• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

-Arcadia-

Banned
I will forever join any Horizon 4 love-in.

Such a fun game. I care less about the open world (although that’s pretty cool too) and just how much fun all the different events, disciplines, core racing, and seasons are.

As someone who likes the idea of a sim, but doesn’t really possess the skill and patience to play them, this is also perfect. It doesn’t feel Ridge Racer silly (as fun as that can be), but it also doesn’t feel so punishing.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m not sure what DF was smoking when they kinda dumped on the Series X version, but it took several jumps higher in quality and fun for me.

60 FPS and 4K together will do that. Maybe that was something they should have emphasized more.

All the same though, they’re not wrong. Stuff like AO being on One X, but not on Series X, is quite the grievance. I think it’s a good idea to point this stuff out and hammer it home, because if Microsoft adds it, the game will look even more unbelievably gorgeous.

KO7

The Xbox marketplace digital Black Friday sale is unreal! Don’t want to buy too many games since Cyberpunk 2077 will take up most of my gaming time starting in a few weeks, but wow. Which games have you guys scooped up?

MDSLKTR

The Xbox marketplace digital Black Friday sale is unreal! Don’t want to buy too many games since Cyberpunk 2077 will take up most of my gaming time starting in a few weeks, but wow. Which games have you guys scooped up?
I'm still waiting for MW 2019 to go on sale but Activision must be thinking it will eat up Black ops sales (which it will).

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
60 FPS and 4K together will do that. Maybe that was something they should have emphasized more.

All the same though, they’re not wrong. Stuff like AO being on One X, but not on Series X, is quite the grievance. I think it’s a good idea to point this stuff out and hammer it home, because if Microsoft adds it, the game will look even more unbelievably gorgeous.

Playground has been very good about improving performance through updates on the PC version, so hopefully as the game is still being supported and updated monthly they'll look at things like this. I think people should be pointing out this type of thing as well.

They should be able to get more out of the game on the XSX hardware. The game seems to be closer to the X1X performance mode upped to 4K than the X1X quality mode upped to 60fps. Even then, I think the game can do more on the Series X than it is. I'm guessing there is a lot of headroom on the Series X version of the game. Medium AO only costs about 4% and makes a big difference, especially with light colored vehicles and environments. The game looks more flat without it.

Left side = Ultra AO (there is no low option on PC), Right side = AO Off. Everything else is Extreme or as high as the game settings allow.
149I70m.jpg

Ultra - 4K/104 fps
wFSxUv1.jpg

Med - 4K/115 fps
FWGdBzJ.jpg

OFF - 4K/120fps
ckSIjdX.jpg

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I’m simply stunned at how good Forza Horizon 4 is. I played it for a couple of weeks on my One X, then made the jump with it over to the Series X. I’m not sure what DF was smoking when they kinda dumped on the Series X version, but it took several jumps higher in quality and fun for me.

Totally unrelated...I‘m incredibly interested at how Valhalla runs on the Series X post-patch tomorrow. I’ve been holding off buying it until improvements were made. Fingers crossed. 🤞

ac valhalla pre patch is more than ok anyways. But yeah, without the tearing would be much better.

Hostile_18

Banned
Last edited:
Havent looked into it at all, but it is possible to do this easily now for the end user now?

Any chance they MS could block it?

MS can block the workaround using Edge, but they won't block dev mode, it's an important security tool and emulation is kind of the point, if unofficially.

I'd say it's fairly easy to do now and it's definitely way more mainstream

Hostile_18

Banned
MS can block the workaround using Edge, but they won't block dev mode, it's an important security tool and emulation is kind of the point, if unofficially.

I'd say it's fairly easy to do now and it's definitely way more mainstream

Can't wait to dig into emulation. Feel so happy I chose both consoles over PC. Don't think I'm missing out on anything.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Happy Thanksgiving, Xbox Gaf, and thanks for a really cool thread to spend time in. I’d like to call out @Hix Bernkastel Bernkastel and nikolino840 nikolino840 in particular, for always keeping us up with the latest news, which is super-appreciated, and makes this thread constantly have fresh, fun things to read, but it’s a lot of people here.

If I missed any of the news linkers, you are appreciated too. I just haven’t been around too long.

Remember to rotate your turkeys on the spit, cooking them at all angles above the Series X vent.

silentstorm

Don't know about you guys, but i tried Killer Instinct and Bloodstained, doing the first kick move i found for Miriam is tough with the Dpad and same goes for moves in Killer Instinct, i swear i am doing the QCF motion but Jago rarely does the hadouken like move, it is easier with the stick though but these games were made with Dpads in mind.

Heck whenever a prompt appears in Bloodstained, it shows a Dpad, don't know why i am having so much trouble with this, is it my controller having issues, everything else works fine i just have a tough time pulling fighting like combinations with the Dpad.

splattered

Does Retroarch include MAME emulation? Any arcade board stuff like Capcom? I modded my OG Xbox back in the day and had thousands upon thousands of older ROMs though i stopped bothering with that stuff over a decade ago.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Happy Thanksgiving, Xbox Gaf, and thanks for a really cool thread to spend time in. I’d like to call out @Hix Bernkastel Bernkastel and nikolino840 nikolino840 in particular, for always keeping us up with the latest news, which is super-appreciated, and makes this thread constantly have fresh, fun things to read, but it’s a lot of people here.

If I missed any of the news linkers, you are appreciated too. I just haven’t been around too long.

Remember to rotate your turkeys on the spit, cooking them at all angles above the Series X vent.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all our Xbros.

I'm thankful to Bernkastel Bernkastel , @Hix and nikolino840 nikolino840 for all the great work you guys do to keep us all informed with the latest Xbox news.

I am thankful for all the great posters in our quiet little oasis here, far from the battle lines of the Great Console War of 2020.

And I'm really thankful I was fortunate enough to score a preorder on the Series X. I truly love this damn machine.

ROMhack

Must admit, I was tempted to go back into Halo because it'd been so long. I got three levels in before I realised how little fun I was having. I spent so much time playing Halo as a kid but I guess I just grew out of it? Suddenly really uninterested in Infinite now :messenger_neutral:

Anyway, not a massive deal! I've finished Bloodstained and Garden Between Worlds this week. Both really good games; one a gruelling metroidvania and the other just a nice friendly short puzzler :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Next up is Ori, then Eastshade, then Knights and Bikes, then whatever I want MOM

Don't know about you guys, but i tried Killer Instinct and Bloodstained, doing the first kick move i found for Miriam is tough with the Dpad and same goes for moves in Killer Instinct, i swear i am doing the QCF motion but Jago rarely does the hadouken like move, it is easier with the stick though but these games were made with Dpads in mind.

Heck whenever a prompt appears in Bloodstained, it shows a Dpad, don't know why i am having so much trouble with this, is it my controller having issues, everything else works fine i just have a tough time pulling fighting like combinations with the Dpad.

FWIW I had a hard time doing diagonal down slashes in Bloodstained. The Frogs were a pain.

Last edited:

Emedan

Must admit, I was tempted to go back into Halo because it'd been so long. I got three levels in before I realised how little fun I was having. I spent so much time playing Halo as a kid but I guess I just grew out of it? Suddenly really uninterested in Infinite now :messenger_neutral:

Man I'm the opposite, just recently disovered Game Pass and signed up for PC. Currently playing through the whole MCC. Back in 01/02 I sold my GameCube so I could buy and OG Xbox just for Halo, played Halo 1 and 2 back then and loved it. Haven't revisited them since now almost 20 years later and I thought they held up great. Never owned a 360 so haven't played any other Halos than 1 and 2 previously. Last week, almost 20 years after having finished Halo 2 I finally "Finished the fight" by beating Halo 3, currently playing Halo 4 though I don't enjoy it nearly as much as 1-3.

Having been mainly a PC gamer since then but now discovering Game Pass I'm seriously considering buying and Xbox Series X. I don't play enough to justify upgrading my PC for another $1,500, but $600 aint that much of a stretch.

Playground didn’t do the FH4 port

No they didn't, but they do update the game every month. PG does the performance and bug fixes on all versions of the game. If anyone is going to look at the missing AO and fix it, it will be the team that works on the game updates at PG, but they'll only do it if enough people tell them to.

Pantz

Gold Member

$19.99 Control Ultimate Edition (for the free next-gen upgrade)
$31.99 Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time (Since hearing Ninja Gaiden II? team worked on it and Itagaki is in credits as "supreme advisor")
$25.99 Metro Exodus Gold Edition (for the free next-gen upgrade)
$13.19 Outward (curious enough at this price)
$5.99 Earth's Dawn (on wishlist for a while, looks like a Vanillaware game)

djjinx2

Currently playing Forza Horizon 4 and man is it awesome. Loved the intro to the game they way it seemlesly jumped between different races, seasons.

Love the festival atmosphere, car handling, graphics, race variety, the fact that we have an avatar (with a lot of names to choose from that people actually call you by. My name was thankfully in the list cause it is so basic. xD) and actual "story" cutscenes.

Menus are nice and slick, load times ultra fast. Haven't been this hooked on a racing game for a long time.

Also started playing Gears Ultimate. Played only 1&2 on the 360 back in the day. Excited to play through all the Gears games now.

Same thing with Halo. Never played any of them and now started Halo 1. Also having a ton of fun. Starting to see why people like the series. ;)

Don't sleep on the LEGO DLC, it is so fuckin good. On sale right now afaik. I paid £4 on the Brazil store for example!

KO7

$19.99 Control Ultimate Edition (for the free next-gen upgrade)
$31.99 Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time (Since hearing Ninja Gaiden II? team worked on it and Itagaki is in credits as "supreme advisor")
$25.99 Metro Exodus Gold Edition (for the free next-gen upgrade)
$13.19 Outward (curious enough at this price)
$5.99 Earth's Dawn (on wishlist for a while, looks like a Vanillaware game)

Nice! I haven’t pulled the trigger on any purchases yet, but a few titles depend on whether or not I choose to keep my Game Pass subscription going.

So far, I’m tempted to get Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate, Hitman 2, Witcher 3 GOTY, and possibly one of NHL21 or NBA2K21.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all our Xbros.

I'm thankful to Bernkastel Bernkastel , @Hix and nikolino840 nikolino840 for all the great work you guys do to keep us all informed with the latest Xbox news.

I am thankful for all the great posters in our quiet little oasis here, far from the battle lines of the Great Console War of 2020.

And I'm really thankful I was fortunate enough to score a preorder on the Series X. I truly love this damn machine.

Amen to all of that. This is easily my preferred hangout on this forum. Good folk. And the Series X an amazing mixture of quietness and beastliness.

And to our American cousins let me wish y’all a happy and safe Thanksgiving from here North of the border (we Canucks have our TG in October).

And I should mention that the early reports of the Valhalla Xbox Series patch are promising. Seeing things like “Series S REDEEMED!” as well. This is good to see as I have a soft spot for the little scamp. Trying to find an excuse to buy one. 😊

Last edited:

silentstorm

Maybe there is a good game hidden somewhere, but, man, Eathshade looks rough. It's pretty ugly and runs like ass.
I had a strange issue with draw distance and NPC's, basically they just seem to appear and dissapear in one frame if i take a step near or away from them, right in the ship where you wake up, the next room, i could see the entire room, and there was this empty chair, one step further and out pops a NPC in one frame, looking at the tallest building in the first village, there is a deer kid running in circles and he would just appear and dissapear depending on how far away he was, but the rest of the city was always visible.

It bugged the hell out of me and broke immersion so hard i gave up on the game, i don't mind the idea of a non-violent RPG, but i guess i prefer my games to not have NPC's popping and out of existence in one frame depending on how close i am to them.

silentstorm

Thinking of trying Forza Horizon 4 again, people here seem to like it, i just had a really tough time with it when trying it, the other racing games i tried i found the cars easier to drive, even with assists on, Forza was harder to control, and without assists?

Oh boy, hitting walls became even more common, just a hard time knowing when and how to drift in that game.
Just a bunch of old games everybody has already played and indie games nobody wants to play. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
...I think you overestimate the amount of money or time that people have, i haven't played all of those games and i do like indie games, and this is coming from someone who has little to no interest in quite a few games on Game Pass.

But yeah, exclusive games at launch would have been nice, Game Pass still offers a lot of games for 12 bucks and will...a few years from now get 1st party titles there on day 1, and maybe some other developers if they agree to it, i think Bethesda already agreed to release all their games to Game Pass day 1.

That being said, i guess for people with a ton of money and time, Game Pass is awful, but for others like me, it's amazing and i will just be playing games.

Kagey K

Banned
Thinking of trying Forza Horizon 4 again, people here seem to like it, i just had a really tough time with it when trying it, the other racing games i tried i found the cars easier to drive, even with assists on, Forza was harder to control, and without assists?

Oh boy, hitting walls became even more common, just a hard time knowing when and how to drift in that game.

...I think you overestimate the amount of money or time that people have, i haven't played all of those games and i do like indie games, and this is coming from someone who has little to no interest in quite a few games on Game Pass.

But yeah, exclusive games at launch would have been nice, Game Pass still offers a lot of games for 12 bucks and will...a few years from now get 1st party titles there on day 1, and maybe some other developers if they agree to it, i think Bethesda already agreed to release all their games to Game Pass day 1.

That being said, i guess for people with a ton of money and time, Game Pass is awful, but for others like me, it's amazing and i will just be playing games.
Sorry I should have put a /s after.

I was making fun the meme that's been going around here for a while about Gamepass.

silentstorm

Still have to play it, i do own it on PC though, these days i am just abandoning my really weak PC and just playing games on my Xbox, but i guess if i play Wandersong, i won't be paying for it again and just playing on my PC.

Also, is it just me or do a lot of games just hate subtitles and make text annoyingly small?

Halo MCC has the subtitles being a decent size compared to others at least, but the in-game text is absurdly small on my TV, i can barely read what weapons are on the ground in the first Halo game unless i stand really close to the TV.

In other words, the days where people can just sit in a couch or lay in bed a bit away from the TV and still see everything don't seem to have arrived yet unless the developer actually cares about that kind of thing.
FWIW I had a hard time doing diagonal down slashes in Bloodstained. The Frogs were a pain.
With the stick it becomes a lot easier, i could see myself getting used to playing 2D games with it, also, tried one thing and it's not perfect but i found it helps, put your finger in the middle of the Dpad and do the motions as you play the game, but keep it pressed in the middle and just angle your finger, not really grinding the edges of the Dpad, just putting your finger in the middle and angling it as you go along.

It seemed to help for me, also Bloodstained is awesome, i did get it on my PC, but you know how i said it's weak?

Well, my weak laptop, despite running some games i think are more intensive than Bloodstained, ran the game with a lot of slowdowns and even with weaker graphical settings, just too much stutter and slowdown, the XSX has been a great thing for a previously amazingly poor PC gamer that a place like 4Chan would describe as poorfag, i didn't beat the game the first time because the slowdown just made it not fun at all, but playing the game with no slowdown at all makes for a much better experience i can tell you that.

It's actually enjoyable now and yep, Bloodstained is great.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't know if target is trolling me but looks like it is raining gamepass ultimate cards. I ordered 3 got those now 2 more showed up. I am going to try them in a bit. Want to do them on my console last code free month trick didn't work.

Alx

Games leaving Game Pass soon..

Jt0VArG.png

Nothing of value was lost.

I liked Mutant Year Zero a lot, actually, and played it from beginning to end. Might be worth trying before it leaves GP for those who like turn-based strategy (ok with the release of Gears Tactics they may have enough on their hands already... as a matter of fact I started considering playing Gears T because of Mutant Year Zero)

Hostile_18

Banned
What does everyone think of the textured grips on the new xbox controller? They are almost universally praised but I don't have sweaty hands and prefer a smoother feel, it feels almost too rough. Not a massive deal just curious since everyone else seems to love it 😂😊

Can't wait to dig into emulation at the weekend. I also picked up the Witcher 2, which is the only one in the series I've never played.

silentstorm

One aspect in which i am not a hipster, even with the Dpad issues i had, i find this new controller better than the Xbox One in pratically every way, the texture too.

Also, wondering how many people here have bought games even with Game Pass?

I did buy DMC 5 Special Edition and Spyro Reignited Trilogy, considering getting Cuphead too and a few others that aren't on Game Pass right now, and plan to get some games in the future like R-Type Final 2(what, i like shmups and want to support them) as well.

I do find people saying they tried Celeste and other indie games for the first time because of Game Pass, i wonder if this will lead to sales of indie and niche games increasing on Xbox and hopefully more games being ported to it rather than just PC/Switch/PS or a combination of the two?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Also, wondering how many people here have bought games even with Game Pass?

I did buy DMC 5 Special Edition and Spyro Reignited Trilogy, considering getting Cuphead too and a few others that aren't on Game Pass right now, and plan to get some games in the future like R-Type Final 2(what, i like shmups and want to support them) as well.

I have. I see GamePass the same way I do my streaming services. A really wonderful, convenient thing that’s always giving me content, but if there’s something I want at that moment that’s not on it, absolutely I will buy it.

Top Bottom