• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Series consoles have sold less in the same timeframe as XB1" Really?

The Alien

Banned
Meh. Globa shortage of all next gen consoles probably impacting sales all around. I got a Series X day one...but haven't seen a PS5 or any new XBox out in the wild...ever. Both woukd be selling more consoles if they were enough of them

I think MS cares more about people subscribing to GamePass.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
360 RROD ruined Xbox’s reputation it’s too late to change people’s minds.
The Undertaker Sport GIF by WWE

From the info we have, it's safe to assume it's accurate. From NPD leaks, we know it's behind the XBO in NA, which is Xbox's #1 region. While the XBO sold poorly in Japan, the XSX is still way behind it there. Not hard to imagine the same in other regions.

And you cant just chalk it up to shortages, because Sony seems to be keeping about on pace with the PS4 with them. So, either manufacturers are putting MS lower on the priority list, or MS is just getting a lot fewer chips because they went wide and slow, or there is less demand for the XSX. My guess is it is a little of all three.

EDIT Also according to the article Sony said PS5 sold 4.5mil PS5's in the same timeframe, making it the fastest selling console ever.
Fastest selling Home console* ever. The article makes that clear distinction. It's very clear Sony was in a better position manufacturing wise, even Phil admitted Series manufacturing started late as they were waiting on AMD. On top of that it seems MS is not interested in pushing *leading volume sales* in terms of HW, instead diversifying its consumer base by adding android, iOS, PC and Smart TV customers to their ecosystem. MS and Sony are playing 2 different games within the same industry.

DaGwaphics

From the info we have, it's safe to assume it's accurate. From NPD leaks, we know it's behind the XBO in NA, which is Xbox's #1 region. While the XBO sold poorly in Japan, the XSX is still way behind it there. Not hard to imagine the same in other regions.

And you cant just chalk it up to shortages, because Sony seems to be keeping about on pace with the PS4 with them. So, either manufacturers are putting MS lower on the priority list, or MS is just getting a lot fewer chips because they went wide and slow, or there is less demand for the XSX. My guess is it is a little of all three.
Also a difference in how they released the system. Releasing in more regions at once must have hurt the NA launch allotment.

Dabaus

Banned
For what its worth I walked into Meijers (store similiar to walmart in Midwest America) and all consoles were sold out except for a yellow switch lite and a series S.

Renozokii

hahaha, I have enough education to know that the series s die size is around two thirds of that of the ps5 so for every two ps5 chips ms can manufacture three series s. It’s also using 10gb of slower memory and only a 512gb m.2.

basically ms can more efficiently manufacture the series s and it’s cheaper to ship, so for every pallet full of series s they ship it will hold roughly twice as many as the ps5 and series x due to the packaging size.

basically they can ship more of them and manufacture more in the current challenging climate.

yes the demand for the series s isn’t as high as series x and ps5 but it’s targeting a completely different customer and I genuinely think it will do extremely well at xmas time etc.

also, from your attitude it Seems like the only failure is how your parents raised you. Be humble and respect others Is a much better way to live.
I mean.. so if the demand is lower but they are still dedicating production capacity on a console that ends up sitting on shelves instead of on the x that still paints Microsoft as pretty stupid, no? Also you are making more than a few assumptions. Just because they can theatrically ship far more series s consoles, do you have any indication they are? Any pictures of pallets with double the series s to x ratio? We know, wherever numbers are available, that the x is blowing the s out the water in sales.

Sony could make and ship way more ps4s than pe5s, and there are plenty of ps4s on shelves. That doesn’t mean they are making more.

Neil Young

The title reminds me of when you watch a movie trailer and the voice over says "The number one comedy in theaters!". Meanwhile, it's the ONLY comedy in theaters. This is a true statement but it leaves out a bit of info. Same here. I can't buy the series X, it sells out in seconds. So yeah, the One sold more during the same time, but they were available.

Woopah

Can you name a time when a company puts out numbers that make them look bad and doesn't benefit them in any way? "I just want to announce we have be completely outsold by our competitors! We totally suck guys!!"
Depends on the company's disclosure policies. Nintendo put out their Wii U numbers for example.

M16

no, xbox didnt begin production till way later the playstation, so they will always have less consoles to sell at the same point, until they get to a point where supply starts equaling demand.
this is like the simplest math that some fanboys dont want to do because it doesnt fit their narrative.

Thirty7ven

Banned
no, xbox didnt begin production till way later the playstation, so they will always have less consoles to sell at the same point, until they get to a point where supply starts equaling demand.
this is like the simplest math that some fanboys dont want to do because it doesnt fit their narrative.

It started like three weeks after and we already know that late last year AMD increased number of wafers allocated to console SOCs, and the numbers are telling, twice the amount reserved for PS5 in comparison to Series.

You understand what this means?

Last edited:

NickFire

I'm not putting much stock in any sales numbers yet because I've not seen a next gen console that was easily obtainable from going to a store (in person or online). But I am starting to wonder why MS hasn't been flooding the market with consoles yet. They may have started a little later, but every other day it seems there's a story or rumor about billion dollar deals from them. Why no billions spent to make consoles more available is a fair question imo.

DaGwaphics

I'm not putting much stock in any sales numbers yet because I've not seen a next gen console that was easily obtainable from going to a store (in person or online). But I am starting to wonder why MS hasn't been flooding the market with consoles yet. They may have started a little later, but every other day it seems there's a story or rumor about billion dollar deals from them. Why no billions spent to make consoles more available is a fair question imo.

Probably not much that can be done. Thanks to strong PS4 sales, Sony is getting some preferential treatment when it comes to wafer allocations. That's not unusual, typically the biggest buyers will get guaranteed a bigger piece of the pie when there is a shortage. You see that in all things from phones to TVs etc. MS was never going to beat Sony in number of units produced, they simply didn't have the chips available for it. Plus their most in demand model has a larger APU which just underscores everything. In addition to all that, MS might be diverting some APUs to Xcloud blades.

Obviously, MS could have sold more units in the states if they had them to sell (Sony also). Even the S is still widely unavailable here.

I do expect that supply and demand will balance for Xbox before PS, that just seems realistic given that PS is coming off the PS4. I think everyone expected the PS5 to outsell the Xbox out of the gate, that doesn't mean that Xbox can't outsell the X1 family in time, even if sales are a bit lower to start with. The X1 family lost momentum early and never really regained it outside some flickers around the launch of the 1S and 1X. MS certainly has the opportunity to use the improved first-party to keep things humming along more consistently.

Depends on the company's disclosure policies. Nintendo put out their Wii U numbers for example.
MS doesn't put out numbers on how many Surface tables they sell or any other devices do they or is Xbox the only thing they don't give specific sales numbers of?

Woopah

MS doesn't put out numbers on how many Surface tables they sell or any other devices do they or is Xbox the only thing they don't give specific sales numbers of?
I don't think Microsoft has to disclose those number since gaming is such a small part of our business. Though I haven't read their financial reports in detail so I'm not sure what numbers they do disclosure.

Last edited:
Hardware sales are not the only battle imo. It's games, overall value and the total customer experience. If Microsoft simply keeps the promise of the games we already know about plus going Xbox console exclusive with some of Bethesda's biggest games, then not only will Xbox not be outgunned like it was in the previous gen, I'll find it pretty difficult, to impossible, to say they have a worse games lineup compared to any other platform out there. My favorite kinds of games are RPGs and Xbox looks like it will be the best place for them this generation.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It’s a good question, do companies like apple, Samsung, Microsoft share ho many tablets or phones they sell Etc?

Last edited:
what does it matter anyway? lets face it, everyone already knows the PS5 is going to sell the most consoles. it looks like we're gonna get a great output of games from both sony and microsoft and thats all i care about. im glad microsoft are being really competitive now and sony are known for their quality already. they have a proven track record.

Last edited:

GHG

It’s a god question, do companies like apple, Samsung, Microsoft share ho many tablets or phones they sell Etc?

You don't have to report those things, the only requirements are that you report financial figures on a quarterly and annual basis. However if hardware is a major part of your business and you don't give breakdowns then it raises suspicions since the only reason to hide those figures is because they are not so favourable. Microsoft can get away with it without it negatively affecting their share price because Xbox hardware is a small part of their overall business.

However if the likes of Sony, Nintendo, Samsung etc suddenly stopped reporting hardware sales figures then it would need to be offset with some chunky numbers elsewhere or it would cause their share price to tank in the short term.

As an example Apple did exactly that in 2018 and it resulted in a 20% drop in their share price for the quarter:

Last edited:
I don't think Microsoft has to disclose those number since gaming is such a small part of our business. Though I haven't read their financial reports in detail so I'm not sure what numbers they do disclosure.
Companies will focus on their strengths. Sony lives and dies by console units sold so they will focus on that. MS cares more about services so they'll focus on that. MS stopped playing Sony's game when they focused on back compat, Game pass, and play anywhere initiatives. When you aren't winning you have to change your strategy.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You don't have to report those things, the only requirements are that you report financial figures on a quarterly and annual basis. However if hardware is a major part of your business and you don't give breakdowns then it raises suspicions since the only reason to hide those figures is because they are not so favourable. Microsoft can get away with it without it negatively affecting their share price because Xbox hardware is a small part of their overall business.

However if the likes of Sony, Nintendo, Samsung etc suddenly stopped reporting hardware sales figures then it would need to be offset with some chunky numbers elsewhere or it would cause their share price to tank in the short term.

As an example Apple did exactly that in 2018 and it resulted in a 20% drop in their share price for the quarter:

thanks. MS should share them....bloody chickens i tell thee!

PooBone

A few things:

1- Production for Series consoles started later.

2- Microsoft is using chips not just for consoles but also for upgrading its XCloud blades from XBO to Scarlett. Which has limited the amount of consoles being produced thus far.
I'm sure the Xbone manufactured a lot more in that timeframe as well.

A few things:

1- Production for Series consoles started later.

2- Microsoft is using chips not just for consoles but also for upgrading its XCloud blades from XBO to Scarlett. Which has limited the amount of consoles being produced thus far.

Not that much later. Manufacturing date difference is barely a month between the PS5 and Xbox.

Last edited:
Not that much later. Manufacturing date difference is barely a month

Assuming that's true it would only affect sales at launch. It appears that Sony is just able to make more playstations than Microsoft can make Series consoles.

I agree that it's difficult to gauge demand when the systems constantly sell out but I think it's pretty obvious that supply is higher on Sonys side.

M16

It started like three weeks after and we already know that late last year AMD increased number of wafers allocated to console SOCs, and the numbers are telling, twice the amount reserved for PS5 in comparison to Series.

You understand what this means?
the SoC reserves are exactly because of the reason xbox started production later. sony is gonna produce more consoles because of the head start. (xbox started late summer, ps early summer, more like few months not few weeks)
(also dont forget the series S has a smaller die, so they could make more of them with the same size wafer).
its hilarious people trying to paint a different narrative when xbox series consoles are also impossible to come by.
people trying to make conclusions this early have an insecurity of the product they bought.

Last edited:

Woopah

Companies will focus on their strengths. Sony lives and dies by console units sold so they will focus on that. MS cares more about services so they'll focus on that. MS stopped playing Sony's game when they focused on back compat, Game pass, and play anywhere initiatives. When you aren't winning you have to change your strategy.
If they can yes. In certain circumstances companies are under obligations to report material numbers to shareholders and they have to do that even if the number are bad.

But yes I agree that Microsoft will focus on subscription numbers from now on.

skit_data

the SoC reserves are exactly because of the reason xbox started production later. sony is gonna produce more consoles because of the head start. (xbox started late summer, ps early summer, more like few months not few weeks)
(also dont forget the series S has a smaller die, so they could make more of them with the same size wafer).
its hilarious people trying to paint a different narrative when xbox series consoles are also impossible to come by.
people trying to make conclusions this early have an insecurity of the product they bought.
Wouldnt really call Series S impossible to come by, I could pick one up tomorrow if i wanted to

Edit: I realized I can also buy a 2nd hand Series X at retail price as well. PS5s are still north of 200 dollars more even buying it 2nd hand here in Sweden

Last edited:
Assuming that's true it would only affect sales at launch. It appears that Sony is just able to make more playstations than Microsoft can make Series consoles.

I agree that it's difficult to gauge demand when the systems constantly sell out but I think it's pretty obvious that supply is higher on Sonys side.

Which is true. There is a clear evidence that Sony ordered double the chips comparing to Xbox. June is the earliest for PS5, July for Xbox. Statement "MS waited for full RDNA 2" crap is just poor excuse why Xbox Series are behind PS5 in sales already

Last edited:
Which is true. There is a clear evidence that Sony ordered double the chips comparing to Xbox. June is the earliest for PS5, July for Xbox. Statement "MS waited for full RDNA 2" crap is just poor excuse why Xbox Series are behind PS5 in sales already

You're right I was probably looking at it wrong.

It's not because production started earlier it's because Sony bought more chips than Microsoft. Now for the next wave of production if Microsoft buys more chips than Sony then it's possible that they might be able to produce more consoles.

Waiting for full RDNA2 or starting production earlier isn't the reason why there's currently a difference in production. It's like you said because Sony bought more wafers than Microsoft. Now why Microsoft chose to buy less wafers is another area of speculation.

Maybe they anticipated less demand so they bought less or maybe Sony was able to outbid (crazy as it sounds).

Akuji

Xbox Series s is sold under msrp at Amazon.de ( Germany ) 288€ instead of 299€.

what does it mean? I don’t know but atleast from my experience talking with people, ps5 is heavily favored in Germany. But it was always like that. PS360 was closer but still ps3 was more popular with the people I know atleast.

M16

Wouldnt really call Series S impossible to come by, I could pick one up tomorrow if i wanted to

Edit: I realized I can also buy a 2nd hand Series X at retail price as well. PS5s are still north of 200 dollars more even buying it 2nd hand here in Sweden
yea i can pick one up too if i live in a small market.
you know exactly what im talking about but playing stupid

yea i can pick one up too if i live in a small market.
you know exactly what im talking about but playing stupid
You'd think that if someone wanted to show how much of a failure the XSS is they'd mention the sales in the largest market the world. Can I go to my local retailer in the US and buy one today?

Last edited:
You know the Series S is a failure when people are conveniently excluding the Series S from the discussion to fit their narrative that both consoles are sold out everywhere.

Even Microsoft and its fanboys are ignoring it.
Where can I buy an S in the states? I've been looking and sold out everywhere

PaintTinJr

You'd think that if someone wanted to show how much of a failure the XSS is they'd mention the sales in the largest market the world. Can I go to my local retailer in the US and buy one today?
AFAIK the UK is as important to Xbox, or just behind the US in their target markets - especially as certification for games is done here, or it certainly used to. And buying a XsS in the UK is possible, and has been possible throughout the launch IIRC.

The data from various sources(tweets) in the thread - in the first two or three pages - suggests that they've sold a maximum of 2.4m between X and S - to match X1 - yet 3.5M console were manufactured. Assuming it was half and half for manufacturer numbers(as I said earlier in the thread), that leaves 1.1M XsS unsold, and probably most of them in Microsoft warehouses, because retail haven't bought them - through fear of having stock they can't shift, because sale-or-return is unlikely to be offered by Microsoft. So the reason it isn't available to buy in the US is because retailers don't see enough demand to take on that risk - for a box that is only considered next-gen because Xbox say it is, when in reality it is trading face-off blows with a last-gen Pro or X1X IMHO.

DaGwaphics

AFAIK the UK is as important to Xbox, or just behind the US in their target markets - especially as certification for games is done here, or it certainly used to. And buying a XsS in the UK is possible, and has been possible throughout the launch IIRC.

The data from various sources(tweets) in the thread - in the first two or three pages - suggests that they've sold a maximum of 2.4m between X and S - to match X1 - yet 3.5M console were manufactured. Assuming it was half and half for manufacturer numbers(as I said earlier in the thread), that leaves 1.1M XsS unsold, and probably most of them in Microsoft warehouses, because retail haven't bought them - through fear of having stock they can't shift, because sale-or-return is unlikely to be offered by Microsoft. So the reason it isn't available to buy in the US is because retailers don't see enough demand to take on that risk - for a box that is only considered next-gen because Xbox say it is, when in reality it is trading face-off blows with a last-gen Pro or X1X IMHO.

In this market, if US retailers had access to more units, they'd grab them. The things are still getting bids over MSRP on Ebay.

I'm not sure where you are from, but in the US, if you have a product that keeps selling out, you aren't worried about making reasonable restock orders. If units started sitting for weeks, sure. But we are still talking hours, maybe even minutes on most of the online drops.

MaulerX

I'm sure the Xbone manufactured a lot more in that timeframe as well.

Yes, because they weren't using chips to put in the cloud when XBO laumched (chips that could have gone towards manufacturing consoles) . The two things I outlined, when combined, have attributed to the situation they have now.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

This is literally preposterous and I don’t know how you can say this when you clearly don’t own a Series S. Why spout this BS on an enthusiast forum?

I own one and I owned a PS4 Pro from launch until 7 months ago.

The PS4 Pro played last gen games at 1800p.

The Series S plays next gen games at 1080p.

I’m not sure what’s difficult to grasp about it. The fidelity on a game like Gears 5 running at 120fps or Cold War at 60fps far trumps anything my PS4 Pro could put out, including games like Spider-Man. Not to mention loading times of well over a minute on PS4 Pro compared to sub 10 seconds on the S. Ludicrous comparison.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Microsoft used to divulge hardware sales and Xbox division profits. Then they stopped.

Top Bottom