• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X is the best console for FPS/shooters in 2021. 5 exclusives worth getting excited about

x@3f*oo_e!

I will never understand why guys like you say shit like “this is why I don’t own an Xbox” and then your entire post history showing obviously how much of a PlayStation fan you are is right there for everyone to see? You weren’t going to buy one no matter what games are put out for it.

gifs aside they are kind of right though - during the 360 days there was always big FPS undercurrent about the console -this stuff wasn't interesting to me then and isn't now.

It isn't going to bring in anyone new to the ecosystem imo

[edit - it's still good to feed the base though]

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Now we will have multiple pages of thread because some guy cherry picked only shooters coming out on Xbox(of the total 27 exclusives coming out in 2021 and one definitely not coming out in 2021) ignoring other titles(including some big ones) and everyone conveniently thinks its an official list.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Because Microsoft doesn't cater to consumers outside of their demographic (shoot bang / dudebros ) is the reason why Xbox doesn't interest me. I am not being dishonest here..

And apparently, I am not the only one from if their sales figures are any indication..., or lack of it, compared to the PS4/5 and Switch. Unless Microsoft comes up with quality and variety like Sony, they will be a distant third this generation, like all their generations.
I’ve always owned both consoles and like them for their own reasons.
Having said that how can you say Sony has variety? Literally every single one of their big AAA games that people talk about this generation has been 3rd person Action/Adventure. (To be clear I like most of them quite a bit)

Batiman

Banned
Can’t play shooters with Sony controllers anyways. The sticks are trash for FPS. The duelsense is a bit better in that regard tho

Because Microsoft doesn't cater to consumers outside of their demographic (shoot bang / dudebros ) is the reason why Xbox doesn't interest me. I am not being dishonest here..

And apparently, I am not the only one from if their sales figures are any indication..., or lack of it, compared to the PS4/5 and Switch. Unless Microsoft comes up with quality and variety like Sony, they will be a distant third this generation, like all their generations.
I'm no fan of Xbox, but this is'nt really true anymore. In so much that I have no idea what MS stands for. At this point I can't point to what MS offers over the other two and instead it feels like a jack of all trades, master of none. Yet most of those trades are also done poorly.

You say it's a shooter FPS dudebro box, but is that really what Xbox has been pushing? I mean Halo is always going to be one of thier big shooters, though I'd hardly say the tone and sci-fi aesthetics of that series trade on dudebro shit. Gears has toned down the machismo as well and well I don't think it's replaced it with anything engaging it still is'nt quite dudebro. Outside of that what FPS shooters do they really push?

They aren't the primary home of Call of Duty anymore. Playstation has tried to take that branding from them and I'd say mostly succeeded. Besides any other shooter series, even if they had co-marketing deals with MS also probably did better or just as well on Playstation to the point that I can't think of any that are specifically tied o the brand.

Bedsides that, most of MS recent showings have focused on indie games, what plenty of gaffers would call woke games, and what I would call bland looking generic avatar the last airbender looking cartoony games. So much so that I fail to gleam what MS is trying to offer. Lots of thier showings are of games that feel like they are trying to run 2nd fiddle wo that's popular.

Nintendo has it's Nintendo games.

Sony has thier cinematic single player focused games.

MS has what?

XBOX used to be the shooter console, but no longer.....Halo had a lot to do with that, but Halo has now fallen over a cliff....The best shooters are also on PS, like Titanfall 2. Destiny, all the Battle Royale shooters.....The XBOX controller did well to cement the XBOX's status as the FPS console with it's trigger buttons. Even then, PS's controller did have it's own strengths for shooters, looking at the best times posted in the first Modern Warfare, mostly was on PS3.....Then you can say that the best FPS games in the PS3/360 era were Killzone 2 and RFOM 3 hands down...

With DS4, PS took over everything and had the liveliest multiplayer. Destiny 1 sang on PS4 and the rest is history. Certainly we did not get many hallmark shooters like we did in the 360/PS3 era, but the third party shooters were all more populated and played better on PS4 with it's excellent controller.

Yet, even now, in this gen. XBOX cannot win in this shooter warfare....PS5's knack for 120fps dominance and with a controller that can't be beaten on features and immersion, there is no way XBOX can take that lead.....COD controls and feels better with the Dual Sense, so does Destiny and Rainbow Six.....You will see many other games will continue to stamp on that DualSense seal of approval throughout this gen....Like in Battlefield, but moreso, Sony is gearing up once again to put it's latent shooters back in rotation.....Expect a really innovative and well polished Killzone, Resistance and Socom/Mag for this generation......If they nail one of these out of the pack, farless two, it's a forgone conclusion......
Its taken up to this post for me to finally realise you are taking the piss with your blind fanboy writings.
You almost had me, but this one jumped the shark.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Its taken up to this post for me to finally realise you are taking the piss with your blind fanboy writings.
You almost had me, but this one jumped the shark.

Yeah I've sometimes wondered if it might be a parody account making fun of the Sony zealots. A lot of his posts remind me of Titania McGrath's parody of Radical Feminist SJWs on Twitter in how far over the top they are. It's hard to believe he's actually serious most of the time. He might have outed himself with this one.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Only halo interest me out of the lot but prob at least try the others thanks to gamepass.

LordOfChaos

Did everyone hyping Bright Memory Infinite play Bright Memory first? It's been available in early access on Steam.

It's impressive - for a game largely built by one guy. Infinite is taking that and combining the planned future parts into a single game, and I think he's gotten some help since then. But think indie, not blockbuster. Not going to make remotely the same dent as a Halo let alone be number one on that list.

The level they showed for the Series X was the most visually impressive part of the game, again impressive for how many people built it, but it's a shallow puddle.

Last edited:
I mean... I'll certainly play those on my PC. I do wish SONY would resurrect franchises like Killzone and Resistance, they might get more attention now that they're the top dogs, more people would realize they're easily better than Halo and Gears of War... yeah, I said it.

I mean... I'll certainly play those on my PC. I do wish SONY would resurrect franchises like Killzone and Resistance, they might get more attention now that they're the top dogs, more people would realize they're easily better than Halo and Gears of War... yeah, I said it.

2056641388_5a0bf0de2d_z.jpg

Well, I'll give you this... Killzone 1 is pretty mediocre and Halo 1 is pretty Godly. But I think the rest of the Halo franchise is just "very good" and it felt like they lost any sense of what made the first so fun. Then it was no longer Bungie and we realized how good we had it all along! Gears of Snore has never been good, though.

Well, I'll give you this... Killzone 1 is pretty mediocre and Halo 1 is pretty Godly. But I think the rest of the Halo franchise is just "very good" and it felt like they lost any sense of what made the first so fun. Then it was no longer Bungie and we realized how good we had it all along! Gears of Snore has never been good, though.

There's one legit good game in each of the Killzone (2) and Resistance (1) franchises. I don't think this is even a competition, but hey it's a free country and shit.

There's one legit good game in each of the Killzone (2) and Resistance (1) franchises. I don't think this is even a competition, but hey it's a free country and shit.

You didn't even pick the best Resistance entry. I'm having trouble believing anyone this picky is excited about the slate of 2021 shooters for XSX, though lol

You're right. The XSX is basically my dude bro machine. It's what I use to play shooters on LIVE with my friends. It's also the machine that I'll more than likely buy every mass appeal cross platform game for.

The PS5 is for when I want some me time and escape to some quality gaming.

You didn't even pick the best Resistance entry. I'm having trouble believing anyone this picky is excited about the slate of 2021 shooters for XSX, though lol

I'm pretty pumped about Stalker 2 and Crossfire X, the first one is the sequel to one of the best games of all time and the other one is by Remedy.

I'm pretty pumped about Stalker 2 and Crossfire X, the first one is the sequel to one of the best games of all time and the other one is by Remedy.

I get it with STALKER, I never could get into them, while owning all of them... there's something so... I dunno... they're like the ultimate jank PC games made by eastern europeans who don't care how user friendly things are haha, I feel like I still need to give them another shot or maybe let 2 turn me into a fan. Crossfire X I believe is more of a MP thing and Remedy is doing the campaign and so the campaign won't be coming to gamepass? Upsetting. I'm also a Remedy fan.

teezzy

Banned
Great list of shooters for xbox. Come on sony, what you got???!!

It makes sense for a Microsoft console to double down on FPS and Western RPGs doesn't it? They're doing the right thing here.

People always ask me why I don't buy a Playstation as a PC player... it's because I play on PC because I enjoy FPS and Western RPGs. Otherwise I'd be a Nintendo/Sony guy.

Not sure why so many don't understand.

It makes sense for a Microsoft console to double down on FPS and Western RPGs doesn't it? They're doing the right thing here.

People always ask me why I don't buy a Playstation as a PC player... it's because I play on PC because I enjoy FPS and Western RPGs. Otherwise I'd be a Nintendo/Sony guy.

Not sure why so many don't understand.

I mean, to me the PC fulfills my need for those genres so I get the PS5 for Demon's Souls, Horizon, God of War, etc.

Bramble

Aren't 3-4 of those timed exclusive? And the first one is sitting on a 55 Metacritic, so not a really strong case. The multiplat shooters will most likely still be better than nearly every title on this list. There is absolutely no indicator about the expected quality of all these games.

Bramble

Don't worry. You'll be back. It's all by design anyway.

A couple years ago I was where you're at now. Then I got over all the Third person perspective cinematic crap, that consisted of too much stealth crouching through bushes, and qte's.

Which led me back to FPS.

It's a viscous cycle.

Nah man. I like a nice frantic single player shooter like DOOM once in a few years, but I also got to old for most shooters. I don't see that changing ever again. It's a cool genre if you're young with fast reflexes and lots of time to play to learn all the maps and stuff. But with a wife, kids, pets, a house, full time job, I enjoy a laidback third person adventure game way more.

Nah man. I like a nice frantic single player shooter like DOOM once in a few years, but I also got to old for most shooters. I don't see that changing ever again. It's a cool genre if you're young with fast reflexes and lots of time to play to learn all the maps and stuff. But with a wife, kids, pets, a house, full time job, I enjoy a laidback third person adventure game way more.

I'm curious as to why you'd believe me to be anything other than a married 41 yr old father of 4, with 6 years left on his mortgage, whose stupidly always chosen careers that involve way too much physical labor, and not enough time off.

You're settling buddy. You'll grow old doing that. 😉

Bramble

I'm curious as to why you'd believe me to be anything other than a married 41 yr old father of 4, with 6 years left on his mortgage, whose stupidly always chosen careers that involve way too much physical labor, and not enough time off.

You're settling buddy. You'll grow old doing that. 😉

Well I have no idea what your personal situation is. I'm just talking from my own perspective. I liked shooters when I was a kid, but I grew over them and I don't see that ever changing again. That's all.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
All of them but Halo, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Crossfire X are the ones I'm most interested in.

Series X/S is most assuredly the home of shooters and once all the games from the new studios start dropping Xbox will be king of WRPGs too.
Xbox should get Mistwalker to make Lost Odyssey 2

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Isn’t it being developed as a longer game? That’s what they said
Yes. I've had the game in my library for almost two years. Supposedly made by just one person.

Probably going to be a long wait for the rest of the game. A very long wait.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Xbox should get Mistwalker to make Lost Odyssey 2
I didn't like the game. It was one of the first games I played when I went from MMOs on PC back to console gaming on the 360. I loved JRPGs back in the NES and SNES days, but when I played my first WRPG (Oblivion) I realized I now hated JRPGs.

My feelings about JRPGs aside, I agree it would be a good move for Xbox to make it for all the people that still love JRPGs in general and Lost Odyssey in particular.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Bright Memory was a 55 / 100 rated game, I'm not sure why people would get excited about the next installment.

Even for first person shooters I'd say a PS5 is better due to being the only one with adaptive triggers (a clear improvement in the latest Call of Duty) and slightly better performance.

That, or a PC to play with mouse and keyboard, which is arguably the best way to play those games.

The first instalment was made by one man with like no budget.

Adaptive trigger means the games I wont get to play on the Playstation will be better?

The Series X supports Mouse and Keyboard, so if you want to play with Mouse and Keyboard plug them in.

But thanks for your input.

Top Bottom