• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S "Brilliantly Designed Machine"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calverz

I have a ps5 and xsx in the living room.
I have a series s upstairs that I swap between my office and bedroom. It’s a great little machine. As someone mentioned below it boots up pretty quick and is great just continuing my saves from xsx downstairs. Iv played a big portion of my Elden ring play through on my series s.

Ozriel

M$FT
Come on the Series S came out in 2021 why is it even struggling to outright beat last gen consoles? All that because MS couldn't spend an extra $100 for a Series X Digital Edition?

Series S is terrible value for pretty much anyone, if someone is into Xbox just pay the extra $200 and enjoy a much better experience for years and year to come.

Same goes for the PS5 DE, terrible value as well(just not as compromised), the odds are most people will make the $100 back over the life of the console.

People who own the Series S love it. It’s very rare you see folks own the console who aren’t impressed with what it can do for that price point. Reviews from verified owners are stellar, and the size/portability makes it easy to pick up and move

It is NOT a terrible value for anyone. At the $299 price point, there’s literally nothing better you can spend your money on for gaming. And nobody with brains would pick a one X over a series S.

If you don’t own a Series S, I’m not sure how you can speak up about the value proposition.

RT is a bust on all consoles, imo. I never use it on PS5. I hated Control at 30fps and input lag. And don't get me started on DMCV with its fluctuating performance or 1080p with turbo mode disabled. Its default or 120hz, but RT mode can fuck off.

That's also true. It's why I try to play games with RT on PC where DLSS saves the day.

Three

Always like to caveat the number of ps5 digital sku's seem to be relatively small. That might because the margin on it is not great so they don't make many of those.

It's all about hitting a price point and margin that means that selling millions of those doesn't impact the bottom line in terms of profitability .

Ultimately the target audience in MS's theory doesn't care about that additional performance.
What's the number of Series X to Series S? I bet that's not great either so why have a caveat for it
Joined less than a month ago and already spreading fibs.

No he's not. This is the sort of thing he was saying below. Reality is that Series S is missing high framerate modes in games.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
What's the number of Series X to Series S? I bet that's not great either so why have a caveat for it

No he's not. This is the sort of thing he was saying below. Reality is that Series S is missing high framerate modes in games.

Still never said the Series S was more powerful. All he's implying is that the impact of running at much lower resolutions is that the CPU is stressed less. I imagine his calculations assumed the PS5 and Series X would be running games at 4k vs 1080p on the Series S. Whereas in the real world with these games, many are sub 4K on the next gen flagships.

When more advanced reconstruction methods hit, I'd wager we'll get more devs willing to use 900p as an input resolution for the XSS, which would allow high framerates to be preserved.

reksveks

It's probably around 50/50 but the fundamental situation is different. No one is looking at the series x for its 'value'.

A product can't be great value if you can't get a hold of it imo.

Last edited:
People who own the Series S love it. It’s very rare you see folks own the console who aren’t impressed with what it can do for that price point. Reviews from verified owners are stellar, and the size/portability makes it easy to pick up and move

It is NOT a terrible value for anyone. At the $299 price point, there’s literally nothing better you can spend your money on for gaming. And nobody with brains would pick a one X over a series S.

If you don’t own a Series S, I’m not sure how you can speak up about the value proposition.
Millions of people loved the Xbox One too and paid $500 for one, doesn't make it brilliantly designed in any way.

Your last argument makes no sense, I can't have an opinion about the quality or value of a product because I don't like it? We must all fall in line and praise the Series S as a brilliant designed machine? The only ones who are allowed to have an opinion are people who are trying to justify why they saved money and fell for all the false marketing?

The false promises that the difference between nextgen versions would come down to a difference in resolution by itself should take the Series S out of the discussion of being a "brilliant design", It didn't even hit the most basic of it's goals.

I've used a Series S (my in law bought one) underwhelming to say the least and very unimpressive, the WiiU was more impressive for it's time and I'm not even exaggerating.

The lack of storage space and the price of the proprietary storage is one of the most offensive things I've ever seen in a gaming hardware, worse than even the Vita Memory Card situation. That is the opposite of brilliant design, it's a complete ripoff.

It's brilliantly designed because it's small? It's small because it's weak and lacking in everything except CPU. Like it all you want but all the praise in the word ain't going to change what it is in reality.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The problem with bumping an old thread like this is that it brings out the new crazies making the same old shitty and wrong arguments about how the XSS is bad.

200.gif

SirTerry-T

I was wondering why this thread got bumped and then I see its just a bunch of people writing sales pitches.

Incredible.
I dunno. I think it lost some credibility when some one suggested the WiiU was a more impressive piece of kit.....

Riky

$MSFT

£249 to be able to play the likes of Flight Simulator is great value, like you say people who own the machine seem happy with what they got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom