• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S - India’s Best-Selling Console in March 2021

ethomaz

Banned
Sony PlayStation 4 gaming console continued to rule the India market in 2020, with capturing 92 per cent of the shipments during the first three quarters, a new report said on Monday.

Say again? 8%?

side eye nom GIF by AFV Babies
The news is basically about PS4 being sold out there... you can expect that from PS5 and Series X but PS4 being sold out is really something else.

cireza

Well.

India is ranked 131st place out of 138 in terms of internet speed with 12.07 Mbps average.

BTW the research was done in October 2020.
lol

I live in France and where I am, I download at 500 KB/sec, which translates to 4 Mb/sec. So their average is actually 10 times higher than my internet speed.
My Xbox collection is 100% digital. Internet speed is not a problem for services like GamePass, it simply takes some time to get your game, but that's it.

Last edited:
Is there a single unsold PS5, PS5 Digital or Series X sitting on a shelf in the country? If no, this is still meaningless data.

Goalus

This thread was a good read, as the title suggested :messenger_grinning:
Bitter Sony fans everywhere, grasping at straws - as expected :messenger_ok:

It's understandable though, the past few weeks must have been tough.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I work as salesman at a big retailer in brazil
PS4: R$3299,90
Series S: R$2999,90
Every customer that comes in to get the PS4, I offer the series instead
And they accept it?

BTW PS4 is R$2599 with 3 retail games here, no? At least that is what I see on Casas Bahia, Magalu, and Americanas.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
If they're okay with the PS4 then the Series S is a better value proposition. The Series S was always aimed at the people who couldn't afford Series X/PS5 and would have ended up picking up a last-gen machine.
We have a console for people looking for value proposition and it's called an xbox one X

FritzJ92

I feel like people are missing the main point of why the Xbox Series S actually sold the way it did.

1. Its proof that your average customer will purchase whatever seems to be the best bang for their buck, many of them are not like people that follows forums like this
2. GamePass is the reason the customer bought into it, which implies that GamePass is still MS best exclusive and the best proposition for your average customer. Take GamePass away and those same customers really would not have an incentive to purchase the console unless they wanted to try Microsoft ecosystem.

Edit to add:

If those customer have a great experience using GamePass, word of mouth will encourage more customers to give Xbox a try. That's how I got my first Xbox and PlayStation, word of mouth so I decided to get one.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I feel like people are missing the main point of why the Xbox Series S actually sold the way it did.

1. Its proof that your average customer will purchase whatever seems to be the best bang for their buck, many of them are not like people that follows forums like this
2. GamePass is the reason the customer bought into it, which implies that GamePass is still MS best exclusive and the best proposition for your average customer. Take GamePass away and those same customers really would not have an incentive to purchase the console unless they wanted to try Microsoft ecosystem.

Edit to add:

If those customer have a great experience using GamePass, word of mouth will encourage more customers to give Xbox a try. That's how I got my first Xbox and PlayStation, word of mouth so I decided to get one.
The reason in OP articles is that they sold that much Seires S because PS4 was sold out.... it was basically the only option available.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
The reason in OP articles is that they sold that much Seires S because PS4 was sold out.... it was basically the only option available.
It’s falling on death ears. Some of these people can’t be reasoned with. It’s come to “well Xbox is selling well in India”. Half the people can’t even find India on a map.

How about the option of not buying anything at all and saving your money to buy the console you literally came to buy?

You make it sound like the customers there were dumb enough to only want to leave the store with less of their hard earned money and something they didn't care for.

Historically, in a 90% PlayStation market there have been past moments when customers saw zero stock situations of their preferred PlayStation console. Those moments did not see Xbox elevate to sales leader even if there were just 5 units on store shelfs.

Stop being disingenuous here.

This is not a bell weather of anything, it's just a cool/non-conformant data point from an otherwise iron clad PlayStation bastion.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
PS4 plays used or discounted discs, BD movies and a generation of great games. The S is a digital only Xbox. I guess if you need something for your kids to play Fortnite on.

ethomaz

Banned
How about the option of not buying anything at all and saving your money to buy the console you literally came to buy?

You make it sound like the customers there were dumb enough to only want to leave the store with less of their hard earned money and something they didn't care for.

Historically, in a 90% PlayStation market there have been past moments when customers saw zero stock situations of their preferred PlayStation console. Those moments did not see Xbox elevate to sales leader even if there were just 5 units on store shelfs.

Stop being disingenuous here.

This is not a bell weather of anything, it's just a cool/non-conformant data point from an otherwise iron clad PlayStation bastion.
Let's be clear here.

The OP title is "Series S is the best selling console in March 2021 in India" and that is absolutely true.
When you read the article you get more info that that happened because the others consoles were Sold Out.
Digging more into there is some employees claims that they offered the Series S for these that come looking for the PS4 and some brought it after they explained how Gamepass works.

If the PS4 had availability the Series could be the best selling? No.
If the PS5 had availability and the employee explained the Series S and Gamepass it could change the consumer mind? Yes but the probability is very low to somebody that got in the store to buy a PS4.
Is the Series S sales in India in March something really good? Nobody knows... it can be even lower than February but due the others being Sold Out become the best seller.

Disingenuous is like ignore everything the article says.

Last edited:
We have a console for people looking for value proposition and it's called an xbox one X
That's a pretty funny joke. The X1X is a dead console and according to that Tony Hawk thread it runs the game WORSE than the XSS. Cyberpunk 2077 too. No one in their right mind would recommend the X1X over the XSS. The XSS is already running running games that aren't ever coming to the X1X. It was funny though. Should have recommended the Dreamcast.

Stuart360

Gold Member
To be fair, Series S is probably like a super computer by Inidia standards. In fact i heard they are running their whole space program on one. :messenger_smiling:

Last edited:
Let's be clear here.

The OP title is "Series S is the best selling console in March 2021 in India" and that is absolutely true.
When you read the article you get more info that that happened because the others consoles were Sold Out.
Digging more into there is some employees claims that they offered the Series S for these that come looking for the PS4 and some brought it after they explained how Gamepass works.

If the PS4 had availability the Series could be the best selling? No.
If the PS5 had availability and the employee explained the Series S and Gamepass it could change the consumer mind? Yes but the probability is very low to somebody that got in the store to buy a PS4.
Is the Series S sales in India in March something really good? Nobody knows... it can be even lower than February but due the others being Sold Out become the best seller.

Disingenuous is like ignore everything the article says.

I feel we're speaking past each other.

You're fixated on the absence of competition as the only reason for an xbox console to sell.

Is that a reason, absolutely. (we agree here)

Is it the only reason - considering such shortages have been experienced before and xbox has never been on top enough to lead sales? No. (we disagree here, clearly)

The xbox narrative there has also become interesting enough to find customers who were PlayStation focused. That has never existed before. (you want to marginalise this aspect of the article - and I see you on these boards, I know what your position in the dumb console warz is)

Will this persist? Who the heck knows.. (we agree on this too). For now, it's an interesting data point is all.

I hope that made sense.

Alright

Banned
That's a pretty funny joke. The X1X is a dead console and according to that Tony Hawk thread it runs the game WORSE than the XSS. Cyberpunk 2077 too. No one in their right mind would recommend the X1X over the XSS. The XSS is already running running games that aren't ever coming to the X1X. It was funny though. Should have recommended the Dreamcast.
Tony Hawks, that game from 20 years ago?

X1X is cheaper, runs some games very well at 4k, the rest at 1080p and skyrim is buttery smooth.

I wasn't joking either. I have a 1X and have no desire, need or requirement to upgrade. according to 'phil' all games are cross gen so... 🤷‍♂️

ethomaz

Banned

You're fixated on the absence of competition as the only reason for an xbox console to sell.

Is it the only reason - considering such shortages have been experienced before and xbox has never been on top enough to lead sales? No. (we disagree here, clearly)

The xbox narrative there has also become interesting enough to find customers who were PlayStation focused. That has never existed before. (you want to marginalise this aspect of the article - and I see you on these boards, I know what your position in the dumb console warz is)

Will this persist? Who the heck knows.. (we agree on this too). For now, it's an interesting data point is all.

I hope that made sense.
Was PS4 shortages happened after Series S launch there? That is the first time I read something about... before that PS4 was being the best selling machine not by a small margin.

Last edited:
Tony Hawks, that game from 20 years ago?

X1X is cheaper, runs some games very well at 4k, the rest at 1080p and skyrim is buttery smooth.

I wasn't joking either. I have a 1X and have no desire, need or requirement to upgrade. according to 'phil' all games are cross gen so... 🤷‍♂️
Well it sucks to give people bad advice. Phil said there was no rush to upgrade your device but if you wanted to play a game like The Medium for instance the X1X can't run it at all. Every game that is on the X1X can run on the XSS not every game on the XSS can on the X1X. The X1X is cheaper because it is a dead console. Tony Hawk just got an updated version released recently and again Cyberpunk 2077 runs WORSE on X1X. Does Skyrim run at 60fps on the X1X? It does on XSS. Why not recommend the X1 if you are talking about saving money or the X360 for that matter? You have to be joking.

I hope that made sense.
Another interesting data point is how a low cost console can help spread the word about an alternative to Sony's devices. Most people just defaulted to the PS4 because MS wasn't really trying last generation. Now there are some real options out there and some good savings to be had. India seems like a perfect country for a console like the XSS. The masses there aren't rocking 4K televisions. It will always be cheaper than the PS5. I'm curious to see how this looks long term.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
Well it sucks to give people bad advice. Phil said there was no rush to upgrade your device but if you wanted to play a game like The Medium for instance the X1X can't run it at all.

So what you're saying is, Phil lied when he said every game will be cross gen?

Do you also believe that Halo, launching at the end of this year, will also run on, not just the 1x, but also the xbox one, like Phil promised?

I really dislike xbox fans like you. It's your constant bullshit and excuses why the xbox division is still just as shite as it was ten years ago and a lifetime away from the industry defining console that was the OG xbox and 360

Well it sucks to give people bad advice. Phil said there was no rush to upgrade your device but if you wanted to play a game like The Medium for instance the X1X can't run it at all. Every game that is on the X1X can run on the XSS not every game on the XSS can on the X1X. The X1X is cheaper because it is a dead console. Tony Hawk just got an updated version released recently and again Cyberpunk 2077 runs WORSE on X1X. Does Skyrim run at 60fps on the X1X? It does on XSS. Why not recommend the X1 if you are talking about saving money or the X360 for that matter? You have to be joking.

Another interesting data point is how a low cost console can help spread the word about an alternative to Sony's devices. Most people just defaulted to the PS4 because MS wasn't really trying last generation. Now there are some real options out there and some good savings to be had. India seems like a perfect country for a console like the XSS. The masses there aren't rocking 4K televisions. It will always be cheaper than the PS5. I'm curious to see how this looks long term.
What resolution does Skyrim run on XSS?

dcmk7

Banned

grossed out comedy central GIF by Workaholics

Get the hint he's content with his current console.

FritzJ92

You seriously don’t think people won’t mind waiting for the product they want if it’s not available.
You do understand PS isn’t discontinued, more product will come, so they had to be enticed at some point to even consider an alternative.

Simple example, when iPhones sell out, Galaxy phone dont just magically start selling like crazy, unless there was something enticing you to even bother giving it a try.

Im pretty sure everyone read that it was the only option, but the point you missed is “why” would they consider that option when they could’ve waited.

So what you're saying is, Phil lied when he said every game will be cross gen?

Do you also believe that Halo, launching at the end of this year, will also run on, not just the 1x, but also the xbox one, like Phil promised?

I really dislike xbox fans like you. It's your constant bullshit and excuses why the xbox division is still just as shite as it was ten years ago and a lifetime away from the industry defining console that was the OG xbox and 360
Please point out where Phil said every game would come out on X1X forever. No one with half a brain thought the X1X would get support in perpetuity. You are making up some sort of weird strawman inventing a comment Phil never said. Why do that? I hate when people feel the need to lie by saying something like "We have a console for people looking for value proposition and it's called an xbox one X" If value is your goal the X1X is absolutely NOT the way to go. It isn't even the cheapest last gen option so even on that front the whole statement is comical. Your recommendation clearly was disingenuous. That isn't Xbox fans fault, that isn't Phil's fault, that is yours.

Are you high?

He said he would continue to support the gen and every exclusive and first party game was cross gen. I even scratched my head as to why they even released the series S.
You sure about that? Got a link to the interview? Pretty sure there was a time limit on that you conveniently left out.

What resolution does Skyrim run on XSS?
Most likely 1080p. The X1X can't run the game at 60FPS at all. That would make it a horrible recommendation for someone looking to play Xbox games today.

grossed out comedy central GIF by Workaholics

Get the hint he's content with his current console.
You completely missed the point. This isn't about what his personal preference for his home. It is his recommendation for others. Tony Hawk, Skyrim, and Cyberpunk 2077 all run BETTER on the XSS. Games like The Medium don't run on the X1X at all. Yet he recommends the X1X. Interesting choice. My biggest mistake was thinking even for one moment he was being sincere. Based on his previous comments I can tell he was telling a joke. Really funny stuff.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
Please point out where Phil said every game would come out on X1X forever. No one with half a brain thought the X1X would get support in perpetuity. You are making up some sort of weird strawman inventing a comment Phil never said. Why do that? I hate when people feel the need to lie by saying something like "We have a console for people looking for value proposition and it's called an xbox one X" If value is your goal the X1X is absolutely NOT the way to go. It isn't even the cheapest last gen option so even on that front the whole statement is comical. Your recommendation clearly was disingenuous. That isn't Xbox fans fault, that isn't Phil's fault, that is yours.

You sure about that? Got a link to the interview? Pretty sure there was a time limit on that you conveniently left out.

Most likely 1080p. The X1X can't run the game at 60FPS at all. That would make it a horrible recommendation for someone looking to play Xbox games today.

You completely missed the point. This isn't about what his personal preference for his home. It is his recommendation for others. Tony Hawk, Skyrim, and Cyberpunk 2077 all run BETTER on the XSS. Games like The Medium don't run on the X1X at all. Yet he recommends the X1X. Interesting choice. My biggest mistake was thinking even for one moment he was being sincere. Based on his previous comments I can tell he was telling a joke. Really funny stuff.
I'm not sifting through the shite Phil Spencer says to prove me right. Do the legwork yourself you lazy cunt.

SLB1904

Banned
What makes you say that?
''India has become the digital capabilities hub of the world with around 75% of global digital talent present in the country. IT-BPM industry's revenue was estimated at around US$ 191 billion in FY20, growing at 7.7% y-o-y. It is estimated to reach US$ 350 billion by 2025''

i want to know that as well

Would love to see some AAA games based on Indian mythology on the PlayStation and Xbox someday, like God of War quality but all transcendent and... stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom