• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox remote play now available on IOS

Redlight

An updated version of the Xbox app is now available on IOS. It finally allows you to stream Xbox games to your iphone etc. Any existing Xbox One controller connects via bluetooth.

I only tried it for 30 minutes or so, and entirely on a home network. It performed extremely well. Might be useful if you want to play a game in bed or let someone get their hands on the TV while you continue on another device.

I have a reasonably fast home network and lag wasn't noticeable to me. Some people are very sensitive to lag though, so I won't go too hard on that point. :)

Those of you Apple owners with an Xbox, update your app and get to it!

NOTE: This is remote console streaming only, not Xcloud.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So they are making you remote in to access the store now or am I just not seeing it?

MrFunSocks

Banned
damn this works incredibly well on my local network. Significantly better than steam link works on my wired devices somehow. The picture is ridiculously clear, I tested it using a 60fps arcade racer and had no problems with any noticeable input lag or graphical problems. Tiny bit of distortion every now and then on small parts of the picture but overall it was amazing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it runs like fucking ass. Meanwhile i can stream pc VR quest games just fine to the quest 2
will try wired on the ipad later 🦆

insane audio crackling and occasional FR dips over 5ghz i get about 380mbit over 5ghz wireless so no it's not my fucking network (yes xbox one x is directly connected to router and yes it's a cat6 ethernet cable)

geforce now is better then xbox remote play when using a phone.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well i tested it on my ipad pro 2018 model connected with ethernet cable.
Works perfect no audio glitches No droped frames.

Resolution of streaming looks okish.. Bit better as the third party app on the appstore i have been using for about 2 years.
Audio is better on xbox app
and Colors are also better.

My HDR get's disabled on my tv when i remote play.
Since i am using a wired on both sides connection i would like them to up the quality.. 4k or higher fps. And perhaps HDR
make it work..

Latency is manageable but not really different from online services like geforce now (when it works)

The game is tested is gears 5

-edit-

i feel like saying this but IOS does not support rumble on either the xbox one controller or dualshock4 this is an IOS issue.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

i tested forza on it and didn’t notice any lag but was getting quite a lot of audio crackling and sometimes the audio was cutting out.

Quite sad to realize that the most we hope for in re streaming is to be close to on par with remote play.

Theoretical problem with remote play is if I’m at home anyway, why wouldn’t I just play on my system? The use-case scenarios are relatively limited.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I used it on my home network last night. It was a pretty amazing experience. I cannot get it to work over LTE streaming. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

AllyITA

Quite sad to realize that the most we hope for in re streaming is to be close to on par with remote play.

Theoretical problem with remote play is if I’m at home anyway, why wouldn’t I just play on my system? The use-case scenarios are relatively limited.
does this only work on same network?

Megatron

What are the controller options? You cant use the touch screen I am assuming, have to use a game pad? if you are in the house, does the gamepass have to be paired to the phone/tablet or the Xbox? You can pair an Xbox controller to an iPhone/iPad, right?

Kagey K

Banned
What are the controller options? You cant use the touch screen I am assuming, have to use a game pad? if you are in the house, does the gamepass have to be paired to the phone/tablet or the Xbox? You can pair an Xbox controller to an iPhone/iPad, right?
Touch controls are still in testing and will becoming in the future. You connect the controller to your phone with Bluetooth and almost any Bluetooth controller will work.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's the foot in the door. xCloud will be next.
No it's not.

Apple allows remote apps to devices on your own network, hell they even allow remoting to cloud servers if you completely control the server 100%, like remoting into a windows machine is fine even if it's for a game streaming service (Shadow.)

They do not allow streaming services to create interfaces that streamline app or game streaming.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No it's not.

Apple allows remote apps to devices on your own network, hell they even allow remoting to cloud servers if you completely control the server 100%, like remoting into a windows machine is fine even if it's for a game streaming service (Shadow.)

They do not allow streaming services to create interfaces that streamline app or game streaming.
This app literally streams games. Streaming from xcloud is coming next.

Tripolygon

Banned
This app literally streams games. Streaming from xcloud is coming next.
Streaming from a device you own = OK
Streaming from Microsoft or Sony servers = Not OK

This is what Microsoft and Sony have been trying to do and Apple says no. Amazon found a loophole by just using a web browser client and i see Google, Microsoft and Sony doing the same.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Streaming from a device you own = OK
Streaming from Microsoft or Sony servers = Not OK

This is what Microsoft and Sony have been trying to do and Apple says no. Amazon found a loophole by just using a web browser client and i see Google, Microsoft and Sony doing the same.
Isn't the issue with the store and not the streaming?

Tripolygon

Banned
Isn't the issue with the store and not the streaming?
That goes without saying. Its about money. Apple wants each game to have an individual app store entry while also using apple payment system so they can get a cut of every in app purchase. Nobody sane will agree to go through that mess.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I feel bad for the people in here saying that it doesn't work for them, I use it over LTE while I'm waiting in line to pick up my daughter from school daily. Works great for me over a cell network.

HF2014

Ok. Playing this on my Ipad Pro is night and day in terms of details of lightning, colors, black level compare to my, now i can call it, shitty Fire Tv. Night driving looks like night driving, very hard to see ahead, which is realist. God i think im just going to play on my Ipad from now on! 😁

Estocolmo

Isn’t this better than xcloud, because with this you can play any game instead of being restricted to game available only on Xbox Game Pass Ultimate?

Top Bottom