• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Awesome - congratulations!

Hey, thanks! An Xbox YouTuber I follow tweeted out that EB Games was going to have a second wave of pre-orders so I made asked my wife nicely to ride her bike to work yesterday so that I could drive our truck to the local EB games store. Twenty minutes before opening there were 5 people waiting outside.

So, with the pressure off in obtaining an XSX I am watching the PS5 unveiling to see if it will be worthy of purchase down the road. I know this isn’t the place to talk PS5...but I’m already not liking what I’m hearing about how things like God of War are transitioning to Next-Gen.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Hey, thanks! An Xbox YouTuber I follow tweeted out that EB Games was going to have a second wave of pre-orders so I made asked my wife nicely to ride her bike to work yesterday so that I could drive our truck to the local EB games store. Twenty minutes before opening there were 5 people waiting outside.

So, with the pressure off in obtaining an XSX I am watching the PS5 unveiling to see if it will be worthy of purchase down the road. I know this isn’t the place to talk PS5...but I’m already not liking what I’m hearing about how things like God of War are transitioning to Next-Gen.

Hopefully I'm not derailing too much here , but I don't follow most PS5 topics very closely; what are the issues with next gen God of War? I thought everyone is super exited about it.

Back on topic: I know you were stressing about initially missing out on a Series X preorder, so it's great you were able to get lucky and rectify that situation.

Only 2 more weeks to go and I can NOT wait!!!

DrDamn

It's smaller, so yes engineering - tick. Not design for me though. It already looks a bit grubby, old and cheap because of the core material. I prefer the XSS to the XSX too, if only because some design has gone into the external look.

Second tweet emphasises the size difference as stand not on PS5 in first pic, but look at the finish on the XSX :/

Hopefully I'm not derailing too much here , but I don't follow most PS5 topics very closely; what are the issues with next gen God of War? I thought everyone is super exited about it.

Back on topic: I know you were stressing about initially missing out on a Series X preorder, so it's great you were able to get lucky and rectify that situation.

Only 2 more weeks to go and I can NOT wait!!!

The issue was with the PS4 version of GOW. Looked like it wasn’t going to get a similar upgrade/patch to what Xbox is doing for many of it’s first party classics. My main reason for getting a PS5 was to play the games I missed not ever having had a PlayStation before. And now seeing the gargantuan proportions of Sony’s box....well....I think I‘m back to just focusing on Xbox for the immediate future.

But yeah.... TWO WEEKS! Hope everyone here shares their stories of that initial boot up sequence. I’m going to videotape mine for posterity.

Oh man. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine FH4 looking better than it does with my current LG CX/One X combo...but I suspect it will! Do we actually know the details of the Forza Horizon 4 upgrades?

I’m going to start to put together a list of titles I’m going to be playing until some of Microsofts big exclusives start to arrive. It may be awhile and I’m quite ok with it.

CatLady

I just kind of breezed over the listed games, but when I took a 2nd look, can I tell you how much I love seeing Series X upgrades for Xbox 1st party games and seeing Elder Scrolls Online included. I couldn't care less about ESO, but the fact that it is now 1st party along with ALL the other Bethesda Softworks games makes me incredibly happy.

Concern

I just kind of breezed over the listed games, but when I took a 2nd look, can I tell you how much I love seeing Series X upgrades for Xbox 1st party games and seeing Elder Scrolls Online included. I couldn't care less about ESO, but the fact that it is now 1st party along with ALL the other Bethesda Softworks games makes me incredibly happy.

🤫🤫🤫 don't call eso "first party". May upset people lol.

Its nice to see the upgrades but im bummed there's nothing on launch i care about. Hope the medium delivers.

On that list, I’ve only just recently played Ori (on the last level and it’s kicking my butt), the very early parts of The Outer Worlds, and am pretty much obsessed with FH4 currently - which is notable because I’m not normally a huge racing fan. All of these courtesy of Gamepass.

I’m leaning towards Gears 5 as the first game I play on the XSX. Perhaps the MCC collection after that. I’m seeing people rave about Jedi Fallen Order running at a buttery smooth 60fps. Then there is Valhalla. Cyberpunk too...but will TRY to await the XSX patch in 2021 for that one. And upgraded Witcher 3 with massively reduced load times will probably demand another play through. No lack of choice for me is what I’m trying to say....

Also wanted to mention I’m also playing the first Hellblade right now. One of the most unique gaming experiences I’ve ever had...and I’ve been gaming since the Pong home console. The main character modelling is stunning to behold.

Last edited:

CatLady

On that list, I’ve only just recently played Ori (on the last level and it’s kicking my butt), the very early parts of The Outer Worlds, and am pretty much obsessed with FH4 currently - which is notable because I’m not normally a huge racing fan. All of these courtesy of Gamepass.

I’m leaning towards Gears 5 as the first game I play on the XSX. Perhaps the MCC collection after that. I’m seeing people rave about Jedi Fallen Order running at a buttery smooth 60fps. Then there is Valhalla. Cyberpunk too...but will TRY to await the XSX patch in 2021 for that one. And upgraded Witcher 3 with massively reduced load times will probably demand another play through. No lack of choice for me is what I’m trying to say....

Also wanted to mention I’m also playing the first Hellblade right now. One of the most unique gaming experiences I’ve ever had...and I’ve been gaming since the Pong home console. The main character modelling is stunning to behold.

Hellblade is the shit. I had NO interest in the game initially due to big misconceptions of what the game was and was about, but thanks to Game Pass I discovered one of my favorite games this gen.

Also if you like Bethesda games try FO:NV and Oblivion. It's night and day playing them now with 0-5 second load times.

Njocky

Banned
Well spotted. Not an offical tweet from Xbox though, although Klobrille is as close it gets lol.

Lol good catch; it's kind of a stealth statement on MS's part insofar as how they'll be handling the Zenimax stuff once the deal is finalized (sometime in early 2021). The deal still going through regs is the reason they can't say anything definitive, but the intent is clear.

Tho even I was thinking for a second at least ESO would still be cross-platform with PS, but for business reasons I can see why that would be a bad idea. Basically anyone saying MS needs PS to recoup the costs on the Zenimax purchase aren't considering 3 very important things. By putting those games on PS, they condition PS gamers who are more ardent in not wanting to dip into other ecosystems, so MS loses on that front by:

1: Giving up a 30% cut in profit to Sony

2: Losing potential sales of Series S and Series X consoles

3: Losing potential subscribers to Gamepass.

Last point alone should be reason enough to understand why MS are very likely not going to bring any of the Zenimax games (that aren't Death Loop and Ghostwire Tokyo) to PlayStation. It just makes zero financial sense for the long-term in their business strategy, not unless Sony's willing to bring some of their 1P to Xbox platforms (more likely a meteor crashes in the ocean and unearths Atlantis than that 😆)

DrDamn

Lol good catch; it's kind of a stealth statement on MS's part insofar as how they'll be handling the Zenimax stuff once the deal is finalized (sometime in early 2021).

It's a tweet from Klob, it's not a statement from MS. Also both XSX|S and PS5 versions were at least planned for launch of the new consoles, as the deal won't be complete by then I'd assume there still will be.

I will add something to your list though. Some people think MS need to recoup the full cost of the Zenimax purchase. They just need to be profitable and have an asset that is still worth the money they paid (or more).

I kinda joked in another thread that Sony may have skimped on materials and protective packaging to make the box look smaller on shelves but maybe i was onto something?

I think you'd have to say, with the best will in the world, the packaging is extremely tatty and doesn't look premium at all. It's like you've ordered it off eBay. For $500 you would, rightly, expect better.

What if it’s WB? Can you imagine? Highly doubtful....but....

Would that mean MS would have the rights to the LEGO games? Or would the LEGO licence be a separate thing?

DrDamn

One of these looks like it had plenty of time to be produced. One looks like it was very, very rushed.

Not sure it's time, but one packaging is certainly more expensive looking. One is also less recyclable and more wasteful too. Depends what you are going for. I'd rather they spent money on the box you have under your TV and see everyday looking nicer to be honest, but it does make that first day unpacking feel that little bit more special.

McCheese

Cyberpunk coming out the same day as the Series X was my only real justification for buying an SX at launch, especially here in the EU where the PS5 comes out a couple of weeks later. In light of the Cyberpunk delay, I'm just going to cancel my SX pre-order, get PS5 version instead on the release date, and weigh up getting an SX in 2021 once we know more about the release schedule for things like Fable or Flight sim, which I think are the only exclusives that I know of that interest me enough to plonk down £450.

Anybody else feeling the same?

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Cyberpunk coming out the same day as the Series X was my only real justification for buying an SX at launch, especially here in the EU where the PS5 comes out a couple of weeks later. In light of the Cyberpunk delay, I'm just going to cancel my SX pre-order, get PS5 version instead on the release date, and weigh up getting an SX in 2021 once we know more about the release schedule for things like Fable or Flight sim, which I think are the only exclusives that I know of that interest me enough to plonk down £450.

Anybody else feeling the same?

Cyberpunk was never coming out the same day as the Series X?

Not enough to change my plans but I missed last generation on Xbox so got loads to play. 😁

Not enough to change my plans but I missed last generation on Xbox so got loads to play. 😁

I was mostly all Xbox 360 (once I stuck the Dreamcast and GameCube in the closet - where they still reside) and then all Xbox One/X from then on. And I’m still facing a mountain of stuff to play. I have quite a few hobbies outside of gaming so I’m still probably dreaming I’ll even remotely catch up on my backlog. Granted, some of these will be replays - but with vastly reduced load times and increased frame rates/resolution I know I’m going to enjoy the heck out of the “dry spell” waiting for new games.

I mean, if MS wasn’t so incredible with the BC approach....you could perhaps convince me this is a disastrous launch. I can get why those who couldn’t give a whit about BC still think such.

When Cyberpunk is ready, and polished up for XSX, I’ll be there.

Greeno

I'd really like if the situation around Halo's coatings is a bit more clarified. I want to know how can a player earn the coatings, is it through leveling? I just hope it isn't a matter of randomized loot. If it is tied to levels, then I find that tolerable.

Andodalf

Banned
I'd really like if the situation around Halo's coatings is a bit more clarified. I want to know how can a player earn the coatings, is it through leveling? I just hope it isn't a matter of randomized loot. If it is tied to levels, then I find that tolerable.

We have no idea yet

Wow, what the hell...

He's not on the ban list, what actually happened?

Did he do something illegal? GAF getting in trouble is all I can think would cause that

Last edited:
Top Bottom