• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Kagey K

Banned
New Game Pass ad featuring The Falcon

Going by the end of this ad it looks like MS is going with the moniker “All new Xbox” with Series S and Series X as subtitles underneath.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Been wanting to step back into the Xbox for a while to check it out. Haven't really touched since my Xbox live gold ran out in 2014. Got a Series S this past week and months of Game Pass Ultimate.

Pleasantly surprised so far. Yeah, the S isn't the high end version but it's all I could find and $300 is an easier spend. Will see how long the S remains viable. My TV is 1080p anyways. Really digging that new D-Pad as well.

Downloaded Yakuza 0 and will go from there.

ManaByte

Been wanting to step back into the Xbox for a while to check it out. Haven't really touched since my Xbox live gold ran out in 2014. Got a Series S this past week and months of Game Pass Ultimate.

Pleasantly surprised so far. Yeah, the S isn't the high end version but it's all I could find and $300 is an easier spend. Will see how long the S remains viable. My TV is 1080p anyways. Really digging that new D-Pad as well.

Downloaded Yakuza 0 and will go from there.

If you have a 1080p TV all you need is the S. Just bought one for my 1080p set.

Mmnow

This year's first party output, if all the rumours turn out true, could be:

Psychonauts 2
Wolfenstein 3
Starfield
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5.

Make the two Bethesda games exclusive, add in some Gamepass surprises (like the Ubi collection) and its going to be the hot console late 2021.

Edit: not to mention Flight Sim and the full release of Grounded.

Last edited:
Series wins Mortal Shell Enhanced Edition

This is NOT a BC game, this is a native version

Sorry but Series wins this one

Timestamps

00:00 - Xbox Series X
06:16 - Xbox Series S
12:31 - PS5

Series S -

Series X -

(commonly at 1800p)

PS5 -

(1440p only)

Framerate Stats -

PlatformsPS5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Frame Amounts
Game Frames224792245218024
Video Frames224952249522495
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames0493163
Lowest Torn Line-391395
Frame Height216021602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.68ms16.7ms20.8ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms34.19ms48.83ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms13.9ms15.48ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.96fps59.89fps48.05fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps47fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate54fps53fps35fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps59fps42fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate59fps57fps39fps
Frame Time Counts
0ms-16.67ms0 (0%)39 (0.17%)21 (0.12%)
16.67ms22463 (99.93%)22334 (99.47%)10412 (57.77%)
16.67ms-33.33ms0 (0%)38 (0.17%)5854 (32.48%)
33.33ms16 (0.07%)40 (0.18%)1736 (9.63%)
33.33ms-50ms0 (0%)1 (0%)1 (0.01%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows

It's odd because they said the Series S would be locked to 30 but I guess they went with an uncapped approach?

The blurry texture comparison is from right when the game loads only, kinda a weird flex

People trying to spin the thread already, saying it is a BC game (its not, its native verison) and using one blurry screenshot from right when you start the game and textures haven't loaded as some sort of "smoking gun" against the Series version even though VG Tech straight up says it is just the textures loading in one second slower than PS5 and then never pops up again

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member

This is cool since I've started searching for western games even to play with Japanese audio and English subtitles. As an anime fan it makes some games sound pretty funny and cool in a new way.

Andodalf

Banned
I can't get the link at work but the I saw an Xbox Wire post that showed Batman Arkham Knight as SX enhanced.

Megaton, the game never even got a mid gen update. With a higher res it would legit be one of the best looking games last gen

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I can't get the link at work but the I saw an Xbox Wire post that showed Batman Arkham Knight as SX enhanced.

Megaton, the game never even got a mid gen update. With a higher res it would legit be one of the best looking games last gen
I don't see anything about it

Edit: found it

Title-Hero.jpg

Last edited:

Roberts

I’ve been playing Falconeer over the last few days. As a super small indie it is actually a pretty cool game. Controls are not the greatest and the game has quite a few conceptual and gameplay issues, but I kind of dig the lore, visualsand when you get into an intense dogfight, it is all good. 6/10 but in a very complimentary way.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Played Dirt 5 for a bit yesterday...

God damn is that an ugly game.
I had some fun... but man.. i think some upscaled ps3 games might look better.
I had the same impression when I downloaded it the other day. I was expecting a bit more considering we had tons of tech analysis threads here. Seeing the graphics myself makes all those tech comparisons seem even dumber now. The game isn't even a looker to begin with :p

Gerdav

I missed it but apparently Phil just stated on the Bethesda stream that anything not in contract will be Xbox ecosystem exclusive.

I am not watching now either but this is apparently what he said

"Obviously I can't sit here and say every Bethesda game is exclusive," Spencer said. "Because we know that's not true. There's contractual obligations that we're going to see through, as we always do in every one of these instances. We have games that exist on other platforms, and we're going to go support those games on the platforms they're on. There's communities of players, we love those communities and we'll continue to invest in them. And even in the future, there may be things that have contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do.

But, if you're an Xbox customer the thing I want you to know is that this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists. That's our goal, that's why we're doing this, that's the root of this partnership that we're building and the creative capability we'll be able to bring to market for Xbox customers is going to be the best it's ever been for Xbox after we're done here."

Gerdav

20 Bethesda games joining game pass tomorrow.

• Dishonored
• Dishonored 2
• Doom
• Doom 2
• Doom 64
• Doom 3
• Doom Eternal
• Fallout New Vegas
• Fallout 4
• Fallout 76
• Prey
• Rage 2
• The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
• The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
• The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
• The Elder Scrolls Online
• The Evil Within
• Wolfenstein: The New Order
• Wolfenstein The Old Blood
• Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Andodalf

Banned
So TOW is getting its last DLC next week, but still no next gen patch. So weird. It seems like just uncapping the framerate would be an easy thing to do

Gatox

Banned
I really wish some of the mentalists on those Bethesda threads would go read up on what the word "legacy" means with regards to software, its getting pretty embarrassing now how they have zeroed in on this word as their little life saver.

Greeno

I would really like Fallout 1 and 2 to be remade where:

* combat is similar to Wasteland 3.

* general traversal (map traversal) is made based on two scales:
+ first scale traversal shall be based on Wasteland 3's style of map traversal.
+ sefond scale traversal shall be based on Kingdom's Come's style of map traversal.

* cut-content is added back with the original intentions of Tim Cain, Boyarsky, and Chris Avellone considered.

* voice acting for every NPC.

Last edited:

Loope

Series wins Mortal Shell Enhanced Edition

People trying to spin the thread already, saying it is a BC game (its not, its native verison) and using one blurry screenshot from right when you start the game and textures haven't loaded as some sort of "smoking gun" against the Series version even though VG Tech straight up says it is just the textures loading in one second slower than PS5 and then never pops up again
Wait for it, they are already beating their chest about Crash 4

Jemm

Bethesda games are all available on GP now.

ThZN6BN.jpg
I just downloaded and tried Rage 2 and it is much better than I thought.

After the tutorial and initial story, you get a vehicle and get to roam the open world wasteland with lots of objectives, upgrade paths etc. Very Mad Max -like FPS shooter.

Looks and runs great, too!

Mmnow

I really wish some of the mentalists on those Bethesda threads would go read up on what the word "legacy" means with regards to software, its getting pretty embarrassing now how they have zeroed in on this word as their little life saver.
They've spent the last six months saying "Skyrim was shit on PS3 anyway :messenger_pouting:".

Now they're talking about the long, important legacy of titles on PlayStation.

Bethesda games are all available on GP now.

ThZN6BN.jpg
Downloaded Fallout: New Vegas, and the DLC situation is frustrating.

Even beyond the annoying fact it isn't X enhanced, you can't buy all the DLC in one bundle. You can't buy Old World Blues without opening the game, and when you do it doesn't have any discounts applied.

So you're paying £2 a pop for each DLC, and then £4 for Old World Blues.

It's put me off even starting it, because it's the sort of thing that should be fixed. Then again, people were moaning about it this time last year, so maybe not.

I would really like Fallout 1 and 2 to be remade where:

* combat is similar to Wasteland 3.

* general traversal (map traversal) is made based on two scales:
+ first scale traversal shall be based on Wasteland 3's style of map traversal.
+ sefond scale traversal shall be based on Kingdom's Come's style of map traversal.

* cut-content is added back with the original intentions of Tim Cain, Boyarsky, and Chris Avellone considered.

* voice acting for every NPC.
I can see some version of this happening, although obviously not for a while. It'd be a good AA PC release between bigger titles, and it'd revive these very old titles in a way that makes them (more) relevent again. Would be a really useful step into Fallout 5.

I try not to look past the first post in these comparison threads. No good will ever come from it. PlayStation will always win, no matter what it takes.

"The resolution isn't as good, the loading time isn't as good, the framerate is identical... but texture streaming. Guess PlayStation wins again!"

ManaByte

After the tutorial and initial story, you get a vehicle and get to roam the open world wasteland with lots of objectives, upgrade paths etc. Very Mad Max -like FPS shooter.

The NBA Jam audio pack is awesome.

Andodalf

Banned
They've spent the last six months saying "Skyrim was shit on PS3 anyway :messenger_pouting:".

Now they're talking about the long, important legacy of titles on PlayStation.

Even beyond the annoying fact it isn't X enhanced, you can't buy all the DLC in one bundle. You can't buy Old World Blues without opening the game, and when you do it doesn't have any discounts applied.

It's put me off even starting it, because it's the sort of thing that should be fixed. Then again, people were moaning about it this time last year, so maybe not.

I can see some version of this happening, although obviously not for a while. It'd be a good AA PC release between bigger titles, and it'd revive these very old titles in a way that makes them (more) relevent again. Would be a really useful step into Fallout 5.

I try not to look past the first post in these comparison threads. No good will ever come from it. PlayStation will always win, no matter what it takes.

"The resolution isn't as good, the loading time isn't as good, the framerate is identical... but texture streaming. Guess PlayStation wins again!"

The 360 storefront is always going to be a travesty due to legacy code. Honestly I’m just glad we can buy digital versions of games from 2 gens ago. Only Xbox does that, and on console it literally has to pretend to be a 360 to do it.

Mmnow

The 360 storefront is always going to be a travesty due to legacy code. Honestly I’m just glad we can buy digital versions of games from 2 gens ago. Only Xbox does that, and on console it literally has to pretend to be a 360 to do it.
It wouldn't have been so big an issue if:
  • They'd announced what games were getting boosts
  • It was the ultimate edition on Gamepass - or that the ultimate edition/season pass was available to purchase.
  • That there wasn't one DLC inexplicably unavailable to purchase through the Xbox One.
Just those things together is very offputting. When it's fixed in 12 months, I'll feel like I've wasted time or money on an imperfect version of the game, no matter how I approach it.

Which isn't a major problem, because there's a mountain of other games to play and it's easy to hold off on it.

Last edited:

Gerdav

New Vegas is one of games I am trying to decide on now, is the DLC a must if you have never played the game? I am trying to decide between NV, Prey, Dishonored and The Evil Within, I haven’t played any of them so I am not sure what to jump into first.

This was not even on my radar at all, but I have just added it to play later.

And does anyone know if there is a limit to the amount of EA Play subs you can convert? I did 4 of them for a additional year back in November and am good into September 2022, but if it’s still possible to convert, a additional year for £80 is too good to resist after yesterday’s news.

Mmnow

New Vegas is one of games I am trying to decide on now, is the DLC a must if you have never played the game? I am trying to decide between NV, Prey, Dishonored and The Evil Within, I haven’t played any of them so I am not sure what to jump into first.
Someone with more knowledge will pop in and correct me if I'm wrong here, because it's been the better part of a decade since I last booted this game up.

The DLC isn't 100 per cent necessary, but if I recall correctly it does complete the story and offer up some nice alternative experiences.

Prey and Dishonored may be getting native SX versions, so I'm holding off on them too.

Evil Within was great though, if a little dated these days!

JLB

Banned
DAMN!! I didnt know that Doom64 is actually a different game. I also thought it was the original game adapted to the N64. Ive spent 3 hours yesterday playing it, it looks and plays really great.
Also, Doom 3 looks incredible even to date.

ManaByte

DAMN!! I didnt know that Doom64 is actually a different game. I also thought it was the original game adapted to the N64. Ive spent 3 hours yesterday playing it, it looks and plays really great.
Also, Doom 3 looks incredible even to date.
Back when it was released it was a stunning version of Doom due to the colored lighting.

Gerdav

Someone with more knowledge will pop in and correct me if I'm wrong here, because it's been the better part of a decade since I last booted this game up.

The DLC isn't 100 per cent necessary, but if I recall correctly it does complete the story and offer up some nice alternative experiences.

Prey and Dishonored may be getting native SX versions, so I'm holding off on them too.

Evil Within was great though, if a little dated these days!
I think I will give Evil Within a chance, maybe another open world RPG is not the best idea for me right now anyway, I am still going through the seemingly never ending AC Valhalla, and only got round to starting Cyberpunk a couple of weeks ago.

Mmnow

I think I will give Evil Within a chance, maybe another open world RPG is not the best idea for me right now anyway, I am still going through the seemingly never ending AC Valhalla, and only got round to starting Cyberpunk a couple of weeks ago.
I'm about 75 per cent through Spiderman Remastered after getting completely burned out on Ghost of Tsushima.

And I've got Desperados 3 on the go as well.

When did games get so damn long? I could finish Sonic 2 in less than an hour.

Gerdav

I'm about 75 per cent through Spiderman Remastered after getting completely burned out on Ghost of Tsushima.

And I've got Desperados 3 on the go as well.

When did games get so damn long? I could finish Sonic 2 in less than an hour.

I haven’t even started Spider Man remastered yet, but I imported the PS4 save to get the platinum, Miles Morales was the perfect length for me, I got through it in two weeks over the Christmas break, Ghost of Tsushima I got burned out on too back last summer on PS4, the same thing for Days Gone.

I don’t know if I am just getting old but I really do prefer a tight 8-20 hours experience in the main, with one big open world in rotation, but it’s becoming hard as a high percentage of AAA games seems to be a open or semi open 40+ hours at the moment.

DaGwaphics

You know you've hit rock bottom when a game that looks this similar between systems is getting that much discussion. But, they don't have that base 50% performance advantage they were used to, so it must be a rough go. The new consoles definitely more on par and the same price for comparable models. Win MS.

Dj Khaled GIF by Kids' Choice Awards

Andodalf

Banned
It wouldn't have been so big an issue if:
  • They'd announced what games were getting boosts
  • It was the ultimate edition on Gamepass - or that the ultimate edition/season pass was available to purchase.
  • That there wasn't one DLC inexplicably unavailable to purchase through the Xbox One.
Just those things together is very offputting. When it's fixed in 12 months, I'll feel like I've wasted time or money on an imperfect version of the game, no matter how I approach it.

Which isn't a major problem, because there's a mountain of other games to play and it's easy to hold off on it.
1. They had to wait on that, this was technically day 1 of the companies being together and for things that change games in BC they like to work directly with devs. They'll let folks know about boosts as soon as they can.
2. Games going on Gamepass don't typically offer the DLC because selling the DLC is a part of the business model, Additionally I don't think there is a digital version of the Ultimate edition. Any code just gave you the base game and all DLC as separate items. It shipped as a normal NV disk with a new logo and a DLC disk, and honestly getting it to work with the disks is a total pain on X1/XSX.
3. This sucks, and is probably a legacy code thing. In general I try to use the website to buy 360 content as well.

On the Topic of DLC, they all increase the level cap which is big. The Gun runners arsenal adds a bunch of new guns and mods, and I would say is essential before starting. The other DLC you could wait on, but each of them is amazing and adds new stuff. Honest Hearts is the weakest but has it's fans. Lonesome road finishes the story, which is subtle in the other DLCs, and is the thematic conclusion of the game.

The denial in the NG asylum thread 🎻:messenger_ok: We are in for a delicious generation boys :messenger_savoring:

I had to ignore that thread. It just got so annoying for me. Props to whoever loves posting in there, just not a discussion I want to be part of, personally

I wonder why Doom (2016) wasn't in the Game Pass additions when they placed every other one.

Good question. Either way, the whole BGS catalog will be in there sooner than later. Huge get for Game Pass.

You know you've hit rock bottom when a game that looks this similar between systems is getting that much discussion. But, they don't have that base 50% performance advantage they were used to, so it must be a rough go. The new consoles definitely more on par and the same price for comparable models. Win MS.

Dj Khaled GIF by Kids' Choice Awards' Choice Awards

I just think it’s funny that anytime Series wins a game, Ethomaz hits the devs up on Twitter to ask “what went wrong?”

Last edited:
Top Bottom