• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S / Lockhart Details To Be Revealed Soon; Console Will Be Priced At Around $300 – Rumor

I think a $300 box would do pretty well especially with the climate it’s releasing into.

Even if the Tflops match that of the Xbox One X it will still perform better due to Ryzen/RDNA2 and not being gimped by the shit Jaguar CPU.

I think a 1440p/60 console is a possibility especially when you factor in console optimization especially on first party titles. Gears 5 runs at 4K/60 I believe on X, and Horizon 4 is a 1080/60 or 4K/40 game on X and they both look great. Also it’s probably sacrilege to some people around here especially PC players but the difference between 1440 and 2160 isn’t that noticeable to me unless it’s a static scene. I can’t tell a difference between Pro and X versions without looking for them in like Digital Foundry comparisons. Now playing on a tv with up scaling is a different story from a pc monitor though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think a $300 box would do pretty well especially with the climate it’s releasing into.

Even if the Tflops match that of the Xbox One X it will still perform better due to Ryzen/RDNA2 and not being gimped by the shit Jaguar CPU.

I think a 1440p/60 console is a possibility especially when you factor in console optimization especially on first party titles. Gears 5 runs at 4K/60 I believe on X, and Horizon 4 is a 1080/60 or 4K/40 game on X and they both look great. Also it’s probably sacrilege to some people around here especially PC players but the difference between 1440 and 2160 isn’t that noticeable to me unless it’s a static scene. I can’t tell a difference between Pro and X versions without looking for them in like Digital Foundry comparisons. Now playing on a tv with up scaling is a different story from a pc monitor though.

I can't see how you'd get the same CPU speed on the XSX but at $200 cheaper.

I can't see how you'd get the same CPU speed on the XSX but at $200 cheaper.
Even if it’s not the same clock speeds it still gets huge improvements to performance simply but not having a Jaguar processor. A 6Tf Series S will perform better then a 6Tf One X by virtue of better architecture. The GPU side will be a good amount of the cost of a console. A 6Tf Series S would still perform quite well at 1080/1440p, and could still if anything perform like the X does right now.

Then let’s say the Series S is a discless console and smaller in size. You have a system that locks people into a digital storefront, and could be marketing with Game Pass in mind (remember consoles are often sold at a loss because games and services make up for it). Then you have a bunch of small things that add up especially over time. Smaller box means less manufacturing of materials, less packaging, less shelf space in stores which the manufacturer doesn’t need to pay for, and if you cut the Ultra Hd bluray you have more cost saved per console.

Last edited:

Senua

tenor.gif

mckmas8808

Even if it’s not the same clock speeds it still gets huge improvements to performance simply but not having a Jaguar processor. A 6Tf Series S will perform better then a 6Tf One X by virtue of better architecture. The GPU side will be a good amount of the cost of a console. A 6Tf Series S would still perform quite well at 1080/1440p, and could still if anything perform like the X does right now.

Then let’s say the Series S is a discless console and smaller in size. You have a system that locks people into a digital storefront, and could be marketing with Game Pass in mind (remember consoles are often sold at a loss because games and services make up for it). Then you have a bunch of small things that add up especially over time. Smaller box means less manufacturing of materials, less packaging, less shelf space in stores which the manufacturer doesn’t need to pay for, and if you cut the Ultra Hd bluray you have more cost saved per console.

While all of this is true, I don't think it'll be enough savings to prove to the execs at MS to sell the console for $200 less than the XSX.

DaGwaphics

Why? Because folks like me will buy it.

I can get a XSS for 299$, plug it to my 1080P screen and play a bunch of games through Gamepass? Sounds like money in the bank.

I agree. It isn't necessarily about how it compares to PS5 pricing, even with PS5 at $399. Some will still choose to save that $100, just like they do in the PC market where a notably better product is always available for just $100 more. Some people are cheap. Plus, MS globally is distant to Sony, having a low-cost option as a secondary system to PS5 and potentially getting some GP subscribers from Sony's tent isn't a bad thing, especially in markets outside the US/UK where they don't compete well.

I'm thinking about buying it too, but I wish I didn't have the option to. I want a strong MS next-gen with no anchors on their feet. This will hold them back. Mark my words!

The larger the user base the more subscribers they can get. For GP in particular, nothing could be more freeing to MGS than building software with no specific sales targets to hit.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I agree. It isn't necessarily about how it compares to PS5 pricing, even with PS5 at $399. Some will still choose to save that $100, just like they do in the PC market where a notably better product is always available for just $100 more. Some people are cheap. Plus, MS globally is distant to Sony, having a low-cost option as a secondary system to PS5 and potentially getting some GP subscribers from Sony's tent isn't a bad thing, especially in markets outside the US/UK where they don't compete well.

Western media and Xbox fans are too fixated on 360 era Xbox brand. It’s one out of three generations, it’s the exception to the rule. MS understands this, and on top of that they have no real market momentum.

DaGwaphics

Western media and Xbox fans are too fixated on 360 era Xbox brand. It’s one out of three generations, it’s the exception to the rule. MS understands this, and on top of that they have no real market momentum.

Maybe true, but the Xbox brand is still very strong in the US. I would say that users on forums like this underestimate the Xbox brand in the US/UK more than they overestimate it. In the US the sales numbers between PS4 and X1 haven't been that out of line, PS4 wins, but not by nearly as much as people think. With that said, the X1 is likely out of production already or some other supply issue is happening that is really lowering sales this year. X1 systems are barely available at large retailers and have been sold out more than PS4 during the pandemic, but sales estimates have been anemic. Even the standard white/black x1 controllers are nonexistent at retail at this point.

Ten_Fold

A $299 entry level next gen is a good idea, it’s like the Xbox 360 arcade and series S. With that being said IF the price is $299 for the lockheart then the XSX is probably gonna be $499. Now the only way I can see the XSX being $399 is of the lockheart is $199/$249.

Mypmarlo

Banned
A $299 entry level next gen is a good idea, it’s like the Xbox 360 arcade and series S. With that being said IF the price is $299 for the lockheart then the XSX is probably gonna be $499. Now the only way I can see the XSX being $399 is of the lockheart is $199/$249.
That is probably not gonna happen... But if that was the price, MS won the race day 0

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well, shit, the XB1S is $300 right now and I've been considering picking up one. If the next-gen equivalent is gonna be the same price I may as well wait.

If this actually releases, Series X is a dead duck

I agree on this, however it is not quite clear cut. It could potentially kill off both of their consoles as consumers won't know what to buy and will just get the PS5. I think the PS5 will stretch Sony's lead because they have a great balance between power and affordability. I do believe the console will be £450 at launch, which would be amazing if you consider the tech. The main strength is the launch exclusive line up and Sony only need to re-release the last of us 2 and ghost of tsushima to get people to buy their console at launch.

Going back to lockhart, the perception will be that of a half next gen console and there always has to be a balance between price and brand perception. If Nintendo were releasing a console with specs similar to Lockhart, they wouldn't have a problem selling it for £350, but Microsoft don't have the brand and the Series X will always be the main console. If Microsoft put lockhart up against PS5 they will lose.

mckmas8808

That is probably not gonna happen... But if that was the price, MS won the race day 0

By losing close to $100 per console? How long do you think MS could keep this up? Plus why do you believe MS will be willing to lose this much money put console, but only start it with Lockhart? Why not start losing this type of money with the XBX?

DrAspirino

Banned
By losing close to $100 per console? How long do you think MS could keep this up? Plus why do you believe MS will be willing to lose this much money put console, but only start it with Lockhart? Why not start losing this type of money with the XBX?
What makes you think MS will lose $100 per console? the APU cost? because the APU for the "Series S" device will come from the scraps and "defective" APUs from the wafers. Just take a "defective series X" APU, block the defective CUs and write new microcode for it. Done.

How do you think Intel makes their Celeron, Pentium and even Core i3 line of CPUs? They simply reprogram the discarded ones. xD

Sure they won't put a 1 TB SSD drive on a budget machine, but I can see 512 GB.

Question, does the general consumer even know the One X is 6TF and the Series S is 4TF, based on rumors of course. If they do know, how they'll tackle messaging with that.

mckmas8808

What makes you think MS will lose $100 per console? the APU cost? because the APU for the "Series S" device will come from the scraps and "defective" APUs from the wafers. Just take a "defective series X" APU, block the defective CUs and write new microcode for it. Done.

How do you think Intel makes their Celeron, Pentium and even Core i3 line of CPUs? They simply reprogram the discarded ones. xD

Sure they won't put a 1 TB SSD drive on a budget machine, but I can see 512 GB.

I'm including the cost to ship the console, the retailers cut, and also the cost of needs two different forms on manufacturing for different sized consoles.

Question, does the general consumer even know the One X is 6TF and the Series S is 4TF, based on rumors of course. If they do know, how they'll tackle messaging with that.
The general consumer has no idea what any of it means, what they do know is that they see the Series X is more powerful then PS5 for example but if you got into details you’d lose them quickly.

Honestly in some ways I’m envious of them because they will base it completely off of cost while I’m over here trying to figure out a cost/performance ratio, and watching countless benchmarks for GPUs and CPUs and constantly second guessing myself on purchases.

Like when I was a kid, I was oblivious to most of this stuff, and I enjoyed games way more and was fine with having a single console, and the limited games I was able to have. Now I have terrible FOMO, and a huge backlog

Interesting how Microsoft keeps landing in 'messaging' issues while I don't see the same issue with other gaming companies. Maybe this is pointing at the guy at the top ===> Phil Spencer.

Interesting how Microsoft keeps landing in 'messaging' issues while I don't see the same issue with other gaming companies. Maybe this is pointing at the guy at the top ===> Phil Spencer.
True, for the most part I think Xbox has had great messaging and marketing. I've always enjoyed their marketing. I thought that "Jump in" campaign was pretty great.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

If they know what a teraflops is they will be able to figure it out.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm including the cost to ship the console, the retailers cut, and also the cost of needs two different forms on manufacturing for different sized consoles.

Cost to ship would likely be considerably less as the box, form factor, weight will all be much lower and smaller decreasing the cost of shipping. Can fit far more on a pallet and cheaper to ship since it will weigh less.

Retailers cut on hardware is usually not a lot. It's the accessories where the money is made and the accessories for both the S and the X will be the same.

Manufacturing process of the physical shell won't be any more expensive and will likely be less as you won't need as expensive components for cooling, frame rigidness etc.

Having two things on an assembly line won't cost them anymore than 1.

There's nothing to indicate they will take a loss.

Last edited:
The general consumer has no idea what any of it means, what they do know is that they see the Series X is more powerful then PS5 for example but if you got into details you’d lose them quickly.

Honestly in some ways I’m envious of them because they will base it completely off of cost while I’m over here trying to figure out a cost/performance ratio, and watching countless benchmarks for GPUs and CPUs and constantly second guessing myself on purchases.

Like when I was a kid, I was oblivious to most of this stuff, and I enjoyed games way more and was fine with having a single console, and the limited games I was able to have. Now I have terrible FOMO, and a huge backlog
Sorry to hear that man. My biggest issue is staying focused and seeing a game through to the end. Work and life are usually the things that get in the way for me. I've been a single console player for a long time now, mostly because I haven't had enough time to really sit and play more than one console at a time. But, that's changing. I might pick up a PS5 and a Series X this gen, depending on how those Xbox studios do. But, I have high hopes that those studios will push out some good stuff. They acquired some good studios.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I'm not too sure. Lockhart will presumably be aimed at the very casual market like parents buying for little 8 year old Johnny that have no idea how to set-up or deal with Xbox Live/Gamepass or just prefer discs?

But lets see what gets announced.
Its not 1995 anymore. Those parents are rare. Im 42 years old and grew up with game consoles. There are a fair amount of gaming parents that are informed about games.

Last edited:
Its not 1995 anymore. Those parents are rare. Im 42 years old and grew up with game consoles. There are a fair amount of gaming parents that are informed about games.
Also, I think people under estimate these kids. Most of these kids have a smart phone and ALL of these kids have access to the internet. They're a lot more aware than people give them credit for, i think. If I had a smart phone when I was a kid do you know how much bigger of a shit head and smart ass I'd be?!?! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

justjohn

They’ve got unlimited money, remember. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
APU, RAM, SSD, and BD are the majority of the production cost of next gen consoles, so get rid of BD that's already about 50$ saved, cut the SSD capacity by half, that's another 40-60, 8-12GB RAM, that's another 30-50 saved, smaller APU (GPU), and what comes along with it smaller PSU, smaller cooler, smaller case, those are further savings. I mean, we already have a 250$ XB SAD and 500& XB 1X, so I cannot understand why they couldn't use the same measures to achieve the same exact effect?

Kumomeme

if it true..i wonder what happened when both companies released midgen refreshes..pro version for ps5 and x1x like version for xsx
for ps5 there 2 sku (base console and enhanced base console) that devs need to optimized for, while for xbox there 3 sku ( lower performance console, base console, enhanced base console)

i worry there will be more optimization task for devs...i heard it even harder for smaller developers....there even already lot of mixed response at first for this gens....and dont forget, lot of game devs still dont bother release enhancement patch for midgen refresh version, wasted additional power and for next gen xbox there will be additional 2 version, lower and upper tier...i not even suprised if there situation where devs only end up care for 1 version and left the another one..upscaled is easier than downscale...people might come argue with common 'magic slider' that dx12 gonna provide but i doubt it will be that simple..there still tons of work to be done by devs other than performance related stuff...there also question how the lower version gonna perform at mid or end of gen

i just hope next gen will be smooth, less frustration for devs and nobody get held back

saintjules

If Lockhart will be discless Microsoft can afford bigger hit per console since customers will be locked into buying digital games (bigger margin) or using GamePass

I think going discless will alienate alot of users looking for a cheap way into next-gen. Most still do buy and have a collection of physical games. It's now telling them that they'll have to either keep their current gen system or buy the more expensive Series X to play said physical copies. I don't know, just thoughts.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
This seems so close to an Xbox One X I can't see any real reason for it to exist outside of marketing.
Yes, the ability to market a low priced sku to casual masses (the majority of the population) is the reason this thing exists. A $100.00(+?) price delta is huge to many consumers, especially considering most don't even know what 4K60 means. This conversation is going to happen a lot:
Mom: Does it play the same games?
Clerk: Yes, but in a lower resolution of 1080p instead of 4K.
Mom: O, that's fine, we don't have a 4K TV anyway. I'll take the Series S.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I just wonder who/where is the mass market a lower price/power SKU would be aimed at? It doesn't seem to exist for home consoles now. There are us in our 40's or older who grew up on games and will get the higher priced XSX and some will pick-up an additional Lockhart for the bedroom/den. Then there are the casual (but quite informed) mass market that presumably are currently happy with mobile gaming, the Switch or no gaming at all.

Then again the continued silence around Lockhart makes wonder what Microsoft plan to do with it.

If xbox lockhart is 300 dollars and PS5 is 500 dollars, I can say safely that Xbox Series will outsell PS5 in NA and UK easily.

PS5 will be 600 dollars total when you include taxes and online membership. This is without games mind you.
Xbox lockhart will be at 400 dollars with online membership, taxes and game pass with hundreds of games ready to go.

It isn't too hard to see which platform will sell more if this is the case in those regions.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
People asking is MS or Sony for that matter, willing to lose $100 per console arent asking the right question. The question is will that console make up that $100 and then some. They dont intend to lose ANY money on any console. Either company.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I just wonder who/where is the mass market a lower price/power SKU would be aimed at? It doesn't seem to exist for home consoles now. There are us in our 40's or older who grew up on games and will get the higher priced XSX and some will pick-up an additional Lockhart for the bedroom/den. Then there are the casual (but quite informed) mass market that presumably are currently happy with mobile gaming, the Switch or no gaming at all.

Then again the continued silence around Lockhart makes wonder what Microsoft plan to do with it.
My guess is it plays next Gen Xbox games at 1080p and optimized for Xcloud. I really see the machine tightly coupled with GamePass and Xcloud. I like the idea of Lockhart being a dockable mobile device that ships with a one year GamePass sub.

Top Bottom