• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X/S consoles continue to sell at a record pace, Microsoft has claimed

oldergamer

The xss being on the shelf is good for them.
300$ console, is very cheap. If 1 person buys it, they can spread it mouth to mouth. Other people will flock it to buy it.

Remember that MS has less wafers compared to Sony. Playstation can make twice numbers of xbox consoles. Yet, the rate is 1.5 between the 2 consoles. The xss gives advantage for xbox, to have a foot hold with Playstation. Since it requires less wafer to make it.

Which is why, it surpassed x360 numbers. Regular xbox consoles like the ps5/ps5d would have made them sell less numbers.

Xss is the switch console, people sleep on, and underestimate it.
Its not only wafers. They both use memory differently. The ssd memory in ps5 is more expensive and likely less available then slower mem chips. There other differences like the number of components or custom components that can impact the ability to make units quickly.

kingfey

Banned
He doesnt speak for all obviosly but i would say the majority.
I mean i was PC and console gamer, until towards the end of the 360/ps3 gen, but from my experiance in PC spaces like Steam, Reddit, and other forums, the majority of PC gamers are PC only. I'm certain there are waaay more 'console gamers' that also have a PC, than 'PC Gamers' that also game on console.

In fact i dont know if you have a PC, but do this - take a whole year and buy everything on PC, dont buy anything on console, or even turn it on. When that year is up, see if you want to go back to consoles.
Thats the thing with PC gaming, its not just about better graphics if you have the hardware, or any of that, its the freedom it brings, the choice. Its hard to goback to go consoles after. I have always loved consoles but i could never go back now, they are too restrictive.
People who says I am a pc gamer only, are lying.
Honestly, most pc gamers have 1 of the 3 console. Unless the console doesn't exist in your country, there is no way you dont have 1 of those consoles.

Most pc gamers use normal graphic cards, and not those expensive graphic cards. Building your pc is expensive. And if you aren't careful about it, you will ruin your set up. My little brother literally forgot to put Bluetooth on his computer, and had to get Bluetooth antenna later.

Some Pc gamers are also console players. They won't just ditch out their console, when its coming to pc.

Majority of pc gamers, play online games. From mmorpg, to shooter games, to rts games. These are outdated ps3 graphic games. Yet, we keep playing them. Ff14 the most popular mmo game, can't be compared to a console game in term of graphics.

At the end of the day, if the console has interesting games, we will get them. We don't sit down on our chair all the time, to play on our pc. Sometimes, we just want to sit down, and enjoy nice console game.

Pc and consoles can co-exist. What we don't like, is when you enforce shit stuff like no modding. That is when, we quit your console.

Stuart360

People who says I am a pc gamer only, are lying.
Honestly, most pc gamers have 1 of the 3 console. Unless the console doesn't exist in your country, there is no way you dont have 1 of those consoles.

Most pc gamers use normal graphic cards, and not those expensive graphic cards. Building your pc is expensive. And if you aren't careful about it, you will ruin your set up. My little brother literally forgot to put Bluetooth on his computer, and had to get Bluetooth antenna later.

Some Pc gamers are also console players. They won't just ditch out their console, when its coming to pc.

Majority of pc gamers, play online games. From mmorpg, to shooter games, to rts games. These are outdated ps3 graphic games. Yet, we keep playing them. Ff14 the most popular mmo game, can't be compared to a console game in term of graphics.

At the end of the day, if the console has interesting games, we will get them. We don't sit down on our chair all the time, to play on our pc. Sometimes, we just want to sit down, and enjoy nice console game.

Pc and consoles can co-exist. What we don't like, is when you enforce shit stuff like no modding. That is when, we quit your console.
Nah mate, i havent owned a console since 360 and ps3. There is no need to, PC gets every game consoles get, including Xbox games and now increasingly Playstation games, plus tons of games that dont come to console at all.
If you are on PC, there is no need for a console, unless its a Nintendo console, and Nintendo games just arent for me anymore.
I'll always love consoles for the years of joy they gave me, but cant go back from PC now, just too much freedom. In fact my PC is basically my entertainment hub ,and is permanantly hooked up to my TV. Everything i do goes through it.

Dane

I dunno how many PC games are from the 90s or early 00s, but I wouldn't be surprised if many only owned the PS360 because most companies were skipping PCs at that point, hence the PC gaming is dead meme.

JLB

Banned
Did you read the article? It said in 2019, Microsoft stated that they will stop giving out the MAU numbers.

I think you are too focused on warring that you seem to miss my point.
To put it more clear: I give a shit what MS says now, in 2019 or 1987.
Again: MAU and dollar x user are the critical metrics.

JLB

Banned
Yes it would still sell like crazy. But it will shrink in size.

Xsex and xses are selling like crazy. But, imho, it will not attain 360 numbers again ever because many xbox gamers already migrated to PC.
Videogame industry nowadays is much bigger compared to 360 era.

sainraja

How convenient, a perfect excuse as to why hardware sales aren’t shown anymore.

They can have a different approach to business all they want. That still doesn’t explain the lack of real data. Which anybody with common sense can see why they don’t talk about it anymore.
I think he has a point. Microsoft tried competing with Sony/Nintendo the traditional way — which I wouldn't say was a failure but it wasn't the same type of success that both Sony and Nintendo have experienced in the console space. They kinda got there with the X360 but after XONE, they had to try something different, something they are more familiar with — selling subscriptions. When you switch to a model like that, you don't lose sight of hardware sales (as shown by this thread since Phil's talking about it) but it's not your main focus anymore, it's probably more of a bonus if you outsell or do better than you expected. If they sell better than their competitor (Sony) or do better than they expected, they won't be shy about it I am sure.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think he has a point. Microsoft tried competing with Sony/Nintendo the traditional way — which I wouldn't say was a failure but it wasn't the same type of success that both Sony and Nintendo have experienced in the console space. They kinda got there with the X360 but after XONE, they had to try something different, something they are more familiar with — selling subscriptions. When you switch to a model like that, you don't lose sight of hardware sales (as shown by this thread since Phil's talking about it) but it's not your main focus anymore, it's probably more of a bonus if you outsell or do better than you expected. If they sell better than their competitor (Sony) or do better than they expected, they won't be shy about it I am sure.
Not really, the X1 did worse because they made a bunch of bonehead moves.

If xbox in 2013 was like xbox now or xbox in the early og and 360 years they would of done better.

I wonder what the xbox one would of been if it was gamer focused. With out the 32mb esram there would of been room for 28 compute units, with 24 active and @853mhz that would of been a 2.6tflop system, oh boy that would of changed things. There is a chance they would of gone for 4gb GDDR5 and 4gb DDR3, but I dont think that would effect performance to much.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

If xbox in 2013 was like xbox now or xbox in the early og and 360 years they would of done better.

I wonder what the xbox one would of been if it was gamer focused. With out the 32mb esram there would of been room for 28 compute units, with 24 active and @853mhz that eould of been a 2.6tflop system, oh boy that would lf changed things. There is a chance they would of gone for 4gb GDDR5 and 4gb DDR3, but I dont think that would effect performance to much.

This. A better or at least equivalent piece of hardware at a matching price would have done a much better job holding 360 users. People underestimate the damage done by the price and performance combo. With that said, I had great fun with mine, pixel counts aren't everything.

Sosokrates

This. A better or at least equivalent piece of hardware at a matching price would have done a much better job holding 360 users. People underestimate the damage done by the price and performance combo. With that said, I had great fun with mine, pixel counts aren't everything.

Yeah despite its lower power, it was actually a powerful machine, it had games like gears 4 and quantum break which looked like a true next gen leap.

Its funny how much try hards sony are, they waited for Microsoft to announce price first 2 gens in a row. I hope next gen ms does give them the satisfaction, but I don't think MS care, they were convident of there price this gen, unlike sony who weren't with the PS5.

Last edited:

sainraja

I wonder what the xbox one would of been if it was gamer focused. With out the 32mb esram there would of been room for 28 compute units, with 24 active and @853mhz that would of been a 2.6tflop system, oh boy that would of changed things. There is a chance they would of gone for 4gb GDDR5 and 4gb DDR3, but I dont think that would effect performance to much.
Not sure how that is relevant to what I said or takes away from what I said — you are just going into the 'why' about the Xbox One; I simply mentioned how it was the reason for what lead them to their current direction — they learned. There is a reason why what they are doing now isn't what they were doing back in 2013. Hell, they could have been successful in 2013 if they played their cards right and controlled how their messaging was and a friendlier verification system.

Speaking of the original Xbox, it already had its chance and we all know how that went so not sure how that comes into play with your what if scenario but that's a separate discussion anyway.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Not sure how that is relevant to what I said or takes away from what I said — you are just going into the 'why' about the Xbox One; I simply mentioned how it was the reason for what lead them to their current direction — they learned. There is a reason why what they are doing now isn't what they were doing back in 2013. Hell, they could have been successful in 2013 if they played their cards right and controlled how their messaging was and a friendlier verification system.

Speaking of the original Xbox, it already had its chance and we all know how that went so not sure how that comes into play with your what if scenario but that's a separate discussion anyway.

I mean, Nintendo introduced a hybrid console with the switch and sony, are doing PSVR2, psnow etc so they are not doing things any more traditional then Xbox is.

Last edited:

sainraja

I mean, Nintendo introduced a hybrid console with the switch and sony, are doing PSVR2, psnow etc so they are not doing things any more traditional the Xbox is.
I was contributing to the conversation kingfey was having with On Demand and Microsoft's focus being on a subscription based business model, where the subscriptions matter more, less the hardware. In MS's current situation, you can't say hardware is not important at all because it is — they are not completely agnostic from it, they need to move hardware to sell subs but PC is definitely more of a focus for MS this generation (Xbox app and what not). I know a lot of it was put in place during the XONE generation but it's what they were gearing towards. Anyway, reading the full conversation might help you see why I said what I said.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
what about replaced, crossfire x, Somerville, as dusk falls,tunic, planet Lana, etc?
I think the user you're quoting is talking about MS Published games primarily.

I don't think there's any MS published game upcoming that has been announced, or talked about, cross-gen.

As Dusk Falls is the only of those you quoted that seems to be published by MSG.

I think the user you're quoting is talking about MS Published games primarily.

I don't think there's any MS published game upcoming that has been announced, or talked about, cross-gen.

As Dusk Falls is the only of those you quoted that seems to be published by MSG.
Is STALKER 2 published by microsoft?

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah I don't think it's insane to think that's what some of us want to talk about. God forbid right?

You sure? Because MS used to ALWAYS talk about sales up until 2015.

So you know MS has stopped giving out Sales numbers since 2015. Yet you’ll come to a discussion forum in 2022 and whine “where are the sales numbers”

Isn’t that the textbook definition of trolling? Is that really what you should be doing?

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean they only have two games even announced for the year and they don’t come out until the 2nd half of 2022 almost 2023

How’s this a relevant or sensible response to “Microsoft has no more announced first party cross-gen games”?

No it's developed and published by GSC world, it's just MS exclusive, possibly a 6~10 month like Medium.

3 months, I believe.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Right. Which bring me back to my original point

Well, yes, they just don't have confirmed release window/announcements on most of the games currently being developed under MS Studios.

We can guarantee Deathloop will release on Series consoles when its 1 year is over, it won't be a cross gen. Forza Motorsport is reportedly being developed on a new engine focusing on the new consoles so that seems like itll be unlikely to be cross-gen.

Maybe we'll see more confirmed release dates on more projects like HB2, Fable, Avowed etc by E3.

Sosokrates

I was contributing to the conversation kingfey was having with On Demand and Microsoft's focus being on a subscription based business model, where the subscriptions matter more, less the hardware. In MS's current situation, you can't say hardware is not important at all because it is — they are not completely agnostic from it, they need to move hardware to sell subs but PC is definitely more of a focus for MS this generation (Xbox app and what not). I know a lot of it was put in place during the XONE generation but it's what they were gearing towards. Anyway, reading the full conversation might help you see why I said what I said.

I just dont think the notion that xbox cant compete with Nintendo and sony in the traditional sense is not true. They all do things differently.

Shanomatic

If the Switch thread on here is any indication of GAF’s understanding of a console’s prospective success, Xbox is gonna sell 100 million by the end of the gen lol

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
While I completely agree that first-party should have been priority number one from day one, I think MS supported the 360 well. They even accepted that huge write down to protect the brand and were spending a lot of $$$ on content. The biggest grievance you could have with them then was that they should have re-appropriated some of the funds they were spending on money-hats back then and put that into first-party acquisitions.
Microsoft wouldve never won that game - buying timed exclusives. That's Sony's bag. Sony would've eaten their lunch even worse than they did last gen. Hell, that's how they daggered Sega back in the Dreamcast days. It's an entirely different story now.

Thinking back, it's kind of amazing Xbox one survived off of mostly Halo, Gears and Forza. Leaning heavy on just 3 IPs like that for an entire generation would've killed anyone else. Shits crazy...

Leyasu

Banned
Sony and Nintendo talk about theirs. Not surprising on a enthusiast forum people want to know actual hardware sales for Xbox and not PR and estimates.
I'm an enthusiast. The only sales that concern me are the ones the consoles that I have purchased. CatLady CatLady was spot on, sales numbers are just fanboy console warring fodder.

The enthusiast bit is fucking bullshit and we all know it

John Wick

Look some of you really need to accept that Microsoft dont release console sales numbers anymore.
They havent since 2014 so its not like this is a new thing. Plus Phil literally said before this gen started that No they wont release sales numbers this gen, even if they were winning. That was his words.
Of course bits of info comes out that lets us estimate numbers, and that will have to do.

Said this earlier, i predict 70-80mil sales this gen, sales will probably be over 80mil in all probability due to IMO the gen going on a year or two longer than orig planned due to Covid and supply constraint.
PS5 will sell 100+mil and win the gen.
There really is no need for this downplaying, or conspiracy theories evrytime Micosoft has a bit of good news. PS5 is still going to win the gen so cant we just have a bit of goodwill over the fact that all 3 majory companies are doing well?.
What is this victim mentality Xbox fans always display?
No one is downplaying anything. Xbox is doing better than last gen that is obvious.
The only problem I have is MS shouldn't get into the numbers game if it doesn't want to disclose the numbers. Simple as that.

Ozriel

M$FT
This type of response is a typical MS fanboy/girl.
Starts off with the usual shit.......
Accuses anyone asking for numbers of being Sony hardcore etc etc.
Shareholders and investors will be mentioned because apparently they are the only people who should have this information.
Accuses anyone interested in numbers of being jealous etc. Non of us own a Series S or X.
Another typical fanboy/girl sign never fails to mention how Xbox is a small part of MS business. MS is a trillion dollar company the usual spiel.
It's sad and pathetic. Like i said before MS should STFU if they can't backup the numbers talk. It's no point in claiming record breaking sales if you can't provide the numbers.
This has nothing to do with the one ring you xbots love going on about.....

Strange how this post ticks off most of the ‘console warrior’ checkboxes.

Spencer’s interview spurred articles on Gamespot, Eurogamer, VGC etc, and tweets from industry analysts. Do you see any other grownups asking them to ‘STFU’ if they won’t release exact sales numbers?

Grownups recognize that MS isn’t putting out numbers again, and that there’s more than enough public information to make reasonable sales estimates that should be accurate enough +/- a few million. And they’re perfectly fine with this.

Is $499 (or $299) such an insurmountable sum that you have to ramble on about ‘xbots’ ? Have you considered Xbox All Access plans?

Stuart360

Shareholders and investors will be mentioned because apparently they are the only people who should have this information.
Accuses anyone interested in numbers of being jealous etc. Non of us own a Series S or X.
Another typical fanboy/girl sign never fails to mention how Xbox is a small part of MS business. MS is a trillion dollar company the usual spiel.
It's sad and pathetic. Like i said before MS should STFU if they can't backup the numbers talk. It's no point in claiming record breaking sales if you can't provide the numbers.
Catgirl is right though to be fair, the relevant people will get the info, we dont need to know at the end of the day, and all sales numbers are used for with us is console warring.
I mean come on now John, seriously why do you want to know the numbers?, just lay it on the ground now.

I mean if this was a new policy by microsoft that just came in, or even came in right before the gen started, fair enough. It isnt though, it was a policy change in 2014.
We just need to let it go. We get enough titbits of info to make us some rough estimates.

kuncol02

Banned

That was said many times already, but esram was effect of MS wanting to have 8gb of RAM. PS4 originally was planned to have 4gb of ram, but prices dropped significantly and they were able to change it to 8gb.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's funny that some of you guys still till this day lie about what Jim Ryan was saying when he used that quote. It's sad really. That quote never meant that they wouldn't make another game on the PS4.

If he means that, then he's blaming Sony for having more 1st party games in development overall than MS. I'm sure games like Horizon 2 were in development 2-3 years ago.

Doesn’t Microsoft have more studios now so have more games in development? Am sure somebody posted a list in a thread within the last day or two. Not saying that one studios games will be better or worse but am sure Microsoft have more games in development

phil_t98

#SonyToo

That comes across massive fanboy when you say they should STFU

they are not here to please you with console warring. People only want numbers for a pissing contest. Just believe them that they are doing well and competition is good

Ozriel

M$FT
really fun thread to read never excepted so many people could put trust into something without actual evidence and become easily manipulated sheep herd. do you guys are so naive in life also?

Prominent industry analysts are perfectly fine with the head of Xbox telling Kara Swisher that Series X/S is their fastest selling xbox ever (year one). But here you are, insinuating Phil is lying and everyone who believes this is a ‘gullible sheep’.

What ‘actual evidence’ would suffice for you? production manifests from Foxconn + spreadsheets showing detailed delivery numbers to every single retailer?

This will be a long and painful generation for you, I suspect. Because it does look like Xbox is on a full on redemption path, and they’ll have the games to back that up. And that seems to unduly distress you. Pity

... nine years ago, before the Xbone imploded causing virtually everyone except Phil Spencer to be removed. Stop the low effort troll posts, unless you thinking dredging up some of Sony's amazing PS3 quotes is somehow also relevant in 2022.

$599 US DOLLARS!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hype for the limited "it prints money" edition

XBOOX-BEN.jpg

phil_t98

#SonyToo
really fun thread to read never excepted so many people could put trust into something without actual evidence and become easily manipulated sheep herd. do you guys are so naive in life also?

And when numbers are put out you believe them also?

they can be fudged to ya know.

The sheep all jump on the Xbox threads to down play them to ya know so it works both ways

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What is this victim mentality Xbox fans always display?
No one is downplaying anything. Xbox is doing better than last gen that is obvious.
The only problem I have is MS shouldn't get into the numbers game if it doesn't want to disclose the numbers. Simple as that.
This is the odd bit and the habit of speaking out of both sides of your mouth / wanting your cake and eating it too… you cannot have it both ways, either you disclose the numbers or you do not play the numbers game. How is stating this a fanboy argument? The answers to this I see are essentially “it is because… it is…”.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And when numbers are put out you believe them also?

they can be fudged to ya know.

The sheep all jump on the Xbox threads to down play them to ya know so it works both ways

If MS and Sony provide shipped to retailers numbers we can believe them, it is not impossible to see if they are massively over shipping after a few quarters.

Darius87

Prominent industry analysts are perfectly fine with the head of Xbox telling Kara Swisher that Series X/S is their fastest selling xbox ever (year one). But here you are, insinuating Phil is lying and everyone who believes this is a ‘gullible sheep’.
any knowledgeable person with education reading about records would expect some figures to back it up rather take word from others.
do you think phill doesn't lie? just type in google "phill spencer meme" and look at his nose :messenger_grinning:
What ‘actual evidence’ would suffice for you? production manifests from Foxconn + spreadsheets showing detailed delivery numbers to every single retailer?
no not detailed numbers from foxconn it would be enough annually sales numbers for X|S consoles not much to ask isn't?
This will be a long and painful generation for you, I suspect. Because it does look like Xbox is on a full on redemption path, and they’ll have the games to back that up. And that seems to unduly distress you. Pity
like painful in what way? it would be great if xbox will succeed but it will do even better if xbox PR team would be more transparent. see i wish all the best for xbox :messenger_grinning_smiling:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If MS and Sony provide shipped to retailers numbers we can believe them, it is not impossible to see if they are massively over shipping after a few quarters.

Why can you believe them? Its a number put out by a company.

when Forza horizon launched there was something like 6 or 7 million players in the weekend befor it launched with the ultimate edition launching first. People came on and tried to down play numbers in every fashion possible. It was people lending the game out it was multiple people using the same account blah blah blah . When ever there is a positive Microsoft thread in here there is always people who down play it.

Numbers is just a pissing contest these days, we know the ps5 has sold more and will the entire gen but what difference does it make to Sony users what Xbox has sold?

Top Bottom