• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series BC: 16x AF for all games, resolution and frame rate boosts

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Wonder how auto HDR will look on Dark Souls games! :lollipop_grinning:

The sun is gonna be BRIGHT.

Solaire be like
giphy.gif

REDRZA MWS

Doesnt it play only like only 10-30 xbox OG games?

And series S doesnt have real BC. I would not count digital only console as any kind of BC machine, unless it lets you download games for free that you own.

If S would have disc drive + 90% of the games would work, it would be cool
Glad ive been fully digital, game sharing, for years, since the beginning of the 360 era.

On Demand

Banned
the difference is that the Series X|S lets back compat games simply run on the whole hardware.
games use the full GPU.

PS5 native mode works the exact same way. That’s the reason why Cerny said “the boost is truly large this time and games have to be tested.”

2.2ghz is a HUGE increase in performance for PS4 games running on PS5. PS4 games have full access to PS5 hardware too.

the way it works on PS5 is that games use the same amount of CUs as they originally did. meaning PS4 games will use 18CUs and Pro games will use 36CUs.
and if they don't support boost mode they will also run at their normal clock speeds.

You seem to be confused about what those modes are for. They are there for compatibility reasons.

PS4 non pro enhanced game- PS4 legacy mode-18cu 800mhz

PS4 Pro enhanced game- Pro legacy mode-36cu 911mhz

PS5 native mode/Game Boost- 36cu 2.2ghz.

Meaning-Pro enhanced games- dynamic resolution- uncapped frame rate- variable frame rate- full access to GPU/CPU clock speed to increase resolutions and frame rate.

that is not the case on Series X|S where all games run at max clock speeds and all the CUs of the system, giving them the power of a 12TF GCN gpu. apparently the GPU has a sort of back compat mode where it functions like a GCN gpu while playing back compat games so they will not get the RDNA2 performance gains, which is the only real downside of the back compat method Microsoft is using.

Again, just like the PS5. With their method being a bit different of course. You also seemed confused about this thinking just because it’s automatic and has full hardware resources that ALL games will benefit. No they will not. It still depends on the game.

Just because Sony designed their backward compatibility solution in a different way

Compatibility modes
Choice to use Game Boost

That doesn’t make their method any lesser. People till this day still don’t understand how Sony’s BC works and think it’s something different and doesn’t fully work as supposed to.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Auto HDR was already great, 16X AF and framerate doubling is awesome.

Come ooonn Sony, still waiting to hear the full BC story and if there's anything remotely like this

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
OP is exactly the same as a thread on REEE. What's the point of cross posting MS' marketing materials in both forums? Or did a REEer copy-paste your thread?

It's interesting but it's a copy and paste of MS text, like you wrote 'On the Xbox One, we were able to provide a curated list of titles'.
Snitch...why exactly we should go for news to REEE?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Lol. I'm saying it's copy pasted marketing post word for word on both forums, without any input from the poster, this is not a news site is it, exactly? This behaviour is like marketing for MS, not much else.
Well I guess that marketing jargon has some news in it. Obviously if we would have some general, non-news copy/paste of PR material, then it would be weird. I personally don't follow MS or Sony on social media, so this is great to me.

ruvikx

Banned
Lol. I'm saying it's copy pasted marketing post word for word on both forums, without any input from the poster, this is not a news site is it, exactly? This behaviour is like marketing for MS, not much else.

Dude, they're quotes from the article. It happens all the time here & it saves us the bother of clicking (we just get a summary of the text in a few excerpts). Vy ze butthurtz? It's just backwards compatibility chit-chat. I'm sure your own favorite plastic box will be just fine.

You can't surpass a hard framerate cap if the code physically limits it to that degree.

If a game has a locked vsync at 30 Hz, would that be considered a hard framerate cap? I'm thinking in particular of PGA TOUR 2K21. It appears to be like The Golf Club 2019, in that it displayed at 2160p with a frame rate of 30 FPS. It seems like HB Studios did so by locking the vsync at 30 Hz. This doesn't sound like something Microsoft could side-step to run 2K21 at 60 FPS, in 4K.

The game is coded in Unity, but it runs beautifully on my gaming PC at 60 FPS, so it's not like there's some sort of animation cap on it. All that HB Studios has officially stated is that PGA TOUR 2K21 will be backward compatible on the Series X and PS5. That doesn't sound like they're going to go out of their way to add a software switch to allow next-gen console owners the opportunity to run the game at double the frame rate :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Zephir

Too bad quite a few of my Xbox 360 games aren't actually compatible

EiltHRPWAAAtROZ

I mean, I know most of them have been remastered for current gen or are available on PC (and I do own, like Dragon's Dogma and Batman), but still...kinda annoyed I can't simply put them in a new console and keep going on from where I left

DavidGzz

All of your posts in MS threads are anti marketing for MS and you don't even get paid. I haven't seen much else from you.

jaysius

Banned

EiltHRPWAAAtROZ

I mean, I know most of them have been remastered for current gen or are available on PC (and I do own, like Dragon's Dogma and Batman), but still...kinda annoyed I can't simply put them in a new console and keep going on from where I left

Where is the source on this list of incompatible games?

splattered

EiltHRPWAAAtROZ

They are going to continue pumping out more BC games after launch.. a lot of those games may be added to the collection before you know it :)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

EiltHRPWAAAtROZ

Dragons Dogma and Tales of Vesperia are already on Xbox One. Resonance of Fate and Nier definitely need a BC update and Eternal Sonata needs a definitive edition like Tales of Vesperia

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's how quotes work. It's news. I don't see a problem with it.

Netflix allows me to watch old movies. Spotify lets me listen to old music. Only natural that a console lets you play your old games and play them better.

Its silly that we have to argue that this is good.
Netflix allow to add your physical and digital movies too?
Software BC is great but the comparison with other mediums is pointless and unfair. You are literally paying to have the limited access to those movies. No hardware involved since streaming and you don't have legacy libraries to carry on the service. It lacks thw whole compatibily thing so can you tell me exacly what you are talking about?

Roberts

This is incredible. Can't wait to replay some of the XO games with double framerate (I hope it is going to be more than just a few games). I also hope PS5 does something similar, mostly so that we don't drown in salt every time a thread like this happens.

I was wondering about one thing: Only selected Xbox 360 were Xbox One X enhanced. Usually the team explained that the game design and some other things didn't let them up the resolution, but could it be that Xbox One X emulator just wasn't capable of running some games in 4K? Maybe we will get more 4K enhanced 360 games on XSX?

Codswallop_

Neophyte
The work they have put into bc is so damn impressive, glad I was able to snag a SeriesX at launch along with a couple years of Gamepass thanks to that upgrade deal. The big games are coming, but right now this alone is a system seller for me.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Their BC is just stupidly impressive. More and more like how generations of technology on PC are handled.

Some have called it the ‘old game’ console as a short-sighted slight, but it really is becoming a big selling point. At this point, I have to consider all the games I loved over the past three generations, and many of them looking and playing better than ever, and it kind of makes an Xbox purchase mandatory.

This, though. I want to see them add some missing essentials, patch Xbox One games with locked framerate and res to take full advantage of the hardware, and I’d like to see more older games brought to full 4K.

It’s amazing, but it can get even better.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Does that mean Mirror's Edge Catalyst is 4KHDR/60fps?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
why is it so complicated compared to pc?
If you buy a faster GPU you automatically get more fps
Because PC games are designed that way from the outset, whereas console games are typically designed to maximize the power of an individual piece of hardware.

We're just now finally seeing the benefits to the previous generation consoles essentially being PCs.

YCoCg

why is it so complicated compared to pc?
If you buy a faster GPU you automatically get more fps
This is MORE than just a resolution and frame rate boost, it's the AI-HDR factor too, which I hope comes to PC since the results are pretty damn good, better than most games lazy HDR by developers.

Top Bottom