• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Might Offer "Timed Slices" Of Games Or Games With Ads

This is a good thing, now Sony and Nintendo can advertise their games and consoles on Xbox! Phil is doing such a terrific job, I think he should begin the in-game ads on Xbox games starting this week by having Sony advertise their showcase for next week, that'll surely seal the deal in the console market!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I was really referring to the Xbox, and X360 generations; it's been fucking shithouse after that.

I love how people describe a console that sold over 50 million units is a "shitshow" and its follow up at 20 million already. You act like they sold 10 million xbox ones and then scrapped the xbox brand. What they did was vastly improve thier hardware and attempt to improve thier software lineup by acquiring large studios.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I think they should concentrate on releasing a steady stream of exclusive games (a high level idea) than tweaking the delivery methods (a lower level idea). Seems to be working to the competition.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I love how people describe a console that sold over 50 million units is a "shitshow" and its follow up at 20 million already. You act like they sold 10 million xbox ones and then scrapped the xbox brand. What they did was vastly improve thier hardware and attempt to improve thier software lineup by acquiring large studios.

Let's take a step back and look at the numbers. The Xbox 360 sold approximately 84 million units over its lifetime. The Xbox One managed to sell around 50 million units, showing a significant decline in sales. This trend seems to be continuing with the Xbox Series X/S, which currently stands at around 18 million units sold, trailing behind Sony's PS5, which is at around 30 million units. The boffins can correct my figures but I think this is the gist of it.

These figures illustrate a declining trend in Xbox console sales, which one might interpret as indicative of mismanagement, particularly of their in-house studios. Microsoft's strategy of acquiring large studios in an attempt to bolster their software lineup has had mixed results, and it's fair to say they have struggled to compete effectively against Sony despite these acquisitions.

I'm a fan of Microsoft's consoles and I've owned each one from launch. I was genuinely impressed by the engineering of the XSX. However, I've been underwhelmed by the first-party output; a key area where Sony and Nintendo excels. I believe, now more strongly than ever, that it's still quality exclusive games that sells consoles, and not services. Not even Game Pass (I have Game Pass Ultimate).

Microsoft doesn’t understand the console business if they think this is a step in the right direction. It’s not hard. You make the games, people will come. Whether that is through Game Pass or traditional sales, it doesn’t really matter. Just release good games at a decent rate and your sales will be competitive. It’s literally that simple.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Ea already did this

i see this as the same as paying for online play. As long as one does it, the others will follow. So if Microsoft want to do it first, and take the PR hit, good for them. If done good, we will not even notice, as assets will change depending on the deal( like seeing more cars of one brand in the next GTA) But they will go overboard.

These figures illustrate a declining trend in Xbox console sales, which one might interpret as indicative of mismanagement,
Nintendo had a worse decline. But nobody claimed that it was from mismanagement, just good competition from Sony and errors like not putting a CD player on the N64. Xbox is not having a Wii U moment.

They suck, but this is in comparison to the leaders. Their marker share is contracting, but they are finding their own clientele that will be forever linked to them with Gamepass. So a huge part of those 20 millions will stay, if Gamepass continue like it is now. They will beat their Xbox One sales numbers. And will have to do better next gen. There is worrying signs, like their sales slow momentum right now. But we are in the beginning of the gen. If they can make a good push with a good showcase and have a AAA game each quarter in 2024 and continue for the remainder of the gen they will reclaim some of their lost ground in the US at least.

The last blunders, like Redfall, will be forgiven if they get better. But this is a shitshow as they are failing from their own mistakes. How many times have they promised the moon, to give us shit games in the end? This is getting ridiculous. And the lost trust is really hard to gain back. In this I agree. In the end we just want games from them. And they do not have yet the reputation that Playstation and Nintendo have. It may take them a decade to go there. Will they even try? Or will they just buy studios each time the old ones stop putting good games? This is my only fear.

mrmustard

Banned
I could imagine that a very cheap Game Pass sub with singleplayer only and an ad every 15 minutes or so could become popular with kids and poor/stingy people. Nothing different than Youtube or all those smartphone games. Maybe even a free version without the newest games.

Last edited:
After this interview, I think management is going batshit insane.
maxresdefault.jpg

Wait, but I bought a Switch OLED a few months ago in anticipation of Zelda TOTK. Does this mean that Nintendo can make it work but not Xbox? :pie_thinking:

mdkirby

I’d personally quite like in game ads, where it makes sense. Billboards, store shelves, car brands all being real brands, it’s grounding for immersion imo. Open a fridge in a game and see coca cola and bud vs made up nonsense brands just makes sense to me. Because it’s just a texture too, they could be dynamic and sold to advertisers interchangeably.

Would obviously only be viable on games with an appropriate setting, but something like gta for example would be perfect.

Historically some brands have shied away from such things as they don’t want their brand potentially represented in a poor light. For example some of the few games that have done this is racing games, with real cars. But the manufacturers would often put limits on the level of destructibility/damage that could be shown on the vehicle because they didn’t want people to see smash to bits Mercedes etc.

Obviously if you rob a convenience store in GTA and massacre everyone, and among the bodies and pools of blood there is burst cans of Coca Cola all over the floor and a blood splattered sign for mars bars which is shared on twitch etc, I could see why brands may be hesitant.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m starting to hate Xbox and Microsoft. They aren’t even as successful as they were in the 360 era, but the facade they’ve built up since has slipped and they’re yet again revealing their ugly disgusting plans for the future of this industry. Crap games, broken promises but the priority is ‘how can we exploit the consumer beyond acceptability’. That’s all they want to do.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Let's take a step back and look at the numbers. The Xbox 360 sold approximately 84 million units over its lifetime. The Xbox One managed to sell around 50 million units, showing a significant decline in sales. This trend seems to be continuing with the Xbox Series X/S, which currently stands at around 18 million units sold, trailing behind Sony's PS5, which is at around 30 million units. The boffins can correct my figures but I think this is the gist of it.

These figures illustrate a declining trend in Xbox console sales, which one might interpret as indicative of mismanagement, particularly of their in-house studios. Microsoft's strategy of acquiring large studios in an attempt to bolster their software lineup has had mixed results, and it's fair to say they have struggled to compete effectively against Sony despite these acquisitions.

I'm a fan of Microsoft's consoles and I've owned each one from launch. I was genuinely impressed by the engineering of the XSX. However, I've been underwhelmed by the first-party output; a key area where Sony and Nintendo excels. I believe, now more strongly than ever, that it's still quality exclusive games that sells consoles, and not services. Not even Game Pass (I have Game Pass Ultimate).

I dont disagree with any of that. But it's hardly a "shitshow". It's more like a mixed bag of good and bad, with some success. Some companies would be very happy with the position.they are in, even if it is 3rd place. And they are still well positioned to move forward with some improvements.

Last edited:

GHG

No she is literally talking about timed demos. And they’ve been talking about an ad supported tier of GamePass for awhile now.

I'm curious, given how long they've been giving gamepass away for $1 along with all the other tricks/loopholes, who exactly are all these people who can afford a console and need gamepass to literally be free and supported by ads in order to play games?

No, just no.

If the game is compelling enough people will buy it. If it’s free, compelling and has reasonable monetisation then people will spend money.

I play games to escape. I don’t want unnecessary intrusions.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
In an interview with Rolling Stones UK, Bond was asked how developers can see success on Xbox. She said, "Game Pass is an option for developers," then explained how Game Pass is just one of many business models by saying, "You have pay-to-play, then there was free-to-play, and then we introduced Game Pass."
Bond says Xbox is looking into other strategies, too."We've talked about how we're experimenting with other models, like what does it mean for advertising in games which is more prevalent in mobile--are there models of that that work well in PC and console?

For me personally...
EddvMkp.gif
ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
many many years ago I gave up piracy. If my singleplayer games on PC come with ads, I'm going back. Same with Netflix and all other services. If I get one ad I'm going to cancel that shit and just start downloading again. Corporations are gonna get a wake up call soon enough if they keep trying to do scummy shit.

Nydius

Anyone else remember the ad-filled shithole that was the first year or so of Burnout Paradise? I sure as hell do. The city was littered with big billboards and building signs that would post up unavoidable ads. Burger King, Taco Bell, Mountain Dew, I even remember seeing goddamn Obama 2008 campaign billboards.

I never want to see “ad subsidized” bullshit in PC or console games again. Especially not in full priced games or added to a subscription that’s already supposed to be the “premium” tier.

ProtoByte

And people want her to be the future of Xbox. I could smell the corporate sleezeball a mile away. Wake up sheeple.
There was never any possibility of anything else. This is what Microsoft wants to do with gaming. Spencer, Bond, it doesn't matter. Whoever takes over is under the mandates of Nadella and a Microsoft anchored by subscriptions and Azure.

kyussman

I feel like shouting at someone over there.....just make great games and I'll be interested in Xbox.....but when the CEO thinks otherwise,it's hard to know what to say.

cireza

Put ads in my games and I will stop playing them. Simple solution really. And when I will be fed up with this shit, everything will go through the window.

Thankfully no one will be taking away my retro console setup. At least the experience there is set in stone.

NickFire

In theory this does not sound all that bad to me. But here's the spoiler for the ending:

1) Cheaper ad option becomes a thing.
2) After a while it goes up to the same price as the regular price offering, and the regular price offering gets jacked up really high.

Kilau

I remember some big meltdowns and concern from people about devs being forced to create demo trials for PS Plus.

Crayon

Sure are a lot of people reacting like master chief shuts off the warthog and turns to the camera to sell you nikes. Either I missed something or we have only the vaguest idea what she's talking about. It might just be a Nike bumper sticker.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No shock people hate anything Xbox even if it's free games around here.
Not sure how you can expect any rational core gamer (someone who primarily plays on console or PC) to positively interpret this statement:

We've talked about how we're experimenting with other models, like what does it mean for advertising in games which is more prevalent in mobile--are there models of that that work well in PC and console?

Especially after Xbox’s disaster month.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Imagine artificially long loading times to support your Ad business.

You say that, but there's a franchise called Akiba something, I played the PS4 entry and that game has legit real world Japanese products that appear on the loading screens.

There is an option to disable the ads in the games options, and if you disable it, the load times definitely get a little bit faster.

sachos

You say that, but there's a franchise called Akiba something, I played the PS4 entry and that game has legit real world Japanese products that appear on the loading screens.

There is an option to disable the ads in the games options, and if you disable it, the load times definitely get a little bit faster.
Akiba's Trip? Fuck, they actually thought about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom