• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X CPU tested ( Sort of)

SmokSmog

AMD might have just found a solution to what to do with broken XBOX Series chips.

AMD 4700S is a new processor that is now being advertised by Chinese manufacturers as an ITX compatible solution. The processor name does not feature “Ryzen”, so it is not part of an official AMD desktop consumer product line. According to the seller, the advertised product features an “AMD Cardinal” motherboard. This would suggest that AMD developed this motherboard themselves, which lacks traditional memory DIMM slots, but uses memory located around the processor instead. Just as the XBOX APUs do.

The 4700S is an 8-core and 16-thread CPU manufactured in a 7nm node. The TMALL retailer confirms that it has Zen2 core architecture and 12 MB of cache. It is also confirmed that the 4700S has a boost clock of 4.0 GHz. This frequency is actually higher than XBOX Series X of 3.8 GHz and XBOX Series S APU of 3.6 GHz.
XBOX-Series-S-Motherboard-1.jpg

A higher frequency was achievable because the 4700S does not have iGPU enabled, which takes a lot of power on its own. With no graphics output capability, the unused power was used for the APU compute cores instead. Lack of iGPU also means that the system requires an external discrete GPU such as Radeon RX 550, which is an entry-level Polaris 12 graphics card. This GPU features 2GB of GDDR5 64-bit memory, which is far from what any gamer would want.
AMD-4700S-Motherboard-1.jpg

According to the seller, the AMD 4700S system features 16GB of GDDR6 memory. This implies that the APU could be a reused XBOX Series X chip which is also tied to 16GB memory. Of course, ‘reuse’ is a simplification, those APUs probably were not good enough to end up in XBOX consoles anyway.

The seller also revealed how fast is the AMD 4700S APU. It appears to be slower than both Intel Core i7-9700 CPU and AMD Ryzen 7 4750G PRO, which is too, an 8-core Zen2 APU but with a boost clock going up to 4.4 GHz. Combined with AMD Radeon RX 550, the marketing materials claim that 4700S based system is faster than Intel Core i7-9750H (laptop CPU) combined with GeForce RTX 2060.

AMD-4700S-Performance.jpg

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-4700s-might-be-xbox-series-xs-apu-for-pcs

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Could be shitty chinese bios, don't forget that microcode is supplied through bios.

ethomaz

Banned
Series X actually has a 20GB (320bits) bus memory setup.
That mobo is probably 64bits or 128bits for 16GB.

Last edited:
Smart use of resources that'd otherwise be useless to the Series X due to bad yields tbh. We got a whiff of this as part of their strategy when describing the Series X design as something for both gaming and their Azure cloud, but it's also interesting to see that AMD can probably utilize some of those chips themselves for their own product line.

Curious, does the 12 MB cache refer to the L3$? Does that suggest Series X (and maybe Series S) also have a 12 MB L3$? Wouldn't surprise me; since they did want the design to service Azure as well having a larger-than-usual L3$ would help, and I don't think that's a change AMD would make in repurposing bad yield Series X chips, screams way too much work.

ethomaz

Banned
Smart use of resources that'd otherwise be useless to the Series X due to bad yields tbh. We got a whiff of this as part of their strategy when describing the Series X design as something for both gaming and their Azure cloud, but it's also interesting to see that AMD can probably utilize some of those chips themselves for their own product line.

Curious, does the 12 MB cache refer to the L3$? Does that suggest Series X (and maybe Series S) also have a 12 MB L3$? Wouldn't surprise me; since they did want the design to service Azure as well having a larger-than-usual L3$ would help, and I don't think that's a change AMD would make in repurposing bad yield Series X chips, screams way too much work.
12MB is related to all external cache... L3 8MB (4MB per CCX) and L2 4MB (512KB per Core).

Last edited:
Top Bottom