• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S - India’s Best-Selling Console in March 2021

Super interesting to see.

And sure, this doesn't matter from a total unit perspective globally - but the fact that retailers have a script for an xbox console value prop (which is good enough to influence consumer buying decisions) is a marked difference from last gen.

India is 90% Sony territory. The scarcity of competing consoles helps, no doubt - but from the retailer quotes in this article, it seems like xbox might actually be resonating with customers on value prop as well.

“Most of them showed up to buy a PS4,” says one store executive on the condition of anonymity. “When we told them it was out of stock and explained to them what Game Pass is and how many games they get access to, they picked up a Series S instead.”

Can't seem to shorten links for some reason on mobile.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
“It’s only sold well because it’s what’s available,” says a manager at a large format electronics chain. “We’d have sold the same — if not more, if we had the Series X instead.”

What I know about India is that they love anything-Sony. They're probably the biggest fanbase of Sony out there, and most Sony videos on youtube seem to be filled with Indian fans as well. Also Sony Entertainment Television seems to be pretty big there with 100M subs on youtube:

Shortages are doing favors here, also the fisaco of that Indian guy who trademarked PS5 and delayed the launch of PS5 in India for few months as well. Md Ray Md Ray knows his country more.

This is only an anomaly.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Here We Go Eye Roll GIF

Everything is going to sell out at this point as we are still in shortage territory.

Kuranghi

Indian Tony gets home with his new Xbox Series S after going to the shop to buy a PS4: "Wow I can't want to wait to play God of War and Spiderman on this!"

I can imagine store staff just blagging the shit out of the sale because its all the have "Yeah yeah GP has, like, every game on it, you'll never have to buy another game again! Even Spiderman? Yeah totally and theres a special green and black suit on Xbox"

Obviously this is a joke, I'm sure they'll have tons of fun if they were uninformed enough to change their mind at the till because they probably don't have any expectations of which games they can play. If its your first console it would be pretty insane to suddenly have access to that many great games at once.

XSS always gets criticized for not selling well in Slovenia. Might as well balance that with some good news out of India. Looks like a perfect console for people concerned about price. The best part is that it will be supported much longer than PS4 will and get much newer games. Plus Game pass is an awesome value. The XSS was never meant to hurt Sony it was meant to give MS and gamers more options and on that front its working quite well.

ACESHIGH

Banned
My fellow countryman in Argentina should do the same. But I think they would rather spend 2 months salaries for a ps5 and then a week's pay for each new release and complain gaming is too expensive...

Sadly the country is the strongest Sony stronghold on the planet. Fanboysm is rampant. Due to that Sony can get away without even offering regional pricing or ps now.

ethomaz

Banned
India is a huge force in IT department and you can be sure that cities, that represent a huge amount of people, have good enough internet connections to download games. Not even talking about streaming.
Well.

India is ranked 131st place out of 138 in terms of internet speed with 12.07 Mbps average.

BTW the research was done in October 2020.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Well.

India is ranked 131st place out of 138 in terms of internet speed with 12.07 Mbps average.

You know you are talking about mobile internet right? I doubt they use the Series S outside their house.

So it's competing with PS4. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Honestly, the fact that it competes with anything PlayStation is impressive. That's more what I was drawing attention to.

No Playstation or Nintendo stock leads to Xbox sell more.

I'm shocked.

Take it easy Joe. Don't give yourself an aneurysm trying to defend PlayStation here in India. I pointed out that the absence of competing consoles played a part - the article does too. India is PlayStation territory. Will be for a long time, I'd expect. The fact that retailers have a pitch for any xbox console was the impressive part of the article.

I can taste the fear in every one of these pro Xbox threads. But, it's just an anomaly so don't worry.
Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

What fear? You think I'm worried that my preferred piece of plastic will be shunned by a global majority? I give a rats ass about that narrative AND your opinion on how I might feel on that matter. Now, do you have any insight to the article I linked or are you not done yet with your console war drivel?

What an embarrassing thread. Come on OP you can do better than this there aren't even any sales figures, from what I can see.

Anon managed to convince a horde of people to forget about a PS4 and pick up a Xbox Series S instead?

Yeh, sounds bullshit.

I don't get it? It's a legit article on IGN India. Unless you have proof that they are an untrustworthy site, I think their reporting stands for something. Sure there are no numbers, but that's not the point. Numbers in India are going to be tiny in the global sense. I mentioned that as well in the OP - so why should that matter. As far as converting ps4 sales, so what? Are you saying its impossible? Because there are direct quotes in the article that suggest otherwise.

This isn't an anti-Sony thread. Don't get your knickers in a twist Sony warriors. This is an interesting moment in a small market that has been and will likely continue to be a Sony stronghold.

The fact that a retailer has a narrative to sell and xbox is a huge shift from what the Indian marketplace has seen in previous console generations.

Last edited:
The biggest take from this news is how the PS4 is sold out? Is it discontinued already?
There are rumours in the Indian marketplace saying that Sony has de prioritised it - but nothing on the record anywhere to support it.

This article is the first that draws attention to that possibility.

intbal

This video is old, but this thread reminded me of it. I suspect gaming growth will continue in India at a much faster pace than the West, where we're already at saturation.
In any case, interesting mini-documentary.

dcmk7

Banned
India is a huge force in IT department and you can be sure that cities, that represent a huge amount of people, have good enough internet connections to download games. Not even talking about streaming.
Huge force in outsourcing resources too.

Will one day no doubt be a global powerhouse.

But right now, they do not excel in internet speeds.

Well.

Population very large. 1.3billion people. So population versus internet users ratio fucks up India ranking i think.

So even with 500m fast internet users, you have over 500m still left with no or bad internet. Its still a developing economy not fully developed economy.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well.

Quite clearly says mobile data speeds.

Hendrick's Hendrick's - I realise now that I completely whooshed on your post. I responded stupidly and I'd like to apologise. Keep the gifs coming, we all need to have a sense of humour when it comes to our favourite hobby.

Gamepass is helping sell consoles.

A lot of places have extremely expensive games too, so if the gamepass price is regionally priced significantly cheaper than a boxed game, it's going to resonate.

And this is before any significant MS software is even ready. It's rare to see a system level program or policy sell consoles. If Xbox ever manages to get a few must have exclusive games, it's going to really take off. It's also smart that they had the Series S ready to go. Multiple smart decisions from MS this gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom