• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S Could Present Challenges For Future Titles, Says Chief Technical Officer Of 4A Games

FrankWza

Microsoft gave it a standard, and that was 1440p at 60 fps with the same graphical feature set as the Series X. This was communicated both in the media and Microsoft's own marketing materials.

Unfortunately, in the early going it has not reached that standard. And it's important that one of the poster children for ray tracing, Control, doesn't feature it on Series S. The standard is real, and prospective Series S buyers should be aware of it.
Exactly. Another case of over promising and under delivering. In the s they’ve actually managed to over promise and over label.
Their 1440p claim should have been 'up to' 1440p.
But it wasn’t. And with fenyx rising it only touches it in 30fps mode.

dcmk7

Banned
I'd take that bet. Have you actually talked to the people on this forum who actually have the console? Are they all claiming it needs to be dropped? The loudest opponents are Sony fans for some strange reason. They of course are affected the least so its odd. If the XSS is going to cause MS to fail sit back and watch MS fall apart.

The loudest voices are developers.

I'm a pro developer fanboy. Give them the choice to develop only for the top end machine. Not a box in between two generations which they are hamstrung by.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
What about the buyers who bought the machine based on the resolution being the only difference, only to then see next gen games released with other features stripped away? Including frame rate.

The machine is a halfway house between last gen and this generation and it has became obvious a little while ago that it's existence isn't welcome. It can't even keep up with its promises, even at this very early stage.

It seems every other week now we (yet again) get another developer frustrated with having to deal with the limitations of the XSS, yet more talk of scaling back on their vision/ambition to support a box they are obligated to.. If they won't support it they won't get to release on its big, healthier, brother.

Once the sales for it dry up it will be quietly swept under the rug. Just like Kinect.

You mean like that other post where the developer a couple of weeks ago said they had no issue working on it that seriously twisted into negative bs on this board? All you see is the people bringing posts in here to try and cast a shadow on the machine, and ignoring the largely no issue that most developers have with the machine.
They have already sold millions of units, the machine isn't going anywhere. It's not an add on, every unit sold is a potential subscriber and sales potential.
And all of these games being developed for mutiplatform systems including pc aren't held back by xss, that bs is totally debunked at this point.

Hugare

I expect Series S support to be droped 2-3 years from now.

We will have new mid gen consoles, and the S will be seen as a fucking anchor, more than it already is.

I dont see it selling huge numbers to justify its existence and support. 3rd party support for the Switch exists because it sells like hotcakes. The same wont happen to the S.

dcmk7

Banned
You mean like that other post where the developer a couple of weeks ago said they had no issue working on it that seriously twisted into negative bs on this board? All you see is the people bringing posts in here to try and cast a shadow on the machine, and ignoring the largely no issue that most developers have with the machine.
They have already sold millions of units, the machine isn't going anywhere. It's not an add on, every unit sold is a potential subscriber and sales potential.
And all of these games being developed for mutiplatform systems including pc aren't held back by xss, that bs is totally debunked at this point.
The developer who said it '“doesn't significantly limit the game development progress”? That developer? If so, if you read the actual sentence.. he clearly says it does limit it.

Developers, like the one in OP, are saying otherwise though. More inclined to believe the people actually working with the systems.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not true. The X1X can't do variable rate shading, has no sampler feedback streaming, has no raytracing at all, and can't run The Medium in any capacity. More importantly the X1X has a console upgrade its called the XSX. The fact that the XSS out classes it already proves it is the next gen console it claims to be.
You literally love talking about Ray tracing when again, you said the Series S was for people who didn’t care about that but now they do lol.
If we are talking about ray tracing, it's worth noting that Series S already doesn't have ray tracing in multiple last gen games, i.e., DMC5, Control, and COD too IIRC.

Edit: Ah, yes, the '😂emoji'. Very astute response DarkMage619 DarkMage619 . I am convinced now 😛

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'd take that bet. Have you actually talked to the people on this forum who actually have the console? Are they all claiming it needs to be dropped? The loudest opponents are Sony fans for some strange reason. They of course are affected the least so its odd. If the XSS is going to cause MS to fail sit back and watch MS fall apart.
Why? Most of the games are third-party, and those will be gimped because of Series S. So Sony fans will be paying for MS's misstep the entire generation, with no reward to reap. Not too odd, is it?

We really could have a glorious generation if there were only PS5 and XSX.

dcmk7

Banned
Why? Most of the games are third-party, and those will be gimped because of Series S. So Sony fans will be paying for MS's misstep the entire generation, with no reward to reap. Not too odd, is it?

Exactly.

It's not exactly a tricky concept to understand either.

As gamers we want to see them get everything out of the high end machines. Not cross gen farces like the Halo Infinite reveal.

longdi

Banned
don't understand the concern here?
the dev simply stated they have a custom workaround but the performance can be further improved. thankfully ram is not an issue.

it's always was about scalability, not just selling to consumers but also for content creators.

yes it's more work for them. hopefully MS rewards devs with good GP deals.

yes this is a teething problem and hardship when you are building generations of compatibility and gaming on anywhere any devices.

things will get brighter after the dawn like harvey dent said

dcmk7

Banned
the dev simply stated they have a custom workaround but the performance can be further improved. thankfully ram is not an issue.

it's always was about scalability, not just selling to consumers but also for content creators.

yes this is a teething problem and hardship when you are building generations of compatibility and gaming on anywhere any devices.

Actually no,

He's actually predicting things to get tougher not easier.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

He later became a villain and died.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I really don't understand how people even challenge this simple concept. Arguing weaker tech won't hold back ground up development for twice as powerful tech, literally and completely ignores that every game will have a floor that needs to be lower than it would be without the weaker tech. I somewhat understand people pointing out that PC's have wide variables in tech, but all PC games have a floor, and console development always had the luxury of coding directly to a specific machine that is now lost as well.

In my opinion, its like 2020 and 2021 have been a replay of 2013/2014. Major difference is people replaced "power of the cloud" with optimized or resolution when defending weaker tech choices.
Because it's not the machine "being half powerful", it's just the GPU and we know what things manages a GPU and how can be optimized for less powerful systems (most of the time it scales to hell and back).

No features have to be redone for SS specifically because it has everything it needs inside to operate as a graphically weaker Series X.

Specs are public, what's not to be understood? Unless people saying "the console is 4TF" actually didn't know what they're talking about... hmmmm....

Kataploom

Gold Member
A GTX 1060 runs the MCC games at an average of 144 FPS @ 2560x1440p, the gpu in the 1X is more powerful than that so let’s not act like it CANT do these things.

The same GPU running at higher settings in Valhalla produces a 1440p image above 30fps. I’m sure if you knocked it down to console settings it would hit 60 easily as well.

Also the medium still runs the same on a spinning 7200rpm drive. Developers clearly didn’t give a shit about the 1Xs capabilities to do things like VRR and 120fps till the Series S/X came about.

The SS is a discless 1X with a Ray tracing capable GPU.
Dude the X1X has a RX 480 inside... Are you telling me that it's GPU is more powerful than a GTX 1060?

See for yourself

Even the 3GB version is NOT weaker than a rx 480

And X1X can't have same performance peak than XSS because it's CPU is weak as fuck, it has always been, many people complained about 8th gen consoles CPU because it's absurdly shit, games didn't change a little from 7th to 8th gen from gameplay perspective because the CPU on 8th gen consoles were even weaker than the PS360 CPUs (yes, it's a fact) and that's why devs asked for CPU improvements because CPU was has been the bottleneck for gaming in the last 7 years.

Unless a specific game is GPU intensive, games on SS won't run too much better than on X1X, otherwise SS will fly several rounds around X1X on performance at supersonic speed lol.

Do you know how a Jaguar CPU could stand against a Zen 2 CPU? Easy, it wouldn't. Period.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Because it's not the machine "being half powerful", it's just the GPU and we know what things manages a GPU and how can be optimized for less powerful systems (most of the time it scales to hell and back).

No features have to be redone for SS specifically because it has everything it needs inside to operate as a graphically weaker Series X.

Specs are public, what's not to be understood? Unless people saying "the console is 4TF" actually didn't know what they're talking about... hmmmm....
All I have for you is a word: Tenet RAM.

longdi

Banned
Actually no,

He's actually predicting things to get tougher not easier.
I don't think that's what he meant.

things are tougher on the lower specs, but they seems to be on top of things with further improvement to come.

he even said their team are more conservative with designing their engine around ssd because widespread adoption is still off.

he also like vrs and sampler feedback!

Kataploom

Gold Member
All I have for you is a word: Tenet RAM.
Haven't we already agreed that this gen is much less RAM-dependant than last gen due to SSD inclusion? I mean, this gen even had the smallest RAM upgrade I've seen on a console iteration.

Apart from that, the heaviest data on RAM for games is textures and remember the console is not intended for 4K so these will be much smaller in size so won't require that much bw, at least I hope so.

I also have my reserves about the RAM, so I'll rather wait for actual next-gen games using all console's features to form a final opinion on that regard.

dcmk7

Banned

Did you even read the OP? They have to redo a lot and the situation is only going to get worst in the future not better.

Maybe you should get in touch with the 4A Games' Chief Technical Officer and let him know where he is going wrong.

Since it's simple.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Haven't we already agreed that this gen is much less RAM-dependant than last gen due to SSD inclusion? I mean, this gen even had the smallest RAM upgrade I've seen on a console iteration.

Apart from that, the heaviest data on RAM for games is textures and remember the console is not intended for 4K so these will be much smaller in size so won't require that much bw, at least I hope so.

I also have my reserves about the RAM, so I'll rather wait for actual next-gen games using all console's features to form a final opinion on that regard.
A faster SSD does not diminish the importance of RAM. All it does is get data faster into the RAM, but the data will still go to the RAM.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Did you even read the OP? They have to redo a lot and the situation is only going to get worst in the future not better.

Maybe you should get in touch with the 4A Games' Chief Technical Officer and let him know where he is going wrong.

Since it's simple.

A faster SSD does not diminish the importance of RAM. All it does is get data faster into the RAM, but the data will still go to the RAM.

I does and yet devs on the OP said RAM was not a problem. Also they didn't have to "redo a lot", they just had to re-implement the feature due to key differences on machines GPU.

I want to make sure I also have my concerns about the RAM situation but I think MS didn't design the system blindly thinking everyone will follow them, we have reports from devs and previous to reveal rumors saying that MS worked closely with devs when designing the system.

longdi

Banned

Since it's simple.
why are you making up situations that the 4A guy never even hinted at or resemble of? FUD much ....

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
why are you making up situations that the 4A guy never even hinted at or resemble of? FUD much ....

What part am I making up exactly? I'm talking about the experience a CFO of a games studio has just described for us all. It's right there in the OP.

Specifically this part..

Our current renderer is designed for high spatial and temporal resolution. It is stochastic by nature. Dropping any of those would require us to do more expensive calculations dropping performance even further. We have a compromise solution right now, but I am not satisfied with it yet.

They have compromised around the problem. And even then it's going to be revisited as he's not happy/convinced with it. So, yes, it sounds like a significant effort for his team and something they have had to re-do and maybe reimplement again.

And he is the one predicting the situation is going to get worse and not better.

Last edited:
The loudest voices are developers.

I'm a pro developer fanboy. Give them the choice to develop only for the top end machine. Not a box in between two generations which they are hamstrung by.
I'm with gamers. The developers make games for the customers. If the developers need help they should contact MS for support. The XSS is firmly in this generation no matter what non-customers and detractors say. Not every has a 3090 graphics card although I'm certain developers would love that.

I keep asking this where does the developer in this very thread say that the XSS is holding back development of OTHER platforms? He is talking about the XSS and if that system has to make compromises so be it! That's the point! It's not meant to play games at the best graphical fidelity. It's like people are intentionally missing the point. You think the XSS is holding back OTHER platforms prove it.

Last edited:
water is wet

the 1080p / 4K arithmetic never was going to work (as those big consoles are not 4K machines) and everybody who worked on that thing must have known that from the beginning. it's always bad when marketing overrules engineering.

longdi

Banned
I'm with gamers. The developers make games for the customers. If the developers need help they should contact MS for support. The XSS is firmly in this generation no matter what non-customers and detractors say. Not every has a 3090 graphics card although I'm certain developers would love that.

I keep asking this where does the developer in this very thread say that the XSS is holding back development of OTHER platforms? He is talking about the XSS and if that system has to make compromises so be it! That's the point! It's not meant to play games at the best graphical fidelity. It's like people are intentionally missing the point. You think the XSS is holding back OTHER platforms prove it.

my hunch is after reading the interview, 4A is going in big with RT in their engine. but SS RT is the pansy, so they had to rework their RT renderer a bit. then again, gpu under 2060 levels have pansy RT. with pc, they can fall back on dlss and with vrs and sfs of dx12u, should alleviate the weak RT of lower end specs

so everything seems to work out fine for them.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
If MS just did the smart move and release the Xbox Series X in a discless SKU. And called it Xbox Series X digital.

Developers wouldn't be making comments like this, true gamers wouldn't be concerned about X or Y holding things back and more importantly consumers would be less confused as MS and their naming conventions are dire.

dcmk7

Banned
Proof in hand. Right here.
😂
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

So you must be one of those posters who dismisses articles and opinions that are contrary to your own and chalk it up to fanboyism.

Sad.

It doesn't make all the negative developer feedback for XSS magically go away.

Kagey K

Banned

So you must be one of those posters who dismisses articles and opinions that are contrary to your own and chalk it up to fanboyism.

Sad.

It doesn't make all the negative developer feedback for XSS magically go away.
Taking quotes out of context doesn’t make them true either.

Provide me with the facts that I’m so thoroughly missing, since the burden of proof is on you.

im especially interested in quotes after the PS5 and Series consoles released.

Since this was an old rehash.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Again this would make zero difference on the xbox side as the developers are all making pc versions to lower spec than series xss. And probably 85% of the ps5 games too. I dont understand why people keep saying this.
Please explain how having one more spec when they are alreading coding for 1,435,456 pc variations matters. (Which by the way is much harder than one fixed platform)

If MS just did the smart move and release the Xbox Series X in a discless SKU. And called it Xbox Series X digital.

Developers wouldn't be making comments like this, true gamers wouldn't be concerned about X or Y holding things back and more importantly consumers would be less confused as MS and their naming conventions are dire.
That console would be more expensive for both MS AND gamers. You might have lots of disposal income but others don't. The XSS is clearly not aimed and you or I but I'm glad we have more options. Again Nvidia didn't gimp the 3090 by creating the 3060. MS made the right move.

Again this would make zero difference on the xbox side as the developers are all making pc versions to lower spec than series xss. And probably 85% of the ps5 games too. I dont understand why people keep saying this.
Please explain how having one more spec when they are alreading coding for 1,435,456 pc variations matters. (Which by the way is much harder than one fixed platform)
This so much! And how many PCs have Zen 2 CPUs, SSDs or have full RDNA 2 GPUS? Yet the XSS will be stifling development? MS was thinking big picture. It's why they created a unified development environment.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Taking quotes out of context doesn’t make them true either.

Provide me with the facts that I’m so thoroughly missing, since the burden of proof is on you.

How about you first try and tackle reading the OP and the experience of a game studio CTO and his team's difficulties with the XSS.

Then try and master the search functionality within NeoGaf and find the other multiple other threads about different developers and their experiences about XSS.

Plenty of them.

Then we'll discuss.

dcmk7

Banned
That console would be more expensive for both MS AND gamers. You might have lots of disposal income but others don't. The XSS is clearly not aimed and you or I but I'm glad we have more options. Again Nvidia didn't gimp the 3090 by creating the 3060. MS made the right move.

To be fair, you are glad whatever Microsoft seem to do, even when they brick your system bud.

But with a diskless XSX SKU they could have kept the price around 300 I believe. Not a massive difference. It would be easier to explain the differences too and I'm sure the development community would have appreciated it most of all.

That has always been the benefit to console gaming, at least up until recently, just the one system to optimise for.

Kagey K

Banned

How about you first try and tackle reading the OP and the experience of a game studio CTO and his team's difficulties with the XSS.

Then try and master the search functionality within NeoGaf and find the other multiple other threads about different developers and their experiences about XSS.

Plenty of them.

Then we'll discuss.
You keep fucking making claims and telling those that dispute you it’s their job to find the facts.

That’s not how it works, if you make the claim it’s up to you to prove it. Not the other way around, the person that disputes it, is right until you prove the otherwise.

Get a fucking grip and prove your claims, or shut the fuck up.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That console would be more expensive for both MS AND gamers. You might have lots of disposal income but others don't. The XSS is clearly not aimed and you or I but I'm glad we have more options.
You keep beating on this drum as if one console option were $89 and the other $749 which reeks of disingenuousness... especially in light of them cutting the SSD in half and offering an expensive SSD add-on card.

Still with the same sized and this cheaper SSD and no Blu-Ray discs they should have been able to afford a $349 Digital Xbox Series X (so we are not talking about massively more expensive). The system these cost conscious gamers would have gotten would have lasted far far longer than their XSS will and all gamers would enjoy what a much higher baselines for developers would bring.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
You keep fucking making claims and telling those that dispute you it’s their job to find the facts.

That’s not how it works, if you make the claim it’s up to you to prove it. Not the other way around, the person that disputes it, is right until you prove the otherwise.

Get a ducking grip and prove your claims.
Try reading more.

It helps in these situations.

It's not my claims.. the CTO claims of a games studio. If you bothered reading.

Or any of the other threads.

Last edited:
To be fair, you are glad whatever Microsoft seem to do, even when they brick your system bud.

But with a diskless XSX SKU they could have kept the price around 300 I believe. Not a massive difference. It would be easier to explain the differences too and I'm sure the development community would have appreciated it most of all.

That has always been the benefit to console gaming, at least up until recently, just the one system to optimise for.
Yeah you got me bud. I was thrilled my XSX bricked I was even more thrilled when my PS5 started buzzing. My Xbox was fixed my PS5 still buzzes Yay!

There is no way a discless XSX would cost $300. MS loses money on the XSS now. The developers will adapt. If they can make games on the X1 they can make games on the XSS.

There is nothing to explain with the XSS it's a cheaper entry into gaming that will run all the Xbox games this gen and it has Gamepass and even emulation options. You can't buy a more capable console for less money.

You keep beating on this drum as if one console option were $89 and the other $749 which reeks of disingenuous... especially in light of them cutting the SSD in half and offering an expensive SSD add-on card.

Still with the same sized and this cheaper SSD and no Blu-Ray discs they should have been able to afford a $349 Digital Xbox Series X (so we are not talking about massively more expensive). The system these cost conscious gamers would have gotten would have lasted far far longer than their XSS will and all gamers would enjoy what a much higher baselines for developers would bring.
It's always easy to tell someone they should spend more of their money. Pretty sure you wouldnt appreciate someone telling you to spend more when you don't want to and couldn't afford it. Unlike other platforms you can offload X|S games to an external hard drive and move it back when you are ready to play so there is no need for an expensive memory card.

The XSS will be supported for this entire generation and probably into the next gen too because MS supports their platforms. Remember they don't believe in generations. As THE DUCK THE DUCK said MS games are ported to PC so unless you think every other PC out there outspecs the XSS the developers will survive.

Last edited:
We actually have people disagreeing with actual developers on how to do THEIR job and the challenges they face......

.....simply because they Stan for the brand being criticised.

Pathetic.
Nope just disagreeing with hyperbole about the XSS holding things back which is ridiculous. It's just code for I don't like MS. That is fine but just be straight.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Yeah you got me bud. I was thrilled my XSX bricked I was even more thrilled when my PS5 started buzzing. My Xbox was fixed my PS5 still buzzes Yay!

There is no way a discless XSX would cost $300. MS loses money on the XSS now. The developers will adapt. If they can make games on the X1 they can make games on the XSS.

There is nothing to explain with the XSS it's a cheaper entry into gaming that will run all the Xbox games this gen and it has Gamepass and even emulation options. You can't buy a more capable console for less money.

And anyone concerned with value for money and future proofing their purchase would know that an XSS is not the way to go.

Let's say hypothetically, indulge me with this, XSX outsells the XSS 3 to 1.

At what point do MS stop manufacturing and marketing it, and if so, will they continue to insist that developers release on it? All hypothetical of course, but in those circumstances wouldn't be surprising to see it dropped.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's always easy to tell someone else they should spend more of their money. Pretty sure you wouldnt appreciate someone telling you to spend more when you don't want to and couldn't afford it. Unlike other platforms you can offload X|S games to an external hard drive and move it back when you are ready to play so there is no need for an expensive memory card.
I much rather spend my money wisely and get good return for the money I spend instead of wasting money but wasting a smaller amount.
If you are that tight strapped of cash you should not be spending $249-299 on gaming anyways, it is not responsible period.

You are playing a disingenuous “for the poor gamer” angle while making a sale pitch for the XSS. Sure it is supported, as the games will technically run even with cut effects, reduced or no RT or cut framerate, and lower and lower median dynamic resolution. With a digita only $349-399 XSX all those GamePass gamers would have gotten even better games and developers would have been able to save on development costs, win win for all. But no, must defend MS marketing strategy to conquer the market at all costs.

It really is the most embarrassing part of NeoGaf.

DarkMage619 DarkMage619
The most embarrassing part is people hating on a product they don't want and has no impact on their life. Figured the PS5 would bring joy to people's life but as Concern Concern said "I don't love my favorite console I just hate yours."

I much rather spend my money wisely and get good return for the money I spend instead of wasting money but wasting a smaller amount.
If you are that tight strapped of cash you should not be spending $249-299 on gaming anyways, it is not responsible period.

You are playing a disingenuous “for the poor gamer” angle while making a sale pitch for the XSS. Sure it is supported, as the games will technically run even with cut effects, reduced or no RT or cut framerate, and lower and lower median dynamic resolution. With a digita only $349-399 XSX all those GamePass gamers would have gotten even better games and developers would have been able to save on development costs, win win for all. But no, must defend MS marketing strategy to conquer the market at all costs.
Good for you bro. The fact still remains a person could not get more game console for less money than the XSS and 'poor gamers', casual gamers, kids, and people who just want something they can toss in a bag and travel with have an inexpensive game console that will be supported for years to come. You might not like that but thankfully they didn't ask you. More options are good for gamers and that is what matters.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Nope just disagreeing with hyperbole about the XSS holding things back which is ridiculous. It's just code for I don't like MS. That is fine but just be straight.

shocked curb your enthusiasm GIF

dcmk7

Banned
The most embarrassing part is people hating on a product they don't want and has no impact on their life. Figured the PS5 would bring joy to people's life but as Concern Concern said "I don't love my favorite console I just hate yours."

Who?

Hating a product. No.

I hate that developers find themselves frustrated and having to spend time making compromises for it. So much so that they vent their frustrations publicly.

Rather than getting on with their jobs which is making games they are passionate about.

You making light of their struggles just smacks of ignorance.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
ID Software Principal Engine Programmer, Axel Gneiting, has already answered this question:

"Also "it always scaled on PC" is nonsense. Every AAA game in the past decade or so has their assets made once so they run on min spec. Increasing sample counts a bit here and there for high settings isn't what you could truly have done with more power. Min spec matters."

Top Bottom