• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S is pretty dang cool

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Hmm......how old are you if I may ask ?
Old enough to wait 8 weeks for living room lamps that are hand made because I like the design and I refuse to be surrounded by ugly things. Which I know almost everyone has no problems with, but that’s on them.

Rickyiez

I don't have one but I can imagine it will be a great value and complement to my living room just in case I got too soured gaming on my PC desk .

Haven't had an Xbox since the OG 360. I say that if you: 1) don't care about having PEAK performance on the best TVs nowadays, 2) Subscribe to GamePass and, 3) Don't have any Xbox OG/360/One discs in your collection, then the XSS is a beautiful console that you should consider.

You'll probably need an external hard drive but that's only for OG/360/One games and they load up perfectly without issue.

The digital marketplace offers games like Lost Odyssey, Asura's Wrath, and Red Dead Redemption, all of which haven't been ported to PC/modern consoles. Even if it can't play old discs, there's still an option. Many of the games are $10-$20 and go on sale frequently.

I'm definitely going all in for a PS5 (I have a huge PS4 collection), but if you're like me and don't F5 on webpages whenever they're available, the XSS (with GamePass) will definitely tide you over til the inevitable PS5 redesign in 2023/2024.

Utherellus

That’s not paying off - it’s available due to soft demand. MS sells every Series X it ships worldwide, and that manufacturing capability could have been servicing the rabid demand from enthusiasts eager for a next gen console. Instead the S sits around (was even discounted to $280 USD in Oz) whilst Sony steadily grows the base for the PS5.
ZdtL36f.jpg

We argue, meanwhile MS ships consoles like crazy this holiday.

This chart is absolutely Series S fault.

Series X chips go to Xcloud.
PS5 demand is all time high.

Meanwhile Series S meets the holiday demand for next-gen, AVAILABLE console.

So I also would like to name this as "paid off"

Last edited:

reksveks

ZdtL36f.jpg

We argue, meanwhile MS ships consoles like crazy this holiday.

This chart is absolutely Series S fault.

Series X chips go to Xcloud.
PS5 demand is all time high.

Meanwhile Series S meets the holiday demand for next-gen, AVAILABLE console.

So I also would like to name this as "paid off"
Vgchartz.... I get that we want data but Vgchartz has consistently proving itself to have a faulty methodology

DragonNCM

Old enough to wait 8 weeks for living room lamps that are hand made because I like the design and I refuse to be surrounded by ugly things. Which I know almost everyone has no problems with, but that’s on them.
Same problem as me then, I'm 48 and all my house is in black and wood and there it is......fucking white agly monster PS5 & white XSS.....
Thanks god I left space behind my tv so I can hide them 😅

Banjo64

cumsessed
Haven't had an Xbox since the OG 360. I say that if you: 1) don't care about having PEAK performance on the best TVs nowadays, 2) Subscribe to GamePass and, 3) Don't have any Xbox OG/360/One discs in your collection, then the XSS is a beautiful console that you should consider.

You'll probably need an external hard drive but that's only for OG/360/One games and they load up perfectly without issue.

The digital marketplace offers games like Lost Odyssey, Asura's Wrath, and Red Dead Redemption, all of which haven't been ported to PC/modern consoles. Even if it can't play old discs, there's still an option. Many of the games are $10-$20 and go on sale frequently.

I'm definitely going all in for a PS5 (I have a huge PS4 collection), but if you're like me and don't F5 on webpages whenever they're available, the XSS (with GamePass) will definitely tide you over til the inevitable PS5 redesign in 2023/2024.
Pretty crazy that Red Dead 1 is basically an Xbox exclusive now unless you have a PS3 hooked up.

Love the console. only thing I hate is it's all digital obviously and I missed out on some great BF sales. Guardians was 25 everywhere..............38 on xbox..

But yeah,The series S and game pass is an amazing combo!. Now to save up for a ps5 one day and be set.
You want to save money on many games? Try here, maybe you can find an argentinian gifter via Discord, otherwise you can often get decent prices with brazilian gift cards:

DragonNCM

You want to save money on many games? Try here, maybe you can find an argentinian gifter via Discord, otherwise you can often get decent prices with brazilian gift cards:
Brazilian acc saved me a lot of money + gamepass ultimate is 10$ per month & game price conversion in Brazilian real is damn nuc.
On G2A site 200brl is 36.12$ https://www.g2a.com/xbox-live-gift-card-200-brl-xbox-live-key-brazil-i10000070181026

Last edited:

Drew1440

It's a nice small form factor console, but the lack of disc drive puts off considering I have a sizable amount of physical 360 games. Also going from a One X to a Series S means loosing 4K support, unless I keep both.
It's really desinged around gamepass, So if you had a gamepass sub and wanted a second console in another room that would mirror your existing gamepess library, then its the ideal console.

Brazilian acc saved me a lot of money + gamepass ultimate is 10$ per month & game price conversion in Brazilian real is damn nuc.
You don't even need an brazilian account for the games, you can redeem any games to your prefered account, no matter from what country..

SkylineRKR

Pretty crazy that Red Dead 1 is basically an Xbox exclusive now unless you have a PS3 hooked up.

Essentially many games from that gen. Its sad how Sony, with such a rich portfolio and history, simply cut ties with their past. All those PS1 classics, digital PS3 games I own like RR7, Daytona etc. All gone unless I go out and score a PS3 with all its downsides. Yet its possible to play RR6, Dead Space, MGS collection (its temporarily removed though) and all on Xbox. Right now i'm playing Revengeance on it.

Stuart360

Even though XSS sems to be doing very well for itself, anyone else think Microsoft should of included a year of Gamepass too?.
It would make it a Gamepass box basically, and a perfect side companion console for other console owners.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ive ended up ordering two of these for Xmas for my 15 year old son and my 9 year old. I think it will be perfect for them. The 15 year old is coming from a one X and I will get him a series X or whatever is available ina few years, but for now I think he will be fine with the high FPS little beast!

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I am really considering selling my Switch and adding a little bit extra to get a Series S which I have GP Ultimate for till summer 2023.

I don’t have time for long games anymore, I would much rather dip a little bit in a Gamepass game and leave it behind no regrets than force myself to play a game for 40hrs that should have been 10.

I don’t care for physical medium, I am very picky with all physical objects - book series are always in the same series and art design, otherwise I do not buy them. I would not stand a view of endless pieces of game cases all with different design and colours.

Last edited:

JCK75

I mean I went with the Series X but there is no doubt there is a market of people who don't care about 4K who just want to buy a cheap system and play some games.
I think it was smart to give them options.

Great little system. I was lucky enough to score an XSX right after launch but knew that I wanted to upgrade my kids to XSSs in the near future. Well that is going to already be this xmas, both are getting a XSS and they will be good to go for this gen. If the XSS didn't exist they would be on their X1Ss for a much longer time, lol.

kingfey

Banned
I am really considering selling my Switch and adding a little bit extra to get a Series S which I have GP Ultimate for till summer 2023.

I don’t have time for long games anymore, I would much rather dip a little bit in a Gamepass game and leave it behind no regrets than force myself to play a game for 40hrs that should have been 10.

I don’t care for physical medium, I am very picky with all physical objects - book series are always in the same series and art design, otherwise I do not buy them. I would not stand a view of endless pieces of game cases all with different design and colours.
dont sell your switch. Save money for xss. Both system would be good, when you are bored.

DaGwaphics

Even though XSS sems to be doing very well for itself, anyone else think Microsoft should of included a year of Gamepass too?.
It would make it a Gamepass box basically, and a perfect side companion console for other console owners.

I don't know about a year, but I was surprised when a 3mo. card wasn't included with my XSS. You'd think that would be included with every new Xbox by default. 🤷‍♂️

Seems like it would be a great way to encourage users to get started with GP, but maybe their conversions on new consoles are already insanely high and they figure they don't need to do it.

I agree with OP, i have a ps5 also, since launch, i bought the series S for forza/halo/football manager & FS (to play in bed as i play also on pc with ultimate gamepass) The series S is amazing value and with gamepass its just so hard to turn down, nothing negative should be said about it.

Last edited:
The Series S is a cool console in that I'd see one under my living room's OLED for my girlfriend. That said, I'm glad I have a Series X since the best feature of an Xbox console right now, to me, is the backward compatibility, which I heavily abuse due to the amount of physical discs I have from 360 and Xbox One. Having a 4k120 OLED for my mancave only cements the deal for the Series X & PS5.

But I do really like the small form factor of the Series S. I just wish it had a disc tray as well as a bigger SSD. I know, cost cutting & all. Can't have it all. Well you can, but that's Series X price territory. If the Series S as it currently exists was $100 cheaper, I'd definitely buy one though!

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Fair point, but I'm trying to limit their screen time.
you will encourage them more. They could watch shit stuff on youtube, especially when those garbage youtubers are releasing questionable contents.

Try to let them to gaming, and give them clear rules. They will respect you that way, and keep them safe from those shitty youtube videos.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
you will encourage them more. They could watch shit stuff on youtube, especially when those garbage youtubers are releasing questionable contents.

Try to let them to gaming, and give them clear rules. They will respect you that way, and keep them safe from those shitty youtube videos.
I Know GIF by MOODMAN

They are 2 and 4 year olds, but due to my wife our household is Nintendo-free. Let me get C1 55" first, then we will think.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Fair point, but I'm trying to limit their screen time.

just dont do it. They have plenty of time to play games later but only a small time to be kids. Me and my wife fucked up by giving my kids firehd tablets with the kidstime. We wish now that we just didnt do that. They get obsessed.. and quickly moved onto the switch... even limiting screentime it still took alot of away from them just playing and using their imagination.

Deerock71

For all the people that gave Microsoft shit for making the Series S they are all eating crow now. It's a massive success for Microsoft. They can actually get these in stores, unlike the SXS and PS5. Sony should have done something similar instead of, or in addition to, the all digital PS5. Missed opportunity.
I honestly never thought I'd be agreeing with that sentiment until I purchased a Series S myself...BECAUSE I COULD!

Also I think that playstation and series S is very good combination, I would love to play everything in one place but that's not possible so when Microsoft in a year or two starts releasing the good games I will buy one to enjoy them, at the moment they are making very interesting games and if you want to have good fun and enjoy your free time with some awesome games having ps5+series S is the best and most cheap offer. Only exclusive fetishist and console warriors don't understand that.

similar situation as me, i have a switch and series s switch has not been turned on for a few months, kids are on the Xbox nowadays. I like the idea of taking the switch away with us though so may keep it, but seeing the price of them second hand I am tempted to sell. I have a few digital game though which is also making me keep it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought one. I still have a few physical 360 games. Is it possible to play those (that are BC) on the Series S? After all it has no disc drive.

Rodolink

wtf I didn't know you could just download digital versions of old disc games, but doesn't makes much sense, means that if I rented a game from Blockbuster just for the weekend I'll be able to play it again for free??

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
wtf I didn't know you could just download digital versions of old disc games, but doesn't makes much sense, means that if I rented a game from Blockbuster just for the weekend I'll be able to play it again for free??
what is it now? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Like for example, if I have Ridge Racer 6 for the 360 physically, can I then download a digital version and play it on the Series S?

Top Bottom