• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Night.Ninja

Banned
Same, I think some of give the trolls way to much attention. I've actually stopped posting in a lot of those threads. At the end of the day it's just a console there is way more important things in life to focus energy on.

Tbh they are all garbage apart from the original one

silentstorm

Forgotton Anne looks pretty, also, isn't Steep the game where an ad for the game caused a professional athlete to die?

Also, popular Youtuber made a video calling out the Xbox for no exclusives:

I guess it didn't come out with exclusives and it's mostly old games but i am enjoying my Xbox a lot at least, but the comment sections are vicious, and they joke about Forza in a way that makes me think Keef's viewers aren't really into simulations of any kind, also, even as a normal newcomer who has a car in real life, i can assure you that i would never drive a car like i do in Forza and other racing games, if i didn't end up dead, i would have big enough repair bills to buy several Xboxes and PS5's from scalpers, there's just a simple rush to driving really fast and avoiding cars and obstacles or maybe hitting them and not caring.

ROMhack

Forgotton Anne looks pretty, also, isn't Steep the game where an ad for the game caused a professional athlete to die?

I guess it didn't come out with exclusives and it's mostly old games but i am enjoying my Xbox a lot at least, but the comment sections are vicious, and they joke about Forza in a way that makes me think Keef's viewers aren't really into simulations of any kind, also, even as a normal newcomer who has a car in real life, i can assure you that i would never drive a car like i do in Forza and other racing games, if i didn't end up dead, i would have big enough repair bills to buy several Xboxes and PS5's from scalpers, there's just a simple rush to driving really fast and avoiding cars and obstacles or maybe hitting them and not caring.

It's a view espoused by vocal gamers who go around professing themselves as 'hardcore' despite only playing the newest blockbuster releases. I have no idea at which point this started happening but it's definitely a trend and all over the internet.

I think 'hardcore' is a better description of people who play a wide variety of games but whatevz. They can keep pretending.

Last edited:
Games leaving Game Pass soon..

Jt0VArG.png

Nothing of value was lost.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
lol the pic has to be sent to xbox mods before being confirmed. so much for being cheeky.

I just updated mine. It said it had to go to the mods but I refreshed 10 seconds later and it is updated. It's probably an automated thing to make sure people aren't uploading dicks or whatever.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Games leaving Game Pass soon..

Jt0VArG.png

Nothing of value was lost.

I actually think I wanna hop into absolver real quick on Seires X just to see if the performance is ironed out. I really liked the idea of that game but it ran like utter shit.

Also Mutant Year Zero and Devils Tilt are good games fam.

Last edited:

silentstorm

Wandersong seems good, Demon's Tilt is awesome and is the closest thing to a Devil Crush game we've had in years, it's very much a great video pinball game(pinball that outright does things that would be impossible in real tables) that deserves some love, found it a ton of fun on PC.

The others i haven't tried nor really care, also, if i recall, First Party games will always be on Game Pass and even future ones that get there on day 1 won't ever leave, right?

That's a great way of making your games that don't come to PS5 and Switch look more attractive, screw paying 70 dollars for it, 12 bucks and you get to play it and a lot more games too.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

But that video posted, was really funny : D

silentstorm

DQ XI is one i will absolutely play, also, in case i am playing a game on Game Pass and it's taken out, if i end up buying the game, are the saves still there or would i lose all my progress?

silentstorm

Also, saw that Ori And The Will Of The Wisps won Xbox Game Of The Year at the Game Year awards, i think those are won by voting, The Last Of Us 2 was the GOTY and also the Playstation GOTY.

Either way, i am happy for Ori and the devs went on Twitter to thank Xbox gamers for voting on their game, and it's a deserved vote as Ori is an amazing game.

It also maybe went against stereotype, as Xbox gamers are usually depicted as FPS fans who only play AAA games or multiplayer only, thus a single player 2D indie game being the game that won the most votes is so anti-stereotype it's amazing.

reksveks

Quite a few of these I'm interested in, but DQ11 on Game Pass is absolutely essential

Trying to get through DQ XI and Yakuza at the same time is a true challenge, all before CP2077. Think I might have to push back on a game, probably Yakuza.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

Restock coming before summer 2021 so...

Still can't believe they were pretending like things were still good to go back in June. Phil needs to take some steps to get things right at 343. So far, I'm not seeing that happen. Joe joining the team is great but Chris Lee "leaving" isn't. There are a handful of leaders that have made a bunch of decisions that has lead to a decade of waning relevancy for the franchise. I don't see things turning around anytime soon. Assuming MP has the same grapple, sprint, slide gameplay of the SP demo then I think the game will be DOA.

I think Phil has absolutely crushed it as head of Xbox but his failure to take action earlier with 343 and to a lesser extent The Coalition are in my opinion his greatest short comings.

Really curious to see what they come up with. I tried Luna via Safari on iOS and it was unplayable meanwhile the xCloud beta on iOS wasn't that bad. I'm not convinced that a safari solution will be feasible. I think the only way that anyone get's what they want here is going to be through a collaborative effort to starve Apple for developer support. Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Netflix etc all hold the power here to starve iOS for content but I don't think anyone is willing to jeopardize the status-quo.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
With the Sony fanboys trolling Xbox non-stop, is it just me or or does their precious appear to be an absolute buggy mess? I mean there is a proliferation of threads detailing all kinds of problems numerous members here are having. Most of them just downplay or make excuses like, "Well, it's only crashed 4 times and shut down 1 time but other than that it's been flawless" or " Yeah the coil whine is really loud and annoying but it's not as bad as the PS4 fan so I don't mind it" 🤪

I thought my Series X black-screened for no reason the other day and I totally freaked out. It turned out my cat stepped on the TV remote and turned off the TV. When I turned the TV back on the Xbox was waiting for me to get back into my game. All the problems PS5 is having makes me nervous my Xbox might start having problems too, but at least so far it's been great as long as my damn cat doesn't turn off the TV. :messenger_beaming:

Still can't believe they were pretending like things were still good to go back in June. Phil needs to take some steps to get things right at 343. So far, I'm not seeing that happen. Joe joining the team is great but Chris Lee "leaving" isn't. There are a handful of leaders that have made a bunch of decisions that has lead to a decade of waning relevancy for the franchise. I don't see things turning around anytime soon. Assuming MP has the same grapple, sprint, slide gameplay of the SP demo then I think the game will be DOA.

I think Phil has absolutely crushed it as head of Xbox but his failure to take action earlier with 343 and to a lesser extent The Coalition are in my opinion his greatest short comings.

Really curious to see what they come up with. I tried Luna via Safari on iOS and it was unplayable meanwhile the xCloud beta on iOS wasn't that bad. I'm not convinced that a safari solution will be feasible. I think the only way that anyone get's what they want here is going to be through a collaborative effort to starve Apple for developer support. Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Netflix etc all hold the power here to starve iOS for content but I don't think anyone is willing to jeopardize the status-quo.

No disrespect to you , I just fail to see how he’s crushed it in all honesty. Personally I think if he was running another platform he’d be getting more criticism and vice versa . It’s like Gamepass is his saving grace.

I accept things were not exactly smooth to say the least before he took over. He was head of first party at the time and I feel the only time he’s really delivered was back then with the likes of Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break and a pretty decent Xbox One launch window which had some momentum . It feels like he gets way more of a pass than he deserves, as do others there. It is galling to me to say the least because I’d love to say the opposite and that he has crushed it particularly the way some folk on here act like complete pricks over what is supposedly a fun hobby/pass time.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
With the Sony fanboys trolling Xbox non-stop, is it just me or or does their precious appear to be an absolute buggy mess? I mean there is a proliferation of threads detailing all kinds of problems numerous members here are having. Most of them just downplay or make excuses like, "Well, it's only crashed 4 times and shut down 1 time but other than that it's been flawless" or " Yeah the coil whine is really loud and annoying but it's not as bad as the PS4 fan so I don't mind it" 🤪

I thought my Series X black-screened for no reason the other day and I totally freaked out. It turned out my cat stepped on the TV remote and turned off the TV. When I turned the TV back on the Xbox was waiting for me to get back into my game. All the problems PS5 is having makes me nervous my Xbox might start having problems too, but at least so far it's been great as long as my damn cat doesn't turn off the TV. :messenger_beaming:
PS4 was (in 2014 where I got mine) same, it was really terrible experience. Nothing to play, so I was playing X360 and PS3 and still I have to buy AC4 to quench my thirst for games. Suffice to say, again on next-gen. Last gen was fucking shitshow in many aspects. Well this gen I am still not having XSX, so that's not that much better.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

99% of the stuff fanboys brag about or disparage the opposite console for are things that honestly don't matter anywhere outside of forums. All comes down to price and library.

I am not an animal person at all. Don't like them living with me. They belong outdoors. That said, I had a relatives dog for a period of time. Little guy put his nose on the touch sensitive power button on the Xbox One I had at the time and turned off the console during the middle of a Destiny 1 raid. I was a little frustrated but also pretty amused. He had no idea what he did, he was just happy to lounge around in the room with me. I miss that little guy.

No disrespect to you , I just fail to see how he’s crushed it in all honesty. Personally I think if he was running another platform he’d be getting more criticism and vice versa . It’s like Gamepass is his saving grace.

I accept things were not exactly smooth to say the least before he took over. He was head of first party at the time and I feel the only time he’s really delivered was back then with the likes of Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break and a pretty decent Xbox One launch window which had some momentum . It feels like he gets way more of a pass than he deserves, as do others there. It is galling to me to say the least because I’d love to say the opposite and that he has crushed it particularly the way some folk on here act like complete pricks over what is supposedly a fun hobby/pass time.
I would say it is three fold-hardware, software/services, and first party.

Hardware wise he turned things around from Kinect/TV. Pulling Kinect out of the equation and then refocusing the hardware on performance with the One X and Series S|X.

On the software/service front there is obviously Game Pass but also the move to make Xbox platform agnostic with games on Windows Store/Steam and streaming. I think back compat is huge and frankly I'm not sure we would have seen it if not for Phil.

On the first party side he has done a lot to expand the studios and acquire new ones. Bethesda and Obsidian are both huge and overall the first party lineup is looking bright. That said, I do think he has been weak on correcting the trajectory of floundering studios like 343 and The Coalition and pulling the plug on projects that clearly don't have a market or ROI like Bleeding Edge and Grounded.

He isn't perfect but I think he as been a good leader for Xbox. There are some things that he could have done/be doing better but overall I appreciate what he as done. I don't envy the position he inherited. Weak hardware focused on TV and copying the 10 year old Wii and a nonexistent first party. I think it was really a two step journey for him. First to get things right on the hardware/software side and then to get things right with first party studios. It is tough to communicate the fact that it will be years before the fruits of the reworked first party are really seen. I don't think the community does him or the brand any favors when they act like Xbox has all of these great games coming out tomorrow. It'll take a while-years even.

All in all, I think Phil and Jim are both great leaders for Xbox/PS and I think both of them take more flak than they deserve. Both of them are much better than their predecessors. That said, I also find the blind praise that some fanboys express. It's just weird and embarrassing.

99% of the stuff fanboys brag about or disparage the opposite console for are things that honestly don't matter anywhere outside of forums. All comes down to price and library.

I am not an animal person at all. Don't like them living with me. They belong outdoors. That said, I had a relatives dog for a period of time. Little guy put his nose on the touch sensitive power button on the Xbox One I had at the time and turned off the console during the middle of a Destiny 1 raid. I was a little frustrated but also pretty amused. He had no idea what he did, he was just happy to lounge around in the room with me. I miss that little guy.

I would say it is three fold-hardware, software/services, and first party.

Hardware wise he turned things around from Kinect/TV. Pulling Kinect out of the equation and then refocusing the hardware on performance with the One X and Series S|X.

On the software/service front there is obviously Game Pass but also the move to make Xbox platform agnostic with games on Windows Store/Steam and streaming. I think back compat is huge and frankly I'm not sure we would have seen it if not for Phil.

On the first party side he has done a lot to expand the studios and acquire new ones. Bethesda and Obsidian are both huge and overall the first party lineup is looking bright. That said, I do think he has been weak on correcting the trajectory of floundering studios like 343 and The Coalition and pulling the plug on projects that clearly don't have a market or ROI like Bleeding Edge and Grounded.

He isn't perfect but I think he as been a good leader for Xbox. There are some things that he could have done/be doing better but overall I appreciate what he as done. I don't envy the position he inherited. Weak hardware focused on TV and copying the 10 year old Wii and a nonexistent first party. I think it was really a two step journey for him. First to get things right on the hardware/software side and then to get things right with first party studios. It is tough to communicate the fact that it will be years before the fruits of the reworked first party are really seen. I don't think the community does him or the brand any favors when they act like Xbox has all of these great games coming out tomorrow. It'll take a while-years even.

All in all, I think Phil and Jim are both great leaders for Xbox/PS and I think both of them take more flak than they deserve. Both of them are much better than their predecessors. That said, I also find the blind praise that some fanboys express. It's just weird and embarrassing.

I accept your points and also, it’s a well written response too. There are things I disagree with in there however I appreciate the lack of snark and pettiness some usually give.

It has to be said and it’s clear I’m not much of a fan of his reign so far (this multi platform performance is another “oh ffs” moment), it’s very easy for me to criticise and say these things as I’ve never been in charge of a business of that magnitude. I appreciate it can be tough to say the least but as a Xbox fan since OG and someone who buys all consoles and a lot of games, his reign is just not doing for it me, even when they announce a event like E3 I feel more wary than excited in recent years. It’s the disappointment after disappointment that does that (that’s subjective I know).

One thing you said, that, if I was there, what would I have done differently? Software first then hardware. Yes they had a power difference problem however the Switch and even the PS2 had weaker hardware than others, content is king. Adjust hardware price then a complete focus on software till the end of the generation. Such as:

343: A separate team in place whilst Guardians was finishing to develop a new game and IP whilst the next Halo is underway.

The Coalition: Again same process . A new IP and game targeted for 2017/18 with Gears 5 being targeted for the launch period of XSX/S to showcase that new hardware. If Infinite was looking like a possible delay , the new Gears of War could cushion the blow.

Forza: Instead of FM8 & FH4, a new PGR is in place and delay FH4 or FM8 for launch window of XSX/S. PGR by Playground for example, straight up arcade non open world racing could be stunning IMO.

Stuff like that. As I said easier said than done of course but those are my ideas for what they are worth.

Elias

Through our own sourcing, we've heard from developers at two separate publishers that Microsoft is working to issue a GDK (game development kit) platform update before the end of the year to address specific bugs that cause performance degradation in certain situations. Whether this is the same bug across the board that seems to be draining performance in games like Observer and DiRT 5 remains to be seen, but it's certainly not without precedent for a new video game console to launch with these kinds of issues.

Performance and Stability

• Improved stability and performance.
  • (Xbox Series) Improved experience on Xbox Series S | X consoles including screen tearing

Things are about to get interesting.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Got the S Series today, well I opened it today as I've had it since launch. And wow was I impressed how small it is and how smart it is. Fired up Assetto Corsa Competizone and I was very impressed how it runs on this little £250 console as it runs like proper dog shit on Xb1 and a bit better on XB1X but 4k on that.

Anyway a dummy question.
Is it possible to copy my games from internal drive on XSX directly to XSS via ethernet cable or is it a case of copy to hard drive then to XSS ?

reksveks

Got the S Series today, well I opened it today as I've had it since launch. And wow was I impressed how small it is and how smart it is. Fired up Assetto Corsa Competizone and I was very impressed how it runs on this little £250 console as it runs like proper dog shit on Xb1 and a bit better on XB1X but 4k on that.

Anyway a dummy question.
Is it possible to copy my games from internal drive on XSX directly to XSS via ethernet cable or is it a case of copy to hard drive then to XSS ?
If you have both on the same network, you can do network transfer, I forgot where in the settings it is but its there and you can choose specific games to copy across.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
If you have both on the same network, you can do network transfer, I forgot where in the settings it is but its there and you can choose specific games to copy across.
I've done that before on Xb1 and it takes longer than copying to external hd etc unless its faster on new machines.
Thanks anyway.

oldergamer

Things are about to get interesting.
Sounds like it will. It would be pretty nice if they can shut up a few armchair developers. Will wait and see.

silentstorm

For some reason, just not having as much of a great time with Forza Horizon 4 as i was expecting, the driving just feels more awkward and less fun than Burnout or Hotshot Racing, starting to think i just prefer arcade racers overall.

Also, the worst thing about Game Pass rotation?

Now i am just avoiding playing the RPG's that are there, i didn't have any console last gen so Kingdom Hearts looks good, and i didn't play FF XIV either, but now i just wonder what happens if i take too long playing them and they get out, i doubt Square-Enix will let their games be there for years.

Javthusiast

Banned

Dunno why they removed this feature for the app, but glad it's back. Now achievements please.

Moderators have to approve the image you upload first. Considering my avatar hasn't changed in the last 24 hours means they didn't like the hot chick and her cleavage I uploaded.

It was still a classy image Xbox, come on. xD

Andodalf

Banned
For some reason, just not having as much of a great time with Forza Horizon 4 as i was expecting, the driving just feels more awkward and less fun than Burnout or Hotshot Racing, starting to think i just prefer arcade racers overall.

Also, the worst thing about Game Pass rotation?

Now i am just avoiding playing the RPG's that are there, i didn't have any console last gen so Kingdom Hearts looks good, and i didn't play FF XIV either, but now i just wonder what happens if i take too long playing them and they get out, i doubt Square-Enix will let their games be there for years.

FF 14? Do you mean 15 as 14 isn’t on Xbox yet.

If you do mean 15, play it right now! 🤪

SirTerry-T

I have received my Series X a couple days ago and everything has been awesome.

Setting up the console was quick and easy, I found that the Xbox app was a pretty neat idea and it worked perfectly.
I plugged my external HD and saw all my games appearing in the dashboard. Launching whatever game has it download my saves from the cloud.

This is what I call a great user experience.

Console is quiet.

1rGIlq1.jpg

Also got the Sega Sonic Blue Controller, can't wait to play some Sonic with it ! I have Unleashed to try...

I have been playing Bloodstained since I got the console. I had already played both Curse of the Moon games (they are awesome games). I think that Iga really delivered on his promise with these games, and deserves great respect. This man know how to manage a video-game development project, even if he did take more time than estimated of course. But it turned out really well.

Bloodstained is great fun so far, a true Igavania experience. It plays perfectly well, runs smoothly, loading times are non-existent.

Great experience. Can't wait to try some other games, such as FF XV and Code Vein, to see how the loadings are improved on these.
Seeing that series X next to a Dreamcast brings on the warm and fuzzy feelings.

Javthusiast

Banned
Currently playing Forza Horizon 4 and man is it awesome. Loved the intro to the game they way it seemlesly jumped between different races, seasons.

Love the festival atmosphere, car handling, graphics, race variety, the fact that we have an avatar (with a lot of names to choose from that people actually call you by. My name was thankfully in the list cause it is so basic. xD) and actual "story" cutscenes.

Menus are nice and slick, load times ultra fast. Haven't been this hooked on a racing game for a long time.

Also started playing Gears Ultimate. Played only 1&2 on the 360 back in the day. Excited to play through all the Gears games now.

Same thing with Halo. Never played any of them and now started Halo 1. Also having a ton of fun. Starting to see why people like the series. ;)

Currently playing Forza Horizon 4 and man is it awesome. Loved the intro to the game they way it seemlesly jumped between different races, seasons.

I’m simply stunned at how good Forza Horizon 4 is. I played it for a couple of weeks on my One X, then made the jump with it over to the Series X. I’m not sure what DF was smoking when they kinda dumped on the Series X version, but it took several jumps higher in quality and fun for me.

Totally unrelated...I‘m incredibly interested at how Valhalla runs on the Series X post-patch tomorrow. I’ve been holding off buying it until improvements were made. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Top Bottom