• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S Could Present Challenges For Future Titles, Says Chief Technical Officer Of 4A Games

svbarnard

Banned
If you talk about gamers wanting something portable and with tons of games you know they have a better option than that called Switch once you also factor in the gaming library, right?

It does not matter that it is somewhat powerful and somewhat cheap (it is still well above $200, stop the hard sell on how cheap it is :p), it does not change that while this is what MS wants to sell that it becomes a good idea or good for the platform.

This option is actually hurting the Xbox platform and lowers the baseline for titles coming to my XSX (even the exclusive ones) unless I need to hope that those devs start letting performance drop in the 20’s FPS range and resolution around 720p or less on XSS not to limit the XSX potential.
"This option is actually hurting the Xbox platform and lowers the baseline for titles coming to my XSX (even the exclusive ones) unless I need to hope that those devs start letting performance drop in the 20’s FPS range and resolution around 720p or less on XSS not to limit the XSX potential."

Honestly did you know they were able to Port Doom eternal to the Nintendo switch? Well if they can make a game like that run on the tiny little wimpy Nintendo switch, I think the Xbox series S will be fine in the long run, assuming they do 1080p 30fps, but hey that's fine we've been playing games on Xbox One at 1080p 30fps for several years now and no one's been complaining.

And here's the thing about that, Believe it or not 1080p on a 4K screen looks fine in fact it may even look a little bit sharper than 1080p on a native 1080p screen. So it kind of works out perfectly, say you have a 4K TV but you bought the Xbox SS that only plays 1080p games at 30fps, well 1080p looks fine on a 4K TV, so nothing changes there really, I mean I'm playing on my Xbox One on a cheap 4K TV at 1080p and I can't tell a difference it looks fine to me, but with the Xbox SS I should get some next-gen graphics with Ray tracing to boot, at 1080p 30fps, now don't get me wrong I would love 120fps but I'm not a rich man.

p.s. I haven't been entirely honest with you yes I am playing on the original Xbox One and my TV is a cheap 4K 60 hz TCL that I got on sale for $289 a couple of years ago, but in a couple of years I intend to get the Xbox series X and also grab one of TCL's higher priced models that has a 120hz screen. So I'm not actually intending to get the Xbox series S. I'm actually in the camp that wishes Microsoft never made it.

Top Bottom