• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series BC: 16x AF for all games, resolution and frame rate boosts

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
if you're talking about the doubling framerate its true you can't in many cases. It depends on how the in-game physics works as doubling framerate
if you're talking about the doubling framerate its true you can't in many cases. It depends on how the in-game physics works as doubling framerate could break them, thats why its only on select titles.
no I had people telling me that resolution bumps or double frame rates on any Xbox game was impossible without the developer changing something be cause the game wasn’t a emulation like the 360 games. I knew it was only gonna be a select games

HeLurks

Banned
lol @ those HDR-comparision-pictures. Reminds me of monitor-product-pages. You cannot show the HDR-difference with SDR-pictures. You just cant.

Auto-HDR still seems quite cool and overall Series X BC seems to be well thought out and integrated.

But for me personally not too relevant. I am looking forward to the new stuff. m

But but you can’t do that without changing the code from developers people have kept saying
https://news.xbox.com/ said:
In addition however, the backward compatibility team has developed new methods for effectively doubling the framerate on select titles. While not applicable for many titles due to the game’s original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware.
They keep it vague.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You gave me SSX 3, now just give me SSX Tricky BC with those sweet rez boosts and I am a happy man.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I swear 80% of news about next gen Xbox focus on it playing old games.

Really? Its more like they are telling us as much about the console as they can before launch.

Theyve shown us the hardware in detail.

Theyve shown us the UI in detail.

Theyve shown us its QuickResume feature.

Theyve shown us the baby Xbox.

Theyve shown us A game.

And now they are talking about backwards compatibility.

If they had exclusive nextgen titles to really show off, they would likely be talking about that.....but as we know the number exclusive launch titles this gen isnt looking very attractive right now.

Basically a month out Id hope both manufacterers would be showing us a lot more of the games.

What would E3 have looked like this year if all manufactures hit the floor......nothing but tech talks?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yo Sony I need this too
ImpressiveElatedComet-size_restricted.gif

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
OP is exactly the same as a thread on REEE. What's the point of cross posting MS' marketing materials in both forums? Or did a REEer copy-paste your thread?

It's interesting but it's a copy and paste of MS text, like you wrote 'On the Xbox One, we were able to provide a curated list of titles'.
A person can't be active on two forums?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But but you can’t do that without changing the code from developers people have kept saying

You can't surpass a hard framerate cap if the code physically limits it to that degree.
Upscaling and modifying the output image is very possible however without alteration because all that requires is changing the system rasterization code by way of a wedge that scales incoming values by a fixed amount.

dave_d

I know I plan to keep my XOX hooked up to the same tv as the XSX to see how much of an improvement there is playing games on the XSX. (I guess I should move my USB drive over though.)

GHG

Gold Member
Some Daily Mail headline writing going on here but this is some good shit for the games it will apply to.

Dibils2k

Just to be clear here, as a big fan of this shit... Are we talking boosting unlocked frame rates or is there some crazy shit taking a locked 30fps and doubling it?
in the case of Fallout 4, its taking a locked 30fps game and making it 60fps! crazy

but they do say in the article that this wont be possible on most games since things like animations can be linked to framerates

so it will be rare cases

It’s a good convenience, “hey l loved that game, I can play that on my current console with some nice improvements “

I’m getting a bit tired of hearing about it though and that was even during XB1/1X. Despite all the shit said yesterday even my twitter feed couldn’t escape that garbage , I’m just glad Dirt 5 and Yakuza were shown regardless of the trolls,!hopefully Assassins Creed in the next few days.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Excellent news, the BC team at Microsoft are goddamn wizards.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I wonder if games that cut frame rates in half on npc and objects in a distance are the games they can’t do this on?

GHG

Gold Member
Thank god we have the next gen speculation thread!

He has a point considering the thread title doesn't even match up with the reality:

On Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, 16x anisotropic filtering has been enabled for nearly all backward compatible titles so you can experience the very best visuals the games have to offer.

While not applicable for many titles due to the game’s original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware. Fallout 4 framerate, shown below, is effectively doubled from 30fps to 60fps on Xbox Series S, delivering a new way to preserve and enjoy this legendary title.

Who does it benefit when a misleading thread title is created by the OP?

I just cant wait that they add more titles in BC. They said they will add more after next gen release, cait wait to see what else will be released.

I really hope some of their discussions with Sega allow them to make original XBox Sega titles Backwards Compatible, like JSRF, GunValkyrie, and the like.

Well, I can already play these old games, I'm not spending $500 for a console to play games I can already play.

It's nice but I still think this is lacking from a strategy point of view. Although I guess they had no choice after Craig Infinite, no Forza, and a quite frankly terrible list of XSX console exclusives.
You're right man. I suggest you not buy one. Like I said Xbox has no games not even one.

Is this the new 'Xbox has no games'?
I don't think the old 'Xbox has no games' went away. It's good to see them add to the list. No games new or old has a nice ring to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom