• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S games size to be 30% smaller than Xbox Series X games

Neo_game

Sounds like it's gonna be all over the show, some games just shipping with the assets still in the game file bloating sizes some games with them taken out.
Hopefully it's more the latter.

The resolution, fps and textures quality etc is totally dependent on the dev. So some indie games can run at 4K on the SS as well or some gfx intensive games be 1080P I do not think Microsoft can control it. DMC5 SE has an option of 4K 30fps or 1080P 60fps with RT. This is something that player can choose but there will only be 1 version for download.

pyrocro

There is no article since those screens come from various sources:

If you want to see it for yourself and have a decent PC then find a game with a 4k texture pack and load it up at 1080/1440p. Then go back to the lower resolution textures and look at how there is less clarity and detail in the overall image.

The point of reducing texture quality to suit the resolution is made By the Reddit thumbnail.
Look at it you have to stare and even then you can maybe see the difference, you have to increase the output area AKA increase the display resolution to see the differences.
seeing as 1440p is just under 70% of 4k and the 30% smaller disk space required for series S is right in line with logic.
it's almost as if multiple software engineers with Ph.D.'s did the real math and came up with 30% smaller should be about correct.

as you mention going to 720 from 4k is a stark high contrast situation but there is also a difference going from 4k to 1440p.
it's measurable and according to Microsoft it might be 30%, Ms is just implementing the console doctrine of being efficient and authoring the solution/game to a specific spec.

Fewer pixels require less data to fill them meaningfully, I think this is the only argument to be made.
the only question after that should be how much to reduce assets by if you are writing to accommodate a specific spec(Series S).

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If they keep the assets in the 1440p standard, that is nice

That's not how it works.

Asset resolutions != Screen resolution

2048x2048 Textures can be rendered on polygons meant for any screen res, 720p, 1440p or 4k. Conversely 256x256 textures can be applied to polygons and output on a 4k screens. You can just use the highest quality assets that won't choke your memory bandwidth or fill up your VRAM. So they are doing this dual path solution to accommodate the limited bandwidth and lower memory. It's not much different than trying to support a version of cross generation games for the whole generation.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
That's not how it works.

Asset resolutions != Screen resolution

2048x2048 Textures can be rendered on polygons meant for any screen res, 720p, 1440p or 4k. Conversely 256x256 textures can be applied to polygons and output on a 4k screens. You can just use the highest quality assets that won't choke your memory bandwidth or fill up your VRAM. So they are doing this dual path solution to accommodate the limited bandwidth and lower memory. It's not much different than trying to support a version of cross generation games for the whole generation.
But if they separate the stuff in resolutions, that doesn't mean less space to a game?

That's neat. Storage is small nonetheless. Let's see them upgrading to 1TB by default a year after release.

Yeah I was going to buy both the S and X, but won't be getting an S at launch because of the 512gb drive. Just way too small for this gen. X it is. PS5 disc version. Series S in a year or two for a spare bedroom when they release a model with a bigger SSD.

Journey

Banned
30% smaller game sizes, but a 50% smaller SSD. Doesn't really work

Anything to save space matters, especially 1/3 smaller, that's sizeable.

What's the SSD size for the PS5 DE? I don't see anyone making a big deal there when there's no expansion option. Xbox Series S SSD is 30% smaller then 825GB, so it's actually on the same boat, with the big difference that you can expand using the Seagate SSD option. Do we have any approved PS5 SSD's yet?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The point of reducing texture quality to suit the resolution is made By the Reddit thumbnail.
Look at it you have to stare and even then you can maybe see the difference, you have to increase the output area AKA increase the display resolution to see the differences.
seeing as 1440p is just under 70% of 4k and the 30% smaller disk space required for series S is right in line with logic.
it's almost as if multiple software engineers with Ph.D.'s did the real math and came up with 30% smaller should be about correct.

as you mention going to 720 from 4k is a stark high contrast situation but there is also a difference going from 4k to 1440p.
it's measurable and according to Microsoft it might be 30%, Ms is just implementing the console doctrine of being efficient and authoring the solution/game to a specific spec.

Fewer pixels require less data to fill them meaningfully, I think this is the only argument to be made.
the only question after that should be how much to reduce assets by if you are writing to accommodate a specific spec(Series S).

Relax yourself.

You're missing the point of my post, entirely. The fact is 4k textures are visually better than 2k textures at every resolution that is commonly used in 2020, both on consoles and on PC. Yes it can be argued we are in the realm of "diminishing returns" when going from 2k textures to 4k textures at certain resolutions and screen sizes, bit the differences are there and do have a visual impact.

If you tread back to the start of the exchange you can see that my post was a direct response to somebody who claimed 4k textures are only beneficial on 4k displays - this is factually incorrect.

The discussion wasn't about trade-offs, I know they exist and I understand the technical reasons (and limitations) behind why they will be selecting lower resolution textures for the Series S versions of games.

Ceadeus

Yeah I was going to buy both the S and X, but won't be getting an S at launch because of the 512gb drive. Just way too small for this gen. X it is. PS5 disc version. Series S in a year or two for a spare bedroom when they release a model with a bigger SSD.

Damn, you're going all in! When's the 3090? :D

BabyYoda

Banned
How would this work on PC? You have a whole range of resolutions and specs there too. You do use it too. It depends how close you get to your textures. It would only look the same at a given distance.

When you click on the download, it should let you unclick the 4K box (the PC used to have more options when installing I think).

How would I see 4K textures on a 1080p screen? They might look slightly better due to less compression etc, but I doubt it's worth it honestly.

I'd also like the option not to dl the mp as well, including patches, man that would've saved my life regarding Doom...how hard can it be to break up the downloads like this? Hopefully having the Series S will encourage this.

Top Bottom