• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Apt101

Damn, I found out my Elite controller isn't the bluetooth compatible kind. However, the X1S controller is! So, now the Elite is moving to the living room. I am not complaining.

Now to try out some more games. All I have played is a little of Sleeping Dogs - which seems great - but I just got done with a few games that are similar and need something new.

Just upgraded from an Xbox One to an S. EB Games has a $99 deal to do that. Really liking it so far!

Some thoughts and comments:

- I would say it's the most beautiful console I've ever owned. The sharp lines and perforations make it look clean.
- The controller feels more tactile and feels better in the hand than the original controller.
- The upgrade to a 4K console was very noticeable on my 4K TV. It's hard to even go back to my PS4 after this.
- Download speeds were all over the place. I have 150/150 Mbps and sometimes it was as low as 6.5 all the way up to 150. I've read this may be an issue with the S.
- Felt very snappy and fast on most things (although I still think the UI is pretty bad)

All things considered I'm really happy with this console!!

Damn, that's a great deal.

I agree with the rest, especially the controller, UI, and 4K notes, though I am double spoiled now: I also have a PS4 Pro. Which has mostly relegated my One S to the role of UHD player, but I plan on diving into exclusives.

I have over 320GB of space left on my USB harddrive yet a 4GB update i need for Titanfall 2 is telling me there's not enough space and i need to clear so space. WTF!!!??

Is Titanfall 2 on the internal or external? If it's on the internal transfer it and download the update.

Pudd

Neo Member
Time for a bump for this lovely piece of hardware. I was on a three month journey and I'm finally back home in two weeks. I want to give myself a sweet return so I'm in need of an One S 500 GB in white. Living in Germany and the best bundle I currently know is Amazon.de with Fifa 17 for 250 Euros. Quite okay I think but...is there any deal e.g. in the UK which would be even cheaper although importing? I'm not so into Fifa...more interested in Gears or Forza. Maybe somebody has just seen the same problem and may give me guidance. :) Thank you for your help XBoxGAF.

Bl@de

I have the XB1S connected via HDMI (plugged into TV) and the TV is connected via Optical (old AV-Receiver without HDMI). The PS4 has no sync problems. With the XB1S DVDs are out of sync (Bitstream 5.1). Games are pefectly fine. Must be the Blu-Ray app. Is there another app or a way to fix it?

I have the XB1S connected via HDMI (plugged into TV) and the TV is connected via Optical (old AV-Receiver without HDMI). The PS4 has no sync problems. With the XB1S DVDs are out of sync (Bitstream 5.1). Games are pefectly fine. Must be the Blu-Ray app. Is there another app or a way to fix it?

As an experiment only, I would switch the Optical Out on the X1 to stereo uncompressed (and the other options too, I don't remember what all is available), and see if that affects the sync problem. I use the HDMI audio-out so I can't test it myself. I haven't noticed any sync issues with HDMI fwiw.

Yeah, DVDs are pretty much unwatchable on the Xbone for me. The audio gets off sync from time to time. Resetting the app helps for a while. And it's always been like that. So I stopped using it. Last time I checked there was no substitute for the app.

Bl@de

Yeah, DVDs are pretty much unwatchable on the Xbone for me. The audio gets off sync from time to time. Resetting the app helps for a while. And it's always been like that. So I stopped using it. Last time I checked there was no substitute for the app.

Great. So no DVDs. Hope Blurays are not the same. Or else the Xbox One S is useless as player.

As an experiment only, I would switch the Optical Out on the X1 to stereo uncompressed (and the other options too, I don't remember what all is available), and see if that affects the sync problem. I use the HDMI audio-out so I can't test it myself. I haven't noticed any sync issues with HDMI fwiw.

Not an option because I want 5.1. With uncompressed I have no Dolby.

Not an option because I want 5.1. With uncompressed I have no Dolby.

Yes, I know. That's why I said "as an experiment". I'd just be curious to see if the problem went away with PCM and it would be more information to give them if you decided to report the problem.

shanafan

When shopping for a new monitor today, I learned that the PS4 Pro required a monitor capable of HDMI 2.0 for 4K/60 hz.

What is the situation with the Xbox One S? If I wish to hook it up for 4K blu-ray playback, is HDMI 1.4 sufficient, or is HDMI 2.0 required as well?

Thanks

etta

my hard graphic balls
When shopping for a new monitor today, I learned that the PS4 Pro required a monitor capable of HDMI 2.0 for 4K/60 hz.

What is the situation with the Xbox One S? If I wish to hook it up for 4K blu-ray playback, is HDMI 1.4 sufficient, or is HDMI 2.0 required as well?

Thanks
It would be the same, it's a standard required for that bandwidth.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Thanks!

Are 4K TV's more commonly known to have HDMI 2.0 over 4K monitors? I was surprised to see the limited selection of affordable monitors with HDMI 2.0.

I think so, high end monitors in the past few years have relied more on DisplayPort for high throughput instead of the newest HDMI.

j-wood

So last night I got my John Wick Ultra HD copy in and watched it on my one s.

Multiple times throughout the movie, the screen would go back for a second, and then come back and I would get the banner on my TV that an HDR video is playing. One time, it went to a white fuzzy screen for a second.

My TV is the Samsung KS8000, and I'm using the cables that came with the xbox. Going through a 4k/hdr receiver. Is this an xbox bug or something?

So last night I got my John Wick Ultra HD copy in and watched it on my one s.

Multiple times throughout the movie, the screen would go back for a second, and then come back and I would get the banner on my TV that an HDR video is playing. One time, it went to a white fuzzy screen for a second.

My TV is the Samsung KS8000, and I'm using the cables that came with the xbox. Going through a 4k/hdr receiver. Is this an xbox bug or something?

have you tried other blu-ray uhd movies to see if it happens with other movies? ive heard cases where the disk was an issue rather than the hardware. (even with uhd standalone players)

j-wood

have you tried other blu-ray uhd movies to see if it happens with other movies? ive heard cases where the disk was an issue rather than the hardware. (even with uhd standalone players)

Yeah I watched the Ultra HD disc of secret life of pets with no issue.

Is it a firmware problem? Do I need to send the disc back?

Moreche

Just preordered the 1TB forza 3 and halo wars 2 bundle from the MS store. Not t released until March 3rd but I'm looking forward to it sitting alongside my PS4 Pro.
The HW design, 360 BC and upcoming games like cuphead won me over.

jelly

Damn, what a deal. EDIT, thought it was FH3. Still, pretty good.

There seems to be a rise in deals lately, like they are about to reveal something new....maybe just a black One S and a Scorpio tease.

DirtyLarry

Does anyone know how to get the BluRay app to display non UHD BluRays in 4k Still?
Whenever I play a normal BluRay, the app outputs to 1080p. Which I get is the technically correct resolution, but I want it to upscale the 1080p to 2160p.

When I play a normal BluRay on my PS4 Pro, it does stayed upscaled to 2160p.
So is it just a matter of the One S will not do it? Or am I missing a setting somewhere?

I prefer to have it be my One S just because my wife knows it as our all in one entertainment center, as we tend to stick to it for all media watching.

Thanks for any help.
DL

SteveWD40

Just got a question on the streaming to W10.

I assume I can play on the Surface with the controller still attached to the Xbox as long as I am close to it? I don't want to have to connect it to the PC as the bluetooth on the controllers is iffy with W10.

Ideally, after initial setup I just want to be able to use the controller to power the console and connect via the surface app and play away, is that possible?

Caayn

I assume I can play on the Surface with the controller still attached to the Xbox as long as I am close to it? I don't want to have to connect it to the PC as the bluetooth on the controllers is iffy with W10.

Ideally, after initial setup I just want to be able to use the controller to power the console and connect via the surface app and play away, is that possible?
You need a controller connected to either the Xbox or the device your streaming too. So yes, what you're describing will work.

You can also combine controllers on the two devices, I've used 360 controllers that way for some local play a long time ago.

Ohmbrew

Yes, this is possible. I've done it a few times with my console in the basement and my laptop on the main floor, using my controller connected to the Xbox. The Xbox app will ask if you still want to stream without a controller connected to the computer. Just say yes and you're all set.

kingwingin

Just picked up a blue xbox one s and the fan rattles a lot.

Is this super common? i want to exchange it but dont want to have to go back more than once

Balboa

Is this super common? i want to exchange it but dont want to have to go back more than once

Exchange that shit while you can, mine has the rattle and it has just gotten more irritating over time.

EmiPrime

Very common. I went through two of them with the fan rattle/grind and then gave up and got my money back before my 6 months were up. I thought I could maybe live with it but I couldn't.

I've put the £240 aside for Scorpio instead.

kingwingin

System went down $30 after i bought it too.

Went and exchanged/get the price difference last night it and this one rattles too. Sucks this is an issue but whatever, once warrenty is up ill wire up a pc fan inside.

shanafan

Back when I had an original Xbox, the fan inside suddenly became loud.

Breaking any warranty, I opened the Xbox and inside guts were nicely laid out. I was able to take the fan out, and I noticed the manufacturer's contact information was on it. I located them online, and sent them an email saying I owned this fan and I believe it was defective.

They apologized, and sent me a new fan. I installed the new one, and worked out beautifully. All they wanted was the old fan back once I got the new one.

I ordered the white 1tb Gears 4 One S for $288 from Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow, pretty excited to play exclusives and older backward compatible titles. Already have a PS4 Pro and a Switch.

Games I ordered were RDR, MCC, FH2, Ori, Sunset Overdrive, portal 2, orange box, fallout 3 and new vegas, oblivion, rare replay, far cry compilation (for blood dragon since the other 2 not bc yet). Also forgot Halo Reach and Quantum Break. Had ordered Recore but heard a more complete version may be forthcoming

DirtyLarry

Just curious, does anyone else have an issue where their One goes from Open NAT to Strict? All I need to do is restart my console and it is fixed, but I am perplexed why it happens to begin with.
I have assigned a Static IP.
I have forwarded the correct ports according to multiple guides.
So it is a bit weird it starts off as Open, but then goes to Strict eventually.
I can almost always tell when it is Strict as Netflix acts up.

Yawnny

So I finally picked up an Xbox One S to hook up to my new 4K OLED. Got the Battlefield 1 bundle for nice and cheap.

Honestly though, seeing upscaled battlefield 1 I thought it looked sort of like crap compared to the 4K PC Gaming I've been doing the week prior. I have a 980ti that was pushing native 4K very nicely and I knew not to expect a complete miracle from the upscaling but I'm surprised how soft and jaggy the upscale is.

My question: Do HDR games at least give that "wow" factor?

On the plus side I have a UHD Blu Ray player now :)

My xbone s won't start up. When I turn the power on it's just showing a black screen. I tried resetting, and I also tried holding sync and eject and turning it on to factory reset, but no dice. Still just a black screen.

I think something happened maybe during an update last night and now it's bricked.

Anyone have experience on what you need to do? In assuming just contact MS? I bought it in August so I assume it's still under warranty.

shanafan

Something I learned from DF's Scorpio video.. the Xbox One S dashboard is not 4K. Hmm, I thought it was, but now I know ;)

sugarman

So I finally picked up an Xbox One S to hook up to my new 4K OLED. Got the Battlefield 1 bundle for nice and cheap.

Honestly though, seeing upscaled battlefield 1 I thought it looked sort of like crap compared to the 4K PC Gaming I've been doing the week prior. I have a 980ti that was pushing native 4K very nicely and I knew not to expect a complete miracle from the upscaling but I'm surprised how soft and jaggy the upscale is.

My question: Do HDR games at least give that "wow" factor?

On the plus side I have a UHD Blu Ray player now :)
FH3

Top Bottom