• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S is “An Extremely Capable Machine” – Unity Chief Product Officer

SkylineRKR

I don't understand why the RAM couldn't be the same amount as the older One X. The GPU, its RDNA 2 based. But could be a tad more powerful. It feels the S is slightly overpriced at 299. But make no mistake, even the base PS4 is more expensive here. The S is far more powerful. It also beats the One X in certain games like Yakuza. And the load times, they're near non existent. FH4 is on par with framerate mode on the One X I think, but without loading.

Not one single person who would buy an Xbox series s would want a ps5:de and this $299 is a great price, how hard is that for you to understand? Gamers go where their friends lists go, series s is "the second Xbox" or for the kids rooms where they already have an Xbox one.
Why would someone not just let the kids use the one xbone s/x instead? That seems like a very specific market.

And the price difference between the s and the ps5 de is still worth pointing out (not if you absolutely want only xbox consoles to go along with the Phil posters). But if you buy a console because it's cheaper, you may not have considered that for 100$ more you can get a full next gen experience, probably the premier next gen experience. Add to this that the vast majority of people don't start from an Xbox... Making a cheap console to kae it easier for people who want a second next gen console at the same time as they get their true next gen one, and they want that console to run the exact same games-it seems unlikely to be their reasoning.

I see the S as being logical if you intend to use the machine to run retroarch in developer mode... Probably a small market too (and it doesn't pay very well, since I would not buy xbox games on it)... I'm sure that this is not the market MS is targeting for their machines.

kuncol02

Banned
Why would someone not just let the kids use the one xbone s/x instead?
Because:
1. Experience of using previous generation consoles in absolutely inferior in comparison even to Series S
2. One S\X wourk only with cross gen games so you are using technology soon to become obsolete.

TBiddy

Why would someone not just let the kids use the one xbone s/x instead? That seems like a very specific market.

And the price difference between the s and the ps5 de is still worth pointing out (not if you absolutely want only xbox consoles to go along with the Phil posters). But if you buy a console because it's cheaper, you may not have considered that for 100$ more you can get a full next gen experience, probably the premier next gen experience. Add to this that the vast majority of people don't start from an Xbox... Making a cheap console to kae it easier for people who want a second next gen console at the same time as they get their true next gen one, and they want that console to run the exact same games-it seems unlikely to be their reasoning.

I see the S as being logical if you intend to use the machine to run retroarch in developer mode... Probably a small market too (and it doesn't pay very well, since I would not buy xbox games on it)... I'm sure that this is not the market MS is targeting for their machines.

I like how you start out with what seems like a valid question, only to go full warrior blabbering about "Phil posters".

In case you were actually serious - there's a gargantuan difference between the 1S and the Series S.. but I suppose you know that.

Also see the post from kuncol02 kuncol02 .

Last edited:
Because:
1. Experience of using previous generation consoles in absolutely inferior in comparison even to Series S
2. One S\X wourk only with cross gen games so you are using technology soon to become obsolete.
I didn't know that the one x was so damn slow that even the dog will refuse to play on it now.

If someone is so OCD they should buy the series X and be done with it.

kuncol02

Banned
I didn't know that the one x was so damn slow that even the dog will refuse to play on it now.

If someone is so OCD they should buy the series X and be done with it.
In loading times? Absolutely. HDDs of previous generation were so bad that loading times were destroying joy of playing games.
You also need to have One X, because buying one now makes no sense at all.

DustQueen

Banned
Microsoft need to
It’s the GPU and RAM that’s the issue for resolution, but as far as CPU and frame rates go it’s pretty solid, near identical with the X except clocked a little lower.
Giving that bigger framebuffers need more CPU resources it pretty much makes X n S cpu equal in terms of performance. And this is the key thing.
I expect S to perform very decent when MS API problems resolved and really good ones devs ll optimise n adjust for the cut down memory, cos that is the real bottleneck with that system... although unlike Jaguar situation on the last gen this is something u can deal with.

OrtizTwelve

Are we still debating this? It’s a 1080p lower graphics version of the Series X. It’s like comparing a PC on High and Medium graphics settings. There is a huge market for that sort of machine. It just isn’t a machine for graphics enthusiasts on GAF.

Copying and pasting a post I made a while back below.

I have friends who are buying the Series S + Game Pass. They could afford a $500 console but usually wait a few years for a price drop. They typically play COD, GTA, Madden, NBA, FIFA, and a handful of free to play games. They don't turn on game mode, they don't calibrate their TVs, they just play games casually. They got super excited about Game Pass + EA for Madden and FIFA. They usually only buy one or two years year of the games per gen so they are find with always being a year behind on the service. They are getting a lot more entertainment out of the Series S + Game Pass than they would have otherwise.

To really hit this point home-I had a friend who had his 360 hooked up via composite video even though he owned component cables, he thought I was a wizard when I swapped the cables around. Had another friend who was running his Xbox One at 720p; 1080p blew his mind. Another buddy of mine had his TV picture size set incorrectly and was so pumped when I changed it and he could see the hud in Gears of War.

There are a ton of people out there who are absolutely ignorant when it comes to basic stuff like resolution. A lot of them are people who wait to get a console until there has been a price drop or two and there are a bunch of games out. Series S will pull them in earlier. They don't need to know or understand the difference between Series X and S-to them both can play the newest COD and one is $200 cheaper.

This response is 100% why Microsoft released a Series S for the mass market. And also why it will be successful, because the $299 price point for a games console is the sweet spot. You cannot build a gaming PC for what the Series S is offering and get good performance. It doesn't exist.

And to the morons saying "Well you can spend $100 more and get a PS5 etc" --- $100 for the majority of casual consumers is a big difference and they will settle for the Series S.

This board isn't representative of the consumer market at all, the Series S is not geared to 99% of people on here. But it is geared to 99% of people who don't post here -- I.E. the REAL world.

acm2000

Because the series x would be on the living room TV? Most kids have a TV in their rooms these days and they will mostly be 1080p hand me downs.

Once again the ps5de is not the same market as a series s, not a single sale will be lost because of it so the sony fan boys don't have to feel threatened by it, it's a cheap upgrade for the kids one s that allows them to play all the old games and all the new ones, with their friends, on Xbox Live.

Rockman33

eh...

Fine there are some cases where I concede the Series S going lower than 1080p is inevitable but it simply does not deliver what it promises.

-No RT when it exists on the X version
-Lower quality settings compared to the X version when just a lower resolution and everything is the same is the marketing bullet point
-BC mode based on the One/One S version of games instead on the One X
-missing game modes from the X version

I dunno about you but buying a Series S is just treating yourself as a second class citizen.

I was seriously planning on buying one since I’m still rocking a 1080p 60fps TV but this is just unacceptable for me. I mean thank god the console still hasn’t officially released in our country so I dodged a bullet there.

If you’re planning on investing on Xbox then just straight up save for the SX.

-watch dogs has RT.
-it’s not running one S version. It’s doing in between. At 1440 p for BC

There wasn't shit at the beginning of last gen that ran at 60 fps, nor was there a push for it.
Because:
I like how you start out with what seems like a valid question, only to go full warrior blabbering about "Phil posters".

In case you were actually serious - there's a gargantuan difference between the 1S and the Series S.. but I suppose you know that.

Also see the post from kuncol02 kuncol02 .
In loading times? Absolutely. HDDs of previous generation were so bad that loading times were destroying joy of playing games.
You also need to have One X, because buying one now makes no sense at all.
Because the series x would be on the living room TV? Most kids have a TV in their rooms these days and they will mostly be 1080p hand me downs.

Once again the ps5de is not the same market as a series s, not a single sale will be lost because of it so the sony fan boys don't have to feel threatened by it, it's a cheap upgrade for the kids one s that allows them to play all the old games and all the new ones, with their friends, on Xbox Live.
I am not partaking in that circle jerk sorry.

mckmas8808

Banned
eh...

Fine there are some cases where I concede the Series S going lower than 1080p is inevitable but it simply does not deliver what it promises.

-No RT when it exists on the X version
-Lower quality settings compared to the X version when just a lower resolution and everything is the same is the marketing bullet point
-BC mode based on the One/One S version of games instead on the One X
-missing game modes from the X version

I dunno about you but buying a Series S is just treating yourself as a second class citizen.

I was seriously planning on buying one since I’m still rocking a 1080p 60fps TV but this is just unacceptable for me. I mean thank god the console still hasn’t officially released in our country so I dodged a bullet there.

If you’re planning on investing on Xbox then just straight up save for the SX.

And all of that from launch games. What happens when the real games that stress this new gen's console come out in 2 years?

Top Bottom