• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X: 20 FPS Boost Games With Lackluster Upgrades

Riky

$MSFT
There isn't a lot more that they do at all, it's the opposite, if the game is stable with the X1X enhancements and double framerate they leave it at that, such as Prey and Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, if it isn't then you get the One S version with double or quadruple frame rates.
You get the choice framerate well in excess of any other console version or the X1X version running at max.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
There isn't a lot more that they do at all, it's the opposite, if the game is stable with the X1X enhancements and double framerate they leave it at that, such as Prey and Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, if it isn't then you get the One S version with double or quadruple frame rates.
You get the choice framerate well one excess of any other console version or the X1X version running at max.
Lawyer GIF by memecandy

MadPanda

Banned
I'm not sure what the "news" is here.. it's always been communicated that FPS Boost titles that are off by default are there because it'll downgrade you from a One X enhancement to the One S version in order to run at 60 or 120 fps. Sharing a list of those titles saying they're 'lackluster upgrades' sounds like bait.

Games Featuring FPS Boost - Xbox's Major Nelson

That's not entirely true as some games don't have major downgrades and as a result they have fps boots on as a default, but some are downgraded so it's set to off as a default.

Esppiral

It's been known forever that the on/off is to disable the One X upgrades.
That's actually not quite true.

Some games do indeed lower the resolution, but there are others like Shadow of the Tomb Raider that keeps the Xbox One X enhancements while boosting the frame rate

elliot5

That's not entirely true as some games don't have major downgrades and as a result they have fps boots on as a default, but some are downgraded so it's set to off as a default.
Reread my comment? I said " it's always been communicated that FPS Boost titles that are off by default..."

Joho79

Dude, I know some people here are very sensitive to their console and the company that owns it.

But that's not me. I have PS5/SeriesX/Gaming PC. I am a gamer. I was excited for this magic FPS Boost. But learning something about how it works and putting it on a forum shouldn't be thought of as trolling.

I actually thought MS, just unlocked the fps lock. I thought that is how powerful next gen was. Forgive me for being so optimistic about next gen.
Cool, but threads like this seems to pop up pretty frequently. A seemingly good feature gets a spin or two and suddenly ends up bad. I just don’t get those people trying so hard to downplay.
If that wasn’t your intention I’m sorry! 😘

SomeGit

I think they should add another option for the FPS Boost titles, like On with Forced XB1X support, On with optimized settings (either 1S or 1X depending on title) and Off.
I understand why they default to 1S in some cases, but I don't mind unstable framerates on 60+FPS/120FPS titles and especially with a good VRR monitor it's almost unnoticeable to me.

Like I wouldn't mind unstable 120 and 4K for Titanfall 2.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Dude, I know some people here are very sensitive to their console and the company that owns it.

But that's not me. I have PS5/SeriesX/Gaming PC. I am a gamer. I was excited for this magic FPS Boost. But learning something about how it works and putting it on a forum shouldn't be thought of as trolling.

I actually thought MS, just unlocked the fps lock. I thought that is how powerful next gen was. Forgive me for being so optimistic about next gen.

There is a post on here somewhere that explains how its done, its done at the hardware level and not software level as no game code is changed.

Allandor

I was told that frame rate is king? What changed?
Plus, you can disable it if you want
On the contrary, you must enable it if it lowers resolution. In those titles it is disabled by default so even less to debate. But I guess for many people (like the one that wrote that article), having the option is a negativ thing ;)

https://techraptor.net/gaming/features/xbox-series-x-fps-boost-games-lackluster-upgrades

I don't know what I was thinking, I thought FPS boost was them just doing some magic to unlock the 30 FPS lock at a hardware level without needing to change any thing else. If this list is true, I guess there is a lot more that they do and analyze what they need to take away to get that FPS boost.

I can see why they give you the options to turn on/off the FPS boost.

Was going to give "Dishonored: Death of The Outsider" a go this weekend, but the sacrifice listed is a bummer.

Funny enough, that articles only concentrates on the negatives. But there are many titles that just play better without any side effects.

Problem with FPS boost is always, even if you have double the GPU and CPU power, you still don't have double the memory bandwidth. The xbox one x was just a monster in memory bandwidth. As this isn't doubled, titles that really use the bandwidth just can't run stable at this framerate.
Another future option might be, to let us enable FPS boost together with VRR to get a stable image (if the TV supports it).

Last edited:

SomeGit

Funny enough, that articles only concentrates on the negatives. But there are many titles that just play better without any side effects.
Yes, only 20 of the 97 titles revert to XB1S settings. And of those 20, 8 are already 60 FPS games that are boosted to 120.
The only real issue to me are the ones that are only 1080-900p/60 or 4kish/30, I'd rather play the 60fps version but I can see some ignoring it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

On the contrary, you must enable it if it lowers resolution. In those titles it is disabled by default so even less to debate. But I guess for many people (like the one that wrote that article), having the option is a negativ thing ;)

I think its silly to be negative at all really. FPSBoost is a free thing, that they didnt have to do. Its silly to maon really.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Yes, only 20 of the 97 titles revert to XB1S settings. And of those 20, 8 are already 60 FPS games that are boosted to 120.
The only real issue to me are the ones that are only 1080-900p/60 or 4kish/30, I'd rather play the 60fps version but I can see some ignoring it.
I didnt realize it was only 20 out of 97 that reverts to XB1 settings. Not bad at all.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
/Thread

SpokkX

This is idiotic whining

this is about DOUBLING framerate - without code changes. It is tech that has never been done before - bleeding edge stuff really

oh and

1. framerate is king - it reduces input lag and makes everything PLAY better
2. What did you think? Everything has a price. Dont use it and play your high res laggy 30fps game

Allandor

What? Really? I never heard of this. Interesting.
Easy rule: If FPS boost harms image quality, it is disabled by default and can be enabled by the user. The games have no ingame options to choose other resolutions or disable enhancements. So it means the only fallback to get those games to run better is the XB1 version.
It is enabled by default if it just boosting the game without any negative side-effects.

It would be much better, if developers would just implement a simple config-file-patch that most games should have ;)

Last edited:

Banned

I explained this many a times on this forum, and everyone who'd think about the settings for many of the games that get patched would also instantly know why some of them lose theri One X settings when using FPS Boost.

but on this forum (or the internet in general) you can't assume that people use their brain or have even the slightest knowledge about the theme of discussion...

so I shall once again explain it:

One X games almost always had a dynamic resolution... that dynamic resolution would often go up to 4K, or in the case of Titanfall 2 even up to 6k or higher (we know at leasr 6K because the devs gave it as an example of a resolution the game could reach on One X in very undemanding scenes)

now then, when does this dynamic resolution go below the max resolution? well of course when the framerate goes below the target framerate of the game... so 60fps or 30fps depending on the game.

this often resulted in games running, on average, way below the max target resolution. Titanfall 2 can reach 6K, but in reality in 90% of the cases it will run more or less at around 1500p, WAY below the max resolution target

when FPS boost is active, a game like Titanfall 2 will target 120fps now... the dynamic resolution is programmed to only go below the max res (6K) once it goes below 60fps tho!
so with the One X version the game would try to run at 6K resolution until it drops below 60fps... do you see the issue yet?

the One X would run the game at around 1500p, so the Series X should be able to also run it at around 1500p at 2x the framerate. but because the dynamic res tops out at 6K the Series X would always scale up to that until it drops below 60fps, meaning a 120fps mode with that scaling acrive would only ever reach 60fps or maybe slightly above 60fps in undemanding scenes, due to the dynamic resolution being so high and way above what the game actually ran at on One X.

I hope this wall of text.makes at least some sense

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Easy rule: If FPS boost harms image quality, it is disabled by default and can be enabled by the user. The games have no ingame options to choose other resolutions or disable enhancements. So it means the only fallback to get those games to run better is the XB1 version.
It is enabled by default if it just boosting the game without any negative side-effects.

It would be much better, if developers would just implement a simple config-file-patch that most games should have ;)

But how would a console gamer use that simple config file patch? It's not the same like a PC.

Banned
I won't say I follow get what you wrote. Maybe 2/3rd of it.

When This Gen was announced, I got myself ready. I bought a 4K HDR TV with 2.1 HDMI and VRR.

The VRR did wonders to my PC gaming. When I first heard about FPS Boost and mistakenly assumed all they did was unlock the framerate, I thought perfect. This is exactly what I do for my PC gaming. Unlocked framerate with my VRR and everything will be smooth as butter. With the article and your explanation, I am realized now I didn't know how FPS Boost worked at all.

well for some games they do exactly that. it's just some of the games (all of the ones running dynamic res for example) need to be set to One S settings, exactly because of what I described.

the dynamic resolution is programmed to go down when it goes below the framerate target of the One X, and if you double the framerate target but you don't change the target at which the dynamic resolution scales down, you will have terrible performance

some of the games that get set to One S settings don't make much sense at first glance tho, like FarCry 5. that game does not have a dynamic resolution, or at least not that anyone noticed.

what could be the case tho is that it has other things that scale up an down depending on load

for example Forza 7 does not have a dynamic resolution, it runs at native 4K at a perfectly locked 60fps on One X
so, you could fps boost it to run at 4K120fps right? well no...
because even tho the resolution doesn't scale down when it is about to drop below 60fps, other things DO scale down.
in the case of Forza 7, the first thing that scales dynamically is the Antialiasing.

Forza 7 uses MSAA, a very expensive form of Antialiasing, it uses 4x MSAA... which on modern games is actually kinda ridiculously expensive.
but, under load it can dynamically change that setting. it will drop down to 2x MSAA or even MSAA off should the engine be under too much load.

after the MSAA settings other settings will dynamically go down, like LOD settings for rival cars or particle resolution etc.

so maybe, FarCry 5 does this too but noone actually noticed it. noticing MSAA settings change is easy, it affects the whole screen, but if FarCry 5 for example only scales down draw distance or LOD settings in stressful scenes, that's hard to notice if you don't know it's there.

we only know all the things Forza 7 scales on One X because the devs are very upfront about it (and because on PC you can use dynamic settings too)

so basically, if a game has absolutely no dynamic settings that scale up and down in order to keep the target framerate, then it should have no issue running at 2X framerate on Series X. if they do have dynamic settings like a dynamic resolution, then the game would need a patch to tell it to scale when gping below the FPS Boost framerate target.

Respawn could patch Titanfall 2 themselves and it would run at 120fps at One X settings no problem.

what's great about FPS boost is that developers don't have to patch anything, but that comes with the limitations you see in action... not every game is optimised for the higher fps target and not every engine will play well with manipulating direct x settings

now, if Microsoft could find a way to basically lie to the game, tell the game that it dropped down to 59fps when in reality it dropped to 118fpa, so that it starts scaling down dynamic settings, then most of the games that currently have to run at One S settings wouldn't need to do that anymore.
the question is if they can somehow do that, if they can trick the game to think it drops below 60fps when in reality it is well above it... and do that only by injecting code into the Direct X instructions

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
But I heard that 60fps, 120fps were the real next gen features......

Seems like a non-issue to me. Don't use it if you don't like the differences/changes?!

Ahh Hell, what am I saying....

Episode 2 Riot GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:
Lackluster upgrades, yeah sure. What other device in console space can do this without patching the original game?
One -> one X
PS4 -> PS4 Pro (with boost mode)

PS5 does it too, just not at the same scale. Plus, Sony actually has games to sell, so their marketing is busy with promoting those.

It doesn't seem like a big deal either way.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One -> one X
PS4 -> PS4 Pro (with boost mode)

PS5 does it too, just not at the same scale. Plus, Sony actually has games to sell, so their marketing is busy with promoting those.

It doesn't seem like a big deal either way.
No it's not but it's nice feature to have

Top Bottom