• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Gatox

Banned
I see the Gamepass mega thread is slipping down the pages as expected. Be in this section soon enough no doubt.
Also, I cant decide which is my new favourite Soony loony Anger thread, the MGS one or the Bluepoint Sony contract one. Soony loonies lashing at all over the place like deranged toddlers on a sugar high...

I see the Gamepass mega thread is slipping down the pages as expected. Be in this section soon enough no doubt.
Also, I cant decide which is my new favourite Soony loony Anger thread, the MGS one or the Bluepoint Sony contract one. Soony loonies lashing at all over the place like deranged toddlers on a sugar high...

I get the sense that the upsurge in Xbox related topics on the front page of the Gaming section was really upsetting a bunch of people. This very thread was getting much busier as well, buoyed by the excellent direction that Xbox is clearly displaying. Since it has been moved to it’s current home in Communities it is much, much quieter. I didn’t see it at first, but yeah, the Game Pass thread now seems like a very effective way to suppress Xbox presence in the Gaming section as well. A containment strategy, as others have mentioned.

No regrets signing up here at Neogaf after a decade of lurking, and I’m not going anywhere, but in recent months I’ve realized there are much more friendly forums for Xbox enthusiasts. If Xbox manages to take the lead this gen, then I suspect that it will eventually help to mitigate the “SonyGaf” effect.

Gatox

Banned
Which ones are better for xbox stuff? It's pretty much impossible to get a decent conversation on anything xbox on here other than this thread.

Anyone tried State of Decay 2 on Series X/S? Gonna do some co op later with mates, haven’t played it for about a year.

I have to say I’m impressed with the streams/engagement from Undead Labs from what I’ve seen lately.

Thing is , it’s Xbox that has more to prove with the games this generation. If Microsoft can sort out first party there will be some interesting threads !

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Klobrille made this.
WCcNI5l.jpg

DaGwaphics

It will be interesting to see if ID Tech becomes a prominent piece of MS first party. It seems like a very capable engine that could probably be tweaked a bit here and there to fit most game genres. An inhouse engine that really works to the strengths of whatever hardware MS is manufacturing at the time could be invaluable. Plus it supports PC and the whole nine.

Witchilich

Lots of speculation regarding no major first party releases until 2022, so I made a list of when all possible first party projects may release in the GIBiz thread.
someone already did that for all first party projects few pages back(he should post it in the Xbox OT).
Since I was asked to post it here, so here is the improved version.
Projects that will definitely release in 2021-22
  • Halo Infinite and Starfield started development in 2015.
  • Arkane Austin's Project(maybe Prey 2), same as Deathloop(Arkane Lyon) and Ghostwire Tokyo(Tango Gameworks). Ignoring Halo Infinite and Starfield, Arkane Austin's project has been in development for the longest period since Prey(2017).
  • Wolfenstein III started development in 2017
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Flight Simulator
  • Grounded
Fable also started in 2017, but it will probably take around 6 years, as Playground Games are growing to 400+ staffs like 343i, Bethesda and Zenimax Online Studios.

Projects that may release in 2022 or beyond
  • Hellblade II and Avowed started development in 2018. Although Hellblade II seems more likely for a 2022 release.
  • Everwild started in 2017
  • Next Forza Horizon
Zenimax Online Studios project(possibly new MMORPG) started in 2018, but it will take 6-7 years. Perfect Dark started in 2018, but its probably 2023-24 due to smaller team.

Rest. Too early to guess anything
  • Unless they were already working on it alongside Gears 5, Coalition next project started in 2019
  • InXile and Roundhouse Studios started working on there project in 2019 and Compulsion Games on early 2020. These teams are small and they will take more time for their games.
  • id Software next project started in late 2020, unless they were working on it alongside Doom Eternal.
  • Indiana Jones
  • Elder Scrolls VI
  • Project Mara
  • Tango Gameworks next project(unless they were already working on multiple projects)
  • Double Fine project after Psychonauts 2

3liteDragon

It will be interesting to see if ID Tech becomes a prominent piece of MS first party. It seems like a very capable engine that could probably be tweaked a bit here and there to fit most game genres. An inhouse engine that really works to the strengths of whatever hardware MS is manufacturing at the time could be invaluable. Plus it supports PC and the whole nine.
It will, by 2022 or 2023, all their studios will probably switch to the id Tech engine OR take parts from it that they think are useful for the engine they're using (UE5, which can still be modified by devs) and use it.

Last edited:

Gerdav

I think it's really hard to compare those two. Gears 5 is the best looking game from last gen, but Demon Souls is also stunning, but in a very different way.

The HiveBusters DLC is the best looking “game” this generation, Miles Morales especially when put in the quality 30 FPS mode with ray tracing is the next best IMO.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Klobrille made this.
WCcNI5l.jpg
There is no official communication regarding Bethesda and Xbox Game Studios acting separately. Too bad most people actually think this chart is official. This sort of thing just serves as fodder for writing walls of text for console warring on internet forums.
Why would they be "part of Xbox family" if they are to act separate? Same reason there is no Bethesda at E3, only Xbox.

Last edited:

Really like Jez...and with Rand al Thor they produce one of the best Xbox centric podcasts around. Jez is a legit insider with some solid sources within Xbox it would seem...and though Rand insists he’s no insider..he knows some stuff. Xbox is served incredibly well by some excellent podcasters and content creators out there. So Xbox fans, when SonyGaf has you feeling besieged, go seek some of this stuff out.

On a completely different note....been playing one level of It Takes Two every evening with my wife. Amazing game....and very helpful in convincing ones spouse that video games may indeed be worthy. That’s the first game I’ve paid for since getting my Series X at launch....been Game Pass-ing the entire time and I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface of it.

splattered

Yeah i'm starting to get a little weirded out by certain forum members on this site... one second Schreier is a Sony fan and everyone loves his coverage, then he starts posting some not so positive stuff and he's all of a sudden a hack in their eyes and shouldn't be listened to... same with Jaffe. One minute certain members think he's great and edgy but then Jaffe starts saying positive things about Gamepass and not super positive stuff about PS5 and they act like he's a nobody. It's all REALLY weird to watch the hivemind twist around in realtime lately.

Last edited:
There is a profound level of insecurity among a segment of the Sony fan base that is hard to reconcile given the massive success and position of Sony in the console space. Just the idea that their top dog position might be threatened has caused the reaction we are seeing I think. I don’t crap on the PlayStation brand - very open about perhaps getting my first PlayStation at some point (if they redesign the thing and fix the coil whine and improve the software feature set) because I’ve heard Sony makes damn good games - but the fanboy segment is sure easy to dislike. The console spec thread is Exhibit A. That thing is like a car crash that you can’t peel your eyes from.

And I get the feeling we are on the cusp of seeing the Series X show the power differential very soon. I can only imagine the meltdowns and mental gymnastics at that point.

ManaByte

There is a profound level of insecurity among a segment of the Sony fan base that is hard to reconcile given the massive success and position of Sony in the console space. Just the idea that their top dog position might be threatened has caused the reaction we are seeing I think. I don’t crap on the PlayStation brand - very open about perhaps getting my first PlayStation at some point (if they redesign the thing and fix the coil whine and improve the software feature set) because I’ve heard Sony makes damn good games - but the fanboy segment is sure easy to dislike. The console spec thread is Exhibit A. That thing is like a car crash that you can’t peel your eyes from.

And I get the feeling we are on the cusp of seeing the Series X show the power differential very soon. I can only imagine the meltdowns and mental gymnastics at that point.

There are some people who don't actually play games on their chosen plastic box and instead see the thing as some kind of status symbol and if it's not the top dog that is threatened in their eyes.

Roberts

Have been playing Fallout 76 lately and I love it. Lack of narrative urgency doesn’t ruin the experience mostly because it is so fun just to explore the world - another reminder that nobody does open world just like Bethesda. Tried playing it with 60 FPS boost but Xbox One assets make the game more ugly than I’m willing to handle, yet 30 FPS is simply too sluggish so I decided to stick with the cheat where it is 4K but with frame boost which results into 40-60 FPS performance. I prefer that.

BlakeofT

Having trouble playing game pass games while offline. What I was able to find out is that you have to set your xbox to your "home" xbox. I've done this with my XSX, but it still doesn't let me launch game pass games while offline. Anyone else have this problem?

Greeno

I didn't know they moved this thread to another section of the forum.

Wanted to discuss what ACG said about that "Everwild, Fable, and Perfect Dark far off" rumor. I believe he is suggesting Everwild is releasing next year (it was in development from 2017).

nikolino840

Having trouble playing game pass games while offline. What I was able to find out is that you have to set your xbox to your "home" xbox. I've done this with my XSX, but it still doesn't let me launch game pass games while offline. Anyone else have this problem?
I think there's a check for the sub

silentstorm

How long do "Deals With Gold" last?

I am not talking about the free games, already got Hard Corps:Uprising which is the only free game this month i wanted, i mean the actual deals on games separate from the main and Game Pass deals i only now noticed, are they weekly, monthly or what?

Pantz

Gold Member
How long do "Deals With Gold" last?

I am not talking about the free games, already got Hard Corps:Uprising which is the only free game this month i wanted, i mean the actual deals on games separate from the main and Game Pass deals i only now noticed, are they weekly, monthly or what?
Weekly. Updated on Mondays 11:00PM PST.

TBiddy

Looks like the XSX will be back in stock next week here in Denmark. I've decided to go for the All Access deal, since I'm already subscribing to GPU. Only downside is that there's only one retailer here that offers it, and it requires you to physically show up in the store to collect and sign the deal.

Top Bottom