• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series BC: 16x AF for all games, resolution and frame rate boosts

ManaByte

While not applicable for many titles due to the game’s original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware. Fallout 4 framerate, shown below, is effectively doubled from 30fps to 60fps on Xbox Series S, delivering a new way to preserve and enjoy this legendary title.

On the Xbox One, we were able to provide a curated list of titles that were enhanced for the Xbox One X via the Heutchy method. This allowed titles from Xbox 360 that rendered at 720p and original Xbox games that ran at 360p to play at 4K on Xbox One X, well beyond the capabilities of their original platform. The Heutchy method continues to be used to bring a variety of titles to 1440p on Xbox Series S and 4K on Xbox Series X.

Improved texture filtering is also coming to backward compatible titles on both Xbox Series X and Series S. On Xbox One X, a portion of the catalog benefited from increased anisotropic filtering, improving image quality of games. On Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, 16x anisotropic filtering has been enabled for nearly all backward compatible titles so you can experience the very best visuals the games have to offer.

Tripolygon

Banned

New technology to double framerates

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S bring next-gen performance to your favorite games. Higher, steadier framerates make games feel smoother, resulting in more immersive gameplay. Many improvements are the result of the custom designed processor that allows compatible games to play and leverage the increased CPU, GPU and memory from the new consoles. In addition however, the backward compatibility team has developed new methods for effectively doubling the framerate on select titles. While not applicable for many titles due to the game’s original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware. Fallout 4 framerate, shown below, is effectively doubled from 30fps to 60fps on Xbox Series S, delivering a new way to preserve and enjoy this legendary title.

Enhanced visuals you have to see to believe

On the Xbox One, we were able to provide a curated list of titles that were enhanced for the Xbox One X via the Heutchy method. This allowed titles from Xbox 360 that rendered at 720p and original Xbox games that ran at 360p to play at 4K on Xbox One X, well beyond the capabilities of their original platform. The Heutchy method continues to be used to bring a variety of titles to 1440p on Xbox Series S and 4K on Xbox Series X.
Xbox-Series-S_-Backwards-Compatibility_-Resolution-Improvements.jpg

Auto HDR for everyone

Modern games often implement high dynamic range (HDR) to improve overall visual quality. HDR allows a game to render a much larger range of brightness values and colors. This gives an extra sense of richness and depth to the image when compared to a standard dynamic range (SDR) image. For example, the light from a flashlight looks much brighter and red flowers look much more vibrant.

However, thousands of Xbox games shipped before HDR was first introduced with Xbox One S, and even for some Xbox One games, developers simply didn’t have the development resources or time to implement HDR. With Xbox Series X and Series S we are introducing a new feature named Auto HDR. Auto HDR automatically adds HDR enhancements to games which only shipped with SDR. Auto HDR enhances the visual quality of an SDR game without changing the original artistic intent of the game. Auto HDR is implemented by the system so developers don’t have to do any work to take advantage of this feature. Also, since Auto HDR is enabled by the console’s hardware, there is absolutely no performance cost to the CPU, GPU or memory and there is no additional latency added ensuring you receive the ultimate gaming experience.

The below images show how Auto HDR can improve the visual quality without changing the overall look of the game. The HDR images are brighter and more colorful only in the naturally expected areas, while the rest of the image retains its original intent.

Xbox-Series-X-S_-Backwards-Compatibility_-Auto-HDR.jpg

Tickrate

Now, this is the info we want to hear!
I have a feeling most of my games library will be on Xbox and just the PS exclusives on PlayStation.
Love that I can just pick up some older games and enjoy them at enhanced visuals and framerates while we all wait for the next-gen cycle to start picking up pace.

Last edited:
Netflix allows me to watch old movies. Spotify lets me listen to old music. Only natural that a console lets you play your old games and play them better.

Its silly that we have to argue that this is good.

This is first time its happening.

And is far more complicated than decoding a video/audio signal.

Danny 117

Good stuff. There was a lot of confusion about Series S backwards compatibility so nice to see some info from MS.

Last edited:
So what about the new games
Xbox has no games remember?

I have a feeling most of my games library will be on Xbox and just the PS exclusives on PlayStation.

Love that I can just pick up some older games and enjoy them at enhanced visuals and framerates while we all wait for the next-gen cycle to start picking up pace.

For all of the talk that somehow MS is in a plot to keep you from owning your games there isn't another console that gives more generations of your games life. Games I bought in 2006 still work on the Xbox coming out next month and I really like that. My investment in my game library is protected.

Last edited:
Do you need the disc for the games that we owned on the Xbox one? If so how will the series s people play their old games?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Do you need the disc for the games that we owned on the Xbox one? If so how will the series s people play their old games?

It doesnt have a disc drive.
You are fucked if all you use is a disk for licensing.

You would need to repurchase a digital license for the game.
Atleast you wont have to redownload the games updates you can transfer that to your Series S.

Salz01

I’m still a little bit confused about getting older games to 4K. Like if it automatically does it on the series x, or if they have to program it in. Otherwise the only update is auto hdr, 60 FPS,if the engine allows it, and better texture filtering?

Flintty

Just to be clear here, as a big fan of this shit... Are we talking boosting unlocked frame rates or is there some crazy shit taking a locked 30fps and doubling it?

Last edited:
Doesnt it play only like only 10-30 xbox OG games?

And series S doesnt have real BC. I would not count digital only console as any kind of BC machine, unless it lets you download games for free that you own.

If S would have disc drive + 90% of the games would work, it would be cool

Top Bottom