• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X games no longer defined by technology, says Matt Booty

I mean you're kinda proving my point. Even when Microsoft had a head start, and was cheaper than the PS3 they STILL couldn't beat Sony.

To be clear, PS5 probably won't have the best launch titles ever made but it's the promise of what's in store (plus actual footage of them) that has people hooked. In comparison you have Fable just getting a pointless CG trailer. This is the problem. Like I said, Halo isn't really even the issue. Halo is a good example of the issue but not the issue itself.
I know what you're saying. But you're forgetting the key piece of why the 360lost the generation; the kinect and not closing out the generation sooner. If Kinect would have been a new console, sony would have never caught up and Microsoft would have slaughtered them.

Halo is the litmus paper of the issue. So yes I agree with your second paragraph

Imo it is just a small portion of the core gamers making a big fuss about halo craig. Everything gets drowned out by this group of concerned gamers

Can you show us how the non hardcore community reception to MS show last week?

They did show tons of games.
And Booty Matt here wasn't damage controlling craig, just reasonable comments on where gaming will be in the next few years 🤷‍♀️

I don't think it's a small portion of fans it's all over gaming groups on Facebook and loads of other social media sites taking the piss out the what we were shown don't be naive and think it's all just on here it's everywhere .... What we were shown from halo infinite was poor there's no way around it you don't have to be a fanboy to admit that , i think ms would be fine if they didn't try to hype up everything to high heavens only to find right at the end it's only vapours .

Last edited:

anothertech

Yeah that Booty is right games are defined by imagination and not hardware and it showed at the showcase.
Do you want to see Xbox series X gameplay ?
cfb7333baf077d645810bef4eee5cd2f.png
We are literally all trying right now

Tryingtoimaginecausenopics.gif

supernova8

Banned
I know what you're saying. But you're forgetting the key piece of why the 360lost the generation; the kinect and not closing out the generation sooner. If Kinect would have been a new console, sony would have never caught up and Microsoft would have slaughtered them.

Halo is the litmus paper of the issue. So yes I agree with your second paragraph

360 came out in 2005 and Kinect came out in 2010. If Microsoft cannot beat Sony in 5 years then they cannot beat Sony. Personally I think Sony is too strong a competitor because they came out with an astronomical price and having the stupid Cell processor that was hard to develop and yet still managed to edge out/tie with 360.

PS4/Xbox One was sort of the opposite, although the architectures were very similar but there was the ESRAM issue and also RAM being held back for Kinect (initially) on top of it already being weaker as a system. On top of that they launched it at a higher price than PS4. They did that and they never recovered.

I think it just shows that Sony's brand power and first party portfolio is sufficient to save them from pretty much whatever Microsoft throws their way. I'm not a 'fanboy' of any side, I just like to look at how the battle plays out. It's very interesting to see how Microsoft is a far bigger company than Sony and yet cannot lay a finger on their console dominance.

Microsoft, i love you and all but:

1) Stop talking. Just stop
2) Delay the XSX. Yes, it's difficult, but one step backwards, two steps forwards
3) Price drop every console you have to the absolute cheapest you can. Cut the legs off of the PS5 by offering the X at £100
4) Buy time, regroup, let your games be completed without rushing them - which at this point in time, your only option is to rush them.

Covid has messed up your plans, send the message, spin it how you want. Do these four, very difficult steps, then go quiet, with only monthly updates of how things are going.

Let the PS5 have the holiday season. Next year, launch the XSX in summer at a much cheaper price than the PS5 and mop-up from there.

You must sacrifice the skirmish of 2020, retreat, regroup and win the war, or you will lose another 7 years of sales
JAYSUS !!!

OccasionalBarrenGannet-size_restricted.gif

Tschumi

I just, i have to go back to earlier comments I've made and say that I'm feeling a really schizophrenic vibe about XSX. I think when they first planned it, they really had the mission to take it to Sony, but they've since seen addictive online battle royal games and the like make so much money that they seem to have tried to shoehorn everything in to this new way of doing things.

It hardly seems in step with having the "most consistently powerful" console evar (a cringeworthy qualified statement if ever i saw one) for them to staunchly decline to really push the envelope in the name of being more "democratic" about the whole thing.

Firstly, there's the premise that there's something wrong with asking fans to buy new consoles. This has always been the way it's done, and there's a unwritten contact that new games will be such a leap forward that the consoles will be worth it. No Sony fan, no Nintendo fan, indeed i believe no Microsoft fan had ever, before now, complained about having to buy a new console in offer to play the newest games.

I think it was that Cherno guy who mentioned this, but being a console developer is apparently very different to being a PC developer, because you have a set range of performance parameters to develop to - on PC you need to build on lots of tiers of performance - Low, Mid, High, Ultra quality graphics - which can undermine your artistic vision. I can only imagine what a headache this backwards playability must be for developers.

I'm not convinced that letting people dip their toes in games is going to make them game more. How do i know that? Because I've bought every game i was ever remotely interested in on steam, and my hacked Vita can play any Vita game - what do i do with this paradise is options? I barely play any games at all, and when i do i have the attention span of a moth. Unless it's freaking WoW. Granted, I'm not everyone else, but i feel like this move will work to undermine customer loyalty and game fanbases, and ultimately reduce full sales.

360 came out in 2005 and Kinect came out in 2010. If Microsoft cannot beat Sony in 5 years then they cannot beat Sony. Personally I think Sony is too strong a competitor because they came out with an astronomical price and having the stupid Cell processor that was hard to develop and yet still managed to edge out/tie with 360.

PS4/Xbox One was sort of the opposite, although the architectures were very similar but there was the ESRAM issue and also RAM being held back for Kinect (initially) on top of it already being weaker as a system. On top of that they launched it at a higher price than PS4. They did that and they never recovered.

I think it just shows that Sony's brand power and first party portfolio is sufficient to save them from pretty much whatever Microsoft throws their way. I'm not a 'fanboy' of any side, I just like to look at how the battle plays out. It's very interesting to see how Microsoft is a far bigger company than Sony and yet cannot lay a finger on their console dominance.
Microsoft did beat Sony for those first 5 years, even with Microsofts' RROD issues. Kinect should have been another console or a mid gen upgrade, preferably another console. Sony clawed their way back because of Kinect and because of the extra time they had. Remember as well that Sony started designing the PS4 around 2010, when Microsoft didn't even think about the One until late 2011. Microsoft cost Microsoft the generation.

Because of the late designing of the One, they hit issue after issue, ESRAM, 4 OS's, Poor yields. All of which would have been avoided if they had ditched the Kinect and designed a new console.

Sony have got massive brand power, only because they've built it over 25 years. People know what they're going to get; a powerful machine with a throng of first party exclusives.

Microsoft can turn it around, but if they fumble in to another generation, they're going to hurt, badly. They've run out of chances with the public IMO, if they have one more issue, or got forbid a RROD fiasco, It will be an impossible climb for the rest of the gen. Can Microsoft really float the Xbox division through 15+ years (from 2010 to the end of the next gen) of losses and poor performance?

Put me in charge, i'll sort this shit out.

Top Bottom