidder, if this was computer parts or mobile parts then sure that could be possible, but this is for gaming consoles which are not important. These chips are being produced and sold to the highest bidder and those buyers are phone companies like Apple & Samsung. Remember we are in the middle of the year where new phones should be announced and by the time it hits September, there should be new phones out.
they could have altered their allocation based on region like shifting more Asia supply to UK.

Aren't you the guy that ran dualshockers, that wrote 2 paragraph blogs daily for N4G? If so, you should be editing most of this post.

Anyway, series consoles obviously got a restock whilst the ps5 didn't.
Dual shockers is the name of a sexual technique that evolved from one in the pink one in the stink. It involved the gigapower of a neo geo aes focused on two orifices.

MilkyJoe

Gotta be seriously desperate to resort to rumormongering for a "victory" in the race to second place that isn't anything more than "Console manufacturer X managed to put more consoles on the market than console manufacturer Y in a specific month in a specific market, because everything is put in the market is sold."

Writing for a brand fanboy website must be hard... 🤔
The irony of this post 😂🤣

• According to the report, the Xbox Series X|S duo comfortably passed the PS5 amidst its lagging supply.
  • The Nintendo Switch retained its top spot, however, where it continues to dominate console sales.
  • The Xbox Wireless Controller also beat out the PS5 DualSense for best-selling controller in the UK.

Short ps5 supplies i live in uk and have been fighting to get a ps5 since ever with no avail. Not just me its my friends and my brother aswell and actually my brother has given up and thinking of buying a series x. But its a good win for microsoft at the moment but in a year or 2 they wont sell a unit.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
And how much do you get paid to write for SonyGaf? :p

Much less than XboxGAF.

SmartSelect_20210513-234254_Twitter.jpg

Capturar.PNG

SmartSelect_20210513-234327_Twitter.jpg

Derktron

Banned
they could have altered their allocation based on region like shifting more Asia supply to UK.
It is still to the highest bidder, again when I see the damn consoles at Walmart at 9 PM or 10 PM and it's available to buy then they are more available. In the meantime, they are not.

At the rate we are going with these seemingly never-ending XSX and especially PS5 shortages, Nintendo Switch will probably end up winning this generation.

Last edited:
I don't know about these folks, but I'll give congrats when congrats are due (for instance, I've been congratulating MSFS a LOT for making my favorite game), not when a bad article by a brand fanboy website tries to clumsily and artificially create a non-story to appease its fanboy readership.
TBF, games journalism has just been kinda shit in general. If your derision was directed at the way the article was written, I can understand (although I wouldn't say the site itself is there to please fanboys...I have seen Tom troll with certain Twitter posts time to time though).

But to the grander things I was mentioning, yeah it is definitely a thing and I've picked up on it over time. If you specifically were more about how certain sites might try framing that kind of news for clicks, then that's fair, because quite a few do that as well. So in a way I think we're both right on salient points (tho my own are more focused on members of the gaming community and how they engage in meta discussion on stuff like this).

Nothing about being a fanboy, its just how xbox is this days, microsoft still hasnt found their momentum.

Speak for yourself; for a lot of people they certainly seemingly have. They have a great service, great systems with a lot of beneficial QoL features, great 3P support and an ecosystem that's very scalable. And if you're into certain types of games like simulators, racers, of MMO-style offerings have a great deal of that already on the 1P front with new stuff on the way.

They haven't made any of the mistakes they did leading up to XBO, have been pretty much focused on games and offering customers a lot of entry points into the ecosystem with content and features to keep them there. Only people who literally (ironically) want a type of major 1P AAA games RIGHT NOW that's exactly like a Sony third-person action-adventure, Hollywood-style linear story-driven mature game share your opinion, and it's one among only a small group of people in the grand scheme of things as even people who love those kind of games don't want to see another platform holder offering essentially just more of the same.

Much less than XboxGAF.

SmartSelect_20210513-234254_Twitter.jpg

Capturar.PNG

SmartSelect_20210513-234327_Twitter.jpg
Ah, we're using the KingThrash "Gamerscore validation" testing method, I see. Yes I'll trust that channel that is in no way a circlejerk console warrior circus whatsoever xD.

Also worth noting, not everyone plays a single game from start to finish with no other games in-between. There's also a thing called "life" folks gotta do sometimes where they can't play games for certain reasons ;)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ah, we're using the KingThrash "Gamerscore validation" testing method, I see. Yes I'll trust that channel that is in no way a circlejerk console warrior circus whatsoever xD.

Also worth noting, not everyone plays a single game from start to finish with no other games in-between. There's also a thing called "life" folks gotta do sometimes where they can't play games for certain reasons ;)

He said every night = reality 2 weeks ago. Lied about PS5 having no games. You don't even need a brain to see what's wrong.

Etalsnart

Neo Member
They haven't made any of the mistakes they did leading up to XBO, have been pretty much focused on games and offering customers a lot of entry points into the ecosystem with content and features to keep them there. Only people who literally (ironically) want a type of major 1P AAA games RIGHT NOW that's exactly like a Sony third-person action-adventure, Hollywood-style linear story-driven mature game share your opinion, and it's one among only a small group of people in the grand scheme of things as even people who love those kind of games don't want to see another platform holder offering essentially just more of the same.

People want good games, it doesn't matter what genre or type of game its, last gen told us that much. At least Nintendo and Sony have been delivering those.

People want good games, it doesn't matter what genre or type of game its, last gen told us that much. At least Nintendo and Sony have been delivering those.

And they have them. Ori 2, Gears Tactics, Gears 5, FS 2020, even The Medium for some folks. Those games are already there and there will be more coming. Unless suddenly 3P games do not exist which of course they don't when the talking point is to keep trying to argue a system with hundreds of games has no games.

At least just say there aren't 1P games present yet that you specifically would be into. That is at least a respectable opinion; the hyperbolic catchphrases (or at least they sound like catchphrases at this point) are not only wrong but lazy and nauseating. And not every exclusive from Nintendo and Sony have been great, even over the past year.

Heck some outright hate Returnal; if they had reasons pointing to game design decisions or objective technical failings (just saying as an example; personally it's a game I would probably dig but the roguelike nature is kind of a turn-off), would you acknowledge those and their personal opinion on the matter or try arguing they're objectively wrong because it doesn't align with your own opinion? :/

He said every night = reality 2 weeks ago. Lied about PS5 having no games. You don't even need a brain to see what's wrong.

Plays under multiple accounts? Also isolating three games he coincidentally hasn't touched in a couple weeks doesn't mean he's not touched any game over that time frame. There's literally no proof of your argument with those screen caps xD.

You can interpret the "PS5 has no games" line literally but you'd know he would be wrong just like how others are literally wrong when they try saying Xbox has no games. But maybe he means it has no games that he is personally interested in on the 1P side; even if a lot of others would disagree with him (I certainly would), it's...his opinion.

He's entitled to it even if it's an odd one to have and high likelihood of it being lazily arrived to on his end. Then again, the same can be said for a good number of people who try making the equivalent argument about Xbox 1P content.

TBF, games journalism has just been kinda shit in general. If your derision was directed at the way the article was written, I can understand (although I wouldn't say the site itself is there to please fanboys...I have seen Tom troll with certain Twitter posts time to time though).

But to the grander things I was mentioning, yeah it is definitely a thing and I've picked up on it over time. If you specifically were more about how certain sites might try framing that kind of news for clicks, then that's fair, because quite a few do that as well. So in a way I think we're both right on salient points (tho my own are more focused on members of the gaming community and how they engage in meta discussion on stuff like this).

Speak for yourself; for a lot of people they certainly seemingly have. They have a great service, great systems with a lot of beneficial QoL features, great 3P support and an ecosystem that's very scalable. And if you're into certain types of games like simulators, racers, of MMO-style offerings have a great deal of that already on the 1P front with new stuff on the way.

Xbox 360 pioneered online gaming in consoles and had a bigger library than ps3 multiplats even performed better on 360 but the lack of blockbuster exclusives like uncharted and god of war on ps3 was the reason the ps3 outsold the 360.

And now with ps5 theres more playstation blockbusters coming, and with the dialsense to which i think is very enjoyable. The series x will be outsold unless they do something about it. Theres no emptions here its just facts. Gamepass is fantastic and makes me wish i had a series x for multiplats but then again ill build a pc for that not that i dont want the xbox its because gamepass is on pc aswell and i can comtinue with my app development, game development projects. Hit 2 birds with one stone. So for that reason gamepass will run out of gas as a reason for people to purchase a series x. The xbox needs blockbusters and its not the consoles reason its the management.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone are open world games.
Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part II are third person action-adventure games

Xbox fanboys such as yourself (don't deny it at this point, it's obvious) try to make a blanket statement by saying they're all the same which they're clearly different. That would be like saying all Xbox games are the same because they're all First-Person action games and all their new studios would be making games just like that, too.

We know which games generally attract gamers and that's the big budget triple A releases. They're the ones that receive the biggest marketing budgets in an attempt to lure gamers into their ecosystem. That's what Xbox has been lacking over the past 5 years and they're still struggling out of the gate with the Xbox Series X|S when it comes to big heavy hitter titles.

Three

240px-Bronze_Medal_meme_4.jpg

The thread in a picture.

people understand the context of the creation of this thread. Nobody has ever created a thread celebrating second place like this. Especially for a month where there was no console stock either just to say they beat the third place guy who didn't even attend. Wars I guess.

A quick glance at this page of the thread contains,

46 total posts.
5 posts could be considered Xbox fanboy posts.
12 posts could be considered PS fanboy posts.
29 posts weren't considered either. Most were posts directed at the duelshuckers guy.

Despite the inevitable narrative that will occur if hasn't already. It's clear that Sony console warriors are both,
A. Bothered that the PS5 sold poorly in the UK in April.
B. Are largely responsible for both the amount of time as well as pages this thread has lasted.

Woopah

At the rate we are going with these seemingly never-ending XSX and especially PS5 shortages, Nintendo Switch will probably end up winning this generation.
Switch has a good chance to become the best selling platform of all time. Of course PS5 could then outsell Switch eventually and itself become the best selling platform. We'll have to see what happens in the years to come.

assurdum

Banned
Check any thread re sales on this forum when ps5 is outselling Xbox
I don't follow you. It's windows central part of neogaf? And in any case wasn't MS who said hardware sales doesn't counts anymore? But why everytime it beats ps5 their journalists scream to the world their victory? And it's the second time their victory is tied to the out of the stock of the ps5, at least to preserve a bit of dignity? I mean I wouldn't celebrate so much a second place if the other is retired to the race 🤷‍♂️ mind you I don't try to say their console sold badly but they seems to suffer about a complex of inferiority to the playstation sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom