• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S “Will Not Limit the Potential” of Next-Gen Games / PS5 Lower CPU Performance Won’t Limit Devs – Vigor Dev

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking in a recent interview with GamingBolt, Bohemia Interactive’s Petr Kolář and David Kolečkář – project leads on the online loot shooter Vigor – said that owing to the fact that the Xbox Series S’ CPU is roughly on par with the Series X’s processor, by and large the console won’t hold back next-gen and should be able to run all games, albeit on lower resolutions.

“The important thing is that the CPU hasn´t been downgraded, so the Series S will not limit the potential scope or features of games,” the developers said. “The Series S shouldn’t have any issues with the same games on lower resolutions. Maybe some adjusted graphic effects.”

The PS5 and the Xbox Series X are both going to be impressive pieces of machinery, and with the former’s SSD and the latter’s GPU, it seems both have a leg up over the other in different areas. When it comes to the CPU, the two are far more evenly matched- though there’s still a bit of a gap there. The PS5’s custom Zen 2 CPU runs at a frequency of 3.5 GHz, while the Xbox Series X’s runs at a frequency of 3.8 GHz (or 3.6 with SMT).

That difference, however, won’t end up making too much of a difference, according to Bohemia Interactive’s Petr Kolář and David Kolečkář, both of whom are project leads on the free to play online looter shooter Vigor. We recently spoke with the duo, and when asked about the minor gap between the CPUs of the two next-gen consoles, they said that while more CPU-intensive games would enjoy better frame rates on the Xbox Series X, the PS5’s CPU will by no means hold back developers.

“The processor performance of both devices is in the same league,” the developers said. “The Xbox will probably be able to achieve more stable FPS in CPU-intensive games, but I don’t think that the lower CPU performance of the PS5 will limit developers.”

Thanks mods for the title change:lollipop_trophy:

Last edited:

Kuranghi

HRvZ.gif

Kumomeme

the other aspect that not bound by cpu gonna get affected. like memory for example. too soon to say. we need to see atleast start of midgen whether its true or not.

im curious what gonna happened when 1440p on 10-12tf, gonna be minimum baseline.

We will see how it goes.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Interesting comments about ps5 frame rates stability.. didn't we saw another tweet about that too?

Im not sure why Cerny not clock the ps5 cpu to 3.6ghz and achieve parity on the cpu side, seems such a small design decision to make 🤷‍♀️

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
the other aspect that not bound by cpu gonna get affected. like memory for example. too soon to say. we need to see atleast start of midgen wether its true or not.

im curious what gonna happened when 1440p on 10-12tf, gonna be minimum baseline.

We will see how it goes.
Give them time, I think it will happen. I wonder how the people, who would buy a XSS, are going to react or even if they notice when their games are running at dynamic 1080p. I speculate that it will look good enough for those types of customer.

Kumomeme

Don't you know how pc games work? It's easy to just turn shit off and/or lower the resolution, fxaa instead of msaa, medium shadows instead of ultra and so on..

Consoles are literally PCs...
i wonder if game development actually that simple. 4-5 years devs time just like that. why they bother to crunch at first place?

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Pretty sure its linked to the gpu and heat, etc, the system has to throttle back one or the other.
It's a pity i guess 🤷‍♀️
With its huge heatsink and elaborate liquid metal setup. Mobile Zen2 chiplets are easier on cooling, so long you keep it under 4ghz.

Not sure if this design will bite them back, this is the 2nd time i read of ps5 games framerates concern. While we have been fixated on exciting new RT, BVH and SSD, could the traditional cpu/framerates flown under the radar and over looked in our discussions?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the throttling doesn't need to be employed too much, the machine does still have lot of raw power. I guess time will tell of Sony was honest or they pushed it too hard.

ZywyPL

Banned
Interesting comments about ps5 frame rates stability.. didn't we saw another tweet about that too?

Im not sure why Cerny not clock the ps5 cpu to 3.6ghz and achieve parity on the cpu side, seems such a small design decision to make 🤷‍♀️

Cerny mentioned that without SmartShift they could only achieve 3GHz or so, so 3.5GHz is already quite a bump. Not that they knew what the Series X/S specs are gonna be to begin with. Anyway, given PS5 aims for 4K where the framerate is solely dependent on the GPU, whereas Series S will be a 1080p-1440p machine, where it's the CPU that's the bottleneck, I'm not so sure if the Series S slightly faster clock will be able to outperform the bigger console, I actually think in CPU intensive scenes it's the little console what will suffer the most.

Redlancet

Banned
Don't you know how pc games work? It's easy to just turn shit off and/or lower the resolution, fxaa instead of msaa, medium shadows instead of ultra and so on..

Because pcs need to cater to base systems, imagine a game done just got the 3080ti and thats the problem here

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Cerny mentioned that without SmartShift they could only achieve 3GHz or so, so 3.5GHz is already quite a bump. Not that they knew what the Series X/S specs are gonna be to begin with. Anyway, given PS5 aims for 4K where the framerate is solely dependent on the GPU, whereas Series S will be a 1080p-1440p machine, where it's the CPU that's the bottleneck, I'm not so sure if the Series S slightly faster clock will be able to outperform the bigger console, I actually think in CPU intensive scenes it's the little console what will suffer the most.
Huh? The CPU is essentially the same in the S and X. How will the S suffer in cpu intensive scenes but the PS4 wouldn’t?

The Shift

Banned
These guys squeezed Operation Flashpoint into the original Xbox's RAM allocation of 64MB and made that work, kinda:

I'll take there word for it.

Plus I'm biased - Bohemia are one of my favorite developers :pie_wfwt:

geordiemp

You still dont understand smart shift, and what Cerny meant in that context, as Zen 2 at 5 Ghz and RDNA2 at 2.5 Ghz say hi.

Anyway, back on topic, XSS will not hold back games,

My concern is the 120 FPS targets, as those look terrible, and likely those games are targeting streaming market as much as last gen as 120 FPS low quality is easier to adopt to streaming.

Last edited:
You still dont understand smart shift, and what Cerny meant in that context, as Zen 2 at 5 Ghz and RDNA2 at 2.5 Ghz say hi.

My concern is the 120 FPS targets, as those look terrible, and likely those games are targeting streaming market as much as last gen as 120 FPS low quality is easier to adopt to streaming.
Not gonna lie, that's why I'm hoping AMD does something this year. We've downsized in resolutions. We went from aiming at native 4K @30fps with the Gtx 1080, to 1440p DLSS @4K w/Rt on newer GPU's. You could say we went backwards in resolution, yet we've went way ahead in quality. We've realize framerate is better than resolution, but why not have both?

Last edited:

Vognerful

You see that latest leaks put the clock at 1.8 to 2 ghz. Others are boosted clocks.

Vognerful

lJSDrL8.jpg

For reference

NEbeast

Didn't people say that about Infinite? There are no magic sliders, some of the best devs in the industry said the S will hold back next gen, mainly due to memory. It's more work = devs will make sure it runs on the S then get it running as best as they can on the X.
Having one SKU for next gen Is clearly better.

Md Ray

Lower latency matters more for Ryzen in gaming performance than purely clock speed. Maybe they have tighter memory timings, with higher FCLK. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Doesnt limit cpu part but limits gpu(graphics)

Simple:
If S = 1080-1440p -> X = 4k
If X = 4k -> S = 1080-1440p
If X less than 4k (1440-1800p) -> S = under 1080p

Solution: limit X to 4k or near 4k, because S cant handle 1440p X game at 1080p.

Saying that it wont limit is same as saying all PC games take full advantage of 5000€ super gaming setups, and 500€ shitmachines wont limit that

Even if would be technically possible, split budget affects things and time limits.

But if X continues to wastw performance on native 4k, it works, yes

Vognerful

40 CU is the 2.4 GHz part. For reference
Do you have a recent source?I hate to discuss stuff when you just throw things without references. This article has no information on navi22 clocks. The one I found was from month ago and from some reddit leak.

GOmUZVp.jpg

geordiemp

Do you have a recent source?I hate to discuss stuff when you just throw things without references. This article has no information on navi22 clocks. The one I found was from month ago and from some reddit leak.

GOmUZVp.jpg

is only data, rest are a range of tweets. Some as high as 2.8 Ghz AIB lol.

Vognerful

I saw that one, but AMD recent comments felt like they are taking them with grain of salt. Some comments I have seen hoping it would be 2.3 .

2.5 sounds way high jump from the other cards (is it gaming, based or boosted clock?). We hope to find out on 28th.

Aladin

Doesnt limit cpu part but limits gpu(graphics)

Simple:
If S = 1080-1440p -> X = 4k
If X = 4k -> S = 1080-1440p
If X less than 4k (1440-1800p) -> S = under 1080p

Solution: limit X to 4k or near 4k, because S cant handle 1440p X game at 1080p.

Saying that it wont limit is same as saying all PC games take full advantage of 5000€ super gaming setups, and 500€ shitmachines wont limit that

Even if would be technically possible, split budget affects things and time limits.

But if X continues to wastw performance on native 4k, it works, yes
If ps5 does 4K, series S will comfortably do 2K or 1440p.
If ps5 does 2K, series S will comfortably do 1K or 1080p.
Show proof otherwise, all series s prospective owners will jump ship to ps5.

Aladin

Should start reporting childish FUD about 900p rumors on Series S.
Series S is designed to push roughly 50% of Series X's pixels. It will do atleast better than half the resolution of ps5.
The only game whose resolution and framerates is confirmed for series s is Dirt 5. 2K 60 fps on Series S, 4K 60fps on Series X.

geordiemp

It is true and certain heavier workloads will likely see variable clock speeds. For e.g. 256 instructions that Cerny talked about.

No. I would not hang my hat on the systained clocks, its not going to age well.

AVX 256 is a CPU taxing thing not GPU. I dont think either console will be CPU limited this gen for the target frame rates and resolutions.

Last edited:

Md Ray

No. I would not hang my hat on the systained clocks, its not going to age well.

AVX 256 is a CPU taxing thing not GPU. I dont think either console will be CPU limited this gen for the target frame rates and resolutions.
Yeah, I'm aware it's a CPU instruction set. I just gave it as an e.g. as similar workload for the GPU will also see its frequency to throttle back when that worst case game arrives as Cerny said.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Should start reporting childish FUD about 900p rumors on Series S.
Series S is designed to push roughly 50% of Series X's pixels. It will do atleast better than half the resolution of ps5.
The only game whose resolution and framerates is confirmed for series s is Dirt 5. 2K 60 fps on Series S, 4K 60fps on Series X.
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is 900p on Series S, isn't it?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Once you hit a certain CPU level of compute then you’re very very rarely CPU bound in modern AAA games. They’re almost always GPU bound and that can be fixed as they say with lower resolutions and a nip or tuck here and there to certain visual settings like shadow quality.

Top Bottom