Was able to purchase a Series S on launch day back in November. Here are my impressions a few months later, in bullets for simplicity. I think there's a lot of undue criticism and controversy over this console, and maybe I will help some people make a better decision should they choose to buy one in the near future.
- Love the design still after a few months. When placed vertically, looks great. I know the "speaker" vent rubs some people the wrong way, but it doesn't look as bad in person. If placed vertically with the front of the console facing you, looks like a super nice piece of modern slender tech. Also, the matte white on this is beautiful. A+.
- Still super quiet after these few months. This console emits no noise, even under load I haven't heard the fan once. Same thing for temperature, it tends to get warm near the vents but nothing to be concerned about. Usually we don't see these kinds of revisions until later in a console's life, so it's good Microsoft nailed down the sound and thermals first round. A+
- Build quality is fantastic. No creaks or odd sounds when being handled or placed around the entertainment center. The console is equally weighted so you don't feel any empty spaces inside, it doesn't feel like a plastic hollow console of the past. Microsoft did a good job with this as they used every single inch of space. A+
- Storage will be an issue for most people with just 512GB of onboard memory, but it is still very fast. I ended up buying the 1TB expansion memory card and thank god I did. With just onboard storage, you can basically only fit like 2 large games. I get the cost savings factor, but it will be an issue for most people within a short period of time. B
- Performance is fine. I know I am not seeing 4K textures or whatever. Games still look and play great, and the enhanced versions of some games look really, really good. Haven't noticed any slowdowns or chug, I sorta just play games and forget about specs. I have played a lot of games and never once thought "man I wish I had an X or PS5". B
- I think for most people looking into next gen without spending too much money and gamepass, this at $299 is a no-brainer. I don't feel like I am "missing out" by not having a Series X. I will probably upgrade to a Series X in the future, but right now I am happy with what I have, and I believe a lot of people will feel this way too. B+