• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping they pull off an amazing show this month, hyped to see what their studios have in store. I'm especially interested in seeing what Obsidian, Playground Games and The Initiative have been working on, does anyone know if there will be third-party games present at this event or is it just solely dedicated to first-party?

Also that tweet by Daniel Ahmad, I'm like 99.9% sure Microsoft's gonna announce the date for this month's event (Thursday, July 23rd) in a few hours.
Could be, didn't they use to do information releases on Monday? I believe the console spec release on Xbox Wire was also on a Monday, and there are probably some other examples too.

3liteDragon

Could be, didn't they use to do information releases on Monday? I believe the console spec release on Xbox Wire was also on a Monday, and there are probably some other examples too.
Yup, full specs were released on Monday, they confirmed Series X was RDNA 2 on a Monday (Feb 24th) as well. As for this announcement, I'm expecting it to drop at 5am PST or 6am PST.

Dory16

Banned
Now that the 4th of July weekend has passed, I would expect them to announce a date for the event imminently. By this time in 2013 there was a price and pre-orders were open. May be that happens at the event too.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Since this is a next gen "Xbox OT" not just Series X, it also includes xCloud and ofcourse the PC Xbox store. So, I will put Age of Empires 4 under Worlds Edge in the game list post.

Mr.ODST

Cant wait to see what MS have in store! Feels like them giving up on the Xbox One half way through this gen has literally all led up to the Series X being their "go all in", were finally at that moment

yHxYYwP.jpg

The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the people you want, wherever you want. And for many of us, nothing is more inspiring than the dawn of a new console generation.
XboxSeriesXTech_Inline1.jpg

CPU8x Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.6 GHz w/ SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU
GPU12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs @ 1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU
Die Size360.45 mm2
Process7nm Enhanced
Memory16 GB GDDR6 w/ 320b bus
Memory Bandwidth10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s
Internal Storage1 TB Custom NVME SSD
I/O Throughput2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block)
Expandable Storage1 TB Expansion Card (matches internal storage exactly)
External StorageUSB 3.2 External HDD Support
Optical Drive4K UHD Blu-Ray Drive
Performance Target4K @ 60 FPS, Up to 120 FPS

Re-engineered inside out
As we enter a new generation of console gaming with the Xbox Series X, hardware and software innovations enable the amazing possibilities for the future of games.

Designed for speed and performance
The Xbox Velocity Architecture unlocks new speed & performance capabilities through the groundbreaking combination of hardware, a custom 1TB SSD & CPU and deep software integration, to make for richer and more dynamic living worlds unlike anything ever seen before.

Read More

Play more, wait less
A new feature powered by the technical capabilities and the innovative Xbox Velocity Architecture in Xbox Series X, Quick Resume enables players to seamlessly switch between multiple titles and resume instantly from where you last left off.
Gamers will experience more time playing and less time waiting as loading times will be greatly decreased thanks to the processing power of Xbox Series X.

The most powerful console ever
Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever, powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD's latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures.
The new system on a chip (SOC) has been built from the ground up for speed and performance, with 12 teraflops of processing power and with compatibility in mind for four generations of games.
XboxSeriesXGlossary_HERO.jpg

Delivering unparalleled graphical fidelity
The three air-flow channels evenly distribute the temperatures generated by the advanced internal components, keeping the console cool and quiet.

The innovative parallel cooling architecture allows for stunning game experiences with incredible graphical fidelity and performance.

Split motherboard
For the first time ever on console, an innovative split motherboard keeps the Xbox Series X internals evenly temperature controlled, allowing for the console to output more power.

Heat-sink chassis
A heat sink is a non-electronic, passive mechanical component that has a vital role in the reliability and performance of the Xbox Series X and is integrated directly into the chassis of the console. This unique component of the parallel cooling architecture helps lend to the distinctive design of the console.
a8cd8c70-9145-4352-b6d3-4f0ec85ea256.jpg

Vapour chamber
The vapour chamber in the Xbox Series X enables evenly spread temperatures with the core and memory.
678f5d44-85e2-45b6-9ff7-60de5830fd34.jpg

Whisper-quiet fan
As part of the parallel cooling architecture, the whisper-quiet fan keeps the Xbox Series X internal components cool without disturbing your gameplay.

More storage without compromise
The Xbox Series X Storage Expansion Card provides additional game storage at peak speed and performance by replicating the console's internal custom SSD experience. The 1TB card is inserted directly into the back of the console via the dedicated storage expansion port.
e74b1937-7937-4a7b-ac4a-5a2ed6f382ed.jpg

Meet the new Xbox Wireless Controller
Experience the modernised design of the Xbox Wireless Controller, featuring sculpted surfaces and refined geometry for enhanced comfort during gameplay. Stay on target with textured grip and a hybrid D-pad; capture and share content seamlessly while you play; and quickly pair with, play on, and switch between supported consoles, PCs and mobile devices.
4644cb86-9398-4a0a-bafe-fa5c8aa9a81f.jpg

f5312190-8a62-4f06-8fb6-680a5c27fcbc.jpg
fcacdb81-9dfb-4338-952c-ee21a659a028.jpg
8ad1924e-bfc3-42d9-b243-460562b5c618.jpg

Real Time Hardware Accelerated DirectX Ray Tracing
From improved lighting, shadows and reflections as well as more realistic acoustics and spatial audio, raytracing enables developers to create more physically accurate worlds. For the very first time in a game console, Xbox Series X includes support for high performance, hardware accelerated raytracing. Xbox Series X uses a custom-designed GPU leveraging the latest innovation from our partners at AMD and built in collaboration with the same team who developed DirectX Raytracing. Developers will be able to deliver incredibly immersive visual and audio experiences using the same techniques on PC and beyond.
Read More

Machine Learning
Xbox Series X supports Machine Learning for games with DirectML, a component of DirectX. DirectML leverages unprecedented hardware performance in a console, benefiting from over 24 TFLOPS of 16-bit float performance and over 97 TOPS (trillion operations per second) of 4-bit integer performance on Xbox Series X. Machine Learning can improve a wide range of areas, such as making NPCs much smarter, providing vastly more lifelike animation, and greatly improving visual quality.

Hardware Accelerated Audio
Spatial Audio delivers deeply immersive audio which enables the player to more accurately pinpoint objects in a 3D play space. With full support for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Windows Sonic, Xbox Series X has custom audio hardware to offload audio processing from the CPU, dramatically improving the accessibility, quality and performance of these immersive experiences.
Read More

Project Acoustics
Incubated over a decade by Microsoft Research, Project Acoustics accurately models sound propagation physics in mixed reality and games, employed by many AAA experiences today. It is unique in simulating wave effects like diffraction in complex scene geometries without straining CPU, enabling a much more immersive and lifelike auditory experience. Plug-in support for both the Unity and Unreal game engines empower the sound designer with expressive controls to mold reality. Developers will be able to easily leverage Project Acoustics with Xbox Series X through the addition of a new custom audio hardware block.

Backward Compatibility

tumblr_inline_naw92ozkQn1rbpimx.gif

kensama

For my part, I await news of the Initiative and I want to see their project.

for the moment, I have no other project that I am waiting for. I want to be quickly in mid-July to see what Microsoft will offer to me in term of games.
Cause right now there is not so many game appealing me.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I think BC section is a given, they have been strongly pushing it in the past years/shows, BC is one of their pillar strategy right now, so I don't see a single reason for them to slow down, especially if the rumors suggesting 4K+60FPS+HDR for BC titles are indeed true, MS would surely be proud to announce that.

DrDamn

I have been mainly PS4 current gen, had an OG X1 for a few years early on, then end of last year got an X1X with 3 years of cheap GamePass. My plan was PS5 at launch and XSX a year or so later. I'm now thinking why not both at launch? I think the differences in approach they are taking, from hardware, games and services, are making them quite complimentary.

MS have impressed me with the efforts they have made on building a bigger and more diverse first party stable, and obviously GamePass helps greatly with that too.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
What games is everyone expecting/hoping to see at the July event and which of those do think will be available at launch?

I'm expecting to see:
Halo - of course
Everwild
Fable
Psychonauts
Gears Tactics
Flight Sim 2020
One of the Forzas
More Hellblade - PLEASE
DLC for Outer Worlds
Something from The Initiative

At launch I KNOW we have Halo plus I expect Everwild, Gears Tactics - Xbox edition, one of the Forza games, Outerworlds DLC and maybe Flight Sim.

I think we are going to have a very good launch line up compared to other gens. Do we know if any of the 3rd party exclusives are launch game? If yes even better.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm hoping for a new Fable, Perfect Dark, Conker, and an announcement saying they bought out exclusivity for Goodbye Volcano High.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm hoping for a new Fable, Perfect Dark, Conker, and an announcement saying they bought out exclusivity for Goodbye Volcano High.

That would nicely compliment Xbox exclusive, Don't Nod's upcoming SJW opus, Tell Me Why. Xbox would surely win the gen with that lineup. 🤮

Mr.ODST

Its starting everyone, NEXT GEN!

What would be everyone's surprise announcement? Mine would be Scalebound

cormack12

Gold Member
What games is everyone expecting/hoping to see at the July event and which of those do think will be available at launch?

I'm expecting to see:
Halo - of course
Everwild
Fable
Psychonauts
Gears Tactics
Flight Sim 2020
One of the Forzas
More Hellblade - PLEASE
DLC for Outer Worlds
Something from The Initiative

I think seeing Halo, Everwild, Fable, FM8, Hellblade. Guessing we'll see Grounded as well. Feature wise, I'd like to see the auto HDR stuff in action. Would be good to see Compulsion and Initiative as well.

Titles that would be available day one and make me really sit up and maybe move would be Halo, FM8 and Fable. Anything else would be a bonus.

Anyone think the Mass Effect remaster could be shown here? It was originally an Xbox exclusive, after all. And I found its absence at the EA show very odd.

I’d ask about Elden Ring too but god knows what’s going on with that game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I want more future XBOX titles to allow mods.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
What would be everyone's surprise announcement?
Jeff Strain working on a MMO. I really wish the creator of Guild Wars put all the resources from Microsoft into making a MMO. The other one would be Mistwalker working on a new JRPG for Xbox with JP Games.

Anyone think the Mass Effect remaster could be shown here? It was originally an Xbox exclusive, after all. And I found its absence at the EA show very odd.

I’d ask about Elden Ring too but god knows what’s going on with that game.

Nah. EA is probably pulling a Nintendo with the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Waiting for a proper reveal of the next installment before announcing/releasing a remaster collection

Top Bottom