• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

luffeN

If you had problems playing hdr10 blurays or content in your tv, that option was for you..if it always worked, dont bother to enable it.

Planet Earth II would not start for the life of me. I changed the settings around and I don't know why but it just worked now. I had the guide menu open while putting in the disc... The Blu-ray app launched, was stuck while loading for about half a second and then the intro came. I hope this works again when I really wanna watch it.

Danny 117

Just thought I'd ask this here as it's the closest thing to an Xbox One OT.

If you're in the preview program, and the update somehow bricks your console, do MS cover the repair? I read something about them providing extended warranty for this issue but can't find the source.

luffeN

Soooo, Planet Earth II now starts every time. I have to bring up the guide and insert the BD. The BD can't stay in the Xbox. The BD player software launches in the background and after being stuck for a bit I get to the BD menu etc. and can watch the movie.

jeffram

Any in-depth reviews and comparisons on the s compared to stand-alone UHD blu-ray players?

I wanted to buy an s, but saw a video online of a side by side against the Panasonic player and the ow on the s looked really bad in comparison. I ended up getting a stand alone player but am still thinking about the s, and how I made a decision based off of one video. Still time to return the player. Someone convince me that I'm not giving up too much by getting the s instead, I can't find many head to heads.

EmiPrime

JzSgphIl.jpg

RIP (sparkly green dots all over the dashboard). Tried a few different cables and different inputs on my receiver to no avail, seems like impending GPU failure as I can safely rule out HDMI bandwidth issues. It's going off for repairs.

Effect

So I actually ended up buying an Xbox One S after E3. I wanted to see what the Scorpio was going to be and like the PS4 Pro I don't really see myself paying the price for either. Not when I have a gaming PC. The system was on sale. Was the Forza Horizon 3 bundle with a media controller for $260 at Best Buy. I figured why not at the price. At the time anyway.

I'm curious if anyone else has found or did find themselves in the position I'm about to describe?

Sorry if this is long winded.

My issue is commitment with this purchase though. I got it Friday and it's still in the box unopened. This is been bothering me the most. I've been trying to find reasons to keep the purchase or something or someone to convince me to keep it.

One of the major reasons I wanted it was backwards compatibility. My Xbox 360 no longer works. Hasn't for over a year, maybe 2. All but one of my 360 games (Tales of Vesperia) is now on the list of the games. The addition of original Xbox games was another plus in favor of a purchase since I don't have the space to reconnect that thing. So half the purchase is mainly so I can pay my old games that I can no longer play.

I guess what's stopping me is everything else Xbox One related on the game front. I have a gaming PC. If I wanted Horizons 3 I could buy it there and not pay for online. So many other games as well that would be on the PS4/XBO last year are now getting PC versions for their sequels, same with newer games. Things like Anthem, Destiny 2, Forza 7 of all things in addition to stuff I would have gotten on PC anyway like Wolfenstein. The PS4 is no better on this front I feel since I've never been that attached to Sony's exclusives. No that's wrong. I'm not attached to any of Sony's current exclusives. The games I loved and enjoyed on the PlayStation brand are games from the PS1 and PS2 era that haven't exist since then. It's reason why my PS3 (gotten after a lot of price drops) was ultimately a blu-ray player with me owning maybe 5 games max. So really nothing is really pushing me to PS4 as an alternative. I mainly game on Nintendo hardware as far as consoles go so I'm good there. I can see very likely finally picking up Halo 5, the next Halo as well, indie games that end up being exclusives, and a few others depending if the PC version turns out bad or not but not sure if that's enough.

So has anyone found themselves in this place?
Does one just try to track down a refurbished or maybe new if lucky Xbox 360 and call it a day?
Or future proof that with that with the higher priced Xbox One and maybe run the risk getting only a few games on it?
Is there anyone in that position where they use it for BC and a few games but game more on other platforms?
Do you regret that or learned to be okay with it because you wanted that BC access?

Thanks.

I finally broke down today and used my warranty on my launch S. The noise from the fan has gradually gotten louder. When I first got it I could faintly hear the abnormal fan noise while using the one S from about 7 feet away. I was told by my buddy that it's not normal. Shipping it to Microsoft this week for a fix.

Lettuce

Does the XB1S Pad (with bluetoothj) enable you to connect a headset like the Turtle Beach 510 directly to the pad so you dont need to use a 3.5mm cable??

I didn't think this question warranted its own thread, but it's something I've been wondering for a while.

What prevents the original Xbone from supporting HDR? Is it a hardware limitation or just something MS isn't interested in doing in an effort to sell the One S (and X now obviously). Seeing that Sony updated the non-Pro PS4 to support HDR makes me curious.

I finally broke down today and used my warranty on my launch S. The noise from the fan has gradually gotten louder. When I first got it I could faintly hear the abnormal fan noise while using the one S from about 7 feet away. I was told by my buddy that it's not normal. Shipping it to Microsoft this week for a fix.

UPDATE:

It took about a week and a half but I got the console back and it is super quiet now! If someone is having issues I would definitely recommend using the warranty while it's valid.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I didn't think this question warranted its own thread, but it's something I've been wondering for a while.

What prevents the original Xbone from supporting HDR? Is it a hardware limitation or just something MS isn't interested in doing in an effort to sell the One S (and X now obviously). Seeing that Sony updated the non-Pro PS4 to support HDR makes me curious.

I think the XBOX One has HDMI 1.4
full_size_hdmi_evolution.jpg

I think you need HDMI 2.0 minimum for HDR. Someone, please correct if wrong.

I don't know when this was added, but Gears of War 4 now has a splitscreen HDR Visualization where it shows half the screen with HDR on and the other half with HDR off.

It is located in the options menu under Video and HDR brightness.

Enordash

Anyone having UHD bluray a stutter? Mine seem to stutter about every 15 minutes or so.

I had some stutter during Mad Max, but everything seemed perfectly fine during Logan. I'm going to assume that it has nothing to do with the movie though. I'm a little afraid that the system is getting a bit too hot in my TV cabinet. I had launch One and that thing never had a problem, but of course it was larger and the PSU was not internal.

My main problem is that Hulu is causing video freezes. The audio continues to play, but the screen gets stuck with this wild glitchy screen. It has only happened while watching Hulu up until this point. I've played through a few games with no problems. No problems with any other video app like Netflix/Youtube/HBO. Has anyone else experienced this? TV is a Vizio P.

Caayn

I'm still sad that we didn't get per game HDR toggles like we have on PS4 :(
I don't know when this was added, but Gears of War 4 now has a splitscreen HDR Visualization where it shows half the screen with HDR on and the other half with HDR off.

It is located in the options menu under Video and HDR brightness.
Nice feature, just tried it out.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Has anyone experienced a problem with the XONE controller getting bricked after the update? Mine just stopped working. I tried unplugging the console and then leaving it there with the controller connected via a usb cable but nothing. Looks like I'll have to send it back and it's not the first problem I had with this console.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Two quick questions -

1. Is there a way to prevent the console from resetting the time and date after I turn off the console? It literally does this every single time I turn off the console.

2. Is there a way to turn off the "dimming" of the screen when it's inactive?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Two quick questions -

1. Is there a way to prevent the console from resetting the time and date after I turn off the console? It literally does this every single time I turn off the console.

2. Is there a way to turn off the "dimming" of the screen when it's inactive?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. Happened to me tried everything even contacting a Microsoft engineer through Reddit. The console is faulty take it back or use your warranty.

Caayn

Is there any indication that Microsoft is going to allow other devices to stream XB1 games such as mobile devices? Or will they keep that functionality locked to Windows 10 PCs?

Not even my Lumia 950 which runs W10 mobile can stream XB1 games.

c0de

Is there any indication that Microsoft is going to allow other devices to stream XB1 games such as mobile devices? Or will they keep that functionality locked to Windows 10 PCs?

I always wondered why they didn't implement it in all their mobile devices. I mean, the hardware should easily be capable of doing it.

Caayn

I always wondered why they didn't implement it in all their mobile devices. I mean, the hardware should easily be capable of doing it.
Now that I think of it. Don't the W10 PC and W10 mobile versions share the same executable? Wonder why they never enabled it on W10 mobile (as the code is seemingly already there) and developed the feature for the Android and iOS versions of the Xbox app.

And as you say, the hardware should capable.

c0de

Now that I think of it. Don't the W10 PC and W10 mobile versions share the same executable? Wonder why they never enabled it on W10 mobile (as the code is seemingly already there) and developed the feature for the Android and iOS versions of the Xbox app.

And as you say, the hardware should capable.

Especially considering what they already did last gen with the second screen thing, for example with Forza horizon.
Do you know how much bandwidth they use when you stream to PC?

I think it's a simple as they just aren't developing W10 mobile at this point. If they release another mobile device and/or push in mobile again it's going to be via their project that is making the desktop version of windows have a shell that supports mobile.

SugarDave

Sorry to bump this thread but I'm having trouble downloading all my games. Any attempt to download is met with a "installation stopped" message and in the rare event it does start, the speeds are abysmally slow, to the point that it's not worth waiting for. I've tried a hard restart and even resetting the console to its factory state but nothing sticks.

The console is near enough unusable in this state. Does anyone have any possible solutions?

How much do you guys think I could get from selling a Xbox One S 500gb in really good condition?

I believe Gamestop has a promotion where you'll get $150 for that model if you put it towards the Xbox One X. I'd say that's the max you'd be able to sell it for privately unless you throw in some games.

I believe Gamestop has a promotion where you'll get $150 for that model if you put it towards the Xbox One X. I'd say that's the max you'd be able to sell it for privately unless you throw in some games.
The wording on the website is odd, if I can do that and then just cancel the Xbox One X I would totally do it to make it ten times easier then selling.

I’m not interested in a OneX, the only thing on Xbox that I can’t get on my PC Microsoft wise is Halo and while I have fond memories of playing Halo I don’t think I’ll ever actually replay them again since me and a friend played through all of MCC together when it came out.

So I just purchased a Xbox one s cyber Monday from the Microsoft store and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the kind of issues I've had with mine.

So right off the bat I noticed the controller was faulty, the rb button doesn't work at all, I tried the "blow it" method which didn't work. So I contacted the Microsoft store and they are sending me a new controller which is fine, but now I've tried playing halo and after just 15 minutes the console is turning off and over heating. It's not in a cupboard or anything like that, it's just sat on my desk with nothing around it.

I'm not sure if it's poor testing and build quality or if UPS managed to drop my parcel before I received it (although there's no damage to the box).

I've not had the best experiences with my PS4, mostly just a loud fan and connectivity issues, but at least it's always worked.

At this point im kind of wishing I didn't bother getting a Xbox at all.

gamz

So I just purchased a Xbox one s cyber Monday from the Microsoft store and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the kind of issues I've had with mine.

So right off the bat I noticed the controller was faulty, the rb button doesn't work at all, I tried the "blow it" method which didn't work. So I contacted the Microsoft store and they are sending me a new controller which is fine, but now I've tried playing halo and after just 15 minutes the console is turning off and over heating. It's not in a cupboard or anything like that, it's just sat on my desk with nothing around it.

I'm not sure if it's poor testing and build quality or if UPS managed to drop my parcel before I received it (although there's no damage to the box).

I've not had the best experiences with my PS4, mostly just a loud fan and connectivity issues, but at least it's always worked.

At this point im kind of wishing I didn't bother getting a Xbox at all.

Return it. Haven't seen many compliments about the S. That is faulty as hell.

The wording on the website is odd, if I can do that and then just cancel the Xbox One X I would totally do it to make it ten times easier then selling.

I’m not interested in a OneX, the only thing on Xbox that I can’t get on my PC Microsoft wise is Halo and while I have fond memories of playing Halo I don’t think I’ll ever actually replay them again since me and a friend played through all of MCC together when it came out.
Little late but you shouldn't have problems selling it this close to Christmas.Having the box is a huge plus. I sold my PS4 Slim 500GB without controller for $200 last month no problem, took like 30 minutes on Kijiji.

Top Bottom