• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S is More of a Support Console – The Crown of Wu Dev

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
On the one hand, yes that's exactly why I got a Series S, as a secondary console for the living room, since my PS5 is in my game room/home office.

On the other hand, it's totally become the most played console in the house, thanks mostly to the strength of Game Pass as a service. No one has turned on the PS4 in months and the Switch only fares a little better, because my wife and daughter just go straight to Game Pass to look for their next game.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Support for ps4 will eventually drop but we'll be stuck with the series s. Even in all the upcoming "next gen" only titles.
PC gamers reading this:

first time GIF

PC gamers has been held back generations because of consoles.

DragonNCM

On the one hand, yes that's exactly why I got a Series S, as a secondary console for the living room, since my PS5 is in my game room/home office.

On the other hand, it's totally become the most played console in the house, thanks mostly to the strength of Game Pass as a service. No one has turned on the PS4 in months and the Switch only fares a little better, because my wife and daughter just go straight to Game Pass to look for their next game.
Exactly what I did & now Series S is most played console in my house. Kids & their friends don't know shit about 4K & RT & they don't care, they just have fun playing 100 games at same time.

The series S is not build with higher resolutions in mind, but on fullhd TVs picture quality from the series S should look amazing. 1080p in itself isnt the problem, the real problem starts when people connect this console to 4K tv, because upscaling will ruin the picture quality.

rolandss

“Personally I see it more as a support console, for example in our case at home we have a PS5 and a Series S that we use to play Xbox exclusive games or just to enjoy the wonderful Game Pass system. If we want to enjoy more resolution/quality we play on PS5 or PC directly.”

This is exactly why I have one. Bought one second hand in anticipation of Starfield because it’s not coming to PS5. I don’t play a single game on it but will use it for the odd MS exclusive.

DaGwaphics

I'll get a PS5 and use it as a doorstop. You heard it here first guys, PS5 just a doorstop. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Who in the world gives a shit how this dev and his family use their consoles? Honestly, if he cares so much about the image quality, why didn't he spring for a XSX to start off with. Makes it seem as if he would lean towards PS anyway, thus him having a GP sub is a win for MS in this household. The GP sub is already siphoning away the most precious resource away from his PS and its store, and that resource my friend is his time.

ParaSeoul

PC gamers reading this:

first time GIF

Yeah the highest end PC gamers,not your average PC gamer. The PC games that used to set benchmarks graphically were unable to run on most gamers PC lol,just look at crysis back then. If anything most PC gamers want consoles to be underpowered so they don't need to upgrade much. See late 7th gen ports and most of Last gen.

mdkirby

Just gimp the co-op and give it crap graphics. At least it can be released. On the other hand, I have a PS5 as well and it’s my main console so I don’t care so much myself 😁. I understand if they don’t want to butcher their vision and respect their decision, just mentioning nothing is impossible.
Yeah if I recall from the statement they made, it was along the lines of them being unwilling to compromise the quality of the product to be able to release it. Which from a creative integrity point of view is valid, and is also particularly valid given the extreme reaction and sensitivity of gamers since the cyberpunk debacle to games being released in a poor state. You don’t want to be the next poster child for shoddy releases.

ironmang

Impulse bought mine last year and it quickly became my most played console over my Switch and PS5. I don't see the logic in thinking this can't be someone's main console.

Impulse bought mine last year and it quickly became my most played console over my Switch and PS5. I don't see the logic in thinking this can't be someone's main console.

Feels Star Trek GIF

Because it’s illogical. Great for you that you like it a lot, however it is objectively the worst available console compared to ps5/switch/series x/pc.

ironmang

Feels Star Trek GIF

Because it’s illogical. Great for you that you like it a lot, however it is objectively the worst available console compared to ps5/switch/series x/pc.
Series S + GP alone is more than enough for most people. What's so hard to get about that?

I have a Switch and PS5 and barely play either of those. Especially the PS5 that's been collecting dust since I beat Elden Ring last year.

killatopak

PC gamers reading this:

first time GIF

I don’t think that’s exactly the case though one can see it that way when viewed from a certain perspective. It’s probably a bit of consoles being the min spec and the larger userbase in PC being on par or below those same consoles.

Like publishers only feel like it’s a safer bet to increase min spec drastically if they are sure there are enough users with capable enough hardware whether on PC or the new generations of consoles are present.

What I’m saying is you’re not wrong but it’s not the full picture.

jm89

Everyone is so upset because Series S is good.
If only that was true.

Sales = nope, we have the numbers
Graphics/Performance = Don't think so chief, it's not even holding upto what some folks where shouting about it being a 1440p box, maybe that's on the developer or maybe not.....
Developers = Some developers have already have inidicated the challenges with it. Let's see what happends as this gen progresses.

The only thing going for it is price, but sales is showing that isn't as big some thought it was for consumers and again we have the sales to show that.

Last edited:

BreakOut

Does Microsoft have a rule that your game must run on both of these systems? X&S? It really seems like one of those things Microsoft needs to take the L on, and discontinue. A cheaper into system was likely conceived with good intentions I’m sure, but it’s time to let it go now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If only that was true.

Sales = nope, we have the numbers
Graphics/Performance = Don't think so chief, it's not even holding upto what some folks where shouting about it being a 1440p box, maybe that's on the developer or maybe not.....
Developers = Some developers have already have inidicated the challenges with it. Let's see what happends as this gen progresses.

The only thing going for it is price, but sales is showing that isn't as big some though it was for consumers and again we have the sales to show that.
It's only good because my preferred brand of worship made it.

Lemme tell you that the XSX and PS5 are underpowered too (as if that's some weird defense), but then praise the even more inept shitbox.

Fantard mental gymnastics.

DrFigs

Does Microsoft have a rule that your game must run on both of these systems? X&S? It really seems like one of those things Microsoft needs to take the L on, and discontinue. A cheaper into system was likely conceived with good intentions I’m sure, but it’s time to let it go now.
yes. this seems to be the reason why Baldur's gate 3 isn't coming to xbox on launch.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Its a Giant Albatross built for Greed at Gaming Tech's Expense.

This statement gets repeated over and over and over and yet not one of the people who have ever said it seem to be able to resolve the idea that most games have been multiplatform including xbox one, PS$ and minimum spec PC, all of which are lower than the series S.
But you keep repeating this nonsense that's it's the series S that's somehow holding things back.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

It's only good because my preferred brand of worship made it.

Lemme tell you that the XSX and PS5 are underpowered too (as if that's some weird defense), but then praise the even more inept shitbox.

Fantard mental gymnastics.

I love the twisted notion that anyone who disagrees with your particular position on an xbox console is now a "fantard" doing mental gymnastics (including tons of people that own all of the consoles). Sad and pathetic post. Why not troll a different thread?
You can run in there and call people out for having different opinions there too and pretend it's a console war instead like you are doing here, regardless of the reality.

THE DUCK

The series S is not build with higher resolutions in mind, but on fullhd TVs picture quality from the series S should look amazing. 1080p in itself isnt the problem, the real problem starts when people connect this console to 4K tv, because upscaling will ruin the picture quality.

The 4k scalers in modern TV's do just fine. If you have like a 50 or 55" and your 10 feet away you can' t see 4k anyhow (your eyes can't resolve it). Bigger Tv's is where you start to see some of the benefit from 4k and where the more expensive consoles start to flex.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I love the twisted notion that anyone who disagrees with your particular position on an xbox console is now a "fantard" doing mental gymnastics (including tons of people that own all of the consoles). Sad and pathetic post. Why not troll a different thread?
You can run in there and call people out for having different opinions there too and pretend it's a console war instead like you are doing here, regardless of the reality.
All that rambling doesn't change that it's an underpowered system. And if the brands were reversed with these systems, so would most opinions on them. Sorry that hurts you. It'll be okay, I promise.

The 4k scalers in modern TV's do just fine. If you have like a 50 or 55" and your 10 feet away you can' t see 4k anyhow (your eyes can't resolve it). Bigger Tv's is where you start to see some of the benefit from 4k and where the more expensive consoles start to flex.
The IGN meme at the beginning of last gen come to life.

Last edited:
I mean he's not wrong, I love my Series X and am glad more people get to experience Xbox games via the Series S, but I can't imagine anybody actually using the Series S as their primary gaming console, outside of people who can't afford a $500 console or don't have a 4k TV somehow

sendit

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Probably the same science where claims are made that the human eye can't see past 60 FPS. Additionally, the article you linked is discussing optimal viewing conditions. Not if X individual can't see a difference or not. I would also garner that there are more variables to consider than just distance and TV size.

Please, I suppose the earth is flat too and all elections are rigged, and we were never on the moon too. Of course there are more variables than size and distance, what's that have to do with the specific facts on hand regarding resolution?

sendit

Please, I suppose the earth is flat too and all elections are rigged, and we were never on the moon too. Of course there are more variables than size and distance, what's that have to do with the specific facts on hand regarding resolution?

[/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL]
Please don't link a Forbes article. And did you even read the out dated blog for the second link you posted? There are literally people disputing this individuals testing methods.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Please don't link a Forbes article. And did you even read the out dated blog for the second link you posted? There are literally people disputing this individuals testing methods.

I could spend all day linking you a thousand sites and you would deny them all. Enjoy your alternate reality.

The fact is the human eye has limits on what it can see in terms of detail vs distance and size. None of this is "theory", it's fact.

Last edited:

GHG

Some people defending the Series S like it's their first born child or something. Ridiculous.

Not seeing where the controversy is in these statements.

THE DUCK

Some people defending the Series S like it's their first born child or something. Ridiculous.

Not seeing where the controversy is in these statements.

Conversely, some people attacking series S like it killed thier child or something.
Not seeing where the controversy is in the idea that there can be two consoles in a generation similar to cell phones or tv's. You don't see endless posts about how underpowered or crappy mid range phones and mid range tv's are, or that they are "garbage".

Cdbaksul

Neo Member
I sold my OG PS4, bought the Series S for ~30 EUR to connect to my dumb 1080p 42" LG TV. For Starfield (and now Game Pass and everything in it).

Could I upgrade to a 4k TV + a Series X? Sure, but that's half a year's salary in my country.

GHG

Conversely, some people attacking series S like it killed thier child or something.
Not seeing where the controversy is in the idea that there can be two consoles in a generation similar to cell phones or tv's. You don't see endless posts about how underpowered or crappy mid range phones and mid range tv's are, or that they are "garbage".

This isnt an audiovisual or mobile phone enthusiast forum.

Go to avforums or avs and post about how you are proud of a lower end setup and how anything more isn't necessary in one of the most popular sub-forums. Let us know how it goes.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

If you think gamers are snobs you've not seen anything yet.

CGNoire

This statement gets repeated over and over and over and yet not one of the people who have ever said it seem to be able to resolve the idea that most games have been multiplatform including xbox one, PS$ and minimum spec PC, all of which are lower than the series S.
But you keep repeating this nonsense that's it's the series S that's somehow holding things back.
During crossgen yes. Outside crossgen its already dropping down to 540p and its only been 2 years.

THE DUCK

This isnt an audiovisual or mobile phone enthusiast forum.

Go to avforums or avs and post about how you are proud of a lower end setup and how anything more isn't necessary in one of the most popular sub-forums. Let us know how it goes.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

If you think gamers are snobs you've not seen anything yet.

Been around the avs forums enough to know that in a thread about a samsung A series there isn't a bunch of S22/S23 owners running in calling the A series outdated and garbage.
Nor is there samsung 90 tv series owners running to the 70 series thread crapping all over that either. So your point is way off.

Top Bottom