• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One demos start going up on store ahead of summer games fest (21/07 - 27/07)

Kuranghi

So is it only on Xbox yah? No PC? I guess they don't want to leave them out there if they are like show floor demos. Datamining and all that jazz.

Simpkin92

Cool I’m definitely going to check out Destroy All Humans. Crazy that there’s going to be that many demos

Kagey K

Banned
I’ve only downloaded DAH and 9 monkeys of the Shaolin so far. Won’t get a chance to play either until later.

cormack12

Gold Member
Amazing what Microsft is doing for the gamer. Makes sony look like a kid with a sucker lol morons.

I'm gonna say you won't be here next week with this shit, and this

dorkimoe

He should probably tone it down..grow up a little mister

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I think that's a very reasonable prediction

Pantz

Gold Member
Going through the demos.
[based on general feelings of the demos plus my genre preferences]

My Top Picks:
CrisTales
The Vale: Shadow of the Crown
Freshly Frosted
Scourge Bringer
Kaze and the Wild Masks
Destroy All Humans!

9 Monkeys of Shaolin
Antipole DX
Ars Fabulae
Book of Adventum
Cake Bash
Clea
Cris Tales
Chains of Satinav
Dandy Ace
Darkestville Castle Demon Version
Deleveled
Destroy All Humans!
Flowing Lights
Freshly Frosted
Haven
Helheim Hassle
Kaze and the Wild Masks
Klang 2
Knight Squad 2
KungFu Kickball
Long Ago
Mars Power Industries
Mayhem Brawler
Memoria
Nine Witches
PHOGS!
Raji: An Ancient Epic
Road to Guangdong
Sail Forth
ScourgeBringer
SkateBIRD
Skycadia
Solaroids
Space Otter Charlie
Swim Out
Tesla Force
The Last Cube
WarriOrb
YesterMorrow

Aniquilation
Back to Belt
Bite the Bullet
Dungeon Scavenger
Dungeon & Gravestone
Ephemeral Tale
Galacide
Gauntlet Force
Hellpoint
Lost Wing
Momentus
OkunoKa Madness
Pixel Skater
Ponpu
Projection: First Light
Rover Wars: Battle for Mars
Seasons of the Samurai
Swimsanity!
The Ambassador
Tribble Troubles

Welcome to Elk - (SJW's wet dream game)
Genesis Noir - (Jazz theme with mobile game gameplay)
Kova: AlphaLink - (Put my consoles fans on maximum when starting up demo and crashed my console).

A Duel Hand Disaster: Trackher
Alchemist Adventure
Armed and Gelatinous
Chicken Madness
Curved Space
Doodle God: Crime City
Fractal Space
Unspottable

Last edited:

Roberts

Had an hour or so of free time to check out few demos.

Raji - By far the most polished game. Beautiful visuals, based on Indian mythology. Plays like an side-scroller action adventure. Very good.
Hellpoint - Souls rip-off. Plays fine but is a bit rough around the edges. Demo is not Xbox One X enhanced and it shows: Jaggies!
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav - Didn't really play it, because art-style is so not my thing.
Book of Adventum - FPS with puzzle and Rpg elements. Graphics way too dated for me to spend time on it, but if they improve that, could be interesting.
9 Monkeys of Shaolin - Awersome kung-fu brawler. Fighting is super fun. Looks good too even though it's not X enhanced.
Nine Witches - Similar to Lucasarts and Sierra point and click adventures. WW2 and Occult theme, but told in a humorous way. Wish it had voice acting.

That's it for now. Will download a few more demos and write about them here.

Roberts

So, I played a few more demos. Just my first impressions as I didn't spend all that much time on each game.

CrisTales - one of those western games heavily inspired by JRPGs. Looks like a game that has a lot of effort put into it - plays just fine if you are into that sort of thing.

Destroy All Humans - plays pretty much like the original, just with better graphics and it seems like controls have been updated to feel more like a 2020 game. A blast if you feel like turning bunch of cows and humans into ash.

Road to Guangdong - A weirdly soothing game that I spend way too much time on. Your character inherits a restaurant and needs to travel all over southern China to get approval from other relatives. Basically just drive around, making sure your really old and crummy car is in good enough condition to reach your next destination. Not going to play it again, but I can really see this finding a niche audience.

Projection: First Light Demo - Obviously inspired by Playdead games (Limbo, Inside), but nowhere near as captivating. Still, worth a try if you are into puzzle platformers.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaGwaphics

I downloaded Raji, but it won't start (stuck on title screen - press any button), I'm trying the download again now. :messenger_anguished:

Anyone else had that issue?

Edit: Tried it again and it still doesn't work. I guess I'll try again in the morning.

Last edited:

Vyse1800

I downloaded Raji, but it won't start (stuck on title screen - press any button), I'm trying the download again now. :messenger_anguished:

Anyone else had that issue?

Edit: Tried it again and it still doesn't work. I guess I'll try again in the morning.

The game stayed on the title screen for a good ten minutes the first time I fired it up. Since I was busy reading it didn't even register with me until the music started playing and I realized it was just then ready to start. After that it was fine.

DaGwaphics

The game stayed on the title screen for a good ten minutes the first time I fired it up. Since I was busy reading it didn't even register with me until the music started playing and I realized it was just then ready to start. After that it was fine.

I guess I just didn't give it enough time. It worked normally after a clean reboot.

Played about 30 min each of half a dozen demos.
raji looks really good but I got frustrated with one of the multi button combo attacks that the game forces you to complete before moving on. I need to give it another go.

Kaze and the bunny mask is a cute platformer for maybe young players.

Cris tales was really good up till the time mechanic when the game became a series of loading screens. I don’t think I could stand the flash to bright white blinding my eyes during each screen transition. If they fix that I would love to play more.

Roberts

Spent a little bit more time with other demos.

Tesla Force - Just like the previous game, a very fun twin stick shooter. Some gameplay mechanics have changed, but otherwise more or less the same stuff. Good times.
Haven - A french interpretation of a jrpg. A couple is stranded on a weird planet. There is a lot of silly relationship stuff, but you can switch between both characters. Turn based fights and loads of gliding around the surface of the planet. Production-wise, looks like one of the most accomplished projects in this demo showcase.
Galacide - Galaga meets Candy Crush. I'm kidding a bit with that comparison, but you will know what I mean when you play it. Looks fine, but not really interesting.
The Vale - A game blind people can play. Puts you in the role of a blind person and you have to do stuff based on sound. Probably only playable on earphones.

I think I'm done with the demos. It was fun to try some of them out, but doubt I will play the full versions of them. Maybe Hellpoint, Nine Witches, Raji, Tesla Force and 9 Monkeys of Shaolin when they hit GP.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Going through the demos.
[based on general feelings of the demos plus my genre preferences]

Ars Fabulae
Cris Tales
Chains of Satinav
Deleveled
Destroy All Humans!
Flowing Lights
Freshly Frosted
Haven
Helheim Hassle
Kaze and the Wild Masks
Klang 2
Knight Squad 2
KungFu Kickball
Long Ago
Mars Power Industries
Mayhem Brawler
Memoria
Nine Witches
PHOGS!
Raji: An Ancient Epic
Road to Guangdong
Sail Forth
ScourgeBringer
SkateBIRD
Skycadia
Solaroids
Space Otter Charlie
Swim Out
Tesla Force
The Last Cube
WarriOrb
YesterMorrow

Aniquilation
Dungeon Scavenger
Dungeon & Gravestone
Ephemeral Tale
Galacide
Gauntlet Force
Hellpoint
Lost Wing
Momentus
OkunoKa Madness
Pixel Skater
Ponpu
Projection: First Light
Rover Wars: Battle for Mars
Seasons of the Samurai
Swimsanity!
Tribble Troubles

Welcome to Elk
Genesis Noir

Alchemist Adventure
Chicken Madness
Doodle God: Crime City
Fractal Space
Unspottable
That's some serious work, thumbs up!

Pantz

Gold Member
That's some serious work, thumbs up!

Thanks, finally finished all of them and I do regret it a bit haha. There was only a handful I would consider buying.

When they said closer to 100 demos I thought any day now they were going to drop a Halo Infinite demo, a Valhalla demo and other bigger games. Not so much :(

Top Bottom