• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S Sold an Estimated 1.2 to 1.4 Million Units on Launch Day

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Based on preliminary data VGChartz estimates that the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S sold between them an estimated 1.2 million to 1.4 million units worldwide in its first 24 hours.

The Xbox Series X was the more popular version of the platform, with launch day sales between 800,000 and 925,000 units. The Xbox Series S sold between 400,000 and 475,000 units.

The US unsurprisingly is the biggest market for the Xbox Series X and S, accounting for just over half of the launch sales. The two consoles sold between 670,000 and 780,000 units in the US, while in the Americas as a whole it sold between 740,000 and 870,000 units. In Europe, we estimate the Xbox Series X and S sold between 340,000 and 400,000 units.

How many did Xbone do WW on launch day?
All I can find from articles in 2013 is "over a million", so if VGCharts is accurate (if) then the XSS/X is either about equal to or up to 200,00 to 400,000 ahead.

However it should be noted the XO launched in just 13 countries initially, while the XSS/X have 40, so you'd be expecting at least a few more sales.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeh it’s amazing. The guy that runs it literally guesses and then goes back and change his numbers when more reputable or official ones come out lol.

This should be locked and the site should be banned.
If sales numbers actually mattered maybe. But really, who cares? It's not like there aren't loads of crap being dumped into threads everywhere anyway. What's one more?

Freeman76

Yeh it’s amazing. The guy that runs it literally guesses and then goes back and change his numbers when more reputable or official ones come out lol.

LOL coming from the person who refuses to believe Valhalla has bad screen tearing because you watched a video and ignore the numerous gamers telling you otherwise, I wouldnt take anything you say with even a grain of sense

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
When everything is sold out anyway, idk if the numbers for either console tell you much. Anecdotally out of everyone I know on xbox, theres only two of us that were able to get a series x ordered so far. With that as my own personal experience I'd imagine theres still a lot of demand at least in the US. And of course my experience my not be indicative of the actual situation. Had to throw that in there lol.

wolffy71

Banned
It seems that MS has better supply than Sony. At least I can see the XSX and XSS always available for purchase but with different delivering dates indicating a steady supply from Microsoft.
This is gonna depend on region. Theres plenty of places that xbox doesn't have a big fan base and it may take longer to exhaust that areas supply. But overall theres definitely a supply problem.

LOL coming from the person who refuses to believe Valhalla has bad screen tearing because you watched a video and ignore the numerous gamers telling you otherwise, I wouldnt take anything you say with even a grain of sense
He's a clown and you'll often find him derailing Sony threads. Surprised hes not been banned yet.

A solid launch without any brand new games, i guess MS were right when they said they didn't depend on a massive first party line-up, people just want really good tech. Is it disappointing? a bit but i'm not one who relys on brand new games to like the technology. The new games will come and i'm glad they aren't trying to rush them out to impress people, i've still got hundreds of games to play through and Gamepass isn't helping with that either :messenger_grimmacing_ I simply don't have the time to play them all like when i was younger.

giphy.gif

as1m

Banned

To be fair not difficult to guess how this hen will play out as far as sales are concerned.

Elios83

These numbers are obtained using the Xbox One launch numbers as a base, they looked at the UK numbers and guessed a corrective factor out of their ass that seemed reasonable to them. It's just speculation.
Stick to the official numbers, for now just UK numbers, we'll get something else from NPD in the Novembers results.

This is gonna depend on region. Theres plenty of places that xbox doesn't have a big fan base and it may take longer to exhaust that areas supply. But overall theres definitely a supply problem.
Yeah, sure. But what I meant was that it seems that whenever the stock of Xboxes finish, the retailers seem to be able to get hold of a new batch. This is indicated by the different expected delivery times they have.

yurinka

I thought VGchartz was banned. These guys always had Sony console sales numbers way under the announced numbers, while in MS and Nintendo were above the shipped units during years. But this guess estimation seems to make sense.

It seems that MS has better supply than Sony. At least I can see the XSX and XSS always available for purchase but with different delivering dates indicating a steady supply from Microsoft.
We have the MS number for UK and even if it's better than previous MS consoles, it's under the PS4 number. Sony said they planned to have a larger shipment for PS5 than for PS4 at least for the fiscal year that ends this March (this means the biggest console launch in gaming history), and that they had more preorders than in PS4. So I bet the supply will be bigger in Sony side both worldwide and per country everywhere with maybe -and only maybe- USA or maybe Mexico as exception.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
What retailers have them on shelves? 😂 dude that doesn’t even make sense if retailers had them just sitting there it wouldn’t be sold out no?
Don't know what's so funny. There have been quite a few pictures of the Series S units sitting on shelves. Don't know maybe that's just outside the USA.

Last edited:
I think this numbers are accurate. It's really hard for xbox to generate buzz these days without riding on Playstation brand popularity.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Am i missing something here, are these bad numbers or something?.
You’re missing out on being a team blue fanboy!

You get to use fake, made up numbers to talk shit about a console you’ll never own, that couldn’t possibly have sold more since it sold every console that was made.

Last edited:
After all xbox fans get hold of a xsx, all indications show they are gonna struggle again. Its been alll about the ps5, everyone is talking about it, hell even girls are talking about getting a ps5 for their partners lol.

Xbox messed up a few things, first the silly name lol, why didn't they just call it xbox 5 and 5s.

No games, they should have a worthwhile game at launch.

Price, why is ps5 £100 cheaper lol. get a disk free xsx out asap fools.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

What retailers have them on shelves? 😂 dude that doesn’t even make sense if retailers had them just sitting there it wouldn’t be sold out no?

I got an xbox one at launch no problem plenty of units there in 2013. In 2020 i preordered in September the series X and still haven't got it. I live in the Europe region.

I know i lot of people who did not get on launch day. The series is definitely selling out like hotcakes. The series s you probably find some units still for sale.

I got an xbox one at launch no problem plenty of units there in 2013. In 2020 i preordered in September the series X and still haven't got it. I live in the Europe region.

I know i lot of people who did not get on launch day. The series is definitely selling out like hotcakes. The series s you probably find some units still for sale.

I am still waiting for the preorder I placed at Amazon.es back in September. Most of the retailers have made a mess of this launch, there are many people in Spain who got preorders at Amazon, Microsoft Store, Mediamarkt, Worten, ECI, Fnac, Carrefour,.. and the still haven’t received it, actually you can’t find at any store, in any town.

I don’t know if MS understimated the hunger for next-gen consoles, but this time is really sold out in Spain.

Next week is going to be fun, I just hope I’m luckier this time with my PS5 preorder at Amazon

Old Empire.

I am still waiting for the preorder I placed at Amazon.es back in September. Most of the retailers have made a mess of this launch, there are many people in Spain who got preorders at Amazon, Microsoft Store, Mediamarkt, Worten, ECI, Fnac, Carrefour,.. and the still haven’t received it, actually you can’t find at any store, in any town.

I don’t know if MS understimated the hunger for next-gen consoles, but this time is really sold out in Spain.

Next week is going to be fun, I just hope I’m luckier this time with my PS5 preorder at Amazon

I think they did underestimate. I shopped around online to get one in Europe and have had no luck. I can pick up an Series S but i want the X!

VGChartz is pretty fine imo. It's the only thing we got since NPD doesn't release numbers anymore. It's not like they're way off the mark either. At most they overtrack or undertrack by a few 100ks, which when it comes to products sold in the millions of units, is pretty negligible.

Top Bottom