• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S reportedly passed the PS5 to be the second best-selling console in the UK in April

Kagey K

Banned
Must be Series S sales as Series X seems the most difficult console to get here in the UK.
I don't get this thought.

Like are there a bunch of unattractive women sitting around hoping someone will pick them up until they find their true mate?

This whole buying what you don't really want, seems to be a uniquely UK thing.

MonarchJT

Banned
Gotta be seriously desperate to resort to rumormongering for a "victory" in the race to second place that isn't anything more than "Console manufacturer X managed to put more consoles on the market than console manufacturer Y in a specific month in a specific market, because everything is put in the market is sold."

Writing for a brand fanboy website must be hard... 🤔
we exactly know your feelings of anger at seeing the Xbox overtake the PlayStation (whatever the motivation). it will be fine for Sony as well, calm down now.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Switch continues to amaze. It's just baffling. About that second place: it doesn't mean much until we see a steady flow of consoles available at retailers for the big masses to buy. Would be nice for Xbox to make a great comeback in the UK after the Xbox One fell short, though.

Gotta be seriously desperate to resort to rumormongering for a "victory" in the race to second place that isn't anything more than "Console manufacturer X managed to put more consoles on the market than console manufacturer Y in a specific month in a specific market, because everything is put in the market is sold."

Isn't this the case worldwide though? Sony have manufactured more consoles than Microsoft up until now which makes sales comparisons quite meaningless. Obviously PS5 would sell more regardless but its worth noting that both companies can't meet demand currently.

nikolino840

So is that the reason that for now ps5 sell more...Microsoft can't build more machines then Sony

Tschumi

Seems clear enough this is a measure of supply over appeal, in a vacuum i think the ps5 would... Well it would snap freeze and float away but you know what i mean

Godot25

Banned
It funny how fanboys of Sony and Microsoft are fighting.
And meanwhile Nintendo is destroying both of them

sad gordon ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It funny how fanboys of Sony and Microsoft are fighting.
And meanwhile Nintendo is destroying both of them

sad gordon ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen

But are they? Or are they just competing in a different space? Boggles my mind that both ms and sony have left the portable space alone.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
we exactly know your feelings of anger at seeing the Xbox overtake the PlayStation (whatever the motivation). it will be fine for Sony as well, calm down now.

Oh boy. Console warriors really are clueless. 😂

Since you need help, I'll give you a little hint below about my current favorite game (and likely to stay my favorite for several years). I know it's hard to understand for some, but not everyone in this world is biased toward an underpowered piece of plastic and silicon or the other.

ZkoBo90.jpg

Last edited:

Soodanim

How is Nintendo smashing it so much?
I think it’s because they keep costs down, and they embrace the casual market. There must be so many people at home playing Animal Crossing that would have never got a console before because they’re not interested in RT 60fps AAA gaming - but they are interested in colourful, relaxing games that are easy to pick up. That probably applies to kids, too. Games are getting more realistic, and my friend got a Switch for the kids because it made sense to get a portable, kid friendly console over a PS4 that will take over the TV.

kyussman

Did anyone over here in the UK even get a chance to buy a PS5 in April....I certainly didn't,lol.
Seriously though,I think Xbox will do well again over here this gen....I think their investments will gain them a lot of sales....I've been PlayStation only for the last two gens and I'll be picking up an XSX when the games start dropping.

Well no surprise. the console with the most available stock will sell the best. This is going to flip flop for months between Sony and MS, until both consoles are freely available these sales figures don’t mean much.

Last edited:
Allocations

I predict Series consoles to take a slight nosedive as well when they launch in China

Thanks. Didn't know that.
Generally speaking, after a Console launch in November, June next year is the time Microsoft is able to ship a little more stuff.

That was the last time, when the made the Kinect less Xbox One.
After that, October and November is the next bigger increase when they stockpile.

For Playstation the next bigger shipments should be anticipated in August / September. If they're able to increase the already bigger production

cormack12

Gold Member

Since you need help, I'll give you a little hint below about my current favorite game (and likely to stay my favorite for several years). I know it's hard to understand for some, but not everyone in this world is biased toward an underpowered piece of plastic and silicon or the other.

ZkoBo90.jpg

Oh man, you like Battlefield too?

I think it’s because they keep costs down, and they embrace the casual market. There must be so many people at home playing Animal Crossing that would have never got a console before because they’re not interested in RT 60fps AAA gaming - but they are interested in colourful, relaxing games that are easy to pick up. That probably applies to kids, too. Games are getting more realistic, and my friend got a Switch for the kids because it made sense to get a portable, kid friendly console over a PS4 that will take over the TV.

I can't say anything like as we have 3 switches in the family. I more think of how it's still going, I don't think they've had a major first party release for quite some time. I don't even consider Smash mainstream here in the UK. Mario Kart is always solid

zedinen

PS5 and NSW are neck and neck in UK'21

April was a weak month. Only 90,000 games consoles were sold in UK

PS5 sold almost more units in Japan than NSW+XBS+PS4+PS5+XBO combined in UK

Sony temporarily has slowed down shipments of PS5 to Europe

Sony is capable of producing 1 million units per month. PS5 is diverting supplies to other regions

skit_data

How is Nintendo smashing it so much?
They are in the mid of their generation with a good game library and probably a more effective manufacturing line. I guess also not having to compete with Sony and Xbox when it comes to almost the same hardware components helps since they won’t have to overbid anyone when trying to produce more units. Also, people who own other hardware might buy Switch as an extra device. PC players, Xbox players and Sony players. Their potential customer base is wider than the other console manufacturers.

Still, it’s pretty damn impressive.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Dual Sense can't be supply constrained still got outsold by the superior controller. Overall looks like good times for everyone.
Don’t understand what’s funny about this. The Dual Sense isn’t simply constrained, and never has been this year (where as the dual shock 4 is like gold dust, guess they’ve ceased or wound down manufacturing). Series pad the go to for PC players.

XSeries overtook PS5 in UK? LOL it didn't.

Isn't this the case worldwide though? Sony have manufactured more consoles than Microsoft up until now which makes sales comparisons quite meaningless. Obviously PS5 would sell more regardless but its worth noting that both companies can't meet demand currently.

Sony still manufacturing more consoles. They've allocated units somewhere else.

MonarchJT

Banned

ZkoBo90.jpg
Well then let's put it this way, your post, among other things the second of the entire thread, was at least rambling as you have no data to judge the goodness (or not?) of what is reported. But that hasn't stopped you from running as fast as you can to hit the post button
Do you know if there were more PS5s in stock than the x / s series? Do you know if the consoles went completely sold out and if there were still some they would have passed the switch too?Do you know if series x / s consoles were quantitatively much superior to the PS5? Commenting in such a negative way, among other things, giving an imprint of fanboyism to those who reported the news without having any data seems at least risky. Certain of your impartiality I'm sure that if i try I'll find yours angry post like that even where we talk about the ps5 sales records..or maybe maybe not

Last edited:
Ps5 sells more: YAY!!!1
Xbox sells more: it's the supply for sure....

Pretty funny that when the xbox outsells the ps5 it's "amidst it's lagging supply" but when the xbox is outsold by ps5 it's just due to demand - like supply had nothing to do with it.

Always an excuse if Xbox comes in second "oh but stock, oh blah blah, oh all they're selling is series s.
Funny the excuses for low Xbox stock are never used when Sony comes second to the switch.

But it wasn't excuse before when PS4 were outselling Xbone and when both became widely available across UK. Same it will be with PS5. Same will happen surely.

Switch continues to amaze. It's just baffling. About that second place: it doesn't mean much until we see a steady flow of consoles available at retailers for the big masses to buy. Would be nice for Xbox to make a great comeback in the UK after the Xbox One fell short, though.

Actually, Xbone was competitive last gen in UK.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You know what is even more funnier? XSeries wasn't the number one, but 2nd. Touting how XSeries outsold PS5, even if it ends 2nd. Now you know how paid Xbox sites are damn desperate

Take your victories when you can, I guess. But, unless there's a single unsold PS5 sitting on a shelf somewhere in the country, this is a non-story.

The article literally says Ps5 was having supply issues and the Xbox still came in second place. This isn’t the victory you think it is.

Oh look. It’s the usual suspects, wafting in to the thread like an eggy fart.

Glad to see you all guys.

tenor.gif

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don't get this thought.

Like are there a bunch of unattractive women sitting around hoping someone will pick them up until they find their true mate?

This whole buying what you don't really want, seems to be a uniquely UK thing.
It’s like going out on the pull and at the end of the night your options have ran dry apart from the whale in the corner so you do what’s gotta be done.

Stuart360

Man cringe replies as usual.
At least wait for PS5 and Series consoles to of been widely available on store shelves for a year before being this cringy over who sold the most.
PS5 will win this gen 100%, there is no need for the insesent downplaying whenever there is any little bit of positivity around something Xbox.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Well then let's put it this way, your post, among other things the second of the entire thread, was at least rambling as you have no data to judge the goodness (or not?) of what is reported. But that hasn't stopped you from running as fast as you can to hit the post button
Do you know if there were more PS5s in stock than the x / s series? Do you know if the consoles went completely sold out and if there were still some they would have passed the switch too?Do you know if series x / s consoles were quantitatively much superior to the PS5? Commenting in such a negative way, among other things, giving an imprint of fanboyism to those who reported the news without having any data seems at least risky.
It's a known quantity that consoles of both brands get sold minutes or seconds after they get put on sale in the UK like everywhere in the world. This means that sale numbers have literally nothing to do with what people want to buy, as much as how many consoles are delivered to each specific market, which obviously fluctuates, making this whole topic meaningless. The fact that the outlet in question decided to headline the meaningless race to second place in a supply-constrained market ignoring the actual best-selling console makes it even more ludicrous and fanboy bait.

If you think that "we don't have any data" to know that this is an issue related to supply and not to purchasing intent, you must have lived under a rock since November.

The funniest part is that the article the outlet you defend took their info from actually reported it correctly, but Windows Central had to cater to the fanboy wars trying to invent a non-existent winner and loser in a race won by someone else entirely instead. 😂

I'm sure I can find yours angry post like that even in the oost where we talk about the ps5 sales records..or maybe maybe not

Where's a facepalm emoji when you need it. 🤔

Here. Have fun.

As I said, not everyone in this world is biased in favor of this or that brand. Certain fanboy bait by parts of the media simply is ludicrous and deserves to be called out.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I can't say anything like as we have 3 switches in the family. I more think of how it's still going, I don't think they've had a major first party release for quite some time. I don't even consider Smash mainstream here in the UK. Mario Kart is always solid
Oh yeah, I hadn’t thought about that. Maybe there’s something to Nintendo’s “Our games are always brand new” pricing policy for assigning value to games. Who needs new releases when you’re still selling what’s already out?

Well this thread sure was a mess. I think I am getting used to the amount of lengths people go to defend the honor, of their favorite console!
imagine how pathetic people's lives must be to go on the internet and defend multi billion dollar corporations.

i want to play games so i'll buy whatever platform has the games. i'm not gonna loyally defend a company that only wants to milk people dry. they don't care about you. they are not your friends.

OK people... I you all getting royalties from consoles sales or something?
Cos otherwise who gives a fuck?
lol right, you'd think this place was full of MSFT + SONY share holders the way people carry on.

Last edited:

Neff

As someone who (gratuitous flex warning) recently managed to bag another PS5 this week by chasing the drop forecasts, I can tell you that there were very few available throughout April in the UK. Most of what retailers received that month was stockpiled for this month's big fat drop. So that's why.

Still can't get a Series X.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sad Oh, talkin about "usual supects" And what are you doing here too? Selling pastries? It is funny when Xbox site claiming victory even if it is in 2nd place. Nobody can be that desperate except Xbox.
I’ve come in to this thread to read the data and level headed comments.

You’ve come in to a positive Xbox thread just to shit post, as per.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

but isn't there a thousand threads about how well PS5 is selling?

I’ve come in to this thread to read the data and level headed comments.

You’ve come in to a positive Xbox thread just to shit post, as per.

Positive news about Xbox? Making the news how Xbox is 2nd best selling console even if it is in front of the PS5 for April. It is just important for Xbox to be in front of PS5. LOL It is more like act of desperation. Xbox site can't be that dumb. But they are.
Next month from Xbox site : "XSeries was the 3rd bestselling console, outsold the PS5!" 👀

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Didn't realise people were so desperate for some good news, that willing to ignore any sort of context.

Have fun kids.

there was not a single stock drop in the uk in april. i used stock trackers the whole month. nothing. apparently there was a delay becuase of the suez canal thing. PS5 should rebound in may. im hopeful of finally getting one this month.

Top Bottom