• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

-Arcadia-

Banned
On a random side note, I wouldn’t have to, though, if I ever couldn’t afford it. It’s crazy how much good gaming is on GP. There’s been times in my life where I was as poor as it gets, and something like this would have been amazing.

ROMhack

On a random side note, I wouldn’t have to, though, if I ever couldn’t afford it. It’s crazy how much good gaming is on GP. There’s been times in my life where I was as poor as it gets, and something like this would have been amazing.

It's amazing. The only people who seem to take issue with it (more on Reddit) are those who only play blockbuster games, which I'm not getting into as it's an argument that completely comes down to taste.

As somebody who likes to dip in and out of big games, mixing them with smaller indie ones, I'm completely in awe of the options. RPGs are the only thing lacking but there's a few (Vesperia, FFXV and DQ:XI is coming).

Maybe there is a good game hidden somewhere, but, man, Eathshade looks rough. It's pretty ugly and runs like ass.

If I'm being honest, I don't know anything about it. I saw it mentioned somewhere the other day and thought I'd download it and give it a go. If it turns out to be crap, I'll happily drop it.

Last edited:
At some point in the future I know I'm going to go "GP only" and having that option, with 23 studios of first party content to come, is amazing.

For now, if I play a game I enjoy, I'll usually buy it.

RPGs are the only thing lacking but there's a few (Vesperia, FFXV and DQ:XI is coming).

Don't forget the entire Kingdom Hearts series, some 10+ games, are on there right now.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered is definitely worth a replay even if you've played the OG to death. Looks and feels fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
What does everyone think of the textured grips on the new xbox controller? They are almost universally praised but I don't have sweaty hands and prefer a smoother feel, it feels almost too rough. Not a massive deal just curious since everyone else seems to love it 😂😊

Can't wait to dig into emulation at the weekend. I also picked up the Witcher 2, which is the only one in the series I've never played.

I didn't like the idea when I first heard about the textured grips, but in practice I much prefer them.

silentstorm

One thing i can say about Game Pass is that it's bewildering, there is a lot of choice and not enough time to try/play it all, i just stuck playing a few random games but now i am just playing a few and i am certain games will come to Game Pass and leave without playing them.

And that's without counting games i end up purchasing, but really, Game Pass is a great way to try and play some games or genres you normally wouldn't, like racing games to me, and it feels like a great way to make AAA/Blockbuster only people hopefully try out some indie games.

silentstorm

Also, i still have to try a lot of stuff, still haven't tried connecting my Xbox to my PC, which is weak but suprisingly has a 4K monitor(it's weak enough this actually shocks me) and see how to put videos and stuff from my PC into my Xbox and use the VLC app...or i could just stream my PC screen to my TV like i have done before, but still want to try using my Xbox since the option is there.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
RPGs are the only thing lacking but there's a few (Vesperia, FFXV and DQ:XI is coming).

There are tons of RPGs that's one of the best things about Game Pass. In addition to what's already been mentioned there's:

Fallout: NV
All the Mass Effect games
Dragon Age Inquisition & II
The Outer Worlds
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland II & III
The Bard's Tale 4 Directors Cut
All the Fable games

There are probably some other smaller RPGs or JRPGs I'm not interested in too.

asocirev

One aspect in which i am not a hipster, even with the Dpad issues i had, i find this new controller better than the Xbox One in pratically every way, the texture too.

Also, wondering how many people here have bought games even with Game Pass?

I did buy DMC 5 Special Edition and Spyro Reignited Trilogy, considering getting Cuphead too and a few others that aren't on Game Pass right now, and plan to get some games in the future like R-Type Final 2(what, i like shmups and want to support them) as well.

I do find people saying they tried Celeste and other indie games for the first time because of Game Pass, i wonder if this will lead to sales of indie and niche games increasing on Xbox and hopefully more games being ported to it rather than just PC/Switch/PS or a combination of the two?

Having game pass hasn’t stopped me from purchasing, In fact it probably has made me pick up a couple of extra titles I may have not otherwise. I’m the guy who waits for sales and often doesn’t get to a game until after all DLC is out and the game is heavily discounted - but I use game pass to play a game right away and flag it for purchase later.

silentstorm

Anyways, i like Gears, Forza took a while to get used to but it's great, Halo...maybe the single player or other games after the first are better?

Sorry, but when it's not an open section, i have been finding Halo's level design atrocious even before such infamous levels as the Library, when it's inside buildings or spaceships everything tends to look way too samey and i become confused by the layout as rooms or corridors don't tend to actually have much to distinguish them, even in the very first level, every time i saw something different about a room it was already a great thing.

Something about Halo's level design just really tends to bore and annoy me, i assume multiplayer is much better, but doesn't MCC Collection just throw you at different games and different weapons, trying it before beating any single player just seems like a good way to do nothing but get slaughtered.

silentstorm

Can the Series X not use emulators, it seems everytime someone mentions Xbox Series and emulation with Retroarch, it's always the S.

Andodalf

Banned
There are tons of RPGs that's one of the best things about Game Pass. In addition to what's already been mentioned there's:

Fallout: NV
All the Mass Effect games
Dragon Age Inquisition & II
The Outer Worlds
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland II & III
The Bard's Tale 4 Directors Cut
All the Fable games

There are probably some other smaller RPGs or JRPGs I'm not interested in too.

Dragon age origins as well right?

It works the exact same as the S as far as setup and usage. They only mention the S because of its price point, which makes it a relatively inexpensive emulator.

I’ve never played a single PlayStation game. I still think I’ll get a PS5 down the road....but it’s pretty amazing that I could revisit some classic PlayStation titles on my Series X. I’m not completely up to date on the Xbox Series emulation topic...but has this been clamped down lately by MS? Or is there future risk of this being the case? It would suck if I’ve already missed the boat on this. And what an excellent way to scratch that Nintendo nostalgia itch too.

silentstorm

Doesn't seem to offer anything that the regular controller already does honestly, i guess a non-disc shaped Dpad and some extra buttons in the back?

And it's wired, and more expensive, just don't see the point and it's not making me want to go get one fast.

cireza

Banned
Replaying Sekiro on Series X. I am enjoying these 60fps a lot. It actually transformed the game from a pretty frustrating experience to a much easier, and thus pleasant one.

I remember struggling a lot during my first and only playthrough, and actually managed here to beat most enemies and bosses on my first attempt. There were so many instances where I got kind of stuck... And I am someone who has been playing Souls games since Demons Souls (asia version).

I am not discovering 60fps games by the way, I have long known how essential a good framerate is in my games. For Sekiro, it is obviously a must have.

Last edited:

Harts316

Having game pass hasn’t stopped me from purchasing, In fact it probably has made me pick up a couple of extra titles I may have not otherwise. I’m the guy who waits for sales and often doesn’t get to a game until after all DLC is out and the game is heavily discounted - but I use game pass to play a game right away and flag it for purchase later.

Gamepass solidifies me sticking with the XBox this generation. Once it was announced, I ditched the PS4 for the Xbox One X. It's such a good value and I have tried so many games I normally wouldn't have tried before. If a AAA game that I am looking forward to isn't launched on Gamepass from the start, I just buy it.

bhIdUJg.png

Wait, what day is this?

drotahorror

I got a new Xbox Series ? controller today. Really nice and high quality BUT, are the triggers a bit different than other controllers?

When I first push them down, the initial push makes a slight click sound, and then it's smooth all the way to being fully pushed in. This is on both triggers, so I guess it's just normal?

DustQueen

Banned
Is there like an official topic on GAF where I can beg for some XBL friends?
I came back into XBox ecosystem 8 years later... And it is lonely out here...
Being Noobing in Siege n Gears multiplayer all by my self... It is a sad life...

Night.Ninja

Banned
Is there like an official topic on GAF where I can beg for some XBL friends?
I came back into XBox ecosystem 8 years later... And it is lonely out here...
Being Noobing in Siege n Gears multiplayer all by my self... It is a sad life...

This makes me think, why is Xbox gaf not playing with each other? There's plenty of games we call all get together and play, what's everyones excuses?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
:messenger_sad_relieved: I'm sorry friendo, but that game seriously sucks. You on the other hand, you rock.
I just miss you, so I made up that narrative in my head. :messenger_halo: In reality I played 200hrs in a month and had a fully sperged-out meltdown when a game glitch started deleting people's exotics and they didn't fix it.

I'm down to play with some of my GAFbox brothers and sisters. We'll come up with something fun and I'll bring the weed! Fusion Frenzy says "Xbox Live Local Multiplayer", seems oxymoronic. I wonder if it has online MP?

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
guys is this story over there retroarch real? Can I play Super Mario World? the retro compatibility of the S series is very bad on 4k TVs?

quest

Not Banned from OT
What does everyone think of the textured grips on the new xbox controller? They are almost universally praised but I don't have sweaty hands and prefer a smoother feel, it feels almost too rough. Not a massive deal just curious since everyone else seems to love it 😂😊

Can't wait to dig into emulation at the weekend. I also picked up the Witcher 2, which is the only one in the series I've never played.
I like the new textured grip a ton one of the nice QOL features of the new controller. Granted I only use it for games like gears tactics. Anything fast paced still use the elite for the paddles. I need to map stick clicks to those and 86 them.

Top Bottom