• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Official Q&A (Used Games, Internet Connection Requirements, More)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A bunch of PR bullshit that clarifies nothing. I'll take Phil Harrison's statements for now.

-PXG-

Ps5QVbU.gif

Kazerei

Banned
I saw the thread was created by Nirolak, and came in thinking the OP would be informative and clear things up.

El oh el.

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet.

This is some Orwellian bullshit. Double-speak at its finest.

Ranger X

Man, I've been working the whole day and was eager to reach home and see Neogaf's state after the reveal.
To my surprise, I never thought I'd see such level of luls!! What the fuck happened? I fear to look at the conference now lol

Javaman

Whoohoo now we can overpay for zune videos and watch them anywhere!. So much for porting our large rockband collections.

-PXG-

Not one single person could have predicted such a colossal litany of fuck ups. It was simply impossible. Sure, we all joked about certain things. But for basically all of our nightmares to come true. For all the rumors, leaks and speculation to be real is astonishing. It's absolutely unbelievable.

I honestly don't know what to say. It's truly incredible. I'm....shocked. It's just utterly mind blowing just how fundamentally and thoroughly fucking stupid Microsoft is. This is far beyond what Sony messed up in 2006. This is a completely new level of idiocy and delusion that was once seemingly nonexistent to us. But MS has pushed the envelope. Oh boy they did.

They have opened the motherfucking flood gates. E3 is going to be a blood bath.

Jawmuncher

You know even if they have a "trade in" system in place.
I doubt it would be anything amazing. Here's 20 dollars for the game you bought today and didn't like. You can now use that credit on all of these fully priced games that have been sitting on the store front for ages that don't receive any mark downs like real used games at retail do.

MarkusRJR

Wow... that sure answered none of my questions. I love how it omits the daily DRM over internet during the "always online" question. Gross PR.

dominuece

What a weird and discombobulated unveiling. I thought that with all the rumored stalling MS was taking time to come correct with their console.

Dafuq was I thinking?

Myshkin

When I say "EX BOX ON" does the X1 also turn on my TV for me?

That's the critical question. Without that it's useless to me.

Epcott

Edit:

I don't know what to believe at this point. For every sour bit of news to come from this, there's a rebuttal from MS that states otherwise.

I'll just wait for E3 to find out anything concrete.

How could this even happen?! Sony in 2006 was just crazy to think people would pay that much for a console. This? THIS IS INSANE

I only saw two positives about the whole console reveal:

1. The D-Pad looks like Nintendos!
2. HDMI in.

The rest was very disappointing. What is the point of transfering achivements from the 360 if none of those games are playable on the Xbox One?! Idiots!

I have a huge problem with requiring Kinect and the fact that the console will always be on and connected. I don't want it to constantly be downloading data and ready to turn on, I can press the power button when I need to start interacting with the thing! Who do they think we are?

tumblr_m1xao7_YDFC1qdrpdr.jpg

Road

Q: But, really, why does Xbox One require an internet connection?

A: Because after you sell your used game to Gamestop and they deactivate it in our system, you don't the permission to play your installed copy offline anymore.

This whole thing seems like a parody, like... its every possible worst case scenario rolled into one neat package. I just cant believe it.

Have they confirmed what happens if you don't connect in any given day?

I hope it's something like.. if you wanna play without the disc, you need to connect once in the last 24 hours. If not, you have to use the disc to access the game on the HDD.

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet.

online.gif

First gif I have ever made sorry for its terribleness.

DeadTrees

Have they confirmed what happens if you don't connect in any given day?
Yes. If an Xbox One fails to connect after twenty-four hours, the owner of the console will die. Ownership of the console is then immediately transferred to the decedent's next of kin, and the process begins again.

Top Bottom