• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S impressions? All Quiet on the Western Front?

Sony is getting a lot of flak for their stealthy approach to PS5 information, but MS seems to be flying under the radar with Series S?

I'm at a crossroads. I have my Ps5 pre-order, but those prices in the UK. £70 a game. Ouchie as Deadpool would say.

And the Bethseda debacle needs no introduction. The day before I was having a WhatsApp chat with a mate and in my own words "No way am I buying a game at launch at those prices unless it's a 50+ game like Skyrim or Fallout". Oops!

So Series S seems more of a perfect buy for me. Gamepass suits my older casual gamer needs. It's small and compact so I can put it on my PC desk and 1080p suits me just fine as I have a 2K monitor and usually play on my 1080p projector.

But I can't help think are MS promising what they can't deliver? Something that powerful in such a small form factor seems too good to be true and apart from the chassis reveal, we've heard nary a whisper about the S model. I fully expected a Digital Foundry tear down by now...

So TechGAF, bias aside, do you think this little box will be able to keep up with the strides of next-gen or be left behind a year or two after launch?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
We've seen more footage of Series S than X. Dirt 5, Watchdogs etc in that show reel. I think 120fps was confirmed for Gears so it's obviously quite powerful. It'll probably just drop from 1440p to 1080p over the gen but for the money and as a second console it will be fine.

Mmnow

The Series S, by and large, isn't aimed at anybody who would preorder, and it certainly isn't aimed at people who watch pre-launch first impressions.

YouTubers will start getting Series S consoles about the time kids are doing their Christmas lists. Most advertising, if done well, will be in magazines, newspapers, television aimed at moms, etc.

If you don't want to wait, the worst you get from preordering is a decent little console at 1080p that maybe doesn't have the effects the Series X can put out. But then, if you cared about that stuff you'd be getting the 4k device with all the bells and whistles anyway, so I don't think you can go wrong.

Last edited:

lachesis

Maybe they are focusing on the early adapters, and many early adapters would be ones who's willing to shell out $499 for new consoles at the moment?
I am very interested how S would turn out in real life and all in technical level... hope to see something from them soon.

Maybe they are focusing on the early adapters, and many early adapters would be ones who's willing to shell out $499 for new consoles at the moment?
I am very interested how S would turn out in real life and all in technical level... hope to see something from them soon.

Yeah, starting off with the console that doesnt push graphics isnt gonna turn out well. You focus on the big one first, then slide in the S. It makes sense.

Starting with the S would only bring out the ponies.

Calverz

I know what u mean OP. Iv pre ordered ps5 and demons souls. £520
iv also pre ordered a series s and got 6 months gamepass. £288

edit: im actually getting 20% off the series s through a mates staff discount. So actually series s and 6 months gamepass £238

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
It’s a console for casuals. They are not going into gaming forums etc talking about details. So who cares?

reinking

Gold Member
Curious about how much usable SSD space is going to be available and things like that. It seems they are playing a very good marketing strategy.

Top Bottom