• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox & NBA make large 10ft statues of NBA Xbox Series S consoles at Xbox Plaza, Venice Beach, and The Grove CA. Xbox on jumbotron at live NBA Game.

In what might be the strangest and most all-in marketing partnership in the history of Xbox, Xbox was featured at the jumbotron at a live NBA game, where they also marketed Xbox gear, and apparently invited fans to the game itself,

Then they oddly created and displayed 10ft Xbox Series S statues across California and L.A. based on the "Starting 5" custom NBA consoles,

FrsP3LpagAEqo2F
FrsP3LqakAAZ5Er

FrsP3LnaYAAxetl
FrsP3LpakAASQ4G

FsBIOOsacAA8qpZ

FsBJWfvacAApNbv

FsBw1SKaMAAzGnR

FsB552PacAA9IHn

FsB552OacAEB4kd

FsCFTnyacAA06uw

FsBIOOracAATMBF

The statues even serve like Street Lamps, and start to light up where the power button would be (on a real console) during the night.

This is some pretty heavy collaboration, even more so than the Wo Long partnership, and possibly surpassing Oreo.

Last edited:

Three

In what might be the strangest and most all-in marketing partnership in the history of Xbox, Xbox was featured at the jumbotron at a live NBA game, where they also marketed Xbox gear, and apparently invited fans to the game itself,

Then they oddly created and displayed 10ft Xbox Series S statues across California and L.A. based on the "Starting 5" custom NBA consoles,

FrsP3LpagAEqo2F
FrsP3LqakAAZ5Er

FrsP3LnaYAAxetl
FrsP3LpakAASQ4G

FsBIOOsacAA8qpZ

FsBJWfvacAApNbv

FsBw1SKaMAAzGnR

FsB552PacAA9IHn

FsB552OacAEB4kd

FsCFTnyacAA06uw

FsBIOOracAATMBF

The statues even serve like Street Lamps, and start to light up where the power button would be (on a real console) during the night.

This is some pretty heavy collaboration, even more so than the Wo Long partnership, and possibly surpassing Oreo.

Why do you call them statues? Statues are models of living things. The word you're looking for is sculpture.

Last edited:
It must have some effect or else Microsoft wouldn't attempt it but I'll never understand advertising like this. Are fans at NBA games going to be swayed to choose Xbox over Playstation/Nintendo because of these "statues"? Maybe I just underestimate the impact that advertising has on people (including me) but I just don't see how this is worth money for Xbox

Esca

If I didn't know better id think the series s is ms's flagship console. Seems like the x was made to be like hey guys we're next gen to

Spitfire098

Partnering with the lakers this season, who are fighting for a play in spot, is kinda of on brand for Xbox 🤣

Ps: we need a real hater to go and throw a bunch of bird seeds around those boxes/statues?!?

intbal

Planning, Licensing, Permits, Design, Fabrication, Installation.
How much do you figure all that costs?

Barakov

Gold Member

FrsP3LpagAEqo2F
FrsP3LqakAAZ5Er

FrsP3LnaYAAxetl
FrsP3LpakAASQ4G

FsBIOOsacAA8qpZ

FsBJWfvacAApNbv

FsBw1SKaMAAzGnR

FsB552PacAA9IHn

FsB552OacAEB4kd

FsCFTnyacAA06uw

FsBIOOracAATMBF

Xbox really spreading that cheddar around.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How about Xbox makes some fucking games appear instead of shitty statues based on the terrible idea of a console? At least if it was Series X, then I could be happy they are highlighting the one good decision they have made in years.

Planning, Licensing, Permits, Design, Fabrication, Installation.
How much do you figure all that costs?

Depends on how long they are going to stay up/stood up, and how much power they generated to have the lights at the top turn on for ours over night each day. Also the costs of the locations, like the ones at Venice beach for instance probably wasn't cheap just to put any objects there without even considering what the objects were.

But since it's a partner ship with the NBA, I'm sure they paid for some of the bill.

Eotheod

Ah yes, the typical "why are you doing X marketing when you should be making games!" Two completely different parts of the company and budgets drongos, plus you can't just throw money at games and make them "appear." Especially the quality that everyone is so feverishly lashing at Microsoft for, that shit takes years to make.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
This feels like " I exist!!!" kind of marketing. I wouls love for Xbox to do this in other countries like some european capitals. But they should be beyond that in the US I think?

Moses85

Who approved this shit and thought this is good marketing

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Microsoft still has to much money to waste..

BUT they had to fire employees, some month ago.

Top, top Company

Havoc2049

This isn't that much of a stretch really. The Crypto.com Arena and Microsoft Theater (concert venue) are all part of the LA Live Plaza. Every time you go to a Lakers, Clippers or Kings game, you are inundated with Microsoft, Windows, Office and Xbox marketing, banners, etc. There's even an Xbox walk of fame there.

2015_Microsoft_Theater_Exteriors_slide-34b4096cb3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom