• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S outsold PlayStation 5 in Europe for the first time last month (VCG) (Due to supply constrain, this is available stock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfey

Banned
Reminder: Both consoles are on heavy supply constrain. This is just available stock. Nothing more. Both consoles are facing production issues.

The Xbox Series consoles’ monthly sales in Europe were higher than those of the PlayStation 5 for the first time in February.

That’s according to the latest GSD market report (as published by GamesIndustry.biz), which shows that more Xbox Series consoles were sold in Europe than PS5 consoles.

The data covers 10 countries in mainland Europe, but doesn’t include the UK or Germany. However, VGC understands that the Xbox Series X/S also outsold the PS5 in the UK in February.

As has been the case since both current-gen systems launched in November 2020, stock has practically been selling as fast as it has been arriving.

As such, nearly a year and a half after launch it’s still difficult to tell which console is actually the most popular – rather, these results likely indicate which system had more stock on sale in February.

Indeed, GamesIndustry’s report points out that since both the Xbox Series X and PS5 continue to struggle with stock levels, the Xbox Series S is easier to get hold of, and is likely what contributed to Xbox outselling PlayStation in February.

While Xbox and PlayStation compete for second place, the Nintendo Switch continued to “comfortably” be the best-selling console in Europe last month.

Despite this, overall hardware sales were down 32% compared to January 2022, and down 44% compared to February 2021.

Elsewhere last month, Elden Ring was easily the best-selling game, with total sales making it the biggest new IP since The Division in 2016. It was the top-selling game in every country in Europe except for Germany, where Pokémon Legends: Arceus held onto the top spot.

mansoor1980

OOPS I DID IT AGAIN
I5WhS93.jpg

Vindicator

Got a PS5 at launch day, but now trying to hunt down a XSX, have trackers etc. but always miss the restocks, not that urgent though, it will happen at some point...

skit_data

I’m starting to suspect a lot of PS5 chips are being used to upgrade their streaming for whatever Spartacus will be, a similar situation to how a lot of Series X chips were used for Xcloud last year.

kingfey

Banned
Its funny that when Xbox series outsells the PS5 its stated in thread title + OP that its because of supply constraints but when PS5 outsells Xbox we dont see these things in the thread title, OP and source.
Europe is PS territory. While its great to see Xbox sell alot of consoles there, its still doesnt change the fact, that Xbox presence in Europe is weak.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Europe is PS territory. While its great to see Xbox sell alot of consoles there, its still doesnt change the fact, that Xbox presence in Europe is weak.

I wonder how many gamepass subs there are in Europe. It Will be interesting to see how it does over there.

Last edited:

reksveks

Proper Source

Yeah, trying to figure the best way to look at this. Xbox Series sales relatively to Xbox One?

Got some FR numbers for the consoles now. Xbox dies in Y3 of that gen goes from 3:1 to 3.5:1 and generally keeps going up til it hits 4:1 in 2018.

Last edited:

Three

I may be wrong, but I think Xbox is also facing massive supply constraints
Not the Series S

From the article:

"PS5 and Xbox Series X continues to struggle with stock levels. As a result, for the first time, more Xbox Series consoles were sold across Europe than PS5s. This is primarily due to the availability of the Xbox Series S model."

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Proper Source

Yeah, trying to figure the best way to look at this. Xbox Series sales relatively to Xbox One?

Got some FR numbers for the consoles now.

Microsoft sold more than two million of its XBox One gaming console in Europe from 2015 to 2017. In 2018, sales of the XBox One started to drop below the two million line. In 2020, only around 670 thousand units of the Xbox One were sold in Europe.

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 76,937 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,268,643 - PS4

Total Lead: 3,064,031 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 48,547,003

DS Total Sales: 51,611,034

The ps4 was putting that much numbers in europe. That is almost the total numbers of Xbox one.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Its funny that when Xbox series outsells the PS5 its stated in thread title + OP that its because of supply constraints but when PS5 outsells Xbox we dont see these things in the thread title, OP and source.
You need to be more johnny on the spot and make these threads yourself then. It's not like op is a PS fanboy lol.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I wonder how many gamepass subs there are in Europe. It Will be interesting to see how it does over there.
That number would increase, due to PC. So its hard to see the gamepass console numbers. But my guess, is that this year, gamepass would have tons of subscribers because of that.

Topher

Gold Member
"Indeed, GamesIndustry’s report points out that since both the Xbox Series X and PS5 continue to struggle with stock levels, the Xbox Series S is easier to get hold of, and is likely what contributed to Xbox outselling PlayStation in February."

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

anthony2690

Banned
I’m starting to suspect a lot of PS5 chips are being used to upgrade their streaming for whatever Spartacus will be, a similar situation to how a lot of Series X chips were used for Xcloud last year.
This is a good point, last year series X was barely getting restocked where as ps5 stock was getting non stop restocks.

That being said, I've seen series X getting a lot of supply drops this year.

reksveks

Microsoft sold more than two million of its XBox One gaming console in Europe from 2015 to 2017. In 2018, sales of the XBox One started to drop below the two million line. In 2020, only around 670 thousand units of the Xbox One were sold in Europe.

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 76,937 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,268,643 - PS4

Total Lead: 3,064,031 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 48,547,003

DS Total Sales: 51,611,034

The ps4 was putting that much numbers in europe. That is almost the total numbers of Xbox one.
Cheers, trying to break it down to the market level if possible but think DE is going to cause issues.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Turns out the Series S was a pretty smart move afterall.

This is a good point, last year series X was barely getting restocked where as ps5 stock was getting non stop restocks.

That being said, I've seen series X getting a lot of supply drops this year.

Won't be surprised, last year Xcloud was moved to Series X hardware.

Last edited:

Rivet

I love the disclaimer in the OP correctly reminding us the whole thread is meaningless since it only tells us which one had more stock available recently. Ok then...

NickFire

Has Xbox actually been supply constrained anytime recently? I am referring to Series S and X, not just X in my question.

Kokoloko85

Because if you dont state the obvious, some people actually think xbox would outsell ps like you see on twitter, or that its even close.
Whereas you dont need it for when PS outsells Xbox because 9/10 it will outsell xbox.

PS has sold more than xbox for over 10 years, probably since 2009 apart from some occasions.

I dont know why people think of it as a competition, Xbox will never sell more than PS. Xbox will be luckily to ever sell more than 65-70 million units again, which is a low number playstation will never see. There not in the same league

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Has Xbox actually been supply constrained anytime recently? I am referring to Series S and X, not just X in my question.

It's right there in the OP. Series X is supply constrained, Series S is somewhat more easily available.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

fZV4aZk.jpg

LOL we should ignore him but I am here for the bad photoshop of Phil
More pleaseeee

Lol, seriously your triggered by that picture.

I think its time you take a break if your negatively impacted from a picture of Phil holding a seriesS.

Sosokrates

Because if you dont state the obvious, some people actually think xbox would outsell ps like you see on twitter, or that its even close.
Whereas you dont need it for when PS outsells Xbox because 9/10 it will outsell xbox.

PS has sold more than xbox for over 10 years, probably since 2009 apart from some occasions.

I dont know why people think of it as a competition, Xbox will never sell more than PS. Xbox will be luckily to ever sell more than 65-70 million units again, which is a low number playstation will never see. There not in the same league

4kutKf5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom