• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X rewrites the rules of console design - and the power level should be extraordinary

ethomaz

Banned
dude i was on gametrailers way before that talking about orbis being 40% more powerful. durango and orbis leaked waaay before any conference.
Look at the past threads here... you will see.

There is leak showing PS5 stronger than Scarlett from devs too.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Phil posts this article without any qualification. The article repeatedly takes for granted that XSX is a 12TF performance monster. To say this is further evidence that XSX is indeed 12TF is an argument from silence. However at this point if the XSX is not 12TF, Phil wouldn't only be guilty of letting the narrative run away, hyping gamers for inevitable anger and disappointment. More than that he would be playing a role in misleading the public. It's 12TF, no question anymore in my mind.
Agreed here. Its 12Tf for sure, if not more. Phil is known to downplay the things they do. I wouldnt be surprised if its a bit more. The tech inside this thing is Holy Shit, though.

VAL0R

Banned
Phil posts this article without any qualification. The article repeatedly takes for granted that XSX is a 12TF performance monster. To say this is further evidence that XSX is indeed 12TF is an argument from silence. However at this point if the XSX is not 12TF, Phil wouldn't only be guilty of letting the narrative run away, hyping gamers for inevitable anger and disappointment. More than that he would be playing a role in misleading the public. It's 12TF, no question anymore in my mind.
" Previously known by its codename of Anaconda (under the Project Scarlett umbrella) the aim has always been to double the outgoing X's prowess with 12 teraflops of compute performance as an internal target. "

They do site the 9-10TF possibility (not all flops are equal):
"If we 'do the math', in raw teraflops alone, the new console is indeed a 12TF machine based on Microsoft's stated comparisons with Xbox One and the X. However, if we're dealing with performance in like-for-like workloads, the Navi architecture's improvements deliver more perf for your teraflop than prior GCN tech, and our tests suggest that a 9-10TF Navi GPU can provide the requisite doubling of performance up against Xbox One X even before other new architectural features come into play. "

Only to brush it aside:
"However, our information is that the GPU is indeed 12TF and what are almost certainly well-sourced leaks from Windows Central back this up. "

"Two of the key aspects in system set-up are being pushed beyond what we currently know as reasonable limits for console design - 12TF suggests a processor at the upper end of the kind of size we've seen in an AMD-based console, possibly larger - and this would be a significant achievement from the new 7nm fabrication process. "

McRazzle

How can XBOX Series X be RDNA 2 ?
AMD has confirmed Ryzen 2 CPU for PS5/Xbox, which is on 7nm DUV, and RDNA 2 is on 7NM EUV.
I think it's more likely they're using an AMD Navi 5700XT.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I'm still not 100% convinced XsX is 12TF based on 2x power as opposed to 2x flops comment by Phil at TGA, but if it isn't and he just lets the info in this article slide I'd be pretty disgusted and I'm a huge Phil fan.

dcll

Banned
So are there any videos or pics of what we can realistically expect from this coming generation? What kind of things can we expect more than just visuals?

Geki-D

Banned
So are there any videos or pics of what we can realistically expect from this coming generation? What kind of things can we expect more than just visuals?
Far as I'm aware this is the only actual real time gameplay footage we have of a next gen game for now:
DeepAppropriateChrysalis-size_restricted.gif

I have no doubts that the Series X and PS5 will be really close in power - who knows at this point which one will have the slight edge? The answer is none of us.

All I can hope for is that Sony takes thermals seriously this time - the PS4 Pro’s thermal management was terrible. It seems MS is taking it very serious with the design of the Series X. I hope Sony doesn’t feel like they are constrained by design aesthetics and is going to make a small box this time. Make it bigger - I don’t care, I just don’t want to hear a Harrier taking off when I’m playing a game. I’m actually hoping they too go for a larger case so temps can be controlled well without needing fans running at crazy high RPMs.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
we knew very early on that orbis was 40% more powerful.

Correct

Nope.

It just got evident after XB1 reveal in May 2013.
Before that the Durango leaks had DGPU, secret sauce, zillions of theories about MS not showing their cards.
And the main point all leaks pointed to MS having more RAM (8GB) than Sony (4GB).
Actually that's incorrect, the leaks of Durango included the use of DDR3 and ESRAM which MS did not mention in their reveal, all they said was that Xbox One would have 8GB of ram without even mentioning the type of ram. The dGPU was never part of the leak, but simply a theory from this crazy dude going by the name is MisterXmedia.

dude i was on gametrailers way before that talking about orbis being 40% more powerful. durango and orbis leaked waaay before any conference.

Correct

Last edited:
Snore. I wouldn't celebrate so soon. Sonys machine is likely to be more powerful and better designed. It already has a better name.
This is where rumors are pointing at... but who knows?
Considering the CPU, the leap is a lot greater than the TFLOP number indicates. It will be a MASSIVE boost in performance when it comes to physics and other CPU intensive tasks
Physics run much better on GPUs than on CPUs.

Geki-D

Banned
Correct

Actually that's incorrect, the leaks of Durango included the use of DDR3 and ESRAM which MS did not mention in their reveal, all they said was that Xbox One would have 8GB of ram without even mentioning the type of ram. The dGPU was never part of the leak, but simply a theory from this crazy dude going by the name is MisterXmedia.

Correct
Whilst I'm sure this argument sounded clever in your heads... Back then people simply choose not to believe the leaks and rumours so this:
It is like that every gen transition... some xbox fans always thinks the new MS console will be the second coming and PlayStation/Nintendo are doomed.
Still happened. Even when the specs did drop, you guys don't remember the "secret second GPU" nonsense? People believed that hard, because they wanted their second coming.

lol You guys acting like the leaks dropped and people were like "Well, we've been told. Eighth-gen console war over."

Yeah, no.

ethomaz

Banned
Whilst I'm sure this argument sounded clever in your heads... Back then people simply choose not to believe the leaks and rumours so this:

Still happened. Even when the specs did drop, you guys don't remember the "secret second GPU" nonsense? People believed that hard, because they wanted their second coming.

lol You guys acting like the leaks dropped and people were like "Well, we've been told. Eighth-gen console war over."

Yeah, no.
Not just the dGPU...

Artur Gies become famous in GAF due the "Secret Sauce".

its just powerful but now its mostly meh to use due its exclusives are on pc too.....the true power of console are its specialties such as exclusives to show its true power of being closed machines now its exclusives are now going pc this one mostly lost hurt on this console.....think the games will be superior on pc that showing graphics standards...if they gonna want more sales on these console then make a exclusives thing for Xbox Series X only(such as exclusive functions,graphics or anything to make more that exclusives games more unique version than its PC counterpart think like that Dragon Quest 11 that switch version has more unique feature unlike its PC/PS4 version even though they are same but some exclusive on switch make more sell like cakes too even sub-par graphics)

as i tell you.......Xbox Series X is good console on details but its games are its weakness if they notice these games are important then xbox series x will have sales (and to me Xbox GamePass is a just gimmick to tell they have games but in reality or just digging to the past library that you never get or never heard of that MS thinks it will worth your time to play yup those games are good but in future....the games are counted are in future not in the past itself even there is a deals for new games but these make game developer hurts on their knee.....xbox games will slow game sales that cause more games delayed or some waiting for budget for next sequel will thats my guess) but multiplatform games due we are on age of crossplay)

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
its just powerful but now its mostly meh to use due its exclusives are on pc too...
Ultimately, when you think about it, you could play all X Series first party games most likely on your current PC, at a lower spec. Or I guess just get X Cloud (I assume it'll be about in a year) and stream them at launch at seemingly the highest spec.

...Why are MS trying to sell me a console, again...?

Last edited:
Ultimately, when you think about it, you could play all X Series first party games most likely on your current PC, at a lower spec. Or I guess just get X Cloud (I assume it'll be about in a year) and stream them at launch at seemingly the highest spec.

...Why are MS trying to sell me a console, again...?

its double-edge for them i wish they put a exclusive function on xbox x series like for example that HellBlade 2 has special button effects only on console that will never show on PC/functions that make more unique to buy it the console version not PC version....

yeah its anti-consumer...but they are selling console on their business that make you to be proud owner of xbox x series that definitely has unique and different taste of gaming machine not being a called "PC lookalike Lite version"

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
its double-edge for them i wish they put a exclusive function on xbox x series like for example that HellBlade 2 has special button effects only on console that will never show on PC/functions that make more unique to buy it the console version not PC version....
The SSD no loading stuff should be a console only feature for some time. ...But X Cloud should still have that.

Blond

Banned
Cool but in my honest opinion give Microsoft 2 years before we start giving them all this praise mmmkay? They have a track record of 2 years of great games then fizzling out except for Halo...this is going all the way back to the original Xbox, and I'm not going be burned a 4th time. I doubt any of the studios they bought are going to stay open before the end of the generation, which is something they've also done for 3 generations.

If I'm wrong, dig out this post and shove it in my face but there's honestly no reason to rejoice about all this if we're in for a repeat of what we've seen for 20 years...and holy crap I'm getting old.

I'm confused as how the design is considered something amazing out of this world. It's a black box. Functional, practical, nothing wrong with it, but it is just a black box. It's not a lost Da Vinci painting that will change art or the concept of beauty forever.
I honestly don't know either. I guess if your world for "design" doesn't go past video game consoles... then I guess it would be something that would amaze you. Yea, it's a "different" look for a home console, but that aesthetic is nothing new. Like others have pointed out it looks like what other pieced of tech look like right now. It looks like the Linksys Velop towers. Not saying it doesn't look good or that it looks bad, but it's kinda just okay. My first initial thoughts when I saw it was "oh that's different than what consoles usually look like" I actually like the way it looks, it's simple, bare bones, and utilitarian, but definitely not "bold" as some have said. It actually closely mimics that design aesthetic of the Xbox One X just reworked as a rectangular tower.

The SSD no loading stuff should be a console only feature for some time. ...But X Cloud should still have that.
but this same aim of sony technically another zero for them x cloud is okay too but its like streaming service mostly a remote play version like Sony or Steam technically they need games show real stuff being a xbox for next generations that will show unique and exclusivity for microsoft gamers

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta say, I'm a lot more excited for the consoles this time around than I was for PS4/Xbox One. Knowing that we're getting some powerful CPUs and built-in SSDs this generation is really encouraging.

Last edited by a moderator:

FranXico

Cool but in my honest opinion give Microsoft 2 years before we start giving them all this praise mmmkay? They have a track record of 2 years of great games then fizzling out except for Halo...this is going all the way back to the original Xbox, and I'm not going be burned a 4th time. I doubt any of the studios they bought are going to stay open before the end of the generation, which is something they've also done for 3 generations.

If I'm wrong, dig out this post and shove it in my face but there's honestly no reason to rejoice about all this if we're in for a repeat of what we've seen for 20 years...and holy crap I'm getting old.
Bookmarked.

ethomaz

Banned
I honestly don't know either. I guess if your world for "design" doesn't go past video game consoles... then I guess it would be something that would amaze you. Yea, it's a "different" look for a home console, but that aesthetic is nothing new. Like others have pointed out it looks like what other pieced of tech look like right now. It looks like the Linksys Velop towers. Not saying it doesn't look good or that it looks bad, but it's kinda just okay. My first initial thoughts when I saw it was "oh that's different than what consoles usually look like" I actually like the way it looks, it's simple, bare bones, and utilitarian, but definitely not "bold" as some have said. It actually closely mimics that design aesthetic of the Xbox One X just reworked as a rectangular tower.
You forget there is a Xbox logo there so it will look awesome to some.
The actual design is indeed big and bland for a console.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Can it really be considered massive? Isn't it just average in size? I'm relatively sure I saw a volume comparison in a thread around here somewhere..

Now that the DF article pretty much confirmed of Xbox gpu being 12tf with mordern advancements that beat 2019 gpus, I'd like to hear what that user r600 or something and the vxf fake insider bullshitter think about that huh ?

Lots of meltdowns already comming from some people support sub 10tf

zeorhymer

Why is everyone jumping on the more powerful specs train? I thought time and time again, it's not the most powerful console which wins the console wars.

Evilms

Banned
Following the latest rumors, it seems that Mark Cerny is working like crazy in his rotten garage to bring the PS5 up to the level of the Xbox X series
1465686632-jesuus-risitas.png

gatti-man

Wanna hear something controversial?

I don't really care for the console designs that much. You can barely see the ps4 in my setup and all I care about is that the console is powerful enough for cool new games, hopefully quiet and has great exclusives.
Yes cool and quiet loud consoles suck. Heat doesn’t bother me nearly as much as super loud fans do. I’d rather the console be the size of suitcase than it be loud.

No lies detected. MS has never seemed consistently interested in games as much as selling you shit in a box that sits in your living room. And I’ve been on Xbox since the OG.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think it's pointless trying to deduct which one will be the most powerful at this point, but I'm happy that the XSX will be at least 2x the 1X in gpu and 4x in CPU, games still look fantastic on the 1x so games for next gen are going to incredible.

hunthunt

Banned
i just simply cant wait for Sony to unveil a better looking (thats a given) and more powerfull console (thats what everybody says)

The better exclusives we all know will be in Ps5.

Im expecting meltdowns like we havent seen in years (since the Ps4 and xbox one specs reveal lol)

Elenchus

Banned
Cooling a 4.2TF console should have been easy for Sony and they still failed to get it done.

MS’s engineers fit a 6TF APU throwing off more heat into a smaller console and still got it to run cooler and quieter than the Pro.

The only excuse we got was that the 1X came out later (as if that has anything to do with the cooling options that were available to Sony’s engineers for Pro).

I’m glad everyone thinks PS5 will be more powerful and I don’t actually care as I’ll own both eventually but if I see a small PS5 case with claims of 13 or 14TF there is no way in hell im buying that day one.

Sony was already behind in cooling and the fact that even the newer models of the Pro still sound like jet engines leaves me wary.

Show me a bookshelf with a cord Sony! I’ll kiss each dollar as I turn it over. Otherwise I’ll see you in 2021 my friend.

Mista

Banned
Oh god the headache. Thats what I dislike when shifting to a new gen. “Looks at this powerhorse” “Powerhorse? Lol! Look at this mustang” and so on

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Cooling a 4.2TF console should have been easy for Sony and they still failed to get it done.

MS’s engineers fit a 6TF APU throwing off more heat into a smaller console and still got it to run cooler and quieter than the Pro.

The only excuse we got was that the 1X came out later (as if that has anything to do with the cooling options that were available to Sony’s engineers for Pro).

I’m glad everyone thinks PS5 will be more powerful and I don’t actually care as I’ll own both eventually but if I see a small PS5 case with claims of 13 or 14TF there is no way in hell im buying that day one.

Sony was already behind in cooling and the fact that even the newer models of the Pro still sound like jet engines leaves me wary.

Show me a bookshelf with a cord Sony! I’ll kiss each dollar as I turn it over. Otherwise I’ll see you in 2021 my friend.

They cooled it just fine, you mean noise?

Also, maybe they learned their lesson, like they did to usher in the PS4 compared to the gen prior.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom