• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X/S is MS's fastest selling console - outpacing even the 360

MOTM

Banned
Series X/S is selling faster than any previous MS consoles despite shortages. It also believed that they are producing a lot less consoles than Sony so I'm surprised it's off to such a good start. I only see the momentum picking up with heavy hitters such as Halo and FH5 coming this fall; and of course with Gamepass going H.A.M starting this month.

longdi

Banned
As i said before, the feelings and anticipation for Series consoles are off the charts.

But beating 360, that is surprisingly impressive.

Gamepass is a beast.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
two consoles against one so it's not that difficult

the opposite would have been worrying

• The Xbox 360 was extremely limited during its launch period.
  • The Xbox One only launched in certain countries and was not available in other markets until 2014.
  • Today the video game market is nothing like it was in 2005 and has grown a lot in the last few years.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I'm very happy for them, but weren't they the ones saying that they didn't care about console sales anymore ? Or did the strategy and PR narrative suddenly switch because it's doing well ?

wVMHzcv.gif
Sales matter again.
They never said "sales doesn't matter", they said that competition sales doesn't. If Xbox sells 100 million and PlayStation sells 200 millions, guess who sold well? Answer: both

Godot25

Banned
I'm very happy for them, but weren't they the ones saying that they didn't care about console sales anymore ? Or did the strategy and PR narrative suddenly switch because it's doing well ?

wVMHzcv.gif
Did you heard numbers of consoles sold? Because I didn't...

longdi

Banned
X360/ps3 generation started slow, you can see even One outsold x360 by 700k at this point in time

One to Series > 360 to One, in spite of supply issues today.

Considering the bad rep that One had to be burdened for years after the greatness of 360.

We can only expect more Series + Gamepass greatness to come :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
Well, whatever it is Microsoft Edge blocks it.

GkEzTBw.png

Platform sales are not as important as software sales are (seeing selling a console is not the core of the profit and at some point, with streaming it won't even be a requirement), but definitely part of the equation. Optimal information for me being install base and attach rate.

MS Games Pass further confuses the attach rate stats though so I'll guess it will be lower than Sony's conventional method (but money is still being spent and paid to third parties), hence direct outdated/partial statistic blows are not in their interest.

I'm happy for their success, regardless.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Basically this is the assurance for those on the fence.

Do i get a Series? Should i do the 3 years Gamepass hack?

Answer has to be yes now. Gamers love buying both of them, you can expect great games support through the generation, Phil has gotten the formula right, the ship is sailing on course to be MS best console generation yet, Satya is 100% on board with the warchest :messenger_face_screaming:

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

• The Xbox One only launched in certain countries and was not available in other markets until 2014.
  • Today the video game market is nothing like it was in 2005 and has grown a lot in the last few years.

It depends though. Lots of people have been posting pictures of XSS in stock (and I have to admit I picked up two quite easily). But if you swapped 50% of the XSS on shelves and used their silicon for more XSX then you'd have to assume the XSX would also be sold out which would inflate the numbers? Not sure I follow the logic here?

MOTM

Banned

So are you saying the PS5 being the fastest selling console for Sony is also meaningless?

They never said "sales doesn't matter", they said that competition sales doesn't. If Xbox sells 100 million and PlayStation sells 200 millions, guess who sold well? Answer: both
The sales of the competition absolutely do matter if they make yours look bad in comparison. That being said, I don't think MS ever said anything about the competition at all back when they stopped publishing those numbers in 2015. IIRC Their official explanation was that sales were no longer their "primary metric of success" and thus not worth showing off.

Not that anyone believed them, of course. They had absolutely no problem publishing sales numbers when Xbox 360 was doing as well or better than PS3, and they were giving constant sales updates on Xbox One (which they predicted would sell up to a billion units) in the first two years after launch. They only stopped when it became clear that Sony was gonna be leaving them in the dust that gen.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

There was a 20gb 360 and also the core console.
So are you saying the PS5 being the fastest selling console for Sony is also meaningless?
Yes, yes they are

Schmick

The sales of the competition absolutely do matter if they make yours look bad in comparison. That being said, I don't think MS ever said anything about the competition at all back when they stopped publishing those numbers in 2015. IIRC Their official explanation was that sales were no longer their "primary metric of success" and thus not worth showing off.

Not that anyone believed them, of course. They had absolutely no problem publishing sales numbers when Xbox 360 was doing as well or better than PS3, and they were giving constant sales updates on Xbox One (which they predicted would sell up to a billion units) in the first two years after launch. They only stopped when it became clear that Sony was gonna be leaving them in the dust that gen.
Whats the percentage of Xbox Users (or PS Users) that actually give a rats ass about sales numbers? I suspect its very low, probably in the single digits.

Whats the percentage of Xbox Users (or PS Users) that actually give a rats ass about sales numbers? I suspect its very low, probably in the single digits.

Honestly I think that matters more to investors more than anything. Sony and Microsoft don't give us sales figures to satisfy the curiosity of console owners. It's more for their investors than anyone else.

kingfey

Banned
I just need both consoles. Sales can f off. They are hard to get here.

Mowcno

Sell-in first 3 quarters:
PS5 - TBC (7.8m in first 2 quarters, presumably still ahead of ps4.)
PS4 - 10.2m
Wii - 9.27m
Switch - 7.63m
3DS - 6.68m
Xbox Series - 6.5m
Xbox One - 5.7m
PS3 - >5m (first 2 quarters only, 3rd quarter sony switched to reporting consumer sales in fiscal reports, 0.7m sell-through in missing quarter)
Xbox 360 - 5m
WiiU - 3.61m
Vita - ? <4m

Weird that the title is "Even the 360" considering the Xbox One beat that. The 360 was one of the slowest starting recent consoles. I guess it makes the news sound more positive by associating it with the overall much more successful 360 than the XBO.

What's the percentage of Xbox or PS users who care about any numbers, be it teraflops, GPU clocks or SSD speeds? I suspect its very low, probably in the single digits.

Doesn't stop MS and Sony from either dragging them out whenever it makes them look good or hiding/deemphasizing them when it makes them look bad.

Did you heard numbers of consoles sold? Because I didn't...

Console sales truly don't matter to Microsoft. That's a fact.

They are releasing all their games on PC day 1.

What do you think that's gonna do to console sales?

Isn't rocket science to figure it out.

Basically this is the assurance for those on the fence.

Do i get a Series? Should i do the 3 years Gamepass hack?

Answer has to be yes now. Gamers love buying both of them, you can expect great games support through the generation, Phil has gotten the formula right, the ship is sailing on course to be MS best console generation yet, Satya is 100% on board with the warchest :messenger_face_screaming:

You are kidding yourself or projecting USA situation if you think Series S is flying off the shelves. Series S has been readilly available since release and gets occassional sales below MSRP or value bundles just to get rid of the stock.

Series X is doing better but it's usually available for next day delivery or few days wait.

Meanwhile PS5 shipments are gone in minutes.

scroll down for 360 shipments for comparison. 360 actually started off very slowly.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Console sales truly don't matter to Microsoft. That's a fact.

They are releasing all their games on PC day 1.

What do you think that's gonna do to console sales?

Isn't rocket science to figure it out.
I agree. It's just funny some GAFers think Microsoft flip-floped when they didn't released actual numbers of consoles sold. They just said, that Series X/S are selling faster then One and 360

MCplayer

Sell-in first 3 quarters:
PS5 - TBC (7.8m in first 2 quarters, presumably still ahead of ps4.)
PS4 - 10.2m
Wii - 9.27m
Switch - 7.63m
3DS - 6.68m
Xbox Series - 6.5m
Xbox One - 5.7m
PS3 - >5m (first 2 quarters only, 3rd quarter sony switched to reporting consumer sales in fiscal reports, 0.7m sell-through in missing quarter)
Xbox 360 - 5m
WiiU - 3.61m
Vita - ? <4m

Weird that the title is "Even the 360" considering the Xbox One beat that. The 360 was one of the slowest starting recent consoles. I guess it makes the news sound more positive by associating it with the overall much more successful 360 than the XBO.
PS5 sold 10 Million, (in total I guess) playstation just posted on instagram

Last edited:

Mowcno

PS5 sold 10 Million, (in total I guess) playstation just posted on instagram
The 10 million figure is sell-through as of July 18. Sell-in is always higher. (Though this is also a later date)

We should get a sell-in figure for June 30th shortly, which might or might not be higher than 10m. We'll soon find out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
it remains a 360 with the same hardware (cpu, cpu, ram ..) all the contrary of the S and the X which are different.

What? Lmao. So two different skus doesnt matter because they are the same spec....but it's still 2 skus in the same family of consoles. That doesn't make any sense. What a strange way to bend your narrative.

Mr Moose

Oh it's sold-in, not sold-through to consumers. Still, they are ahead of 360/One so that's good (I am assuming those two were also sold-in numbers).

Allandor

Well, a healthy MS, Sony, Nintendo market is good for everyone. So they will at least try to make their systems better to attract more people.

But I guess we will never know how sales would be without the pandemic which increased demand for almost all tech-stuff.

NickFire

Is it cheating to compare it to the 360 at this point in the 360 lifetime, considering the RRoD would have been in full stride I think?

Top Bottom