• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S "Brilliantly Designed Machine"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmk7

Banned
We got introduced to the console as a machine that would match the Series X but simply in 1440p

That's the important bit.. it was sold to be the same experience.

Did that influence your decision to get the XSS? what made you ultimately decide to return it for a XSX?

But I am in general agreement marketing was bad for it, and like you say it's pretty much non-existant now.

Again, before Darkmagewhatever comes at me, I think the Series S is a cool

He's just a troll don't worry about him. If you're not speaking in glowing terms about MS he will attack users.

Good to see another XSX user on the board.

Last edited:

elliot5

Did that influence your decision to get the XSS? what made you ultimately decide to return it for a XSX?

But I am in general agreement marketing was bad for it, and like you say it's pretty much non-existant now.
They have been going pretty hard on the Series S in the UK with past marketing campaigns and ads.

Even today, with the partnership with England's football team.

and featured in the "It's All There" all access video

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

I’ve been playing Psychonauts 2 on my olde Xbox One X. That former best in class console got old fast. The loading times are annoying and the UI of the console itself is slow and sluggish even compared to Switch.

So I just ordered a Series S. Everyone needs to stop talking smack about it now because it will hurt My Feelings. I’ve totally made the right choice.

Anyway, my reasoning for going with the S was:
  • X isn’t available anywhere anyway.
  • I play on a 43 inch screen and 4k offers nothing to me.
  • Ray tracing often seems to be more trouble than it’s worth for PS5 and Series X and we’re not entering the promised land until the mid gen updates arrive. I’m good with the S for the first half of this generation.
  • Series S is just a damn fine looking console.

I’ve been playing Psychonauts 2 on my olde Xbox One X. That former best in class console got old fast. The loading times are annoying and the UI of the console itself is slow and sluggish even compared to Switch.

So I just ordered a Series S. Everyone needs to stop talking smack about it now because it will hurt My Feelings. I’ve totally made the right choice.

• Ray tracing often seems to be more trouble than it’s worth for PS5 and Series X and we’re not entering the promised land until the mid gen updates arrive. I’m good with the S for the first half of this generation.
Just put dcmk7 on ignore and you'll be fine.

He's just a troll don't worry about him. If you're not speaking in glowing terms about MS he will attack users.

Series S was actually the one I wanted more before release. Console wise I always play more on PS/Nintendo just due to the majority of my tastes fitting those consoles better so I was like Oh perfect I can get a Series S for $300 and have a cheap machine to play stuff like Halo and Forza on my tv and some game pass stuff. I figured I had a PC and would just upgrade my GPU and use the Series S on my tv. Plus the Series S is my favorite console from a design standpoint, and I think is the best looking console since the PS3 Slim.

The reason I returned it for the Series X was actually Forza Horizon 4/MCC and the GPU shortage. I played them and was disappointed by the resolution compared to what I was used to (Xbox One X/PC@1440/60), and I just sort of realized that the Series S was not where I wanted to play Infinite or the new Forza. I definitely made the right choice when Infinite was 1080p/60 or 720/120, and the fact that FH5 is 1080/30 which I'm not interested in going back to.

And yeah, I would ignore him but he gives me a chuckle sometimes.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I bought the PS3 at launch for over $600. It was hardly a 'value'
Sold for $599, BoM of $800… one of the best Blu-Ray players out there, user replaceable (cheaper) HDD, HDD in every console, launch model had a lot of titles supported in BC mode, lots of media ports, HDMI built in (Xbox 360 did not at the time), built-in Ethernet and WiFi (Xbox 360’s WIFi dongle was sold for about $60), and SACD playback…

No value at all. That is it if ai wanted to take your “best value” schtick too seriously… sure, what value?

dcmk7

Banned
Sold for $599, BoM of $800… one of the best Blu-Ray players out there, user replaceable (cheaper) HDD, HDD in every console, launch model had a lot of titles supported in BC mode, lots of media ports, HDMI built in (Xbox 360 did not at the time), built-in Ethernet and WiFi (Xbox 360’s WIFi dongle was sold for about $60), and SACD playback…

No value at all. That is it if ai wanted to take your “best value” schtick too seriously… sure, what value?

Quite a lot of people people initially bought it as a BluRay player IIRC.

Had the BC compatibility aspect too, was jammed back with interesting stuff.

Forgot that X360 had an SKU without a HDD. Looking back it was good to see that Sony went all in with that and drove that generation of consoles forwards with a good baseline.

Last edited:
Yep, and you agreed with me.. no amount of backtracking will change his or your words on the matter. Just deal with it better maybe..?

Ultimately he was in no position to say what he said.. But he said he it anyway.

Hence why it was misleading to many people..

You have only changed your tune once you realised you was casting MS in a bad light. It's really weird behaviour. Sad!
Did you reverse your statement calling Jason Ronald a liar? If so then we agree.

The guy calling MS and their engineers liars is NOT the troll right? The guy saying the XSS does not provide the same experience but can't show just ONE feature the system is missing is NOT the troll right? The guy calling out MS because the XSS has a 3rd party game that doesn't have a feature as problem, but when Returnal a Sony 1st party game lacks features it's fine. That guy is NOT the troll? Keep telling jokes man. Still spouting nonsense and we still don't agree.

They have been going pretty hard on the Series S in the UK with past marketing campaigns and ads.

Even today, with the partnership with England's football team.

and featured in the "It's All There" all access video

Yup MS isn't marketing the XSS AT ALL! Those lying liars!!!!

You mean to tell me that the X1X isn't the better gaming experience over the XSS despite what people who don't know what they are talking about say? I am shocked at this news.

Wait so because Sony released an over engineered and overpriced console back in 2006, MS's $300 console released in 2020 isn't a good value? What kinda logic is that man? The X360 had better looking games despite releasing a year earlier. Remember how the X1 was attacked for not focusing on gaming? All the features you mentioned on the PS3 didn't make games look or run better. I think the X360 was clearly a better value than the PS3 and seeing how the 360 outsold the PS3 in the US despite Sony's years of market dominance, gaming fans agreed with me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wait so because Sony released an over engineered and overpriced console back in 2006, MS's $300 console released in 2020 isn't a good value? What kinda logic is that man? The X360 had better looking games despite releasing a year earlier. Remember how the X1 was attacked for not focusing on gaming? All the features you mentioned on the PS3 didn't make games look or run better. I think the X360 was clearly a better value than the PS3 and seeing how the 360 outsold the PS3 in the US despite Sony's years of market dominance, gaming fans agreed with me.
Are you calling the XSS an under engineered device they cut down just to hit $299?

C’mon man… see this is what I was saying. Nothing Sony can do is right, always something you can nitpick, nothing MS does is wrong, always something you hail as saving grace :rolleyes:.
Even with a 1.5 years head start alone in the market they were still matched or passed, so gamers agreed with Sony I guess? Or U.S. gamers have better taste?

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
The guy calling MS and their engineers liars is NOT the troll right? The guy saying the XSS does not provide the same experience but can't show just ONE

Ya think all of the XSX and XSS version of games are the same?

They aren't. Far from it.

Even first party studios can't get that parity.

That's why it's weird as hell Jason Ronald claimed the console was going do that. You even said, he had no idea what developers were going to do or the subsequent technical limitations they would be faced with.

It's a misleading statement he made.

And all the evidence you need is with each and every game that has released with missing modes and next gen features between the two versions.

Recent history shows MS listen to gamers who hold them to account, which is a good thing. Undoubtedly.
They learn absolutely nothing from you since you defend their price rises, Kinect and well all their mistakes.

Last edited:

That's why it's weird as hell Jason Ronald claimed the console was going do that. You even said, he had no idea what developers were going to do or the subsequent technical limitations they would be faced with.

And all the evidence you need is with each and every game that has released with missing modes and next gen features between the two versions.
5lb1li.jpg

Riky

$MSFT

Welcome.

The quality of life benefits over One X are quite stark, you'll never want to go back. The framerate and loading time improvements are quite a revelation and on a 43" set you'll be fine.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Recent history shows MS listen to gamers who hold them to account, which is a good thing. Undoubtedly.
They learn absolutely nothing from you since you defend their price rises, Kinect and well all their mistakes.

Lets go with it's misleading, along with hundreds of claims from Sony, MS and every other game system manufacturer ever, including this gen. It's par for the course on all hardware, why are you continuing to argue and hold the Series S and MS to a different standard?
Did you write about how the PS4 pro misrepresented itself as a 4k machine? Are you writing each day about the injustice of the PS5 and Series X marketing being "misleading"?

dcmk7

Banned
Lets go with it's misleading, along with hundreds of claims from Sony, MS and every other game system manufacturer ever, including this gen. It's par for the course on all hardware, why are you continuing to argue and hold the Series S and MS to a different standard?
Did you write about how the PS4 pro misrepresented itself as a 4k machine? Are you writing each day about the injustice of the PS5 and Series X marketing being "misleading"?

Like I said earlier.. the point I was making is regarding the missing features in games between XSS and XSX versions. The differences contradict the claims made in marketing pieces.

The PS4 Pro, ran PS4 games at a higher resolution and/or framerate..

Were there any actual modes missing? Don't recall that.

Lets go with it's misleading

It was misleading, .. you will find posts of mine about how I find XSX and PS5 resolution subpar.. the point is about Jason Ronald's claims about the XSS.

Not really interested in moving goalposts.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Like I said earlier.. the point I was making is regarding the missing features in games between XSS and XSX versions. The differences contradict the claims made in marketing prices.

There are loads of visual effect differences between PS4 and PS4 Pro.
That's all the difference it comes down to with Series X and S as 99% of the games are one file and you use the same save on both.
So the only differences are visual.
Ray tracing is just another visual effect at the end of the day, all the gameplay is intact.

Are you calling the XSS an under engineered device they cut down just to hit $299?

C’mon man… see this is what I was saying. Nothing Sony can do is right, always something you can nitpick, nothing MS does is wrong, always something you hail as saving grace :rolleyes:.
Even with a 1.5 years head start alone in the market they were still matched or passed, so gamers agreed with Sony I guess? Or U.S. gamers have better taste?
The XSS is NOT the X1. It has the same features as the XSX. I am able to give credit when it is due. MS of 2013 is not the same as MS of 2021 perhaps you didn't notice.

I did not like the X1. I didn't like Kinect and I didn't like GDDR3 RAM and the cut down GPU. I did not buy the X1. The PS4 was the more powerful device and the better value seeing how it was more powerful and cheaper. I bought the PS4 at launch.

I specifically mentioned the US for the X360 success. It was never a big contender outside of N. America but before Xbox Sony was the #1 player in town and in only one generation MS outsold the Gamecube and beat the PS3 at home in generation two. That is pretty darn good. It was partially because the X360 was the better 'VALUE'.

Like I said earlier.. the point I was making is regarding the missing features in games between XSS and XSX versions. The differences contradict the claims made in marketing pieces.

It was misleading, .. you will find posts of mine about how I find XSX and PS5 resolution subpar.. the point is about Jason Ronald's claims about the XSS.

Not really interested in moving goalposts.
When did Jason Ronald mention specific games? I thought he was talking about the system. He claimed the XSS system had the same features as the XSX. You've continued to say he was lying and still have not provided one feature he lied about.

There are loads of visual effect differences between PS4 and PS4 Pro.
That's all the difference it comes down to with Series X and S as 99% of the games are one file and you use the same save on both.
So the only differences are visual.
Ray tracing is just another visual effect at the end of the day, all the gameplay is intact.
Shhhhh he is pushing an imaginary narrative. MS must be held to account while other companies get a pass for... reasons.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
When did Jason Ronald mention specific games? I thought he was talking about the system

When he mentioned that XSS users will be getting the same next gen experience just at a reduced rendering resolution.

Why would games be exempt from that? It's the whole entire point of the hardware. Your delusion is tiresome.

You agreed with me earlier, and now you're furiously backtracking and tieing yourself up in knots, strange as hell.

Like I said earlier, MS learns and gets better from people who call them out. They learn nothing from users like you

Shhhhh he is pushing an imaginary narrative.

That you agreed with earlier :messenger_grinning_smiling:. So desperate.

Interestingly he listed no games with missing modes.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
I didn't like Kinect
Sad to see you lying... again. How many times now?

I am curious why so many people want MS to remove the Kinect camera. Did you all feel the same way about the Wii and WiiU? Would those consoles be better if Nintendo didn't have any motion controls for their games?

I am not fond of the higher price but I do understand that MS is at least trying to innovate by making sure that their camera accessory is with every box so that any game that uses the camera would not have any potential customers left out. The camera is just another way to try to immerse gamers into the games we play. Not all games will make use of the camera the same way. I highly doubt Halo or Gears will come out requiring camera controls only. Did you not see the Xbox One controller? Do you not think that the vast majority of games will use it? Outside of the price I don't see the issue.

The Dark One

They will ditch kinect right after Nintendo ditches their tablet on the Wii U as in never. The Kinect is the only thing that makes the X1 stand apart from the PS4. Are you guys really saying you are willing to pay the same for a weaker PS4? I highly doubt it.

They need to keep kinect but eat the cost, add more bonuses to X Live, add in some pack in titles or all/some of the above. Them dropping kinect would cost them so much more since they already spent tons in R&D. Kinect isn't going anywhere.

The Dark One

Why do you pretend you have been critical of MS in the past?

Is that why you're backtracking so much, when we had agreed on the misleading marketing, since you don't want cast MS in a bad light? Interesting:pie_thinking:

Last edited:
When he mentioned that XSS users will be getting the same next gen experience just at a reduced rendering resolution.

Why would games be exempt from that? It's the whole entire point of the hardware. Your delusion is tiresome.

You agreed with me earlier, and now you're furiously backtracking and tieing yourself up in knots, strange as hell.

Like I said earlier, MS learns and gets better from people who call them out. They learn nothing from users like you

That you agreed with earlier :messenger_grinning_smiling:. So desperate.

Interestingly he listed no games with missing modes.
Dude you are in some sort of bizzaro world. I never agreed with you. You and your friends were the only ones calling MS liars. I NEVER joined you in that foolishness. Jason Ronald is not responsible for the features developers use on the hardware. That is up to the developers. You still cannot list one feature the XSS is missing the XSX has.

Maybe Sony will get better once you are willing to call them out after releasing a game that isn't 4k and lacks raytracing. They are liars according to your standard. They can't even blame the omissions on multi-platform development. I can't wait to read your thread taking them to task. 😉

Sad to see you lying... again. How many times now?
Why do you pretend you have been critical of MS in the past?
Is that why you're backtracking so much, when we had agreed on the misleading marketing, since you don't want cast MS in a bad light? Interesting:pie_thinking:
You have posted that before. Why not simply quote where I said I bought it? I bet I know why cause I never said it. It is just another distraction from the usual nonsense you post. I didn't like Kinect and I didn't buy an X1. I spoke with my wallet. Nice try changing the subject from your foolishness though 😁 I can't blame you I'd do that too if I had no legitimate argument.

Selective memory.

Ray Tracing on Crysis Remastered was absent on PS4 but there on PS4 Pro.
Does this mean Sony lied!? I sure these guys will create a thread immediately calling them to task. I can't wait!

Last edited:
Looks like you didn't provide that list of missing XSS features but you now acknowledge that it is well designed. I suppose that's some progress. You can't go point through point against my arguments because I am right. You have not provided a shred of evidence that we should take your horrible advice about buying the X1X over the XSS or explained why you as a guy who doesn't have the XSS should be listened to over the 'shill' you called out who actually DOES have the console. Just accept you don't know what you are talking about and enjoy whatever console you have. The XSS is well designed and a perfect device for it's target audience. Just because you and Sony fans dislike it is meaningless.
Sorry, not going to do the research AGAIN just because you can't be bothered.

dcmk7

Banned
Dude you are in some sort of bizzaro world. I never agreed with you. You and your friends were the only ones calling MS liars. I NEVER joined you in that foolishness. Jason Ronald is not responsible for the features developers use on the hardware. That is up to the developers. You still cannot list one feature the XSS is missing the XSX has.

Maybe Sony will get better once you are willing to call them out after releasing a game that isn't 4k and lacks raytracing. They are liars according to your standard. They can't even blame the omissions on multi-platform development. I can't wait to read your thread taking them to task. 😉

You have posted that before. Why not simply quote where I said I bought it? I bet I know why cause I never said it. It is just another distraction from the usual nonsense you post. I didn't like Kinect and I didn't buy an X1. I spoke with my wallet. Nice try changing the subject from your foolishness though 😁 I can't blame you I'd do that too if I had no legitimate argument.
Weird,

You actually said you didn't like Kinect but went to great lengths to talk positively about it.

But it does prove my point that you are unable to call MS out on anything.

And changing subject from Jason Ronald's misleading claim? nah, he said what he said, it's in a video dude. Can deny all day, but majority who aren't deluded can see what he said.

Even captioned it for you, where was your evidence to the contrary? Nowhere to be seen.

There is also a post of yours saying he wasn't to know what developers were going to do and you inadvertently agreed with me. Since then been nothing but embarrassing backtracking, lies, goalpost moving and tieing yourself up in knots. Been weird to see.

But despite all that, to lie about Kinect, to prove you will call MS out when they are wrong, is very sad man.

dcmk7

Banned
And he's correct. XSS has the exact same features as the big boys, only 4K is missing.

Games, you know the things that the console is designed to play, aren't the same. Which was sort of the promise.

"Same next gen experience JUST at a lower rendering resolution"

Why does Quick Resume need to be at a lower rendering resolution exactly? Desperate stuff.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Games, you know the things that the console is designed to play, aren't the same. Which was sort of the promise.

Why does Quick Resume need to be at a lower rendering resolution exactly? Desperate stuff.

what features are missing?

do you know how quick reusme works? that's like the stupidest comment ever

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Some interesting discussion in the latest DF video about what they think Microsoft is doing with AI upscaling and how waiting for all the RDNA2 features may help Series S, Alex says some interesting things.

SkylineRKR

Well I was absolutely fucking impressed when it got delivered back in November, 2 weeks before my PS5. It did manage to steal some thunder. PS5 pushes better graphics and haptics but S has some boons.

Its such a compact device, I love the form factor. I plugged it in and boom it fired up within a second. I activated Live and then GP for that deal. I downloaded a handful of games on it, quick resumed between them. Noticed the pretty much non-existent load times in the optimized games. Coming from PS4 Pro this absolutely felt like a huge upgrade. Firing that one up, switching between games and load games in general wasn't pretty anymore.

Nowadays I'm still impressed since I have a 120hz TV for about 6 months now. And the likes of Doom Eternal are seriously impressive at 120hz on this console, considering this is just a 299 device. I think the graphics are fine even on 55 inch, not every game is jackpot but the fact I played Yakuza LaD without load times and in 60fps back in November was something that did make the Pro version feel like last-gen. In some ways the S outdoes my PS5 as well. It boots up faster, its more silent, quick resume and small things like being able to change system level HDR settings while having a game running in the background. This doesn't work on PS5. And there is GP, which I like a lot (been playing Hades and Quake remastered non-stop for the last week).

Last edited:
Sorry, not going to do the research AGAIN just because you can't be bothered.
No need to do any research there are plenty of videos from credible people who actually have the XSS. If you can't be bothered to back up your position with evidence it simply shows why we shouldn't take your opinion seriously.

What the heck are you talking about? Quick resume has nothing to do with resolution. The feature works exactly the same on the XSS showing again Jason was right. Why are these guys that have no idea what they are talking about so vocal?

Weird,

You actually said you didn't like Kinect but went to great lengths to talk positively about it.

But it does prove my point that you are unable to call MS out on anything.

And changing subject from Jason Ronald's misleading claim? nah, he said what he said, it's in a video dude. Can deny all day, but majority who aren't deluded can see what he said.

Even captioned it for you, where was your evidence to the contrary? Nowhere to be seen.

There is also a post of yours saying he wasn't to know what developers were going to do and you inadvertently agreed with me. Since then been nothing but embarrassing backtracking, lies, goalpost moving and tieing yourself up in knots. Been weird to see.

But despite all that, to lie about Kinect, to prove you will call MS out when they are wrong, is very sad man.
What does Kinect have to do with the XSS? Why are you trying to make this topic about my dislike of the X1 and Kinect and not about your asinine assertions about the XSS? If you want to talk about Kinect you can make a post about it. This thread is about the XSS and how well designed it is. You earlier called MS and their engineers liars about the XSS's features. Care to actually support your wild claims or will you proceed to spout more nonsense? It is not my responsibility to do your work for you. You called Jason Ronald a liar PROVE it by showing the hardware features the XSS lacks he lied about. Stop tap dancing.

Jason Ronald isn't in charge of telling game devs what to do. XSS has all the next gen features. Game devs can use them as they wish.
That or Sony has lied because Returnal doesn't run at 4K and lacks raytracing. Clearly the Sony engineers are responsible for that omission not Housemarque at all.

Kinda proved my point dude.

He was in no position to make that claim but he did it anyway. As was a good marketing line.
My goodness man! His claim was about what the XSS is capable of not what devs will do with it. He has every right to state the capabilities of the device he helped design. You have NEVER provided any evidence of a claim he made about the XSS that it actually can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom