• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X rewrites the rules of console design - and the power level should be extraordinary

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
why is that “likely”? just curious. The one x was more powerful and better designed than the pro and MS has more to lose than Sony.

I wouldnt be surprised in either scenario but to me MS has shown more recently their capabilities and intents. And like I said before, they need it more.

Not really, the One X arrived a year after the Pro, and was positioned specifically to address the stigma haunting the One since day #1, that it was underpowered compared to PS4.

The plain fact is that Sony have had longer to prepare, have had devkits out with devs for more time, and have been in the driving seat vis-a-vis market share since 2014.

Despite the PR spin, Sony are the ones operating from the position of strength and MS have been scrambling hard and long to little discernable effect competitively.

Most of all though, Sony corporation are far more invested in the success of the next Playstation console than MS are with Xbox. Because much of the business imperative for MS is the platform agnostic service layer and the Azure infrastructure that back-ends it.

Can't say which will be more powerful XSX or PS5, but it does appear to be true that the XSX is primarily designed to cool hardware well. It is essentially a wind tunnel that brings air in through the bottom and out the top. Looks a lot like the Corsair One if you've ever seen one.

Historically two of the main limiting factors for performance on consoles were how much power they were willing to draw and how well it could be cooled.

Assuming they are willing to draw a lot of power, the design suggests they will be able to cool it and that could definitely lead to high performance, with both CPU and GPU clocked higher than would normaly be expected for a console.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm confused on the power, it says true generation leap and is 8x the power of the XB1 and 2x the X, if that is the case why is the X not considered a generation leap over the XB1? Not a sarcastic question, I really am out of the loop and don't know and am ignorant on the subject
X is a mid-gen upgrade and no it was never a generational leap.

Journey

Banned
I'm confused as how the design is considered something amazing out of this world. It's a black box. Functional, practical, nothing wrong with it, but it is just a black box. It's not a lost Da Vinci painting that will change art or the concept of beauty forever.

I'm not crazy about the design, I was expecting something different from the team that built the X1X and Surface products, but your Da Vinci comments make you sound a bit salty lol.

From what I understood, the console design rules have changed to focus on keeping the system cool and quiet, while at the same time putting as much power in the box as possible, something that was impossible compared to what you can put into a PC now a days because of power and cooling requirements, but if the team managed to crack that barrier, then we could again have a console that rivals high end PC at launch like they used to in the past, and possibly outclass Sony. If Phil pulls this off, will he finally be redeemed?

OG XB1 wasn't a looker, yes. Revisions put Sony to bed and the XB1X is a piece of engineering way above what Sony could do. Not only based on looks, but also on internals (noice etc.)
Cooling computer components isn't rocket science. The PS4 Pro wasn't noisy because Sony was incapable of designing a better cooling solution, but because they thought they could get away with it, and the console's success proved them right.

Ar¢tos

I'm not crazy about the design, I was expecting something different from the team that built the X1X and Surface products, but your Da Vinci comments make you sound a bit salty lol.

From what I understood, the console design rules have changed to focus on keeping the system cool and quiet, while at the same time putting as much power in the box as possible, something that was impossible compared to what you can put into a PC now a days because of power and cooling requirements, but if the team managed to crack that barrier, then we could again have a console that rivals high end PC at launch like they used to in the past, and possibly outclass Sony. If Phil pulls this off, will he finally be redeemed?
I expect ps5 to be just as ugly, or just as lacking in beauty.
I'm not salty, I'm just surprised that people can get so in love with a brand that when they release a black box, LITERALLY a black box we get articles and posts congratulating the brand for such modern and sleek design, etc.
Consoles designs have been really really dull for ages, and now because of the tech inside them they are forced to go to safe black boxes, because making an ultra over the top design is risky and limited to dev kits.

Zato

Banned
Richard has wrote so much incorrect and overhyped nonsense before that it is hard to take him serious.

Sometimes his stuff is no better than a Forbes contributor.

Geki-D

Banned
Didn't he get a souvenir of the soc (did) from his last visit to MS?
Yep.
e28e31bbd4bb4c2d0492fa7a4c71a69f.jpeg

I'm sure Richard Leadbetter will be getting another one very soon.

[
"Rewrites the rules, it's revolutionary!"

it's a box
Are you really that dense? Yes,its a box. Its whats in the box. Its pushing specs that rival top of the line gaming PCs. Its a 12 tf navi gpu with RDNA 2 features,Zen 2 CPU, hardwaare accelerated ray tracing,SSD etc... The fact that it requires a PC tower like design speaks to how powerful the thing is. Its pushing the bounderies in terms of watts that a console achieves

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Most of all though, Sony corporation are far more invested in the success of the next Playstation console than MS are with Xbox. Because much of the business imperative for MS is the platform agnostic service layer and the Azure infrastructure that back-ends it.

I too believe Sony to be much more invested in the success actual next gen boxes. It's reported Xbox had revenue of $10B which is nice and all, but that's lunch money for one of the world's richest corporations.

The overwhelming success of the PS4 this gen has pulled Sony out the the financial difficulties they were facing not too long ago and has been instrumental in keeping them alive . I have no doubt it's imperative they keep that revenue stream coming in next gen. MS is of course invested in the actual next gen console's success too, but also in to tying it to and expanding on the business that has made them one of the world's richest corps.

manfestival

The article is silly. A different design isn't instant proof of power or improvement. So far it just seems entirely aesthetic. Generally speaking, a new console generation means more powerful consoles.. like DUH. If anything it doesn't prove that microsoft is god tier at squeezing out that extra juice.

TBiddy

Cooling computer components isn't rocket science. The PS4 Pro wasn't noisy because Sony was incapable of designing a better cooling solution, but because they thought they could get away with it, and the console's success proved them right.

It's not rocket science, but it is science. It's hard to keep a console cool and quiet. Ask Microsoft how it went with the 360. Ask Sony how it went with the PS4 and the PS4 Pro.

Maybe Sony could've done better, who knows. But they didn't. That's a fact. The PS4 Pro is a joke in that regards.

Have you seen the new xbox? Did you see the xbox one?

I'm curious. Do you confuse design with looks? I think so.

Dabaus

Banned
I feel like im having deja vu from earlier this year. Remember when sony wasnt saying anything about next gen and we would get daily shill pieces like "Why xbox is set to dominate next gen, xcloud is the future, streaming is the future, etc etc?" Then the April wired article came out and all of that suddenly stopped? Thats what all of this reminds me. And for the record, I dont care if xbox is more powerful, if ps5 has double digit teraflops numbers (10.1-11) and is 399 its game over xbox.

Ar¢tos

People are excited because the Xbox One X is an amazing piece of hardware, and that came under Phil's watch.
I don't get "excited" for pieces of plastic. As long as they are functional, im happy, but excited? Nah. Takes a lot more than tf counts to get me excited.

Thanks to the usual people turning this into console war BS thread. Anyway:

CES should be interesting. I wonder if Phil will make an appearance with Lisa?
We reside in a forum where the majority love Sony and only see Sony and want Sony to be the only console maker and do not see the merits of having multiple console makers. They've made up their minds. I don't think Xbox has ever been popular here, so any good news is bad news. Welcome to NeoGAF. Either way, I love them both and think they both should do well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We reside in a forum where the majority love Sony and only see Sony and want Sony to be the only console maker and do not see the merits of having multiple console makers. They've made up their minds. I don't think Xbox has ever been popular here, so any good news is bad news. Welcome to NeoGAF. Either way, I love them both and think they both should do well.

You weren't around in the 360 era I take it. It is an ebb and flow, of course 100+ million consoles out there will have more of its fans on multiplat boards. It's the law of averages.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I feel like im having deja vu from earlier this year. Remember when sony wasnt saying anything about next gen and we would get daily shill pieces like "Why xbox is set to dominate next gen, xcloud is the future, streaming is the future, etc etc?" Then the April wired article came out and all of that suddenly stopped? Thats what all of this reminds me. And for the record, I dont care if xbox is more powerful, if ps5 has double digit teraflops numbers (10.1-11) and is 399 its game over xbox.
It is like that every gen transition... some xbox fans always thinks the new MS console will be the second coming and PlayStation/Nintendo are doomed.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
You weren't around in the 360 era I take it. It is an ebb and flow, of course 100+ million consoles out there will have more of its fans on multiplat boards. It's the law of averages.
It's one thing to have more people prefer something, it's another to bring stuff like Ledbetter taking home Phil's pubes as some sort of valid talking point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's one thing to have more people prefer something, it's another to bring stuff like Ledbetter taking home Phil's pubes as some sort of valid talking point.

I agree with you on that. Juvenile fanboy shit is annoying.

I see it from EVERY party on here.

Journey

Banned
[
Are you really that dense? Yes,its a box. Its whats in the box. Its pushing specs that rival top of the line gaming PCs. Its a 12 tf navi gpu with RDNA 2 features,Zen 2 CPU, hardwaare accelerated ray tracing,SSD etc... The fact that it requires a PC tower like design speaks to how powerful the thing is. Its pushing the bounderies in terms of watts that a console achieves

Suddenly what's outside is more important, you know, now that the thing literally eats monsters for breakfast :messenger_squinting_tongue:

VAL0R

Banned

Phil posts this article without any qualification. The article repeatedly takes for granted that XSX is a 12TF performance monster. To say this is further evidence that XSX is indeed 12TF is an argument from silence. However at this point if the XSX is not 12TF, Phil wouldn't only be guilty of letting the narrative run away, hyping gamers for inevitable anger and disappointment. More than that he would be playing a role in misleading the public. It's 12TF, no question anymore in my mind.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Phil posts this article without any qualification. The article repeatedly takes for granted that XSX is a 12TF performance monster. To say this is further evidence that XSX is indeed 12TF is an argument from silence. However at this point if the XSX is not 12TF, Phil wouldn't only be guilty of letting the narrative run away, hyping gamers for inevitable anger and disappointment. More than that he would be playing a role in misleading the public. It's 12TF, no question anymore in my mind.

He's walking a thin line if he's misleading.

ethomaz

Banned
we knew very early on that orbis was 40% more powerful.
Nope.

It just got evident after XB1 reveal in May 2013.
Before that the Durango leaks had DGPU, secret sauce, zillions of theories about MS not showing their cards.
And the main point all leaks pointed to MS having more RAM (8GB) than Sony (4GB).

There are tons os threads saying MS will definitely win the generation with all crazy theories just like today with Xbox One Series X.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Nope.

Itjust get evident after XB1 reveal in May 2013.

Before that the Durango leaks had DGPU, secret sauce, zillions of theories about MS not showing their cards.

And the main point all leaks pointed to MS having more RAM (8GB) than Sony (4GB).
dude i was on gametrailers way before that talking about orbis being 40% more powerful. durango and orbis leaked waaay before any conference.

Top Bottom