• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S Could Present Challenges For Future Titles, Says Chief Technical Officer Of 4A Games

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Let's hope this results in a class action lawsuit against Microsoft. I want this to blow up in their face so bad. It's the only way these greedy corporations will learn.

You can bet that if Microsoft gets away with it, Sony and Nintendo will follow suit.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
The XSS could reach $200. The PS5 and XSX won't. Ever. That extra $100 could pay for Gamepass which would allow that same gamer to have lots of games to play regardless of the better looking PS4 games that cost more money and won't really be that noticeable on a 1080p screen. The XSS provides 'value' more expensive options don't. Not everyone has a 4k TV and loves raytracing.
“Better looking PS4 games”

What do you expect? The PS5 is a next-gen only system. Also games downsample which would make them look even better.

“That extra $100 could pay for Gamepass which would allow that same gamer to have lots of games to play”

Ok Phil, we found your account.

Let's hope this results in a class action lawsuit against Microsoft. I want this to blow up in their face so bad. It's the only way these greedy corporations will learn.

You can bet that if Microsoft gets away with it, Sony and Nintendo will follow suit.
Get away with it? What the heck are you talking about? Since when is providing an affordable gaming console something to get sued over? I hope you are kidding.

“Better looking PS4 games”

What do you expect? The PS5 is a next-gen only system. Also games downsample which would make them look even better.

“That extra $100 could pay for Gamepass which would allow that same gamer to have lots of games to play”

Ok Phil, we found your account.
This is laughable. PS5 has backward compatibility just PS4 games. Hardly a next gen only system. The XSS can already run all the games the X1 could and it will be supported for years to come for prices lower than any other alternative. If you don't like it don't buy it but many do like it and I'm glad there are more options. Pretty lame with the Phil comments like a person can't appreciate something MS does that Sony isn't is a problem.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Microsoft really released a console in 2020 that plays their first “next-gen game” at lows of 648p.

it’s a big ask of Microsoft from developers to take into account their gimped child, especially when dev tools are still not where they should be...

We knew this when the rumors of rumours about this console were discussed, when the specs were revealed and when devs, including some from now MS owned Bethesda commented on it.

Sales dictate the level of support future wise. That's where gamers have a say.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Dropping any of those would require us to do more expensive calculations dropping performance even further. We have a compromise solution right now, but I am not satisfied with it yet.”

we did see games than didnt end up as 1440p. its not like not possible, but resource like manpower, time and money is precious for them, especially those who lack resource like smaller devs.

also he did forsee that the ram setup might pose problem in long term in generation. 10gb surely enough now but half generation later?

FrankWza

If the Nintendo Switch wasn't causing any problems for next gen consoles and games like "The Witcher 3" were appearing there, how is it gonna be the case within the same platform? :pie_eyeroll:
Didn’t it come out 3 years after it launched on the other consoles?

Last edited:

FStubbs

I'm guessing over the next 2 years, you'll gradually see games that technically boot on a Series S but will run like slide shows as they'll be designed for Series X. Then Microsoft will allow "selected games" to be Series X only, to keep up with PS5.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The same people keep posting over and over about how "weak" the xss is as it makes them feel better about thier purchase of the more expensive console, or just hate ms. Meanwhile, 99% of actual xss owners are happy......hmmm.....

Last edited:

FrankWza

I'm guessing over the next 2 years, you'll gradually see games that technically boot on a Series S but will run like slide shows as they'll be designed for Series X. Then Microsoft will allow "selected games" to be Series X only, to keep up with PS5.
We had this discussion recently and someone mentioned they promised it as every game would release on s that releases on x and someone, maybe kylie or slimy speculated class action could come into play if they did that.

Last edited:

I could see it going down like this as well.

At a certain point, the GPU differential will just be too much to account for, IMO.

Then again, they are saying the XsS can pull off 60fps and RT in the Metro: Exodus upgrade, so lets see how it pans out

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
the would probably have been way less of a problem if Microsoft hadn't gimped the ram, the cpu is the same, and scaling back resolution to 1080p would have covered a whole lot of the gpu, and I know some people can't wrap their head around 1080p, I'm fine with it and I still use a 1080p tv (though I also play on a 36", which apparently is super small to today's population)

Any Series S guys around here playing on 4K TV able to comment on how games look like on 4K screens?

I know Series S won't play games in native 4K but is the image quality at least look good enough and not like a layer of vaseline is applied to the TV?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is fine and should have been expected. The XSS will get lower quality versions of XSX optimized games. The gen will not be gimped, the cheapest gamers get the cheapest version of the game. As in least effort being put into giving a fuck about it because the customer will not complain. They chose the low res version of the console and they get downports that get downhacked so they can run on the gimped hardware. The people who think otherwise don't know developers. You can't have a team of talented developers gimp what they are working on in any way. You tell them they can go to max specs, they work over max spec and hope they can get down to max spec as they improve the design. The quote basically says, we optimize for XSX but the XSS is hard and in some cases we might have to make some trade offs to get it to run.

Fucking Called it! Proof from a dev that the XSS is not holding shit back, but is being shit on.

Kumomeme

If the Nintendo Switch wasn't causing any problems for next gen consoles and games like "The Witcher 3" were appearing there, how is it gonna be the case within the same platform? :pie_eyeroll:
that game came out around over 3 years later. different situation.

that game end up run 540p undocked on switch. also people aware of the console's shortcoming so all the massive downgrade is expected.

witcher 3 situation is kind of special since the devs did amazing job. the problem is not all game can have this treatment, not all devs has resources for this. the port even takes 12 month to developed. imagine if the main devs need to develop on multiple port with staggering different specs at same times. Witcher 3 itself take over 3 and half years to develop for. also the game itself might end up need to build up with lowest specs in mind instead.

just because it happened not mean it easy. resources like manpower, time and money is important.

Last edited:

Aenima

Stop chasing 4K with XSS then. I really don't get all that kind of XSS talk, just stick to native FullHD and appropriate textures and you're good to go. The console might be powerful enough today for 1440p or even 4K in few titles, but the consoles' inevitable future is 1080p anyway.
Easier said than done. Most games are cross gen and some only run in Series S at 900p or lower.

I think MS underestimated the market thinking a 500$ console would be a problem to sell. A budget console is nice on paper, but will create some headaches to devs.

CamHostage

I’m still confused why this is an issue. Does this developer not make PC games? Is the the Series S weaker than the low end settings of a PC game? Can this developer not optimize their game?

But as you know with PC games, there's a minimum spec where anything less will either be unplayable or cannot run the game. And this developer is saying that, with the next-generation techniques that they're experimenting with, new software will force a drastic bump of the curve for hardware that falls out of the support range.

Xbox Series S could be right on the edge of falling off that hardware support cliff when such new technology matures, and so if it does fall over, developers will either A. not use those techniques (which could suck for Xbox Series X) or B. replace those techniques somehow when running on XSS with an older tech or something else that it can handle (which would complicate the game development process,) or C. not make it Xbox Series S compatible and either stream it via xCloud or not support the console.

We're not there yet, and potentially this gen may never get there (Xbox SS still has a lot of power despite it being a baby to XSX, and it has some options to work around the problem,) but Xbox's strategy on relying on scaling to make things happen may be a problem when developers take things up an octave.

Last edited:
DarkMage619 DarkMage619 did I get this wrong? You lol’d my post. Didn’t they say every game that releases on x will release on s?
I was laughing at the notion of a class action lawsuit over the XSS. It is total fantasy. The XSS has the same features as the XSX. It may take additional optimization but it can be done. When MS stops making games for the XSS before the end of the generation it's time to sue them. Any evidence MS is on the verge of dropping the XSS?

Easier said than done. Most games are cross gen and some only run in Series S at 900p or lower.

I think MS underestimated the market thinking a 500$ console would be a problem to sell. A budget console is nice on paper, but will create some headaches to devs.
How do budget conscious gamers feel about the XSS? Do they wish it was bigger, more expensive, and more powerful? Do all pc owners want 3090s for $1400? Choice is good for GAMERS.

Last edited:
"Next Gen Performance."
XboxSeriesS_HERO.0.jpg
It is running more games 60 than One X and Pro. It is giving you same SX and PS5 like performance at lower resolution.

Devs will have to work bit harder to optimised the game for it. They want to port easily using easy brute force of the hardware which wont work with Series S.

Clear case of lazy devs.

FrankWza

I was laughing at the notion of a class action lawsuit over the XSS. It is total fantasy. The XSS has the same features as the XSX. It may take additional optimization but it can be done. When MS stops making games for the XSS before the end of the generation it's time to sue them. Any evidence MS is on the verge of dropping the XSS?
They promised to release every series x game on series s. So, that’s where someone could start a lawsuit. Lawsuits are started for less. The post I replied to said they make start to release games exclusively for x. In this case, they would be better off dropping it completely since they already promised the s would play every release.

They promised to release every series x game on series s. So, that’s where someone could start a lawsuit. Lawsuits are started for less. The post I replied to said they make start to release games exclusively for x. In this case, they would be better off dropping it completely since they already promised the s would play every release.
The XSS will get dropped at the end of the generation when new consoles are out. Even after that expect the XSS and XSX to continue to get cross gen support just like this generation. If MS didn't drop the X1 a console that obviously weaker than the XSS dropping the XSS is pure fantasy. Hold off on calling your lawyer for now Frank. If there is an Xbox conspiracy you'll be the first to report it I'm certain.

FrankWza

The XSS will get dropped at the end of the generation when new consoles are out. Even after that expect the XSS and XSX to continue to get cross gen support just like this generation. If MS didn't drop the X1 a console that obviously weaker than the XSS dropping the XSS is pure fantasy. Hold off on calling your lawyer for now Frank. If there is an Xbox conspiracy you'll be the first to report it I'm certain.
Did I say it would happen? I said that’s the speculation. There’s no conspiracy. They made a promise and they can keep it or not. I actually prefer if they keep it around all gen because I find it amusing watching them teetering on keeping their promise or hindering their main console. ;)

FStubbs

the would probably have been way less of a problem if Microsoft hadn't gimped the ram, the cpu is the same, and scaling back resolution to 1080p would have covered a whole lot of the gpu, and I know some people can't wrap their head around 1080p, I'm fine with it and I still use a 1080p tv (though I also play on a 36", which apparently is super small to today's population)
I play on a 42" screen. I don't understand how people fit these 70" screens in their homes - which is what you'd need for 4K to make a difference, unless you're sitting like a foot away from the screen.

Did I say it would happen? I said that’s the speculation. There’s no conspiracy. They made a promise and they can keep it or not. I actually prefer if they keep it around all gen because I find it amusing watching them teetering on keeping their promise or hindering their main console. ;)
Odd speculation. Does MS have a history of dropping their consoles early? I guess you can say the original Xbox but since then when have they ended support of a console early? People on this very forum attacked MS for continuing to support the X1 and not believing in generations.

With regards to hindering a console the only console that will have compromises will be the XSS and that is by design. You can't point to one title on the XSX that had its features reduced because of the XSS. That would be another conspiracy. Of course you never do that though right Frank? :messenger_winking:

FrankWza

Odd speculation. Does MS have a history of dropping their consoles early? I guess you can say the original Xbox but since then when have they ended support of a console early? People on this very forum attacked MS for continuing to support the X1 and not believing in generations.

With regards to hindering a console the only console that will have compromises will be the XSS and that is by design. You can't point to one title on the XSX that had its features reduced because of the XSS. That would be another conspiracy. Of course you never do that though right Frank? :messenger_winking:
You don’t read the posts I replied to and what was being discussed I guess because you’re jumping around as usual trying to make something out what they said officially into a conspiracy. See how the thread title has the word FUTURE in it? Ok. So, if...IF they decided to go back on their promise, which was to release every game the x will have on s, they would be better off just discontinuing it. That’s the lesser of 2 backlashes. Have they ever stopped supporting a console before? No. Have the ever released 2 specs at the same time? No. So don’t pretend like their history will dictate what they’re going to do. They backed themselves into a corner by making the promise. They’re damned either way and possibly a 3rd way if it is gimping series x.

Fucking hope not. Hopefully the one and only half-step next gen console.

You don’t read the posts I replied to and what was being discussed I guess because you’re jumping around as usual trying to make something out what they said officially into a conspiracy. See how the thread title has the word FUTURE in it? Ok. So, if...IF they decided to go back on their promise, which was to release every game the x will have on s, they would be better off just discontinuing it. That’s the lesser of 2 backlashes. Have they ever stopped supporting a console before? No. Have the ever released 2 specs at the same time? No. So don’t pretend like their history will dictate what they’re going to do. They backed themselves into a corner by making the promise. They’re damned either way and possibly a 3rd way if it is gimping series x.
You are the one talking about them potentially dropping a console despite the fact there is no historical evidence that has happened before. You are also making a leap that the XSS will somehow hold the XSX back again with no evidence. The developer this thread is about made no mention on how the XSX was being hurt by the XSS yet you still managed to draw that connection.

I'm aware you don't like the Xbox and of course that's fine but like the comer you backed yourself into with regards to your previous comments on Gamepass why not just enjoy your PS5 and watch as all of your Xbox conspiracies come to pass. MS will have their 'pound of flesh' like you said before right? At least you'll be safe. :messenger_grinning:

Blond

Banned
Get away with it? What the heck are you talking about? Since when is providing an affordable gaming console something to get sued over? I hope you are kidding.

This is laughable. PS5 has backward compatibility just PS4 games. Hardly a next gen only system. The XSS can already run all the games the X1 could and it will be supported for years to come for prices lower than any other alternative. If you don't like it don't buy it but many do like it and I'm glad there are more options. Pretty lame with the Phil comments like a person can't appreciate something MS does that Sony isn't is a problem.
Lol. How can it run those games without a disc drive exactly? Buying those games again? And you know what I meant, the SS is barely an upgrade over the 1X and a discless SX would’ve been a better option, point blank. As it stands now the SS is just an (worse) 1X with less options (no disc, no 4K disc playback, uglier than a 1X, basically a cable box disguised as a game console since it’s used to plug Gamepass, used 1X sell for higher prices than a new SS but hey, you have an SSD with HALF the storage space with proprietary SSDs that if you want to expand put you in the range of a SX).

FrankWza

You are the one talking about them potentially dropping a console
I am? I guess you’re only fixated on my comments, as usual.
You are also making a leap that the XSS will somehow hold the XSX back again with no evidence
see post above of immortals
The developer this thread is about made no mention on how the XSX was being hurt by the XSS yet you still managed to draw that connection.
how do you not come to that conclusion? The titles are being developed for x as the lead system on that platform.
ike the comer you backed yourself into with regards to your previous comments on Gamepass
What corner was that? The one where it’s constantly being given away and we’re never told how many of their 18 million users are paying full price? Or when I said it was $1 a month for 3 years but it’s actually $1 TOTAL for 3 years?
as all of your Xbox conspiracies come to pass.
more boogeyman talk.

Riky

$MSFT
Any Series S guys around here playing on 4K TV able to comment on how games look like on 4K screens?

I know Series S won't play games in native 4K but is the image quality at least look good enough and not like a layer of vaseline is applied to the TV?

I normally play mine on a 1080p set but I've tried it on a 4K HDR screen and it's fine, comparable with my PS4 Pro but with better framerates.

The only time you really notice is when you try some of the 120hz modes like Dirt 5, then it's obvious but you're getting 120fps so if it bothers you go back to 60hz.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol. How can it run those games without a disc drive exactly? Buying those games again? And you know what I meant, the SS is barely an upgrade over the 1X and a discless SX would’ve been a better option, point blank. As it stands now the SS is just an (worse) 1X with less options (no disc, no 4K disc playback, uglier than a 1X, basically a cable box disguised as a game console since it’s used to plug Gamepass, used 1X sell for higher prices than a new SS but hey, you have an SSD with HALF the storage space with proprietary SSDs that if you want to expand put you in the range of a SX).
I think an 8 tflops SX for $299 wouldve been a far better sell. It wouldve been far more comparable to the PS5 at 10 tflops for $399 and 12 tflops XSX at $499. I admire MS wanting to reach out to a segment of a the population that cant afford fancy new consoles, but I hate how they went about giving them a shitty console instead. The whole point is to give everyone a next gen experience, but now these poor consumers are being treated as second class citizens which is utterly shameful.

Yes, they would need to have taken a bigger loss but I think thats what the console business is. The PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 all sold for a massive loss back when these companies were worth a fraction of what they are now. Especially when it comes to cash on hand. they can easily take a bigger loss. Both of them.

Last edited:
All XSS games can be off loaded to an external drive. That is a feature more expensive consoles don't offer yet the XSS is barely the upgrade? Please. If you honestly think that the X1 is a better value than the XSS you are clearly operating in some sort of alternate reality.

more boogeyman talk.
Exactly. You see sinister motives in everything MS does. Other people just play the games they like to play. When the XSS actually holds back the XSX and when Gamepass prices skyrocket let me know. Until then it's just more typical anti Xbox commentary from you.

I think an 8 tflops SX for $299 wouldve been a far better sell. It wouldve been far more comparable to the PS5 at 10 tflops for $399 and 12 tflops XSX at $499. I admire MS wanting to reach out to a segment of a the population that cant afford fancy new consoles, but I hate how they went about giving them a shitty console instead. The whole point is to give everyone a next gen experience, but now these poor consumers are being treated as second class citizens which is utterly shameful.

Yes, they would need to have taken a bigger loss but I think thats what the console business is. The PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 all sold for a massive loss back when these companies were worth a fraction of what they are now. Especially when it comes to cash on hand. they can easily take a bigger loss. Both of them.

People keep making this comment like MS could release a more powerful cheaper console. The XSS is a fantastic console for the market it targets. MS still take a loss on every one they make so it's clear people have no idea how much these devices actually cost to design and build. Please give me one console that is more powerful and costs less. I'm pretty sure you can't. You get fantastic value for what the XSS costs 2nd class citizens indeed. Sure MS could build a system with a drive and a more powerful GPU, and RAM but... wait... they DID! If you want more power there is an option for you.

The thing that is the most hilarious is the people complaining are not the people who actually own the system but people tossing stones from the sidelines. If you are a PlayStation 5 only owner you are the LEAST affected by what MS has done with this console and at this point the gamers affected most are the people who own it. Those owners are widely happy with the device. I wonder what that means...

Blond

Banned
All XSS games can be off loaded to an external drive. That is a feature more expensive consoles don't offer yet the XSS is barely the upgrade? Please. If you honestly think that the X1 is a better value than the XSS you are clearly operating in some sort of alternate reality.

Exactly. You see sinister motives in everything MS does. Other people just play the games they like to play. When the XSS actually holds back the XSX and when Gamepass prices skyrocket let me know. Until then it's just more typical anti Xbox commentary from you.

People keep making this comment like MS could release a more powerful cheaper console. The XSS is a fantastic console for the market it targets. MS still take a loss on every one they make so it's clear people have no idea how much these devices actually cost to design and build. Please give me one console that is more powerful and costs less. I'm pretty sure you can't. You get fantastic value for what the XSS costs 2nd class citizens indeed. Sure MS could build a system with a drive and a more powerful GPU, and RAM but... wait... they DID! If you want more power there is an option for you.

The thing that is the most hilarious is the people complaining are not the people who actually own the system but people tossing stones from the sidelines. If you are a PlayStation 5 only owner you are the LEAST affected by what MS has done with this console and at this point the gamers affected most are the people who own it. Those owners are widely happy with the device. I wonder what that means...
Cool, a feature that’s pretty much confirmed coming in a patch is now the reason a Mcvalue console is superior to the competition. If we’re talking features, then yes I believe the 1X was a better value to the point that as we speak people are buying USED 1Xs for 350-400 on eBay and at GameStop. Cool, the Series S can do Ray tracing at 800p, yay! Yet a few post ago you complained saying it’s a great value because of said extra graphic features not being worth it because people who buy it don’t care about those things till you can use it in an argument lol

NickFire

But as you know with PC games, there's a minimum spec where anything less will either be unplayable or cannot run the game. And this developer is saying that, with the next-generation techniques that they're experimenting with, new software will force a drastic bump of the curve for hardware that falls out of the support range.

Xbox Series S could be right on the edge of falling off that hardware support cliff when such new technology matures, and so if it does fall over, developers will either A. not use those techniques (which could suck for Xbox Series X) or B. replace those techniques somehow when running on XSS with an older tech or something else that it can handle (which would complicate the game development process,) or C. not make it Xbox Series S compatible and either stream it via xCloud or not support the console.

We're not there yet, and potentially this gen may never get there (Xbox SS still has a lot of power despite it being a baby to XSX, and it has some options to work around the problem,) but Xbox's strategy on relying on scaling to make things happen may be a problem when developers take things up an octave.
I really don't understand how people even challenge this simple concept. Arguing weaker tech won't hold back ground up development for twice as powerful tech, literally and completely ignores that every game will have a floor that needs to be lower than it would be without the weaker tech. I somewhat understand people pointing out that PC's have wide variables in tech, but all PC games have a floor, and console development always had the luxury of coding directly to a specific machine that is now lost as well.

In my opinion, its like 2020 and 2021 have been a replay of 2013/2014. Major difference is people replaced "power of the cloud" with optimized or resolution when defending weaker tech choices.

Cool, a feature that’s pretty much confirmed coming in a patch is now the reason a Mcvalue console is superior to the competition. If we’re talking features, then yes I believe the 1X was a better value to the point that as we speak people are buying USED 1Xs for 350-400 on eBay and at GameStop. Cool, the Series S can do Ray tracing at 800p, yay! Yet a few post ago you complained saying it’s a great value because of said extra graphic features not being worth it because people who buy it don’t care about those things till you can use it in an argument lol
Nope. The XSS has those drive off loading features NOW. The XSS has features developers can use if they choose to but it is a system designed around compromises. Can you name ANY games on X1 or PS4 with raytracing AT ALL? The XSS is just as much of a next gen console as the PS5 and XSX. It doesn't have the same graphical capabilities. Who cares what an X1 costs on eBay the XSS isn't even widely available yet. At the end of the day the XSS will ALWAYS be more affordable than any other console and that is good for the people who are looking to save some money.

I really don't understand how people even challenge this simple concept. Arguing weaker tech won't hold back ground up development for twice as powerful tech, literally and completely ignores that every game will have a floor that needs to be lower than it would be without the weaker tech. I somewhat understand people pointing out that PC's have wide variables in tech, but all PC games have a floor, and console development always had the luxury of coding directly to a specific machine that is now lost as well.

In my opinion, its like 2020 and 2021 have been a replay of 2013/2014. Major difference is people replaced "power of the cloud" with optimized or resolution when defending weaker tech choices.
Are you arguing the XSS is a lower floor than the low end PCs there games will also work on? Development on the XSS takes into account PC development. You think MS designed a console where you can develop a PC version yet the XSS would not be possible? Do you have any evidence that the XSS has 'held back' any game? The XSS has the same CPU and features as the XSX. Again this interview doesn't make that claim yet you are.

NickFire

Nope. The XSS has those drive off loading features NOW. The XSS has features developers can use if they choose to but it is a system designed around compromises. Can you name ANY games on X1 or PS4 with raytracing AT ALL? The XSS is just as much of a next gen console as the PS5 and XSX. It doesn't have the same graphical capabilities. Who cares what an X1 costs on eBay the XSS isn't even widely available yet. At the end of the day the XSS will ALWAYS be more affordable than any other console and that is good for the people who are looking to save some money.

Are you arguing the XSS is a lower floor than the low end PCs there games will also work on? Development on the XSS takes into account PC development. You think MS designed a console where you can develop a PC version yet the XSS would not be possible? Do you have any evidence that the XSS has 'held back' any game? The XSS has the same CPU and features as the XSX. Again this interview doesn't make that claim yet you are.
If you want to argue that low end pc's will stifle ambition, then by all means please do. And I will almost certainly agree with you unless you define low end PC's to be something that costs 2000 to build. But your demand for receipts is ridiculous. Every game being developed for XSX is being specifically designed to also run on the weaker XSS. The only way to provide a receipt would be if MS allowed a game to release on XSX only, which will not happen. It does not change the FACT that the floor will always be lower than it would have if XsX was the only sku.

If you want to argue that low end pc's will stifle ambition, then by all means please do. And I will almost certainly agree with you unless you define low end PC's to be something that costs 2000 to build. But your demand for receipts is ridiculous. Every game being developed for XSX is being specifically designed to also run on the weaker XSS. The only way to provide a receipt would be if MS allowed a game to release on XSX only, which will not happen. It does not change the FACT that the floor will always be lower than it would have if XsX was the only sku.
But there are tons of PCs with lower specs than the XSX. Surely you wouldn't argue that none of those machines should get new games would you? The XSS has the same features as the XSX. If developers use those features they should be able to makes gsmes that LOOK worse but run similarly. Not everyone can buy a high end PC or console but they should be able to game too. When you can prove the XSS has prevented a game from coming out you have no real argument aside from not wanting people with less means to be able to game too. MS should be available to support any developer who is having issues creating XSS versions of games especially with a unified development environment.

Clarissa

Banned
Imagine in year 2027 when we have the PS 6 and Xbox Series X-2 and developers still have to cater for the Series S until at least 2029 because its profitable to release cross-gen games.

NickFire

But there are tons of PCs with lower specs than the XSX. Surely you wouldn't argue that none of those machines should get new games would you? The XSS has the same features as the XSX. If developers use those features they should be able to makes gsmes that LOOK worse but run similarly. Not everyone can buy a high end PC or console but they should be able to game too. When you can prove the XSS has prevented a game from coming out you have no real argument aside from not wanting people with less means to be able to game too. MS should be available to support any developer who is having issues creating XSS versions of games especially with a unified development environment.
I don't care a smidgen if they get new games or not, nor do I care for deflection like this. Weaker hardware stifles ambition. Dance, jump, spin, regurgitate word salads all day long. Weaker hardware stifles ambition. No amount of marketing talk changes that weaker hardware stifles ambition. Which is my only point.

Top Bottom