• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X And PS5 Raw Power Is Not As Important As How Devs Will Use It – The Initiative Dev

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
After reading your post I went and checked the AMD Stream processor info, and it turns out AMD's collaboration with Sony on PS4 resulted in the steam processors being wrapped back into the GPU as part of GCN (Async compute AFAIK), so the Zen2 cores are just as inefficient at such workloads as intel i7, PPC at 40-50% because of the branch prediction logic. However, I take your point about the XsX VA probably using ARM or some other ASIC option that is as efficient (+90%) as the IO complex.

What we don't know is what Xbox really means when they say 10% of a Zen2 core. Do they mean 10% of theoretical, or 10% in real work done. If they mean the later, the 50-60% inefficiency of the VA interfacing with a CPU core (to copy to memory) is in fact already factored in - so it means 10/40 or 10/50 20-25% theoretical of a core to get 10% real work done. 760Mhz - 950Mhz used, rather than 380Mhz.

If that is the case, it is a relatively small overhead and if able to evenly split across 8 cores and factored out for the developers by the hypervisor, then it would just mean the XsX CPU cores in SMT disabled mode would be running at 3.7GHz - or maybe at the full amount if Microsoft have clocked the CPU higher than 3.8GHz but opaquely held the extra back for the IO.

There is a possibility that the primary CPU core (that will need SMT mode enabled AFAIK) will need to be used for such a high priority, low latency task, in that case, I wouldn't be expecting the +90% of 6GB/s, but 40-50% of +90% of the 6GB/s., only because whether the 380Mhz-475Mhz gets deducted from the 3.6GHz or as a boost clock on the main core, going above 4GHz on the main core or dropping below 3.2GHz (to partition that performance off) wouldn't seem like a good solution.

I suspect it is the former solution with it an invisible upclock across the 8 cores and XsX getting +90% of the 6GB/s theoretical. I still think all the info we have about the asymmetric access points towards GDDR6 memory contention by the IO decompressor lowering the data width down to 160bits and the bandwidth down to 280GB/s for those transfers.

I'm a little disappointed that Xbox haven't offered more info on the VA and asymmetric memory considering at a glance (IMHO) it looks so unfavourable in real workloads to the simpler IO complex and unifed RAM setup; even just using the Zen2 core of decompression copies presumably adds latency to the IO compared to the dedicated IO complex hardware.
Yeah the asymmetric ram set up was said to be inefficient for bandwidth by a developer before. I wonder why MS chose it

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I agree with not saying anything absolute until we see games side by side, one thing to have the spec sheet advantage, but the delta is pretty darn small.
Like HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 mentioned before, there's a reason why Digital Foundry had to find new techniques to measure frame data and overall console performance. I believe they will be very close 👍

chamber79

Neo Member
Sony's first-party developers have made some games that I thought were not possible this gen. They also developed three great in house engines with the Naughty Dog Engine, Decima Engine, Sucker Punch's Game engine that seem to ring out the power of PS4 so I trust they can do it again for the next-gen.

Freeman

Banned
Power just doesn't matter, just look at the Xbox Series X. Dead already, the best thing it had to show for was RDR2 at higher resolution.

Meanwhile TLoU2 looks nextgen as fuck on the old ass regular PS4.

10 vs 12 TFlops, VRS, RDNAx, whatever, none of this will matter, too fine of details in the gran scheme of things. Cerny ain't dumb, he chose the tools he wanted to do the job and he ain't about to be completely outclassed.

Last edited:

Entroyp

Was the intiative at the xbox conference? I’m expecting great things coming from a studio built from ex Sony employees.

geordiemp

Who cares what rdna this that and whatnot if you're going to try to get your games to run on everything they're going to look shit. What a waste of 12 flops.

uI71BkI.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom