• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Director Asks: Why Do You Want To Know Specs So Early?

Yoboman

Guys it’s just like a movie

First thing I do when buying a new console blindly is heat up some popcorn and then go to the settings and read through every specification. Sometimes I don’t even play games

Dural

I swear people get upset every year about things being spoiled before the E3 conferences. Is this not the same, being spoiled before the reveal?

On another note, does Nintendo ever reveal the specs of their consoles? I know the WiiU specs weren't and the Switch says something like Custom Nvidia Tegra.

jonnyp

MS: "It's 8 times more powerful than the original Xbox and here's the design of the console and a picture of the motherboard and SOC with a "genius" 8K engraving on it"
Potential customers: "So could you please share detailed specs?"
MS: "Shut up already! I don't understand why you creeps would want the specs so early!?"

thelastword

Banned
Don't ask questions, just purchase, consumer! - Mr. "8K" (wHy yOu wAnNa kNoW tHe sPeCs tHo)
Ahemmm !

When you’re among the first to purchase a new console like XBOX Series X, you take the risk that the technology won't work as well as advertised right away, that you won't find a ton of titles that support its special features in year 1, and though the price will drop, making you feel like you wasted your money. However, when you pay a premium for cutting-edge components, you're also buying time, time to enjoy experiences. Well, so you thought.

Life is short. How many months or years do you want to wait to enjoy a new experience? You can sit around twiddling your thumbs and hoping that Series X is the most powerful console, or you can enter the world of next gen with ray-tracing and high-speed, 4K gaming in November of 2020 and never look back. You don't even need to know specs, just know that such an experience will be delivered...When you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to not have believed in Series X's nextgen power and features, and no, you don't need to know the specs to believe this......Remember the "power is in your dreams"....

If you can possibly afford one of the Xbox Series consoles -- even if it's not the most expensive model (The X) -- there's plenty of reasons to pull the trigger now. The time you spend waiting and complaining of whether it will be overpriced or If it is the most powerful console, you could be gaming with the most realistic user experience available. Your friendslist, the OS, best controller, crossplay, Best BC, no censorship, surely these are gamechangers for the most ultimate in gaming experiences nextgen…..
In essence "Just Buy It"

Tarkus98

Ummm, maybe because Phil has already started that ball rolling? Maybe because they are advertising it as the most powerful console?
Maybe look at what your advertising and what your division leader is saying before asking a stupid question like this?

Ten_Fold

So people can go, oh my PC is still stronger, this system is weak lol j. I personally dont care, I just want the games.

Jubenhimer

It's probably me. But I don't give a shit about how many teraflops and flux capacitors are lodged into a piece of plastic. All I want to see, is what games I'll be able to play on it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
says the guy who puts 8K in his name

What did he say..? He just asked a benign question. Instead of getting triggered why not just try to answer the question, maybe there comes somrthing more interesting coming out of it.

It's human nature to try to get hold of information as early as possible. In my case the system wars mentality is burnt out, I'm too old for that shit, but I'm an engineer thus specs is kinda like my hobby, I like to know what makes something tick, and how good it is at it. Also nice to have something to talk to my engineering/developer colleagues about (we are mostly PC gamers though)..

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That kinda gives the impression that he knows the Xbox SX is lower spec

I :LOL: when I think how Sony not shouting about their detailed specs so early meant they were scared/not confident...

...and now we see backpedaling or silence when a top Xbox guy says “Why do you want to know the specs so early? It would spoil the fun like a movie spoiler, can’t you wait until you buy it first please?” ;).

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

BTW, I'm heading off to the car dealership to sign off on a purchase. I can't wait to find out if it's a 4-banger or a V-8! The surprise is what is exciting about the next 5 years of car payments!

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I hope he's right and Xbox launches the same day as PS5 and Breath of the Wild 2 for that matter.

As for the comments, shame if somebody really did call him asshole.

Vawn

Banned
Knowing a systems specs before the console launches is a "spoiler"? What?

Are they going to ask why gamers care about games next?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I couldn't care less about next consoles specs. Games will not look worse than now... so that's ok

TheShocker

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

BTW, I'm heading off to the car dealership to sign off on a purchase. I can't wait to find out if it's a 4-banger or a V-8! The surprise is what is exciting about the next 5 years of car payments!
Horrible comparison. Several car manufacturers keep specs and design choices under lock and key until they’re ready to announce them. The car you buy off the lot is no different than the PS5 or XSX you’ll pick up in the store. You’ll know exactly what you’re getting at the time of purchase.

Stuart360

just hard sometimes when walking at CES and people get mad I won't tell them specs. Literally walk away calling me an Asshole.

Man the last month or so has been crazy. Sony and Microsoft really need to consider releasing specs before there are riots lol.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I care much more about the launch lineup and 2021 games than I do specs because it's those two factors that determine which console I buy at launch and thus become my primary for the entire generation.

Sugarmonkey

Is this guy for real? I mean video game marketing is all about working us into a lather in the hopes that their product, and not someone else's gets our hard earned dollars. Why the fuck would we want to wait to find out specs via slow, calculated teasers until we have blue balls so bad we are curled up in the fetal position the day before release (wow, that really paid off)?? In a perfect world we wouldn't find out about any of this shit until a month, two at most, before it's available to buy and have in our hands.

Last edited:

Bankai

What a ridiculous question. Out of touch much? Pfff..

He of all people should understand the excitement surrounding next-gen right?

Knightime_X

To get an idea on which one will have more compromises in both image quality and performance.
You wouldn't buy a sports car with a weak engine.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Horrible comparison. Several car manufacturers keep specs and design choices under lock and key until they’re ready to announce them. The car you buy off the lot is no different than the PS5 or XSX you’ll pick up in the store. You’ll know exactly what you’re getting at the time of purchase.
Alright well whatever comparison works, the guy said some retarded fucking shit.

Blond

Banned
p4VJHkd.png

No kidding, I doubt people even know who this dude is enough to personally seek him out outside of journalist who already have specifications.

Vawn

Banned
Do the specs matter all that much when every Xbox Series X will have to be able to run on the super underpowered base Xbox One?

David Prien said:
to me it's like movie spoilers I don't want to know until I buy my movie ticket.
That's rich coming from someone who a) won't have to pay for an Xbox if he wants one, and b) already knows the specs.

Top Bottom