• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X / S Demand to Exceed Supply for Months, Pre-Order Rethink Needed Says Phil Spencer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During an interview on the most recent episode of the Dropped Frames podcast, Xbox boss Phil Spencer laid out the Xbox Series X/S stock situation for the next few months.

All of our day-one units are at retailers, or very close to that. We've built all of our day one allocations. We know what our supply will look like, basically for the rest of the year. We're going to have more demand that supply, and I'll apologize in advance for that. […] And I think we're going to live in that world for a few months -- a lot more demand that we have supply. On the supply-chain side, it's "What can we do to get more inventory?"

Spencer realizes the Xbox Series X/S pre-order situation was frustrating for some, even if it was slightly more organized than the PS5 pre-order free-for-all. Overall, Spencer believes something has to change…

You have these pre-orders, and you want it to be a positive event, and you want it to be a positive event for the community, and obviously, it's hard. We sell out in a couple hours, and we think, "Well, what good was that?" We end up with more frustrated people. I think, as an industry, we're going to have to rethink that in some ways, because of the bots and everything else. It's not a great situation. We've been doing debriefs with all of our retailers, asking "Hey, are there things we can do to make this better?"
The amount of angst I got from people…who are really wanting to get into Xbox, and this was their opportunity. And we're going to build, from day one, every week there's more and more consoles coming in. But I don't like to have so many people disappointed, so that's something we've got to think about.

Just spend some billions on a new manufacturing plant and automate the entire process to keep labor costs low.

On a side note I better get an expensive ass security system. To protect my series x from desperate thieves. Anyone want to be my bodyguard?

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Did MS ever project how many units they plan to sell this holiday, or through next March? Without a proper projection, then the supply vs. demand talk is kinda pointless. It might not be a preorder issue, so much as a supply issue, where they can't make enough units. Also, XSS demand in Europe doesn't seem to be particularly strong, so they should be reallocating units to the US, if demand is stronger there.

Without some practical numbers, it's all kinda meaningless humble-bragging. Selling out all supply, when you might only be shipping 3M total units isn't really a preorder issue. That's just limited supply, so you should be rethinking your supply chain.

They aren't supplying anywhere near as many consoles to retailers as Sony either, I know my local gamestop has more than 3 times as many PS5's pre ordered as Xbox series consoles, neither one has made a ton available though compared to last gen and before anyone says anything it's a very high volume store near Los Angeles.

Reallink

I'm curious what percentage of the demand is being driven by scalpers. It's certainly significant in both camps. The wide variety of consumer electronic shortages and inflated prices brought on by Covid have no doubt been encouraging new hustlers who are sitting at home 24/7 with plenty of time to camp websites and peddle shit on Ebay for profit.

onQ123

Of course it did because Microsoft didn't expect to sell many consoles but Covid happened & demand for just about everything is above average.

Kagey K

Banned
That means more Switch for everybody.
That’s exactly what it means, and likely means this is the last peak year for switch.

It’s their last chance to sell, before these comparable priced gaming machines become readily available.

They are going to need a new machine soon to continue competing.

really? My local GameStop has it the other way around. More than 3 times as many Xbox series consoles pre ordered as PS5. What is true now?

PS5 sold out globally basically in seconds/minutes in most if all stores

Xbox series x took weeks to sell out launch units globally, and S even longer and maybe is still available.

PS5 estimates are now on 2021, xbox is still available for november-december timeslot

So, I would say that overall PS5 sold much faster and more units, if retailers allowed people to order

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I got mine pre-ordered and due for delivery on the 10th :)

My PS5 will be delivered 19th which is the release date here.

Kagey K

Banned

Xbox series x took weeks to sell out launch units globally, and S even longer and maybe is still available.

PS5 estimates are now on 2021, xbox is still available for november-december timeslot

So, I would say that overall PS5 sold much faster and more units, if retailers allowed people to order
So Much bullshit here.

You want to cry about Finland Having stock for Xbox and ignore Brazil holding PS5 stock forever.

“One sold out in hours”

They are both in high demand and going to sell almost all the units they produce before XMAS (give or take oddities here or there)

This tired ass argument makes you look like a joke.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm struggling. First gen ever not being able to get a pre-order. I'm a day 1 kinda guy.
It’s the first gen I’ve ever preordered, usually I’d just getin line, walk in and pick it up. This time is different, and it’s going to suck for people that still think like I used to.

My local Media Markt still had 3 XSX pre-orders left. I had to pay a 100 bucks but they said I'll get one on launch day, guaranteed.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
And here I was hoping all the negativity would keep the demand a little lower.
Was hoping to "walk in" a Series S just as I did the Xbox One.

How come no conspiracy nuts have posted "Its just a tactic to drive up demand and preorders by telling people the demand is high" so I could calm myself.
Ive never preordered a console before and dont intend to so generation.

Come on Series S haters, tell more people its a waste of a console so no one buys it. WORK FUCKERS!

By the sounds of it... I'll probably be able to pick one up in 2021 and hopefully near Halo Infinite launch time. Unless MS decides on another delay, I'd gladly wait.

Scalping on ps5 and xbox series would be through the roof, I can bet sony won't be able to meet demand even in 2021 and by that time the slim version would be near

Kagey K

Banned
Scalping on ps5 and xbox series would be through the roof, I can bet sony won't be able to meet demand even in 2021 and by that time the slim version would be near
The 360 took until March of the next year before it was readily available. I’d expect the same timeframe of these consoles.

Scalping dies right around xmas, so anyone looking for a console after just needs to be savvy.

Last edited:

That's complete bullshit.
It was sold out within hours.

It was sold out faster than Ps5

bender

What time is it?
Component shortages are heavy across the tech industry. Supply is going to be wonky at least until Q2 '21.

Jokerevo

Banned
That's complete bullshit.
It was sold out within hours.

It was sold out faster than Ps5

Lmao OK. Maybe in the US but I was virtual queueing for ps5. One minute after the queue opened my position in the queue was 64345. Eleven minutes later the queue was closed because the stock was out.

When XsX preorders went up I queued again and had an allocation which I refused because I have a PC already. I did the test to prove a point that even with scalpers active, everyone is going for the ps5.

It was much easier to obtain an XsX, joined another preorder launch and again secured an allocation. Ps5 is the genuine preorder cluster fuck.

Not true. Xbox Series X sold out in minutes too around the world. Even in Germany!
Even the second waves of stocks are sold out in minutes.

And more units sold? How do you know how many units have been sold? Being sold out doesn’t mean much.
It could also mean that Microsoft is able to manufacture more units, because of the simplistic and smaller design. Just compare the size of the boxed. You can store many more units of Xbox consoles compared to PS5 on a container ship.

Aidah

If someone is desperate for one, they can order from abroad. Still totally available for preorder in some regions. Not sure about warranty though.

Side note for LG C9 owners. I tested Series X on it at 4k/120 with VRR on and it just gives a black screen then an error. Seems the issue is with VRR at 4k/120 in general for the C9/CX, and not specific to gsync or the Nvidia 30 Series. CX received an OTA fix, but C9 still hasn't.

Last edited:
I'm curious what percentage of the demand is being driven by scalpers. It's certainly significant in both camps. The wide variety of consumer electronic shortages and inflated prices brought on by Covid have no doubt been encouraging new hustlers who are sitting at home 24/7 with plenty of time to camp websites and peddle shit on Ebay for profit.

Scalpers havnt been making that much in the UK anyway. I saw a bundle deal that was sold from game, on ebay..... And it only sold for £30 more.

PS5's are generally selling for around £100 more max. Facebook marketplace makes me laugh. You can see the scalpers who put the console on as soon as they bought it, and they were trying for something like £750. They havnt been successful so you can see that they've discounted it over time to something like £520.

I'm deffo not a rich person but that seems like a lot of effort for £100 profit max.

Last edited:
The 360 took until March of the next year before it was readily available. I’d expect the same timeframe of these consoles.

Scalping dies right around xmas, so anyone looking for a console after just needs to be savvy.
I actually got 1 at launch which did a rrod after a few months anyway 🤣

Scalpers havnt been making that much in the UK anyway. I saw a bundle deal that was sold from game, on ebay..... And it only sold for £30 more.

PS5's are generally selling for around £100 more max. Facebook marketplace makes me laugh. You can see the scalpers who put the console on as soon as they bought it, and they were trying for something like £750. They havnt been successful so you can see that they've discounted it over time to something like £520.

I'm deffo not a rich person but that seems like a lot of effort for £100 profit max.
Judging by the hype and I think supple of ps5 will be very limited as soon as its launched ull see the scalping prices go through the roof for ps5

Ar¢tos

Not true. Xbox Series X sold out in minutes too around the world. Even in Germany!
Even the second waves of stocks are sold out in minutes.
Still available in Portugal...

Last edited:
It was like this for the Xbone as well, but it did not last as long as it did for the PS4 and they didn't sell out nearly as fast as the PS4 s did.

How many times you going to post same copy/paste bs? I know you live for a moment like these and get a hard on posting this..you too desperate ma dude.

Series X sold tha fuck out!! Deal with it ! how much does that triggeres you reading that Tho??!! Who gives a f what goes down in Slovakia or some shit.

Once again, MS article, about pre-orders, that selling out.. and it took just a few posts before insecure desperate warriors made a PS5 thread..."ohh bu..bu ma PS5 sold out in minutes though!!"

Do some of ya read what you post?! Embarrassin.

mckmas8808

Banned
This entire pre-order shit for PS5, Xbox series X/S, Nvidia cards has been a clusterfuck. The holy trinity of hardware ushering in the next gen and only a small percentage of people got a bite at the apple.

That's because not enough hardware could be made to meet supply. This is actually a good thing for the industry.

Series X sold tha fuck out!! Deal with it ! how much does that triggeres you reading that Tho??!! Who gives a f what goes down in Slovakia or some shit.
Selling out if MS made a couple of units for the markets where they are usually strong does not mean much.

Like I pointed in the thread the xbone also sold out early on, but people in retail were able to tell us that they neither sold as many units nor as fast as the PS4 did... Sure it's better than not selling out at all, but as a lone number it doesn't mean as much as some think it does.

Another more striking example is the Sega Dreamcast, it beat all console selling records until the PS2... Obviously sold out on day 1, etc.
Yet, it was the end for Sega.

Always be weary of PR.

Top Bottom