• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series controller keeps pairing and unpairing on PC

kiphalfton

Bought a brand new Xbox Series controller from Microsoft directly, to use while gaming on PC. The controller has been a POS, and keeps pairing/unpairing mid game.

I have it connected via Bluetooth. I have a Bluetooth/wifi antenna so, it shouldn't be a matter of it having a weak connection as I NEVER had an issue with my Xbox One controller I had connected via Bluetooth.

Not sure what the deal is.

kiphalfton

Bluetooth on Windows 10 is terrible. That's the issue.
I've had issues with other stuff using Bluetooth, but that was a mouse on my work computer and I was in an office where there was probably a boatload of interference.

At home on my computer though, I shouldn't be having any issues whatsoever though as I had had an Xbox One controller that worked flawlessly not even a week ago.

I'm currently updating the controller software and am going to update windows, so hopefully that does it... but it seems like a widespread issue especially with the Xbox Series controller.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I've had issues with other stuff using Bluetooth, but that was a mouse on my work computer and I was in an office where there was probably a boatload of interference.

At home on my computer though, I shouldn't be having any issues whatsoever though as I had had an Xbox One controller that worked flawlessly not even a week ago.

I'm currently updating the controller software and am going to update windows, so hopefully that does it... but it seems like a widespread issue especially with the Xbox Series controller.

I have had this issue with multiple Bluetooth devices in my room. Mice, keyboards, Xbox one controllers, Xbox Series controllers, wireless headsets. Windows 10 has a massive issue with Bluetooth. Just Google "windows 10 Bluetooth disconnect" and you'll see how widespread this problem is.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Download "Xbox Accessories" from windows store if you don't already have it.

Connect your Xbox controller via USB to your PC.

Run Xbox Accessories

Go to their Controller setup and at the screen where it basically shows you your controller, click on the "..." and download the current controller drivers.

Enjoy.

Topher

Gold Member
I plan on picking up an XB controller for my PC but I'll definitely be buying the official MS dongle along with it. No way I'd use bluetooth, it's nothing but trouble.

Same. I gave up on using BlueTooth for Xbox controllers. The dongle makes it work the way it should with BlueTooth.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Download "Xbox Accessories" from windows store if you don't already have it.

Connect your Xbox controller via USB to your PC.

Run Xbox Accessories

Go to their Controller setup and at the screen where it basically shows you your controller, click on the "..." and download the current controller drivers.

Enjoy.

This does not resolve the issue, but it's still a good step to take.

I just have mine plugged in via a 3m USB-C cable.

I know I know "what year is this.gif" etc etc. But for me it's mighty convenient. Zero connection issues, don't have to worry about battery life.

I had to turn off USB suspend manually, I guess setting your PC's power plan to High Performance isn't enough:pie_thinking:. I bought the dongle thinking that would fix my issues of disconnects but in the end it was just windows turning off USB power whenever it wanted to.

kiphalfton

I may be speaking too soon, but I updated the controller software like Nickolaidas Nickolaidas mentioned, but it was still having issues. However, after updating my Bluetooth driver to the following update, it seems to be working flawlessly now.

Maybe a combination of the two, who knows, but hopefully it now works fully without any sort of issues.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
You'll have to re-pair BT anyways as soon as you plug it into USB to play wired when recharging. That's why I got the dongle...

Exentryk

This is what you need.

s-l400.jpg

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This is what you need.

s-l400.jpg

100% this. Was using mine last night.

I find Bluetooth to be generally terrible and try to avoid it whenever I can in all devices. Dedicated receivers are always preferable for wireless devices.

Last edited:

reksveks

Sadly most onboard Bluetooth chips on mobo are a POS, I switched to the Xbox wireless protocol and shit was solved instantly

CuNi

Bought a brand new Xbox Series controller from Microsoft directly, to use while gaming on PC. The controller has been a POS, and keeps pairing/unpairing mid game.

I have it connected via Bluetooth. I have a Bluetooth/wifi antenna so, it shouldn't be a matter of it having a weak connection as I NEVER had an issue with my Xbox One controller I had connected via Bluetooth.

Literally had the same issue ages ago. I settled on the Wireless-Adapter for the new controllers and since then it works issue free and even with less latency than over Bluetooth, but that obviously isn't a real answer to your problem.
Weird thing tho, it's only with the XO Controller. The PS4 Controller I have works issue free with Bluetooth and Windows 10.

Arun1910

I had the same issue with Bluetooth. Only one thing you can try.

Connect it via a Wire and open the "Xbox Accessories" Windows app. Your Controller should show up and it may need an update. After that's done, try again.

I did these steps but unfortunately my Bluetooth still played up with the Controller, good luck.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is what you need.

s-l400.jpg

Absolutely. They are relatively cheap and rock solid reliable (in my experience). I use it for my Elite v2 and wireless headphones on W11 and it's completely maintenance-free.

With the adapter it's also possible to connect audio via the controller port and to update firmware wirelessly, I don't think you can do that with bluetooth (correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
I may be speaking too soon, but I updated the controller software like Nickolaidas Nickolaidas mentioned, but it was still having issues. However, after updating my Bluetooth driver to the following update, it seems to be working flawlessly now.

Maybe a combination of the two, who knows, but hopefully it now works fully without any sort of issues.
What Exentryk said.

I was under the impression you had the official dongle. You need this for pc gaming with an xbox controller.

I actually bought xbox controllers that included the dongle.
This is what you need.

s-l400.jpg

Nickolaidas

Banned
Also, kiphalfton kiphalfton , you may encounter a few games like Dark Souls iii on pc, which cause a strange lag as you play with a wireless xbox controller.

A weird fix is to turn off the 'device association service', or something.

hollams

Gold Member
I have disconnects even using the dongle and it's related to Windows trying to save power by turning off the usb ports. If I move my hub to another usb port on the PC this happens. The usual fix is to go into the device manager and click all the usb devices and turn off power saving.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

grats you bought the shittiest xbox controller yet.

protip use a xbox one controller.. and have zero issues with BT

or

use the official MS dongle.. that one seems to work ok with pc.. MY battery keeps dying ultra fast tho..
worst controller yet.. It's hilarious that i never use my series X gamepad on pc because of all these QoL issues. same as sticky a buttons.
it's a mess

Sorry, but when it happened to me its because I forgot to connect antenna properly. Otherwise BT working perfectly for me in W10 (mouse, kb, headphones, gamepad at the same time)

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Always had an issue with Bluetooth and Xbox controllers, he’ll destiny would grind to a crawl for some reason if I was using Bluetooth. Used it wired most of the time, dongle worked great if u are further away.

Fbh

Bluethooth is kinda crap on many PC's.

I have a similar issue with my Dualshock 4. It will always disconnect once, usually within the first 40 minutes of playing.
Weirdest part is that after it has disconnected and reconnected once it will work fine for the rest of session no matter how long it goes on..... but it ALWAYS disconnects once.

jaysius

Banned
One of mine has heavy distortion in the headphone jack SOMETIMES but other times is crystal clear through it, it seems the distortion happens with certain frequencies in music. Does anyone else have this issue?

Top Bottom